Fog lights interfering with radio
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fog lights interfering with radio

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fog lights interfering with radio

Had my 2012 at the dealer today for the second time. When I turn my fog lights on while playing the FM it causes the signal to fade pretty severely. The dealer pulled out several 2012 models to check and see if it was related to a specific type of fog light. My bike as well as three other new ones all did it no matter what brand of lights that were used. The dealer called Honda in California to see if they were aware of the problem. They said that this is the first they had heard of it. Have any of you experienced this? it is hard to believe that this is not a wide spread problem if four out of four 2012 models all did it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

What brand of fog lights do you have if I may ask?
    2007 dark blue Navi
    Traxxion "Mega Monty"
    IBA #54656

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The light/radio interference was mentioned in at least one other thread I've read. I've put off installing any lower lights until there's more info...type and manufacturer of lights for example. At this point I assume it's a signal to noise problem, with the radio noise from the lights being loud and masking the signal.

Gary
    Last edited by Bike36; 02-17-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    2013 F6B Deluxe Red Geezer Wing
    And 43 others in the rear view mirrors since 1960

Post Thanks / Like

I have the genuine Hondaline fog lights and haven't experienced any problem.
    Proud owner of a 2012 Ultra Blue Level 4 from Schroaders Honda.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fog lights

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    What brand of fog lights do you have if I may ask?
    My lights are the kit from big bike parts, but the dealer also tested the Honda lights and they did the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I had alot of problems on my 08 Airbag trying to use EC's High Output Fog lights and the CB radio. Really liked the lights but the squelch had to be turned up to 18 before the radio would cutting off. Same lights worked fine on a base model. Nothing we tried worked. Lewis was a big help but we never resolved the problem. I now have the Hondaline LEDs and they work fine...Hope this helps...

"First Run Flat Tires on a Two Wheeler"
    2012 GL 1800 ABS
    2008 GL 1800 Airbag
    2002 GL 1800 Level 1
    1978 GL 1000 "Outrageous"
    1973 CB 750 Gold
    Darksider #443

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevimc View Post
    My lights are the kit from big bike parts, but the dealer also tested the Honda lights and they did the same thing.
    Is the problem present on AM, CB (AM), and FM?
    Is it across the frequency spectrum, or on specific or periodic or repeating frequencies?
    What do you hear in the audio when the lights are enabled on AM and FM? An increase in white background noise? A specific buzzing or odd sound?
    Does it happen when the engine is stopped and running only on the battery?

You mentioned the dealer experienced the same problem with bikes with Honda lights. Did he park your's next to it and listen on yours for any interference from the other bike's lights, or visa versa? If it's on all, forget that test.

There's folks here that have similar lights. Do they have a similar problem?

My 2012's in the shop for warranty work and I don't have running lights yet or I'd contribute to the observations.

Gary

Edit: One thing that may help is to pinpoint the noise source(s). Take a portable AM/FM radio, turn it to each mode on low volume on a noisy frequency caused by the lights, then hold it near the lighted fog lights and elsewhere around the bike to find the loudest source. Try it with engine stopped, then again with the engine running. It might make more interfereing noise, or whatever it is you're hearing, next to the lights themselves if they're the problem. It may also be heard near the rear antenna (?), or in the bike's wiring near the relay panel under the seat (?). Not sure. Finding the loudest source should help Honda fix it. If the lights contain a noisy electrical circuit (?) that could be the problem.
    Last edited by Bike36; 02-18-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    2013 F6B Deluxe Red Geezer Wing
    And 43 others in the rear view mirrors since 1960

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.