Modular Helmet - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modular Helmet

Post Thanks / Like

Default Neotec Shoei

Bought the neotec(shoei) at bob's cycle in the twin cities sat. and am having the J&M 629 system installed at Dr.Mudspringers in the cities and should have it by middle of week.The helmet fit like a glove and from all my reseach is the less noisey of all the high end helmets I never paid so much for a helmet coming in at 930.00 with lower cord So when the snow melts in a couple week's I will tell you guy's if I screwed up or not All I know is it will be alot BETTER then my HJC symax II with a air rider headset that is 7 plus years old and noisier than hell and hot, plus leak's water down inside of shield when raining and fog's up with extreme temp. changes Hoping won't need another helmet for atleast another 10 years
    "2nd place is the first loser"
    "IBA #42136" Darkside #1151
    ""2009 L.E metallic blue wing"
    "Traxxion full monty with upper/lower triple tree"
    "2001 Apollo blue 1800 GW"
    "1997 CR500R"
    "1995 CR500R"
    "1994 CR250R"
    "1991 GSXR 1100 with inverted front forks"
    "1986 GSXR 1100"
    "1984 honda 1000 interceptor"
    "1983 honda 750 interceptor"
    "1979 Kaw 650 SR"
    "1977 Kaw 650 custom"
    "1975 yamaha DT 250"
    "1971 yamaha 60cc mini endero"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy with my HJC Symax III. Sure, it is not a Shoei, but it a LOT less expensive.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...-Helmet-Review

Post Thanks / Like

My Lazer Monaco should arrive early next week, and I will report on my findings as soon as I can get a couple of good rides in.

I have been in the market for a Modular for over a year, and being a IT research geek, I was happy to spend hours reading the reviews on all the forums and sites including webbikeworld.com

The Shoei Neotec's fit was excellent on my XL head, but the more I walked around the store wearing the helmet, the more concerned about the weight.

The Shark Evoline 2 did not fit my head at all, but the Evoline 3 does, and seemed nice, but heavy. The local Police use them and after talking to some of the members I was turned off of the sharks with several reports of having to "punch" the chin bar to get it to properly close.

The Schuberth C3 was nice and light, but the chin bar was very close to my chin, and I do not have large chin.

The Schuberth C3 Pro, seemed to have everything I wanted. So it became a decision between the C3 Pro and the Carbon Monaco.

I emailed Revzilla, who sell both, and to whom I ordered my ICON Varent from. I talked to one of their staff who has experience with wearing both, including the new DOT version of the Monaco.

For the GW, or any well protected bike, the selling point of the C3 Pro very quite ride is minimized. His recommendation, based on my riding style and being on a wing was the Carbon Monaco, so I ordered one.

For a rider who spends more time on a bike with little or no wind protection, the C3 Pro remains a solid choice.

The Lazer Carbon Monaco I ordered is the DOT version, so it is a little different then the European version most of the reviews have been written about.

In the reviews, the only problem I found was with rain getting into the top vent.
    That would very big problem for me, riding in a Rain Forest in very cool temperatures. The newer versions have rain stoppers which, I am told, completely solve this problem.

However, and the end of the day, I believe fit and comfort are the most important features of an otherwise very safe and well built helmet.

Your head either fits a helmet or not. The Shark Evoline 2 was way too round for my head and within seconds it had to come off.

For the long trips, I found for me, weight becomes a factor. Hence the Lazer Carbon Monaco.

I spent many years riding a HD with a Black Chrome Bell Simpson half helmet. And I loved it. Light, with outstanding ventilation. I also had a excellent Shoei FF, that I rarely used, but it is now too old (+15yrs) to be considered safe.

When I got my first GW last year, I was heading towards a Shoei FF again, but tried on and loved the ICON Variant and the Rubatone Black with a Gold Shield just looks too cool.

So cool in fact, my 25 year old son had to get an Etched Variant with a dark Shield. I was impressed with the up and down visibility of the Variant, as few FF helmets allowed me to seen the GW GPS without having to lower my head. When my son tried on my Variant he discovered he could clearly see all the instruments on his KLR so he ordered his own.

The only problem I ever had with the variant is picking up fog when riding in warm and humid rain, as pin lock visor is not possible on the 3D faceshield. At the end of a 12 hour day on the road, I can also find the helmet a little heavy.

My desire for a modular came from always needing remove my ICON to talk to my son or my wife, ticket agents, Customs agents and other bikers. Our Sena SMH10s fix the problem with talking with my wife and son when we are all riding together.

I have not been able to try on a Lazer Monaco Carbon, so this order is a bit of a leap of faith. I will be installing my SMH10 on the helmet as well. And I am interested in seeing how much I like the Lumino faceshield as usually ride with my visor fully open and Maui Jim's for sun protection.

