3 year old "new" rear tire
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 year old "new" rear tire

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 year old "new" rear tire

I got a set of bridgestones from DLP this week. The rear tire manufacture date is 0209. I called DLP and they stated I could return it, but they can not guarantee tire manufacture dates.

What would you do?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ruppjar View Post
    I got a set of bridgestones from DLP this week. The rear tire manufacture date is 0209. I called DLP and they stated I could return it, but they can not guarantee tire manufacture dates.

What would you do?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Run it. It will not be a problem.
    Current Inventory:
    '06 VTX1300C - '08 FLSTF
    '10 GL1800 - '12 FJR1300
    '13 FLHR - '14 FXDB
    '14 Kawasaki Versys

Post Thanks / Like

Run it you think you'll replace it in the next year or two. Tires age out after 6 years, I've been after my son to replace his but he says it still has tread and he only rode 500 miles last year so why spend the money? Kids...
    2010 Pearl Yellow level 3

Post Thanks / Like

Default tire date

Most guys will run a tire if it is under 5 yrs old. Mine never last more than about 6 months, so they don't get much older. The only dry rot around here is ME!
    01 1800 / Yellow ( fastest color ) safety chrome
    Dunlop 3000GS 195x55x16 RF 32lb, Kuhmo RF 195/55/16 2nd bmt, Perelli RF 195/55/16,Michelin Alpine RF, centramatics

DS # 510

Does this tire make my butt look fat?
    May You always put your kickstand down as many times as you put it up!

Most of my life, I drank beer, rode bikes, and chased women..........the rest of it I wasted! ! !

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am told that as long as it has been stored inside and not in the sunlight it will be fine. I have a brand new 09 rear wheel with the original Dunlop that was never even on the road yet since it was trailered to the trike shop new, as a spare. It is in my basement in a black plastic bag on a shelf waiting to get wore out.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How much do you ride? If you ride a lot then mount it and wear it out. Probably not going to make any difference. IMHO
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you posted that question because I just received my set from DLP and the rear tire also has a build date of 02/09 while the front has a build date of 01/11. Guess I will go ahead and mount the rear since I generally replace my tires every year anyway. Not because they are worn out but I generally take one long trip during the year and I like to start with new tires and not have to worry about replacing a worn out tire during the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

What would you do?
    Jim
    I have to think about this. No wonder the tires are so cheap. I was getting ready to order a set on sale from DLP and will have to decide if I want a two year old tire. I am sure they are safe to ride. Tires last me 10 months. Can anyone confirm if the tires have really changed ?

Thanks,

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Racer57 View Post
    I have bought hard compound tires for racing that when I used my Durometer on them would show 35-40. After letting them sit for a year or more, they would get up to 45-50 which is what I needed for special conditions. Tires are the softess when new. They get harder/drier with age. No longer than the tires last me on my GW, I have strongly considered buying the oldest set I could find, but haven't taken the time to do it.
    Harder means slicker too. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that a harder tire is going to have less traction. My question is why are they selling tires that old?????

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If it was stored per mil-spec (standing vertical) I would run it. If it has been stacked horizontal with other tires on top of it...I would return it. Three years is a long time. Since you don't know how HDL stores these...you could a) ask or b) return it.

I would return it....but that is just me.
    Bill
    kg5ie
    Harley Davidson FLSTC

Post Thanks / Like

"Just in time for spring, here is what I think is the best price any where for a Set of Brigestone Tires. All are brand new stock and ready to ship. Bridgestone tire set for the GL1800. A front G709 130/70R18 and a rear G704 180/60R16.

Special 269.84 FREE SHIPPING."

The above is taken directly from Dan's description of the product. I find this very disappointing and HDL's "stock" has just taken a nose dive in my opinion. To me, brand new stock means very recent production, not some special purchase of old wharehouse stock that can at best be honestly stated as NOS. I was gonna order a couple of sets, but I gotta reconsider now. Very disappointed.

prs
    Last edited by Pigeon Roost; 03-17-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: can not type woth beans
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Racer57 View Post
    The next time I run a MotoGP race with my GW, I'll try to remember that.
    Traction works both ways, taking off & stopping. One you usually have total control over and the other one, maybe not.

Post Thanks / Like

What would you do?

Thanks,
    Jim
    i would send them back.{I called DLP and they stated I could return it, but they can not guarantee tire manufacture dates.}
    you only have 2 tires not four. Dunlap said that they will warranty for 6 yrs to give u a idea on time to use. still if you did not get a super discount 33% or better send them back but looks like u can run them if you put 15k on your bike in 2-3yrs

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not hesitate to put them on my bike and wear them out.

