What weight engine oil do you use in your Wing?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What weight engine oil do you use in your Wing?

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What weight engine oil do you use in your Wing?

Manual says 10W-30 - do you run 10W-40 and if so why? I would think the thicker oil might be better for shifting and if you live in a really hot climate. What oil comes from the factory - 10W30 Honda dyno oil I imagine? I read awhile back and don't have the article that Honda oils tested very poorly for quality and I found that interesting. I will most likely go with Mobil1 Motorcycle oil 10W40 (run it in my Valkyrie and have had good luck)

Thanks,

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Use what you want. the owners manual in my 08 says 10-30 OR 10-40, some vary but use what it says (or close). Change it every 8K ish and enjoy the bike.
    Last edited by TXREALTOR; 02-26-2012 at 12:59 PM.
    Cheers and Good Riding, Keith
    DROP, FALL, AND DOWN ARE 4 LETTER WORDS
    I, my typing, and spelling are far from perfect. Get over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mobil 1 Full Synthetic

I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motorcycle racing 4T oil, 10W-40. Currently on sale at Advance Auto Parts for $7.99 qt. Buy online and pickup in store, get 20% off. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...campaign=mobil 1 oil filter&utm_content=broad

Edit: appears the 20% off does not apply to the oil sale price, but does apply for filters, etc. Code P20.

Last edited by ssncob; 02-26-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: discount revision
    Double Darksider #847
    IBA #54767 BB1500+
    Patriot Guard
    "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
    President John F. Kennedy

Post Thanks / Like

10W-50 Moto, wet clutch specific group V synthetic ....

2008 Metallic Red Airbagger Hannigan Trike
    2010 Triumph Street Triple RR
    2006 ST1300

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Honda full-synth (10W-30) is blended by Idemitsu in Indiana; the Mazda (rotary) racing team in Japan was very impressed by it for NO wear on the rotary race engines after tons of abuse. Almost the same exact oil, less the moly content. Works great in MY GL1800.

Honda now recommends 10W-30 for most temp ranges.

Any quality motorcycle-specific (non energy/resource conserving) oil that meets the specs in the owners manual will work just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

SuperTech Full Synthetic 10W30 from Wal-Mart along with a SuperTech filter.

Paul
    02 Wing "Black Beauty"
    Jacksonville, Fl..
    Darksider #1212 Michelin Alpin RF 195/55R16 36psi

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 10-40. Seems to work pretty good for me.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssncob View Post
    I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motorcycle racing 4T oil, 10W-40.....
    +1
    MSF Instructor
    1968 Honda mini Z50
    1978 Kawasaki KD 80
    1987 Suzuki Intruder 850
    "02" BMW R1150R
    "01" GL1800 "Blue Whale"
    Darkside #877 dun 195/55-16rf sp sport 14,000,
    Current rear tire GoodYear Assurance Triple Tread 205/60 -16 23,000 and still going

Post Thanks / Like

Shell 5-40 syn
    2012 BLACK
    NC700X
    DARKSIDER 89
    B/S 709 F & Michelin alpin pa3 R

Post Thanks / Like

Vegetable
    ------------------------------------------------------
    IBA #40554 -1,050 miles in 24hrs
    2006 GL1800 Pearl White Audio/Comfort/Nav
    2003 Yamaha YZ250
    2001 Yamaha TTR225 (Wife's)

Post Thanks / Like

First break in oil change coming at 1,000 miles (Almost there), then going to 10-40 Syn AMSOIL, plus change the rear end to AMSOIL syn oil at the same time.