BTW my son has already told me he is walking off with my Varient the next time he is in town. I love you with all my heart son, but I expect my Varient will remain with dad for some time to come!

As for the Monaco, I will lock it to my bike when my son is in town. And I chain my GW to my Truck, pull the ECU out of the truck, just to be safe!!

Rick
    Last edited by raconnol; 03-10-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    2010 GL1800ADA (CDN eh!)
    DS 1126
    95 FLSTC Sold to a nice family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raconnol View Post
    My Lazer Monaco should arrive early next week, and I will report on my findings as soon as I can get a couple of good rides in.
    Outstanding. I'll be looking forward to your review!

The Schuberth C3 was nice and light, but the chin bar was very close to my chin, and I do not have large chin
    I'm interested to hear about this on the Monaco as well, I like having comms installed in my helmet and curently have the mic coiled up and installed inside the chin bar on my Nolan N103 as the chin bar was too close for a boom mic with me. If I can avoid deep surgery on the helmet for a comm install I'd rather take that route.

The newer versions have rain stoppers which, I am told, completely solve this problem.
    Another feature I'm interested in. Do the rain stoppers really work and do they need to be removed after the rain to let air flow again through the top vents or can they be left installed and the rider still get airflow.

I too didn't fit into the sharkevoline 2 and from reviews I've seen the Monaco has a comparable shape to teh Nolan N103 that I am currently using and like the shap of a lot.

Also, could you tell us how you like the fogging without the pinlock installed? I've heard its good but any feedback/review your willing to give would be much appreciated.
    Learn to ride the bike, so the bike doesn't ride you when and if you ever need to use it to its full potential. Learning doesn't end when the MSF ridercoach hands you the BRC completion card.

Post Thanks / Like

I just changed over to the Nolan 104 this winter with edsets. Best helmet I have ever owned. Extra large visor, more face room than most other helmets.

BTW, if you haven't seen this already, you may want to take a peek: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm
    2010 Yellow GL1800
    Jacksonville, AR

Post Thanks / Like

Default neotech

I tried all the helmets available locally and found the Neotech fit the best, like a glove in fact. The local bike shop even priced matched to a mainland bike store which was about only $50 more than I could get it from the States. Bonus! Edsets speakers will fit without having to carve up your new lid. Have not set it up for the GW or ridden it so far but I think with the cacoon affect of the GW it will be great. Have only ridden the VFR with it so far and love it. BIG improvement over my old HJC which is noisy and I couldn't get the speakers placed in best sounding spot with out major surgery.
    03 ABS Black Wing
    05 ST1300 Red (sadly sold)
    99 VFR Yellow (new toy)

Knowledge talks, wisdom listens

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

When I started riding again 2 1/2 years ago after a long absence I knew basically nothing about helmets and other equipment so went out to New Enough/Motorcycle Gear which is close and tried on what they recommended. I didn't know any better so bought an HJC Symax. It was okay. It was a decent helmet for the price but fit was only adequate. It was noisy, heavy, and leaked. Helmet speakers didn't fit inside properly without alteration of the pads. Worst of all I soon discovered trying to remove the inner pads to install speakers cracked the cheap styrofoam. I understand later versions are better.

I was fortunate that a member here posted this helpful link: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm I recommend everyone considering a new helmet use this article as their starting point. If a helmet doesn't fit the buyer's head shape it is worthless even if it cost $1000 and is considered the best helmet ever made.

The webbikeworld article allowed me to narrow my search to a helmet that fits my narrow oval skull. I bought an ARAI Profile which is an excellent helmet. I like it and wore it for awhile but I really wanted a modular for the convenience.

Last summer I returned to New Enough and tried on a SHOEI Neotec. The Neotec is now my helmet of choice. For my head shape I don't think there is anything better.

Post Thanks / Like

My new Nolan N43E is a great helemt and fit me very well. Nolan helmets are designed for round heads and will not be comfortable for those with oval shaped heads.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally found one that fit me without putting pressure on my fore head and that is the Scorpion EVO 900 it so far has been my best helmet in the past 46 years of using different ones.
    Florida Prowler #82

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread, thanks everyone! My two favorite helmets are the Shoei Shorty and the Shoei open face, both 4+ years old so I have been looking for the last year. I have been able to try on different manufacturers helmets and the only one that works for me is the Shoei, my noggin is large (2x) oval. When Wing Ding was in DM I tried everything on but never did pull the trigger but I'm getting closer with the newest Shoei Neotec.