Pete
    Pete

2010 Pearl Glacier White Goldwing, 2009 KLR, 1980 Shovel

I used to care, now I take a pill for that!

Post Thanks / Like

WORST COULD HAPPEN IS IT COMES APART - IF ME I WOULD RUN IT IF THATS WHAT TIRE YOU RUN THEY MITE ORDER TIRES WHAT COMES OUT OF MANUFACTURERS IS WHAT THEY GET NEW TO THEM NEW TO YOU

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevin from ny View Post
    Anyone know if the bridgestone tires wingstuff sells are new or have they been laying around a couple years also.
    i would ask them for the DOT build date on the tire as follows
    DOT 3609
    means 36 week
    of 2009 year

dunlap said they keep tires for 3 years and warranty for 6yrs
    hope that helps you decide
    tony

Post Thanks / Like

None of these suppliers (DLP, Wingstuff etc) have piles of tires sitting around for years, they are getting them in from the manufacturers to run these promotions etc, the manufacturer is sending them out as good to use, they may be a few years old and being sold cheap as they are aging them out.

They will of been stored as per the manufacturers specifications

You have to do what you think is right for you contact the maker and ask them when they released that batch and if they are good
    Pete

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Roost View Post
    "Just in time for spring, here is what I think is the best price any where for a Set of Brigestone Tires. All are brand new stock and ready to ship. Bridgestone tire set for the GL1800. A front G709 130/70R18 and a rear G704 180/60R16.

Special 269.84 FREE SHIPPING."

The above is taken directly from Dan's description of the product. I find this very disappointing and HDL's "stcok" has just taken a nose dive in my opinion. To me, brand new stock means very recent priduction, not some special purchase of old wharehouse stock that can at best be honestly stated as NOS. I was gonna order a couple of sets, but I gotta reconsider now. Very disappointed.

prs

"

I know that the bridgestones that I had ordered from DLP in Feb and recieved 3 weeks ago had the date code of 2011, Both Front AND Back tires were 2011, I forget which month but I know that they were 2011. They are probably running out of the new stock and going to what they have on the shelf. I got absolute great service and will not hesitate to order from DLP again. As far as the age of the tire. If it is not older then 5 years and dry rotted, I would run it. I only plan on tires lasting me 1 season anyways. Just my own opinion on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Mount it, get on the bike and ride like the wind! No problems with a tire with that date stamp!
    Mayor Hal
    Michelin Alpin Primacy PA3 ZP 195-55-16

Darksider#933 80,000 (s)miles & counting!
    08 GL1800 Pearl White
    12 GL1800 Pearl White
    Prowler #23

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Run your new tires and enjoy.

I bought a DLP G709 at the sale. The date code is 3811.
    2008 Yamaha WR250R
    2006 Honda Goldwing
    2007 Yamaha FZ1
    1991 Yamaha TW200
    1972 Honda CB350
    DS #1202

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have ordered 7 sets and the oldest one I received is is a 2010 I guess they are maybe getting low as the closer to riding season the more they will sell,The price sells them!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4008

I purchased a set just last week. Went out to look and my G704 and the build date was 4008. That tire is already four years old and I bought it to put on to put on next year as I just put a fresh pair on.

I can't help but feel a little deceived.

Dan
    2007 dark blue Navi
    Traxxion "Mega Monty"
    IBA #54656

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The Dunlops I have purchased from DLP have been fresh.

I would prefer new tires with recent mold dates like most others but I wouldn't worry about a 2009 date on a tire that had been stored in a warehouse. It is sunlight and UV rays that cause the most harm with older tires not warehouse storage wrapped in plastic.

I bought my "2010" Goldwing last January (2011). The actual build date was 3/09! The original tires were probably molded in summer or fall of 2008! I never gave it a thought. Soon as I got the Goldwing I started out wearing those tires out as quickly as I could. They are gone and forgotten.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there may be a problem here

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Post Thanks / Like

Laen, your comments are well respected on this board. What is your postition regarding the problem?

Mine is that its OK to sell NEW OLD STOCK (NOS) if it is divulged, up front, that the products are NOS. Like so many above, I agree that the product is gonna be OK to use so long as one uses it up within a couple of years. It would have been or would be a better business decision to let the cosumer know that she/he is getting this great deal because the product is a bit stale. For me, and some others here, Bridgestones are popular because they typically offer excellent grip and handling at a relatively lower price here in the States. So we order this deal and are provided with harder tires that don't quite have the bite we have come to appreciate.