I am from the oil school of oil knowledge and to change the oil & rear end at 1,000, to get all that crud oil out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lobsterbake View Post
    Manual says 10W-30 - do you run 10W-40 and if so why? I would think the thicker oil might be better for shifting and if you live in a really hot climate. What oil comes from the factory - 10W30 Honda dyno oil I imagine? I read awhile back and don't have the article that Honda oils tested very poorly for quality and I found that interesting. I will most likely go with Mobil1 Motorcycle oil 10W40 (run it in my Valkyrie and have had good luck)

Thanks,

Mark
    If your buddy Manual says 10W30, why not listen to him? Thicker oil might be better for shifting and might not. I say listen to your buddy Manual. If you follow what good old Manual says, you won't go wrong.
    Captain J & The Admiral

Post Thanks / Like

The mechanic I use that's been working on'em for 35 years recommended 10-40W (said the 10-30 was something they did to get better mileage and to be more green or eco freely but he recommended 40w because he thought it was better for the bike). He also said (and this just his opinion! :>) to give the bike appox 4K miles before going synthetic for break in. And he recommended Amsoil 10-40w for that too). He also said if you didnt mind changing oil more often regular oil would do fine.... especially if you dont drive enough to change it every year (since you should change it at least annually no matter what).

Post Thanks / Like

AMSOIL 10-40

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Come springtime I am going to give Moby 1 15W-50 a try. I have used it for 17 years in my PC800 with no complaints. It is within the range that Honda recommends for the GL1800 so I'm going to give it try. I know that my bike seemed to like the Moby 1 5W-40 diesel formula but not sure that I will be able to tell any difference.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil

In my 06' Wing or my new Harley.. I only Run this. Not cheap but great stuff =

Unlike many so-called synthetics, Spectro Platinum Synthetic is a true synthetic, crafted on a batch-by-batch basis from modern Group IV PAO ( polyalphaolefin ) synthetic base Stocks.You can't buy a better Oil !

Platinum Full Synthetic is the ultimate synthetic engine lubricant. Exceeds all known motorcycle manufacturer’s warranty requirements, plus A.P.I. SG/SH/JASO MA. Smoother shifting, reduced friction, increased horsepower, highest shear stability. For street or track.

Murf

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys and Gals,
    It's mAR. 2 already. The winter oil thread has expired. Answers to all additional questions can be found in your owners' manual. Additional answers posted here are to be ignored. Sae 'em 'till next winter.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

NO NO NO !!!

1. Rear-end oil in the GL1800 contains moly from the factory, and is supposed to be left in until the first change interval as specified by the owners manual! DO NOT change it prematurely, regardless of your "old school" notions.

2. Changing the engine oil/filter before the specified 4k (first change) is totally unnecessary; the modern materials and refined production tolerances of today combined with the totally under-stressed GL1800 power plant and today's oils make 4k before changing very reasonable.

Enjoy your ride.

Quote Originally Posted by FairlaneDA View Post
    First break in oil change coming at 1,000 miles (Almost there), then going to 10-40 Syn AMSOIL, plus change the rear end to AMSOIL syn oil at the same time.

I am from the oil school of oil knowledge and to change the oil & rear end at 1,000, to get all that crud oil out.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobplane777 View Post
    The mechanic I use that's been working on'em for 35 years recommended 10-40W (said the 10-30 was something they did to get better mileage and to be more green or eco freely but he recommended 40w because he thought it was better for the bike). He also said (and this just his opinion! :>) to give the bike appox 4K miles before going synthetic for break in. And he recommended Amsoil 10-40w for that too). He also said if you didnt mind changing oil more often regular oil would do fine.... especially if you dont drive enough to change it every year (since you should change it at least annually no matter what).
    I'm not taking issue with the opinion of the mechanic but do point out that metalurgy, machining techniques/tolerances, oil chemistry, engine management systems have evolved considerably in 35 years. I would stick with the engine manufacturer's recommendations regarding viscosity range and oil chemistry specifications.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssncob View Post
    I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motorcycle racing 4T oil, 10W-40. Currently on sale at Advance Auto Parts for $7.99 qt. Buy online and pickup in store, get 20% off. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...campaign=mobil 1 oil filter&utm_content=broad

Edit: appears the 20% off does not apply to the oil sale price, but does apply for filters, etc. Code P20.

Thanks ...got mine ordered for pick up today.....However..... you can only get 4 qts at that price.

Mark
    Ride On!
    '08 Titanium Wing Comfort/Navi
    '07 Trekker DL185 Trailer
    AMA & NRA Member
    DSi # 563
    Hankook Ventus V4

Post Thanks / Like

I think my oil weighs about seven pounds per gallon. ba da bump

prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Post Thanks / Like

Oil?? uh oh.....more mischief....Lol.

