GL1800Riders Forums banner

Left Compartment Questions

853 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Omega 
#1 ·
Has anyone removed the coin holder from the left hand compartment? It just seems like a waste of usable space to me.

another question, I plan on putting an outlet in the left side compartment and wonder how to run a charging cable out of the pocket to charge a phone or other device on a handle bar mount?... and hopefully keep the pocket door shut and protected from the elements?

I figure one way I could do it is to run a weather protected power outlet to the compartment door and mount it thru the door?

#2 ·
Has anyone removed the coin holder from the left hand compartment? It just seems like a waste of usable space to me.

another question, I plan on putting an outlet in the left side compartment and wonder how to run a charging cable out of the pocket to charge a phone or other device on a handle bar mount?... and hopefully keep the pocket door shut and protected from the elements?

I figure one way I could do it is to run a weather protected power outlet to the compartment door and mount it thru the door?
Coin holder? Is that a feature on the '12 and up, or is it something the PO added? (My '08 doesn't have a coin holder in the left pocket... Maybe my PO removed it.)

Charging cable - some will route the cable out through a small hole in the bottom (or side) of the pocket - into the guts of the fairing - then out to the steering head and up the handlebars (following established cable path). That way they can unplug from the power socket when it's not needed (typically it will be a USB cable). I plan to do this sometime - when I get the ambition. :grin2:

#5 ·
Yep... looks like it just pops out or unclips somehow. There are molded tabs in that compartment that probably accommodate that holder somehow.

I have a 12v lighter wired in the front of that compartment. That serves as my outlet for any 12v needs.... including phone charger.... as well as a ciggy lighter.

#6 · (Edited)
To run a wire from the power outlet to the handlebars I cut a very small gap in the lip of the box that seals against the lid. I can quickly and easily remove the cord without removing the box. I figure if water gets in that small gap I'm probably up to my neck in it anyways. In the remote possibility that I do get water penetration what's gonna get wet??....the coil of extra cord?
I've actually cut away enough to get two cords out- one to the Garmin, another for a headphone cord extension to my iPhone so I can listen to my tunes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.