windshield question
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: windshield question

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default windshield question

I am new wing rider, actually first bike with a windshield and have some questions. First I should say I am try to ride in any condition I can. Firs t I ha fogging up problems and have some decent stuff now for that. However recently rode in some rain and another problem arose, I just could,y see. So here is my question, what is the proper height to have windshield for ones height? SOme rides have told me you must see over the top at normal riding position and some say that defeats the purpose of having it. I do see at various retailers that there are many height choices. Please help me with this, I do not have that good sight anyway and are very particular of the devices I have to see through. After two not so good experiences already I am very concerned.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to see over the top of the windshield.

.. only by about an inch or two... but that is enough.
    If you do it like that, the air flow will hit the WINDshield and rise up over your eyes and head..
    .. too low and you get blasted in the face
    .. too high and you're looking through it.
    ... about an inch or two is just right.

I cut my first one down about 1.5 inches.. pretty good.
    I cut down my second one about about 2.5 inches.. better.

... works for me.. I'm not tall.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by jcardea View Post
    I am new wing rider, actually first bike with a windshield and have some questions. First I should say I am try to ride in any condition I can. Firs t I ha fogging up problems and have some decent stuff now for that. However recently rode in some rain and another problem arose, I just could,y see. So here is my question, what is the proper height to have windshield for ones height? SOme rides have told me you must see over the top at normal riding position and some say that defeats the purpose of having it. I do see at various retailers that there are many height choices. Please help me with this, I do not have that good sight anyway and are very particular of the devices I have to see through. After two not so good experiences already I am very concerned.
    Life..what a ride. DS #99. Prowler #0.
    ​"In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
    The needs of the many outweigh the fears of the few.
    All truth is at first ridiculed, then opposed, and finally self-evident.

Can you hear me now?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good question. I was contemplating getting the F4 +4 for my Alaska trip, however, it does make sense that when I get into the rain IF i;m looking through the windshield I'll be looking through an obscured view. Guess I'll stick with the stock for now.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

During normal weather and regular riding, I look thru the windshield. When it is raining I sit a little straighter and peek over the top of the windshield. Rain will still get on my face shield but if I turn my head to the side the wind will usually blow the water off the shield.
    Bob

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Winshield

I think its about preferance. That said I agree with the 2 inch position mentioned above. I am 6 ft 1 and run my stock windshield in the full up position. On my last wing I had the tall model from honda installed which is two inches higher than stock so I run it not full up but achieved about an inch or so above my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep mine where I can just see over the top during normal riding, never a problem with wind, I do wear a helmet and no problems. If it rains you need to see over it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to look just over the top, but be able to duck down behind the shield for more wind protection if I need it. The V-Stream SE is perfect for me at 6' 2"/34 inseam with it set to its highest position.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well a sincere thank you to all, I obviously know what I must do. I have to be able to see over the top. Unfortunately I am barely 5'8" so at least two inches probably have to go. Now should I cut or buy? Mr. Cruiseman I am going to look at the V-Stream for one 2 inches shorter
    Again thanks to all

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.