Difference between cruise control and a throttle lock on a 1800
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difference between cruise control and a throttle lock on a 1800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Difference between cruise control and a throttle lock on a 1800

On another thread someone was discussing a throttle lock and when someone ask why do you need one when a 1800 has cruise he got blasted and told not to hijack the thread.....

Ok not PC but I live under a mushroom in the dark and get fed chit so I want to know what is the difference between a TL and CC?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Throttle lock is manual and holds throttle position only. Speed will increase or decrease based on load. If your go up a hill speed will decrease and vice versa going down hill. True electronic cruise control will adjust to the load in order to maintain the speed that was set.

Post Thanks / Like

The very limited use for a throttle lock on an 1800 would be were you are going slower and/or in a lower gear than the CC will engage. Most of the time if you are in a situation that the CC will not function you really shouldn't be using it OR a throttle lock anyway. Might be usefull in a parade or slow freeway condition.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a throttle lock on my wing and I use it for situations where in need my right hand only for a moment and using the cruse will take longer. It is a good thing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

There are many reasons why I use my Vista Cruise, and why others feel the need for one. My stock cruise has no lag at all (I adjusted it), and I still use my Vista Cruise more when not on the freeway for long stretches.

My hand cramps up. Flipping a thump is faster than setting the OEM cruise.
    A bike without a CB is behind me, and I want to point at something on the road. (I hate using my foot)
    I want to point at something to a likewise rider. (cute butt bending over in a cage-Who wouldn't want a peek at that???)
    I feel like resting my hand on my lap for a brief time if traffic in clogged up on a back road for a minute or two?.
    I need to scratch an itch and can only get at it with my right hand.
    OEM cruise doesn't set at low speeds.

These are some of the things I like about it. It's way faster to flip my thump than it is to use the OEM cruise. (I don't believe in leaving the cruise button in all the time).

We all have different wants and needs and a throttle lock is just another one of those things that some find a use for,and some don't.

Post Thanks / Like

More importantly ... cruise control will instantly dis-engage when you hit the clutch or brakes ... a throttle lock will not ...
    Tom Batt ... the "FROGG TOGGS GUY"

Post Thanks / Like

Back when I had my 85 Aspencade I never used the throttle lock. It didn't
    make sense due to the reasons posted above (doesn't hold speed and will not
    auto-release).
    2008 GL1800
    Titanium Nav.

Darksider #201
    Mitchelin Alpin PA3 195/55/16

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Rocky on this.

I use my Vista Cruise throttle lock more than my cruise control for the same purposes that Rocky listed above. The Vista Cruise is just a convenience device.

I don't use the Vista Cruise to hold speed over long distances, that's what I use my bike's cruise control for.

No worries about disengaging a Vista Cruise either. When the tension is correctly adusted with the provided key, the throttle can be easily rotated to the off position even with the Vista Cruise ON. They are designed that way for safety. Plus I can manually disengage it with my thumb in a nanosecond at the exact same time I'm braking with both brakes. Not a problem.

I wouldn't be without mine. Very handy device.

Last edited by WingMan71; 03-30-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Bob
    2006 Arctic White GL1800
    1987 Black/Grey GL1200 Aspencade
    1981 Blue/Blue CB650 Custom (Sold)
    U.S. Navy SWO (1967-1976)

Post Thanks / Like

Since my camera is set up for a right handed user, I use mine all the time to snap photos. Especially handy for action shots and don't have the time for the cruise to set in.

Quick shots like this are easier:

Or last second thought of taking a shot like this:

03 GL1800 Red
    Keeper of the DSI numbers
    http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

FAQ (work in progress)

Post Thanks / Like

My muscles don't work right all the time, and I need all the help I can get.
    • I have the factory cruise control and leave it engaged so I can use it whenever I want.
    • I also have a Cramp Buster "cruise assist" so I don't have to grip as hard.
    • I will be getting a throttle lock and for all the reasons mentioned above plus a few more.

