Brake lights don't work
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brake lights don't work

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brake lights don't work

I took my bike (an '04) and participated in a bike safety class (which involved a lot of idling). About 3/4 of the way through my brake lights stopped working with either hand or foot brake. I checked the fuse and it looked okay, but I thought I'd stop on the way home and buy some new fuses just to be sure. I replaced all fuses (except for the two big ones at the bottom). Still no brake lights. Any suggestions? Where might the relay switches be located? Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Tom
    Double Darksider #1129
    Front: Bridgestone BT45 130/70/18
    Rear: Michelin Primacy 195/55/16
    St. Charles, MO

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The relay is under the seat, with a cover on all 3 banks of them. 2 screws hold the cover down and then the relay racks pop out by squeezing in on the tabs at the sides of the cover. Swap the brakelight relay with another one with the same legs and see if they work. If not, you need to check your turn signals to see if they work.
    Last edited by techdude2000; 04-07-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    GO UK Wildcats, C.A.T.S. Cats! Cats! Cats!
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the part of the schematic that might help. I find it unlikely but very possible that both switches are bad. One could have went bad before today and you didn't notice until the other crapped out. You can short the wires together of either switch to eliminate them from the problem.

Last edited by techdude2000; 04-07-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Post Thanks / Like

Default Relay good, turn signals work

Quote Originally Posted by techdude2000 View Post
    The relay is under the seat, with a cover on all 3 banks of them. 2 screws hold the cover down and then the relay racks pop out by squeezing in on the tabs at the sides of the cover. Swap the brakelight relay with another one with the same legs and see if they work. If not, you need to check your turn signals to see if they work.
    Thanks for the reply. I swapped it with the horn relay. Horn worked, but no brake lights, so the relay is good. The turn signals work okay. Could it be a switch at the hand or foot which is taking the whole thing out? Tried to jump the wire at the front between the green & yellow and white/green with no luck.
    Last edited by tcdell; 04-07-2012 at 09:07 PM.
    Tom
    Double Darksider #1129
    St. Charles, MO

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, just saw where you jumpered the switch at the lever. When you pull the lever can you hear or feel the brakelight relay click?
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Post Thanks / Like

OK, just saw where you jumpered the switch at the lever. When you pull the lever can you hear or feel the brakelight relay click?
    Yes, I can hear the relay clicking when I pull the level and when I step on the foot pedal.
    Tom
    Double Darksider #1129
    St. Charles, MO

Post Thanks / Like

Have you verified that all the brake lights are good? Long shot that all the brake lights are burned out, but it can happen...

Double check the large connector under you seat that connects all rear lighting to the bike. It is underbuilt by Honda, usual damage is the ground wire connection fries itself inside the connecter.
    2005 GL1800A Bright Blue Metallic
    GWBBA #58
    Darkside #527
    195/55R-16 Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP RunFlat
    A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be...
    -Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcdell View Post
    Yes, I can hear the relay clicking when I pull the level and when I step on the foot pedal.
    I had the same problem with mine. Check to see if your rear brake pedal needs adjusting. I bought a new relay and then found out it was just an adjustment
    DARKSIDER #1112
    And have the patch to prove it!

195/55/16

http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

Charter Member of the "I Hate Snow Club"
    Maker of DS paraphernalia

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got home from church, you probably have a bad connection in the C15 connector under the seat to the rear of the relay banks. Here's a picture of it, check the solid Green wire that grounds all of the rear lights as well as the Green/Red wire that carries the power to all the rear brakelights.

Rob's Candy Red '04

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
    Have you verified that all the brake lights are good? Long shot that all the brake lights are burned out, but it can happen...

Double check the large connector under you seat that connects all rear lighting to the bike. It is underbuilt by Honda, usual damage is the ground wire connection fries itself inside the connecter.
    Just got home from church, you probably have a bad connection in the C15 connector under the seat to the rear of the relay banks. Here's a picture of it, check the solid Green wire that grounds all of the rear lights as well as the Green/Red wire that carries the power to all the rear brakelights.

I wish I had thought of that..... But then you did provide a pretty picture...

