left knock sensor removal and replacement GL 1800
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: left knock sensor removal and replacement GL 1800

Post Thanks / Like

Red face left knock sensor removal and replacement GL 1800

My 2003 gl1800 is giving me a code 26 which is the left side knock sensor from what I see. The sensor is pricy about $100.00. From the service manual it looks like the sensor can be accessed after the front lower cowling has been removed. Am I correct? What do i need to know to replace it. Step by step procedure would help immensely. Thank you

Thanks everyone, I bought the sensor and took the bike apart to find the wire had disconnected from the sensor and all I needed was to reattach the wire. Shawn at Western Honda Scottsdale was kind enough to take back the sensor with a $20.00 restocking fee. I had opened the package to examine the sensor so honda itself would not take it back. I also agreed to buy a further$100.00 of stuff from him. I felt he was really fair. He was also $25.00 plus cheaper for the sensor than other dealers
    Last edited by Rae; 02-19-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: job completed

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    My 2003 gl1800 is giving me a code 26 which is the left side knock sensor from what I see. The sensor is pricy about $100.00. From the service manual it looks like the sensor can be accessed after the front lower cowling has been removed. Am I correct? What do i need to know to replace it. Step by step procedure would help immensely. Thank you

A couple of years ago, I had that same problem with left bank sensor code showing on my ST1300. However, after the dealer replaced the part, it still displayed that fault. After many days in the shop, they finally discovered that the actual problem was a faulty ECM.

Post Thanks / Like

It is down under the bottom and kind of hard to get to , but not a big problem. I had my bike torn apart to replace the main wire harness because the wire going to the knock sensor was severed. Thus, I cannot give you a step by step, but I don't think it should be too hard to change out if that is indeed the problem.

The wire that goes to it is part of the main harness and is a shielded cable. Before I replaced it, I would sure try to make sure the wire is still plugged in to the sensor. The "top" end is wired right into the main harness, so the only connection to easily check is the bottom plug.

This is a picture of the plug (broken). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3070165.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	50525

This is how it looked up on the front end when I did the replacement-you will not need to disassemble this much though. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5050178.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	50526

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    This is how I did a right one.

- remove front cowl
    - remove front exaust sheild (1 bolt up front and 2 black nuts then pull down from front and then pull forward)
    - remove wire
    - unscrew sensor using a socket and wobbly. Use your new sensor for socket size and put nothing on the theads

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago, I had that same problem with left bank sensor code showing on my ST1300. However, after the dealer replaced the part, it still displayed that fault. After many days in the shop, they finally discovered that the actual problem was a faulty ECM.

Ditto for me also except mine was a right knock sensor on my 01 GL1800A. I had to replace the ECM.
    2001 GL1800A Interceptor/illusion red
    Florida Prowler #100

"Freedom is the length of the chain between a stake in the ground and reality"

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Before you spend the money for the sensor, you should pull both, left and right off and reinstall them on the opposite side. If it still throws the same code it's likely to be the ECM or the wires. If the sensor really is bad, you will get a new code for the right side.
    GO UK Wildcats, C.A.T.S. Cats! Cats! Cats!
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by techdude2000 View Post
    Before you spend the money for the sensor, you should pull both, left and right off and reinstall them on the opposite side. If it still throws the same code it's likely to be the ECM or the wires. If the sensor really is bad, you will get a new code for the right side.
    This is what i did and turned out to be faulty ECM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.