Reverse not engaging correctly
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reverse not engaging correctly

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reverse not engaging correctly

The last two times I have returned home from a ride on my 04 1800, reverse has not engaged correctly. The R lights OK, however it feels as though the gear does not engage and there is a ratcheting sound when pressing the stater/reverse button to go back.. The bike jerks a little bit & does not move. I disengage reverse, re-engage and it reverses OK. Any thought as to what the problem may be?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

do you have the emergency brake on?

ok, i know, that was bad of me, but....I am who i am
    hope you find the answer, cuz i dont have it.

2008 nav/confort. centramatics, Peg Saver Pucks, Double Darksiders, number 1143 Yokohoma avid Envigor, Rocky Tree, Progressive mono tubes, all balls steering head bearing
    tell me again why I need a heated seat and grips in Houston?

ATGATT = all the guns, all the time.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a shop manual you may see the levers that actuate the reverse and there is a adjustment you can make. or take it to yer dealer they will fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine has also just started doing this exact thing. I do have a manual so I will look and attempt the adjustment over the weekend. Stay tuned...
    You may not think that I am worth dying for, but Jesus did.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markj View Post
    If you have a shop manual you may see the levers that actuate the reverse and there is a adjustment you can make. or take it to yer dealer they will fix it.
    markj - thanks for the info, I don't have a shop manual so I'll stop by my dealer soon.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Take off side cover and watch the reverse work.Spray small amount o fseafoam oil on moving parts.this was in previous threads.This has worked for years for me. 02 with 107,000 miles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Army Vet View Post
    The last two times I have returned home from a ride on my 04 1800, reverse has not engaged correctly. The R lights OK, however it feels as though the gear does not engage and there is a ratcheting sound when pressing the stater/reverse button to go back.. The bike jerks a little bit & does not move. I disengage reverse, re-engage and it reverses OK. Any thought as to what the problem may be?

Thanks
    Mine does the same thing, it is caused by: lack of lube
    Low battery
    Out of adjustment
    It went away at my 32k checkup, so maybe dealer lubed it, I also bought a new battery.
    If your going to do stupid things, then you gotta be tough.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Take off side cover and watch the reverse work.Spray small amount o fseafoam oil on moving parts.this was in previous threads.This has worked for years for me. 02 with 107,000 miles
    Yup lube the reverse mechanism, it's behind the right side chrome engine cover, You can actually watch the mechanism work when you put it in or out of reverse, i used to have the same problem, I spray it with triflow lube at every oil change and haven't had a problem since
    Last edited by cycledude; 04-15-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

Post Thanks / Like

I lubed mine, but it didn't make any difference. 37,000 miles on bike. I guess I'll have to get out the manual and try to adjust it. Any tips?

If you got to ride, ride in style.

2008 Thoroughbred Stallion
    Candy Apple Red
    1992 White/Orange Pearl Bushtec Turbo

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the info on lubing the reverse mechanism. I'll keep that in mind.

I visited my dealer, of course they couldn't get it to duplicate the problem. They have seen this issue. They adjusted the cable and said let them know if that doesn't do it. I was surprised as there was no charge, they did it under my Honda warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

over the weekend on the way home from rogers , pulling my trailer, I had mine do this for the first time also . thanks for the info , I'll try lubing it .
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed"
    --Thomas Jefferson

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had found that my reverse cables had vibrated the jam nut loose and let the long adjusting nut move the cable out of adjustment. You will need the manual to show you how the arms should be in line with a notch for nuatral. If it's not right, it will not go all the way into rev. I found this to be my problem. It also had my rev. light blinking a lot. Adjusting the cables, fixed everything.
    Alan Moore 2006 Dark Red GL1800
    Darksider #18 RIKEN 205/55X16 @34 lbs.
    Guyton, GA.
    Changed over to;
    Dunlop Sport 5000, 195/60X16 @35 lbs.
    Michelin - Pilot Activ Rear Tire - 130/70X18 @ 38 lbs.
    Dunlop Sport Signature 205/60X16 @ 38 lbs.

Change back to
    Dunlop Sport 5000, 195/60X16
    Much better Tire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket1lf View Post
    ....I guess I'll have to get out the manual and try to adjust it. Any tips?

Old thread, I know, but, if anyone finds this thread during a search, here is a writeup that will help you adjust the reverse actuation cables:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...ble-Adjustment

IHTH someone!
    Enjoying the ride,
    Digger

AMA Charter Life Member #109
    '05; Non-ABS; Pearl Yellow; 71,xxx Miles
    I don't own a cage.

http://www.astronautbiker.com

Post Thanks / Like

That can happen every once in a while if you are on a grade. The next time engage the reverse button but before you hit the starter button make the bike roll forward and back and I'll bet it will work ok. Connect a Battery Tender and wait until a full charge and then check it. You might also have the battery load tested.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
    Yup lube the reverse mechanism, it's behind the right side chrome engine cover, You can actually watch the mechanism work when you put it in or out of reverse, i used to have the same problem, I spray it with triflow lube at every oil change and haven't had a problem since

Where does one find Triflow Lube?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.