I just checked the DOT code on the B'stones I purchased from DLP last year and mounted late last summer. They were less than a year old when I purchased them and less than two years old now that they are about ready to replace. I am not a "tire guy" and maybe I am being unrealistic; perhaps a real tire guy like BullDog could give us the straight and narrow on the subject.

prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Roost View Post
    Laen, your comments are well respected on this board. What is your postition regarding the problem?

Mine is that its OK to sell NEW OLD STOCK (NOS) if it is divulged, up front, that the products are NOS. Like so many above, I agree that the product is gonna be OK to use so long as one uses it up within a couple of years. It would have been or would be a better business decision to let the cosumer know that she/he is getting this great deal because the product is a bit stale.

prs
    If I had had known my G704 was manufactured in 2008 I would not have ordered them. I would have rather paid regular price and gotten a 2011 build date like the pair I ordered over the winter that are on my bike now. Their add should have stated that they were OLD STOCK then let the customer decide.

My opinion only,
    Dan
    2007 dark blue Navi
    Traxxion "Mega Monty"
    IBA #54656

Post Thanks / Like

I just checked mine that arrived this week: front-mfr year 10 rear-mfr year 09

I would like to give DLP the benefit of the doubt on this, but if somebody that knows a whole lot of real tire information would like to chime in, feel free.

Wouldn't you think...that as the sponsor of this board DLP would have investigated to safety factor of selling these tires? I would hope to get 3 years of good use out of these tires anyway before changing them out. I'm not a real high milage a year rider (I have this job thing), but regardless of the milage I would probably buy new tires after 3 years just to be on the safe side regardless of these tires mfr date.

So...........is the real problem here the actual safety of the tire or the non-disclosure of mfr date?

Rubber industry gurus, the floor is yours. TIRE issue or not?
    2002 Roadstar-sold
    2003 FZ1-sold
    2004 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS-sold
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS-current
    2007 Goldwing ABS-current

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedro66 View Post
    None of these suppliers (DLP, Wingstuff etc) have piles of tires sitting around for years, they are getting them in from the manufacturers to run these promotions etc, the manufacturer is sending them out as good to use, they may be a few years old and being sold cheap as they are aging them out.

They will of been stored as per the manufacturers specifications

You have to do what you think is right for you contact the maker and ask them when they released that batch and if they are good
    WRONG.....DLP or Wingstuff etc don't buy tires from the manufacturer. They buy them from Parts Unlimited or Tucker/Rocky, which ever "distributor" they can get the best price from. DLP is being deceptive by selling 3 year old tires and not disclosing that fact at the time of sale. No one has any way of knowing where or how the tires were stored. Check your shipping label, where did the tire ship from. I don't know for sure, but by the shipping times some forum members have quoted, I have suspected that DLP has T/R drop ship a lot of tires

Post Thanks / Like

If you can't pay cash, you can't afford it.

The one that dies with the most toys, WINS !!

Only in the US does one political party reward you for working hard and the other rewards you for hardly working.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Do you really believe that if you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Not a problem

It ALL depends on storage. I keep my spares under black plastic, vertically stored on a wooden base: and have run them "new" when they are 8-9 years old. My current spares are 5-7 years old, and I'll be running out of them this year for the first time in 4 years. (I buy a LOT of tires at once, for the deals) I have to replace my rear 1.5 times per year minimum, and my footpegs every two years (wear them down to nubs), so you might say I'm a hard 1800 rider. To those who think differently: your perogative.

I can tell you that a good tire, properly stored, lasts a whole lot longer that they 'commonly' say. Be aware, and ask how they have been stored.

If you think the tires are old, or can verify by the DOT stamp that they are older than 3-4 years: If they show NO cracks and NO checks, and feel reasonably 'normal' in terms of their SURFACE hardness (a little hard is to be expected): wear them into a warmed and paved parking lot, doing increasingly hard left hand circles (START EASY ON BOTH SIDES OR YOU WILL BE DRIFTING damned FAST), then increasingly hard right hard circles: both sides for 5 minutes per side (that gets the original preservative off of them), then check them again. If no problems, run them 20 miles, and recheck for cracks between the treads, and ANY indication of side-wall checking. If properly stored, you won't see a problem.

I had the same Perelli Phantom rear tire on my old 650 XS1 for 18 years, and it was, in terms of the side-walls and the treads (outside the obvious wear) it was just fine. It was as bald as a banana when I replaced it. >>> The bike was always stored OUT of the sun.<<<

The flip side is that I have seen tires that are from/lived in desert country, two years old, that I would not ride on: weathered and UV'd to death, lots of tread left.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.