EZ tag on a wing
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EZ tag on a wing

Post Thanks / Like

Default EZ tag on a wing

Looking for some advise on where to fit an EZ tag on a wing and some options on how. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Preddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a hard case one in Houston that fits and works from either front pocket
    or you can get the sticker type they use on the cars that has a micro chip in it

Get the first option
    Last edited by laen; 04-02-2012 at 06:04 PM.

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my hard-case style EZ Tag stuck to the underside of the lid of the right fairing pocket. (I actually had to use some industrial strength double stick tape because the sticky on the built in tape wouldn't hold it.) Works great, is locked up safe secure and dry, and doesn't take up any room.

BTW, they told me that you couldn't use the sticker type tag on a motorcycle.

Contributing Member Bacon_grease's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    Looking for some advise on where to fit an EZ tag on a wing and some options on how. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Preddy
    I have a TX-TAG hardcase that I have velcroed to the inside trunklid. It's worked well enough so far.
    1981 GL1100 Interstate
    280K and counting

2008 GL1800 Navi
    Trying desperately to live up to the 81's reputation (10% of the way there)

Darksider 872

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_grease View Post
    I have a TX-TAG hardcase that I have velcroed to the inside trunklid. It's worked well enough so far.
    Same thing I did with my NJ EZ-Pass. Works great!

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe they still offer the thicker box style in Houston. Placing under the trunk lid should work just fine.
    I moved to Dallas and am having a hard time with a good placement as they no longer offer the thicker style with a stronger signal reach. I have to rely on the paper thing with the chip.

Good luck!

AJ

Regards,
    Preddy

Post Thanks / Like

ditto...
    Jeff

2008 Black G'Wing
    2002 HD FLSTCI
    IBA #42075
    *SS1000*
    *BB1500*

The Four Boxes of Liberty - Soap-> Ballot-> Jury-> Ammo...use in that order

Political Correctness: A doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end...

Post Thanks / Like

I threw mine in the trunk and it works great.
    Kurt
    Darksider # 1136

Post Thanks / Like

I threw mine in the trunk and it works great.
    Kurt
    Darksider # 1136

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the velcro like thingies to afix it to the underside of the vent just like on the windshield of the car. Secure so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Velcroed to the left pocket lid. WOrks great
    2009 Silver GL1800 Full Race Tech Suspension, All-Balls Bearings, Luggage Rack, Heated Grips, Full Chrome, Chrome wheels, Morimoto Bixeon Projector Headlights, LED Halos, Full DDM Tuning HID on all 6 lights, V-Stream, Shawn Cook-Custom Saddle, Zumo 665, Pac-it-Rak

2007 Cannondale Prophet
    Previous Rides:
    2007 Victory Kingpin Tour,
    Mustang, Stebel, Stage 1, HID, LEDs, Stebel Air Horn, full Arlen Ness Chrome.
    2002 Triumph Thunderbird
    1977 Yamaha XS 750 Special
    1972 Kawasaki 350 Triple H2 H1

Post Thanks / Like

put mine in the truck lid organizer and forget about it, works just fine

2008 nav/confort. centramatics, Peg Saver Pucks, Double Darksiders, number 1143 Yokohoma avid Envigor, Rocky Tree, Progressive mono tubes, all balls steering head bearing
    tell me again why I need a heated seat and grips in Houston?

ATGATT = all the guns, all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Regards,
    Preddy
    Like laen said. I have the one in the hard case and keep it in the front pocket. Wouldn't want the sticker one. JMHO.
    Steelman
    Kumho 195/55/16 TPMS
    06 GL 1800 Wing Darkside #806
    02 VTX 1800 RS
    HFFH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajpum65 View Post
    I believe they still offer the thicker box style in Houston. Placing under the trunk lid should work just fine.
    I moved to Dallas and am having a hard time with a good placement as they no longer offer the thicker style with a stronger signal reach. I have to rely on the paper thing with the chip.

Good luck!

AJ
    AJ,

Get a TX Tag. It covers all the toll roads in TX (and some other places) and they still have the plastic cases.
    1981 GL1100 Interstate
    280K and counting

2008 GL1800 Navi

Darksider 872

Post Thanks / Like

AJ,

Get a TX Tag. It covers all the toll roads in TX (and some other places) and they still have the plastic cases.

LOL bacon_grease ? really? LOL
    how did you come up with that name?

2008 nav/confort. centramatics, Peg Saver Pucks, Double Darksiders, number 1143 Yokohoma avid Envigor, Rocky Tree, Progressive mono tubes, all balls steering head bearing

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone!!

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tag

I put mine in side saddlebag velcro to top. Dont really matter where you put it because if run it they run your plate and will show up as you owning a tag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pepsX View Post
    LOL bacon_grease ? really? LOL
    how did you come up with that name?
    It's a nickname I picked up at Texas AMC by the Sea and the origins are not fit for public discussion on a family board. *grin*

You're in Mo City? I'll be back on shore and looking to do some riding. Interested in a lunch ride?
    1981 GL1100 Interstate
    280K and counting

2008 GL1800 Navi

Darksider 872

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted a similar question a month ago before signing up for a PA Turnpike EZ Pass transponder to use on an upcoming trip through all the northeastern and New England states.

Several have suggested simply tossing the transponder in the trunk or velcroing it to the underside of the trunk lid.

For those of you using one of the above solutions do you have a metal trunk rack mounted on the trunk lid and, if so, do you carry a large luggage bag stuffed with clothing on the rack and still get results from the transponder in the trunk?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HBarlow View Post
    For those of you using one of the above solutions do you have a metal trunk rack mounted on the trunk lid and, if so, do you carry a large luggage bag stuffed with clothing on the rack and still get results from the transponder in the trunk?
    Excellent question.

Let me preface my answer by stating that it's nearly impossible for me to tell whether it was the TX Tag or the license plate was read - unless I am going through a gated booth. In a gated booth, no matter where the tag is located it reads about three quarters of the time. Over the years, I learned to simply run into the bar (a cloth covered pool noodle over a piece of 1" PVC pipe) and it'll read my plate.

Regardless of the presence of a transponder on the bike, the system is very adept at reading plates and billing you.

Luggage rack - Yes I have one. I have not noticed any change in the reading of the tag since installing the rack. However, the rack does affect my GPS reception so it is logical to assume it does have some effect on the toll transponder.

Luggage rack with a loaded bag on top - I don't carry items on the luggage rack frequently so I don't have any meaningful experience with this. Perhaps someone else can chime in.
    1981 GL1100 Interstate
    280K and counting

2008 GL1800 Navi

Darksider 872

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HBarlow View Post
    I posted a similar question a month ago before signing up for a PA Turnpike EZ Pass transponder to use on an upcoming trip through all the northeastern and New England states.

Several have suggested simply tossing the transponder in the trunk or velcroing it to the underside of the trunk lid.

Harvey,
    I have my NJ EZ-Pass mounted to the underside of my trunk lid with heavy duty Velcro and it works very well even with the trunk rack I have. So far I have used it in NJ, PA, OH, IN, IL and MD without any problems. I haven't tried it yet with a trunk bag on top of the rack so can't say anything about that part.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ez tag

Lay it in the right front locking pocket. Works fine in there. I do have the old style they issue for motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a nickname I picked up at Texas AMC by the Sea and the origins are not fit for public discussion on a family board. *grin*

You're in Mo City? I'll be back on shore and looking to do some riding. Interested in a lunch ride?

sure, PM me when you get back.
    I also ride with Kmassey on the board a couple of weekends a month. he's ok for a short bus rider, but he does know where all the DQ's are

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.