Best suspension upgrades for the dollar
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best suspension upgrades for the dollar

Post Thanks / Like

Question Best suspension upgrades for the dollar

I have a 2001 1800 and would like to upgrade the suspension without spending several hundred $ what would be my best options
    Thanks in advance, any suggestions will be appreciated

Al

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

New front springs (I prefer Traxxion...$125 plus installation but you can find cheaper like Progressive) and disable your anti-dive valve. If you want to improve the rear, a new shock and spring will run
    around $600 plus installation.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sdcatman View Post
    I have a 2001 1800 and would like to upgrade the suspension without spending several hundred $ what would be my best options Thanks in advance, any suggestions will be appreciate Al
    That most likely won't happen. But then, not sure of what your idea of an improvement would be
    The absolute least expenditure would be to place a post in the wanted forum asking for the parts removed from a new or very low mileage bike that someone had to have "improved" by opting for Traxxion or similar rebuild.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ddking View Post
    New front springs (I prefer Traxxion...$125 plus installation but you can find cheaper like Progressive) and disable your anti-dive valve. If you want to improve the rear, a new shock and spring will run
    around $600 plus installation.

Dan is definately correct. However if you wan't to go really cheap you can get a significant benefit from just installing heavier straight wound Front and Rear springs. Haven't checked the prices of these parts recently but probably around $350 total and you'll get a substantial portion of the benefits of the much costlier full monty. The most serious flaw in the stock 1800 is WAY TOO SOFT SPRINGS and WAY TOO MUCH SAG - generally in the 50% plus range rather than the desired 30%. Thus you 10wallow and either bottom or hit the anti bottoming bumber on any significant bump.

The REALLY cheap but still highly beneficial set up is make sure your rear adjuster is full of oil and run it at 25 plus add the Traxxion front springs.
    Sam Jones - Frederick Maryland

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.