The only thing holding me back is that I wear glasses and it seems like I "overheat" unless I'm moving. I also understand that when it's 90 outside that everyone "overheats". I ride solo so ear speakers are on non issue for me. Still not sure which way to go.
    Jon

[

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a huge selection of helmets ( stores ) up here to try on so when I travel, I make a point of finding stores to try on new helmets.

I own a Multitec and was in the market for a new helmet this past winter. I tried on the Nolan, the Shuberth, the HJC Symax III and the Neotec............the Neotec just fit my noggin better than the other three. I wanted to buy the HJC Hi_viz ( my wife has one, nice helmet) but it doesn't fit right..........then I opted for the C3.......doesn't fit right....etc etc.........settled on the Shoei.

I buy them off the inter-web but I won't buy a helmet without trying them on first.
    2009 "Columbia Blue Metallic"
    Full Monty Traxxion
    ------------------------------------
    2011 Suzuki 1250FA "Black"
    Stock
    -----------------------------------
    Certified MSF rider coach
    -----------------------------------

Science flies you to the moon........Religion flies you into buildings.

Post Thanks / Like

The Shark Evoline 2 did not fit my head at all, but the Evoline 3 does, and seemed nice, but heavy. The local Police use them and after talking to some of the members I was turned off of the sharks with several reports of having to "punch" the chin bar to get it to properly close.
    Rick
    I have to do that for my Gen I Shark, my wife doesn't have to do it for her Gen 2. I have a Gen 3 on order and hope it fits my "oval" American head better, but a hammer to the forehead foam of my Gen1 solved the hot spot problem for me. I don't mind the "punch" to close the chin bar on the Gen 1 though, just part of having this versatile helmet that does everything I want. I was a bit put off though by how quick the seal went bad around the visor. Think they also got that solved on the Gen 2 and3 (hope, hope!).
    Don
    Illinois
    2010 ABS GoldWing
    1986 Yamaha Venture Royale

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Roberts View Post
    I ride solo so ear speakers are on non issue for me..
    Are you saying you don't use a headset at all? I would think most people that ride solo still listen to music or want to hear GPS prompts so they are still running some sort of headset.

I sometimes turn it all off and just ride for a while listening to the engine but I think I'd get bored (and maybe a bit scared) if I did a long ride with nothing to listen to but my thoughts.

It's definitely simpler your way....
    ----------------
    2013 GL1800 ABS
    2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track)
    2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
    2012 Niner Air 9
    2013 Specialized Roubaix
    "Street or Dirt, Motor or Pedal, riding 2 wheels is fun"

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got the N90 Nolan. It killed my head over the eyebrows, till I modified the hard styrafoam (sp). It's fine now, but still hurts the side of my head where my glasses ear pieces sit.
    If I had to do again I would try the Shoei, all my other helmets have been Shoei and all were comfortable.

2010 GL1800 ABS/Nav/XM
    Sunny SN 3830 195 55 16 (24666)
    Falken ZIEXZE-912 #1 (25k)

Falken ZIEXZE-912 #2 (5k & counting)
    Darkside # 1068

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume most of you know it is possible to buy different sized inner cushion pads for the crown or sides for the better quality helmets. With thicker or thinner pads it is easy to adjust the size of a new helmet that is a little too loose or tight. I know that ARAI and SHOEI offer different pads. I used different sized inner pads to make both helmets fit me "just right."

Post Thanks / Like

I got a Nolan 104 and like it a lot. But like others have said you need to try it on first.
    2012 BLACK
    NC700X
    DARKSIDER 89
    B/S 709 F & Michelin alpin pa3 R

Post Thanks / Like

I love Shoei helmets. My Scorpion EXO-900 convertable/modular helmet is okay, but the Shoei's fit my head better. I don't know anything about the other helmet you are considering.
    Live, love, laugh,
    CruiseControl

Relax and keep one eye on your future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by USNRider View Post
    Outstanding. I'll be looking forward to your review!

I'm interested to hear about this on the Monaco as well, I like having comms installed in my helmet and curently have the mic coiled up and installed inside the chin bar on my Nolan N103 as the chin bar was too close for a boom mic with me. If I can avoid deep surgery on the helmet for a comm install I'd rather take that route.

Another feature I'm interested in. Do the rain stoppers really work and do they need to be removed after the rain to let air flow again through the top vents or can they be left installed and the rider still get airflow.

I too didn't fit into the sharkevoline 2 and from reviews I've seen the Monaco has a comparable shape to teh Nolan N103 that I am currently using and like the shap of a lot.

Also, could you tell us how you like the fogging without the pinlock installed? I've heard its good but any feedback/review your willing to give would be much appreciated.
    Check out the start of my reviews at of the Lazer Carbon Monaco here:
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342955
    2010 GL1800ADA (CDN eh!)
    DS 1126
    95 FLSTC Sold to a nice family.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.