I have come to the conclusion as I get older that light oil is a good thing. You see I have to carry it to the shopping cart , then to the bike or jeep....all the carrying it around is tiring and I do wish to conserve energy.....

I figure light oil is good oil.

Kit
    " The GL1800 " A grand motorcycle it is. For touring,fun and to see the world there is no other like it. Big and powerful and comfortable for those cross country rides. Also perhaps the very ultimate ambassador to itself and to those who ride it and meet new friends at the many meets and activities this machine brings to the equation.

Post Thanks / Like

AMSOIL 10w-40 Motorcycle oil. Transmission shifts much smoother and quieter than with the Honda GN4 oil or the Shell syn 5w-40. In fact I drained the blue jug Shell oil slightly under 1000 miles of use. My Valkery did good with the Shell oil, my Goldwing not so good. I know clean oil is always the best kind and my only intent was to quieten the Honda Clunk on shifting. I've only driven with the AMSOIL slighly over 1100 miles. Transmission is still smooth and many times I can go thur the gears without any shift noise, so far zero Clunks.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by esmith1721 View Post
    AMSOIL 10w-40 Motorcycle oil. Transmission shifts much smoother and quieter than with the Honda GN4 oil or the Shell syn 5w-40. In fact I drained the blue jug Shell oil slightly under 1000 miles of use. My Valkery did good with the Shell oil, my Goldwing not so good. I know clean oil is always the best kind and my only intent was to quieten the Honda Clunk on shifting. I've only driven with the AMSOIL slighly over 1100 miles. Transmission is still smooth and many times I can go thur the gears without any shift noise, so far zero Clunks.
    I suggest that you only install motor oil in goldwings that meets the specifications cited by Honda in the Owners' Manual in the viscosity range that is appropriate for the climate and season, internet rumors and sales pitches not withstanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben721364 View Post
    I suggest that you only install motor oil in goldwings that meets the specifications cited by Honda in the Owners' Manual in the viscosity range that is appropriate for the climate and season, internet rumors and sales pitches not withstanding.

I sugest that you use whatever oil you choose in YOUR Goldwing....oh yeah..that's right.......

Those who don't ride....preach

Last edited by Spencer; 03-04-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    2008 Metallic Red Airbagger Hannigan Trike
    2010 Triumph Street Triple RR
    2006 ST1300

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    I sugest that you use whatever oil you choose in YOUR Goldwing....oh yeah..that's right....... . .
    It certainly will not bother me if you pour milk of magnesia in your motorcycle engine crankcase. It might even be a good idea in your case.

Seriously, I trust engine manufacturers' recommendations with respect to lubrication requirements.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Aeroshell because my gw flys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben721364 View Post

Seriously, I trust engine manufacturers' recommendations with respect to lubrication requirements.
    Captain J & The Admiral

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    In my 06' Wing or my new Harley.. I only Run this. Not cheap but great stuff =

Unlike many so-called synthetics, Spectro Platinum Synthetic is a true synthetic, crafted on a batch-by-batch basis from modern Group IV PAO ( polyalphaolefin ) synthetic base Stocks.You can't buy a better Oil !

Platinum Full Synthetic is the ultimate synthetic engine lubricant. Exceeds all known motorcycle manufacturer’s warranty requirements, plus A.P.I. SG/SH/JASO MA. Smoother shifting, reduced friction, increased horsepower, highest shear stability. For street or track.

What is that stuff, $18 a quart??? That's a whole lot of money for just one quart of oil.
    "When your head get's bigger than your heart your in trouble" - Carlos Santana

2012 Candy Red Navi
    GWRRA Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jschiner View Post
    What is that stuff, $18 a quart??? That's a whole lot of money for just one quart of oil.

Didn't you read the advertisement? It is the best thing to ever happen to an internal combustion engine! It may even cure low testosterone and male pattern baldness along with several other scourges on humanity. Man get with the program.

LMAO
    Cheers and Good Riding, Keith
    DROP, FALL, AND DOWN ARE 4 LETTER WORDS
    I, my typing, and spelling are far from perfect. Get over it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.