Roadsmith tire wear
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roadsmith tire wear

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roadsmith tire wear

The rear tires on my Roadsmith wear on the inside 3" and not on the outside. Does anyone know how to adjust the camber on these VW axles? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

I would contact Road Smith because this doesn't sound right. I'm sure they can help you.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like to much squat in the rear...Jack the rear end up (STABLE) at the rearend allowing the axles to hang. The rear shocks are adjustable with a progressive shock wrench, if they are set on the first or second notch they're to loose, just turn the shock body to make the shock more stable. Lower it back down and check the footprint by rolling it thru a patch of water and look at the foot print. If your installer hooked up your dash shock adjuster (I use 20 setting) that will adjust the stiffness of the stabilizer bar under the bike....also make sure you have 25 PSI in those rears. Once I got all of this adjusted I no longer have roll of the body, 25 PSI keeps the patch square on the ground and after I stiffened the Stabilizer bar up what a difference. Squating will make it seem stable to ride unless you push it then it could roll up.....Make sure everything is tight while your under there..good luck...a better ride is ahead!!

Go to here and download the installation instructions for your year model: http://www.trikeshop.com/trikes/HT1800

Its under downloads...
    Last edited by solidbob; 02-10-2012 at 06:34 PM.

IBA#5831
    Life Member NRA, HOG, AMA

"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Solidbob hit it on the head for my tire wear issue. I have a Roadsmith kit also and was experiencing the exact same tire wear pattern. It turn out that I was running too much pressure in the rear tires (not run 25 lbs.), the shocks were set too stiff, and the load adjuster was being run too low (now 25). It took me a set of tires to figure it out. Thought it was my tire size at first (225-40-ZR18 ) but I now have almost 30K on this set of tires and still have many more miles left on the tread.

I don't think there's a way to adjust the camber/caster on the rear wheels on the Roadsmith kits.

Good luck and ride safe!
    06' GL1800, Heat, Nav., Premium Sound
    Roadsmith trike kit
    Gobs of farkles

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.