Anyone have a Texport Airtrak jacket they can review?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone have a Texport Airtrak jacket they can review?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Anyone have a Texport Airtrak jacket they can review?

I'm looking at purchasing one, and wanted to see if anyone here has heard of them or has owned one. If so... I'd love a review of it.

They are made by Fulmer (Fulmer Helmets), and I can't find any reviews of them online anywhere.

Here's the info from the Fulmer website:

Texport Airtrak <--Click

Part Number: TJ14
    • All season jacket
    • Combination leather and breathable polymesh
    • Zip out waterproof/breathable insulated liner
    • Waterproof zip out liner without insulation, available only with Platinum
    • Removable CE armor
    • Optional waterproof, rain liner without insulation for hot weather riding

Thanks guys!
    Bob

2001 YZF 426
    2005 YZF R6
    2009 GSXR 750
    2006 GL1800 Titanium

"Maine... the way life should be."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Bumpity...

It appears no one else had heard of them. That definitely goes into my decision. Thought I'd check one more time first though. Thanks guys!

Bob

2001 YZF 426
    2005 YZF R6
    2009 GSXR 750
    2006 GL1800 Titanium

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you have to be the first one.
    Greg

Current Stable:
    2008 GL1800 Level 3 W\2010 Motortrike Adventure IRS Kit
    1999 Valkyrie Interstate W\2002 Lehman Trike Kit
    2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Girlfriends)
    1996 Bunkhouse Trailer
    1999 Harbor Fright Piggy Trailer
    Derek Weaver W-1500 Motorcycle Lift
    GWRRA Pennsylvania Chapter "D"

I always have the time to answer a PM.
    I believe in helping fellow bikers and when possible paying it forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott1 View Post
    Sometimes you have to be the first one.
    A trailblazer!

Alrighty... well, I'll just throw this out there. I've only found a couple of online retailers for these jackets.

Beggars Pouch Leather sells it for $170
    Walter Dryer sells it for $149
    Gene's Gallery sells it for $89

But... there's a seller on eBay selling them for $74.99

The price variation is huge. I was assuming that these were old stock or something. But I contacted the ebay seller and he said they had just placed their order with Fulmer in November for these. So... they are recent stock. If that's the case... and the ebay seller is still making money on them, then they can't be that much to manufacture.

That's why I was hoping someone had a review on the quality. But... I may just spend the money and be the trailblazer.
    Bob

2001 YZF 426
    2005 YZF R6
    2009 GSXR 750
    2006 GL1800 Titanium

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW - here's my thoughts:

It's been my experience that when you find an item with such a LARGE price variation, one of two possibilities exist: either A) the product is likely a mass manufactered item (probably made in China) where QA is little to non-existent so that some sellers receive discounts for buying a large order of "rejects" or "seconds" that have some small or hard-to-see defects . . . or B) an established company wanting to make inroads into a competetive markert with a new product, will sell an item as a "loss leader", selling it at greatly reduced purchase price in order to break into the market. Quality of the product is not usually in question (but could be, if the company has not sufficiently prepared its manufacturing process for this type of item).

Without an evaluation from a real user or other reviews of this product, it is anyone's guess which scenario this jacket represents.

I noticed that this item, and other motorcycle jackets made by this company usually describe their jackets as "abrasion resistent polymesh", with denier levels of 500 max. To me, that indicates a jacket of less than ideal protection (I want denier of 700 or more) -- which is another reason why it might be so inexpensive. And even though this jacket is described as a combination of leather and breathable polymesh, the leather looks more like it was meant for "style". It does not appear to be placed on the jacket where it would do the most good in protecting you from abrasion!

I could be very wrong, but to me all the above makes me wonder whether or not this is a quality product that will provide the kind of adequate protection I would be lookinig for. Of course, your reasons for buying a riding jacket may be entirely different.
    Santa Cruz Beach Boy
    2007 Dark Cherry Red/(Pearl Burgundy) GL1800: "Wings of Freedom"

Post Thanks / Like

If you still need a review let me know and what aspects would be most important to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Murry,

I'm definitely interested in a review. I actually wore this jacket on a bike rental I did for one (fair weather) day. (See pic below) It was the supplied rental jacket. It was quite comfortable and fit well... but I didn't know too much else about the jacket nor do I really remember much about it, so I'm very interested in anyone who's had it for more than a day and can honestly review it.

Looking for performance in cold, heat, and general wear and tear, fit & function (safety & protection), etc.

Thanks!