2005 GL1800A Bright Blue Metallic
    GWBBA #58
    Darkside #527
    195/55R-16 Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP RunFlat
    A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be...
    -Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I didn't read the posts after his last one, but I did have a pretty picture of it.
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so I checked the C15 connector and couldn't see anything visibly wrong. I put a digital multimeter on the green/red wire and the solid green on the side closest to the relays, with power on I pushed the brake pedal and the meter showed 12 volts (okay 11.59). So, from that I can deduct that the pedal adjustment is not the problem, nor the switch at the front brake or the rear brake, right? I also pulled one of the bulbs and it wasn't blown. I doubted that all four brake light bulbs would blow simultaneously but at this point there is no harm in checking because something weird happened. I checked the wiring coming out of the C15 and followed it up to the top of the back of the seat where it disappears and couldn't see anything obvious with it.
    Tom
    Double Darksider #1129
    St. Charles, MO

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, when you measured this voltage at the connector, did you try it on the opposite side of the connector? Do your tail lights and turn signals in the rear work? Did you check the bulb socket for brakelight power when you hit the pedal? It's probably not going to be there. This means you may have a junction connection that has come loose or melted enough to disconnect the feed wire in it. It is represented by this set of "DOTS" that connect all these Green/Red wires together. I haven't dug into it, but I believe it is under the trunk.

Last edited by techdude2000; 04-08-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid I have exceeded my abilities. I didn't check on the "opposite side." I'm not sure what you mean here. I only checked the green/red to green. I'm not sure how to check the "bulb socket" for brake power. I blew a fuse while trying to do that and lost my tail lights. Yes, the tail lights and turn signals all work normally (after I replaced the burned fuse).

I pulled the inside of the trunk lid and found the junction box up there. I pulled out the socket and didn't see anything looking melted or anything. I tried to check continuity of wires from that junction to the one that plugs in at the C15 junction, and got a ring on the green/red wire, but then there were a bunch of goofy colors that didn't match the schematic shown below connected by the "dots," so I got confused and friend wife suggested this may be a job for the shop and I think she might be right.
    Tom
    Double Darksider #1129
    St. Charles, MO

Post Thanks / Like

By the "other side" techdude means did you check the voltage on the wires headed to the trunk, not the wires on the "bike" side of the connector.

Shown here caused me all sorts of headaches and it might be your problem. One more question. Do you have a trailer harness?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bypass.jpg 
Views:	926 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	56151

If you tested where I show a wire that it partly pulled out, the test is null and void because you can have voltage and ground on the "bike" side of the plug and still have nothing on the "far" side toward the trunk as happened to me.
    KD8OVH
    '06 GL1800 Black Stealth F-117
    Progressive monotubes & Traxxion tree
    Vietnam Vet - Infantry Recon 69'-71'
    Daughter serves as LoadMaster CJ Elvis USAFr

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't talking about the underside of the lid, but the underside of the trunk itself. The bottom comes off where the handles are to release the latches for the saddlebags and trunk. When I asked about the voltage on the opposite side of the connector, I meant measuring the voltage using the green wire for ground and checking the green/red wire on the side of the connector where the wires are leaving it and going toward the light socket in the rear. Your Green ground wire is good or your tail lights and turn signals back there would be acting weird or not working at all. The Green/Red wire is still suspect going thru the "DOTS" junction. Did you unplug the C15 connector and check the pins for corrosion or any sign of melting the connector?
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Post Thanks / Like

As shown. Use the ground wires to each separate harness, don't use the frame or only one green wire.

KD8OVH
    '06 GL1800 Black Stealth F-117
    Progressive monotubes & Traxxion tree
    Vietnam Vet - Infantry Recon 69'-71'
    Daughter serves as LoadMaster CJ Elvis USAFr

Post Thanks / Like

some time the wire that runs beside the trunk hings get under the hing and gets cut or just breaks from bending back and forth. Just a thought.
    cash talks b.s. walks
    Prowler # 39 D
    Double Darkside # 900
    Bridgstone battlax bt 45
    Michelin Alpin Primacy pa3 zp 195-55-16 RF

Post Thanks / Like

Default I caved and put in shop

Well, thank you all for your help. I caved and took it to the shop because I couldn't figure out how to get inside the bottom of the trunk. It cost me $155 to find out that one of the brake wires in the bottom of the trunk (as shown in the pic above from Waldo) had gotten burnt and repair it. They also found that a mouse had chewed on some of the boot material. I wonder if the little bugger had chewed the brake wire too causing it to short and burn.
    Tom
    Double Darksider #1129
    St. Charles, MO

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it fixed, sorry it costs $155. Those little destructive critters can be a pain.
    Rob's Candy Red '04

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.