I'll do whatever I need to do to be able to keep riding.
    Live, love, laugh,
    CruiseControl

Relax and keep one eye on your future.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one on my Concours, works great for those times you just want to take your hand off the bars for a minute. It will hold speed if your on a flat road. All you have to do to release it is roll the throttle back or disengage it manually. It will not keep the throttle on if you want it off, it doesn't hold that tight. Best $20.00 I spent.
    DSCN0581

If you are born once you wil die twice.
    If you are born twice you will die once
    RETIRED AND LOVING IT !!

Seasoned Member Canyon Dancer in Colorado's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What model

What model Vista Cruise throttle lock do you use on the 1800? I have always had one on every bike I've had until the 1800 and couldn't find one that fit it correctly.

If you have the model number of the lock, I'd sure appreciate your sharing it with me.

It is a very convenient device especially at slow speed for all the purposes listed by others above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    There are many reasons why I use my Vista Cruise, and why others feel the need for one. My stock cruise has no lag at all (I adjusted it), and I still use my Vista Cruise more when not on the freeway for long stretches.

My hand cramps up. Flipping a thump is faster than setting the OEM cruise.
    A bike without a CB is behind me, and I want to point at something on the road. (I hate using my foot)
    I want to point at something to a likewise rider. (cute butt bending over in a cage-Who wouldn't want a peek at that???)
    I feel like resting my hand on my lap for a brief time if traffic in clogged up on a back road for a minute or two?.
    I need to scratch an itch and can only get at it with my right hand.
    OEM cruise doesn't set at low speeds.

These are some of the things I like about it. It's way faster to flip my thump than it is to use the OEM cruise. (I don't believe in leaving the cruise button in all the time).

We all have different wants and needs and a throttle lock is just another one of those things that some find a use for,and some don't.

OK, now I get it. That would come in very handy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Dancer in Colorado View Post
    What model Vista Cruise throttle lock do you use on the 1800? I have always had one on every bike I've had until the 1800 and couldn't find one that fit it correctly.

If you have the model number of the lock, I'd sure appreciate your sharing it with me.

It is a very convenient device especially at slow speed for all the purposes listed by others above.

Read my post (#4) in this thread with pictures of my mod's to make it fit and where I got it for a 1800. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...-throttle-lock

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes but.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Read my post (#4) in this thread with pictures of my mod's to make it fit and where I got it for a 1800. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...-throttle-lock
    Yes, I read that but they make a 1" handlebar diameter and a smaller one (I think it is 7/8") so I am wondering which one fits the 1800 bar. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cgent View Post
    More importantly ... cruise control will instantly dis-engage when you hit the clutch or brakes ... a throttle lock will not ...
    the Brakeaway brand throttle lock will disengage when you hit the front brakes but it won't fit a Goldwing. I had one on my VTX 1300.
    PGR RC#1146 IBA#55800
    2010 Level 3 BT-45/Yoko Avid Envigor ZPS
    GL1800Rider's HelpContact List <<Clickhere
    Disclaimer:
    The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. This poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Dancer in Colorado View Post
    Yes, I read that but they make a 1" handlebar diameter and a smaller one (I think it is 7/8") so I am wondering which one fits the 1800 bar. Thanks in advance.

The same one (Part # 168 ) fits both the 1500 & 1800 7/8 bars. That is what's on my 1800 now. I took off my 1500 before I sold it. http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/mo...L1500/168.html
    Last edited by Rocky; 03-31-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Rocky

Thanks for the info Rocky, at a cost of $24.00, don't want to get the wrong one......7/8" gives me the info I need. Even tho I haven't had one on the 1800 since I bought it back in 2001, I still inadvertantly try to flip it on because my thumb "remembers it" on the 1980 1100 that I had and used all the time. It will be good to get it installed on the 1800. Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got Vista Cruise installed

Just finished installing the Vista Cruise throttle lock on the Dancer! I had to do some grinding on the tab that fits into the nipple under the handle bar cluster but being careful and fitting it a number of times has turned out perfect. Also had to grind the rivet head down so that the device would fit between the grip and the cluster. It is great to have it available to use at low speed when the cruise doesn't operate.

Thanks Rocky for getting me started on this! Looks like original equipment too!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.