How long will it take
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long will it take

Post Thanks / Like

Default How long will it take

How long will it take to ride from Durango to Montrose, leisurely? Also from Montrose to either Canon city or Pikes Peak?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

oh about that long maybe just a little longer

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how many stops you make along the way. Silverton is a great stop, so is Oray, plus a couple abandoned mines. If it were me going from D-M, I'd plan the day. Its' one of my favorite roads to ride. Just my opinion.

Right Here, Right Now, Inside your mind! All the way from the Mt Evans Wilderness @ 9,000 ft asl.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RJF View Post
    If it were me going from D-M, I'd plan the day. Its' one of my favorite roads to ride. Just my opinion.

I couldn't agree more!

If you're taking 550 there is so much to see and do that you would be remiss in riding right by.

But that's o.k. too as some folks just like to ride.

I'm more of a "plant your boots in the dirt" kind of guy and like to soak up the local scene as much as I can.

Here's a couple of stops you should make along the way if time allows..

Box Canyon Falls in Ouray (You Ray) is a nice stop to see an incredible water fall inside a cleft in the rock. Costs a couple of dollars to get in but worth it.

If you are over on 145, the San Juan Skyway, be sure to stop at Mountain Village instead of going into Telluride. From Mtn Village you can jump onto the free Gondola and ride it down into town. It's free parking and the gondola ride into Telluride from the Village is something you'll remember for awhile!

Just a peek at what it looks like coming out of the top of the mountain and down into Telluride.

Of course if you are in Montrose you really shouldn't miss highway 92 up to Crawford (home of Joe Cocker) and back. It's the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and a road that should not be missed.

From Montrose to Canyon City you should allow 4-5 hours drive time but be prepard to stop and smell the roses along the way.

Have a great time here and be safe.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.