Bob

The rental jacket I wore:

Last edited by GLFlyer; 11-06-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    Bob

2001 YZF 426
    2005 YZF R6
    2009 GSXR 750
    2006 GL1800 Titanium

Post Thanks / Like

Default Texport Airtrak jacket review

First of all sorry for the delay, second of all this will probably be a pretty haphazard review and I may miss a lot of key points that are important to you/others so please feel free to ask.

Background - I have owned the TJ14 for about four years now and it is my first textile jacket so I only have leather to compare to personally. When I was searching for a replacement jacket from my previous leather I was pretty skeptical about textile and had never heard of Texport (now owned by Fulmer of the Helmet fame) however thus far I have been more then satisfied with it and don't leave home without it. As a side note I ride a bare bike with no fairings or wind protection whatsoever.

Cold - I live in MA and ride in all weather above ~35 degrees. As for cold performance (liner in) I am extremely impressed. The strategically placed straps around the base of the jacket, wrists, and sleeves allow for excellent air flow management and really allow you to tighten the jacket up (which also speaks to the comfort). With just a basic long sleeve t-shirt I am quite comfortable down to about 45 degrees however below that there is very slight air penetration through the zipper (there is no internal or external flap to cover the zipper) due to the liner not overlapping and I throw on an additional layer. I have also worn it snowmobiling at a much lower temperature and was comfortable throughout.

Heat - As for heat just remove the liner (which is quite easily done as it just zips in and out then buttons at the ends of the sleeves) and it is virtually like wearing a t-shirt. There is excellent ventilation as the majority of the jacket is a mesh material that allows great airflow. I am constantly asked on a 95 degree day, "aren't you hot in that," and my response is always no hotter then I would be without.

Wear and Tear - First off I haven't taken care of it what so ever beyond washing the liner once recently. The jacket overall has held up very well with only the leather strip across the breast fading and showing some wear due to me riding rather frequently in the rain and not making any effort to care for it. Additionally the buttons inside the ends of the sleeves that anchor the liner have fallen off about four years in however the sleeves stay well enough in position without them that it hasn't bothered me at all. Finally the little tab that hangs off the zipper that said Texport on it ripped off about two years in. The zipper itself is in perfect working order, it was just the little additional doodad which i suppose made it easier to zip the jacket with heavy gloves on but really mattered not overall.

Fit and Function - This is obviously one of the more subjective areas but it personally fits me very well and my girlfriend bought virtually the identical jacket in a smaller size and it fits her perfectly too. Like I said earlier there are many different ways to adjust the jacket to your preference but just be sure to buy the size that you feel most comfortable it. As for function it has three+one pockets, two outside, one inside, one in the liner that are all good size (except the liner one is more designed for a cell phone). I can fit my wallet, cell phone, and keys all in one pocket if need be. The jacket itself is water proof as far as I am concerned except in a very heavy downpour at high speeds, especially behind vehicles, as the water can penetrate the zipper and there can be a slight leakage down the neck because it is not sealed at the top. That is with the basic jacket and liner that comes with it, I am not familiar with the "waterproof zip out liner without insulation."

Safety and Protection - I have never been down with the jacket before so I personally have not truly put it to the test. As for protection from the elements and road debris it is excellent. I have a good many rocks/sticks/acorns/bugs/heavy rain or what have you bounce off the jacket nary a thought even at very high speeds. The removable armor certainly feels quite protective and the mesh itself feels quite road rash resistant but those are just my opinions. My only complaint along these lines would be I wish there was a bit more reflectivity for night riding.

My only additional thought is since Texport's transition to Fulmer the customer service has been excellent. I asked a care instruction question and received a response less then a day later with a follow up and a thoughtful answer hours after that. If you have any additional questions or need any clarification feel free to ask.

-Murry
    Last edited by Murry; 11-07-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GLFlyer View Post
    A trailblazer!

Alrighty... well, I'll just throw this out there. I've only found a couple of online retailers for these jackets.

Beggars Pouch Leather sells it for $170
    Walter Dryer sells it for $149
    Gene's Gallery sells it for $89

But... there's a seller on eBay selling them for $74.99

The price variation is huge. I was assuming that these were old stock or something. But I contacted the ebay seller and he said they had just placed their order with Fulmer in November for these. So... they are recent stock. If that's the case... and the ebay seller is still making money on them, then they can't be that much to manufacture.

That's why I was hoping someone had a review on the quality. But... I may just spend the money and be the trailblazer.
    GLFyer, I bought the Texport Tourtrak jacket, it is more of a cold weather jacket. It seems to be a decent quality jacket, it does a good job with the cold. Do a little homework, and you will find that your best prices are on ebay. I bought mine while on a trip to Arkansas, at a certain good size Honda dealer down there. They have them priced at a $100 bucks more than you can get them at the ebay dealer, but he did come down quite a bit since they were on sale.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.