How to: Install Electrical Connection LED Cowl Lights
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to: Install Electrical Connection LED Cowl Lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to: Install Electrical Connection LED Cowl Lights

This install was done by Rainman April 12th, 2012 on a 2007 GL1800 ABS (non airbag)

All rights reserved. All Cows Eat Grass. Any reproduction or distribution of this article without the express permission of Major League Baseball is expressly encouraged.

This install is probably easier than what you’re thinking. When I first saw it the install instructions and realized I had to burn holes in my cowl….I was like “oh boy”. However, the hole burning part is probably the easiest part of this thing and was no big deal at all. I mean no disrespect to whoever wrote the instructions at EC, but they really could be a bit better. They’re not fluid and sometimes not entirely clear on what they mean sometimes. With that in mind, I’m going to attempt to simplify it a bit here and make it just a tad easier on the next guy.

Step 1. Get everything out of the box and examine it. Set aside the switch and the screw pack for now. Take note of the two, 4 legged brackets. Notice that all 4 legs are not the same. Two have screw holes and two do not. This is how the lights get secured to the brackets (by using the included spacers)

Step 2. Remove the cowl off the Goldwing. There are 3 bolts on each side and two of the little push pins that Honda is so fond of. Notice that the very top bolts are different than the other two on each side. Remember that or write it down.

Step 2 - TOTALLY OPTIONAL – but you may want to take this opportunity to go clean up the cowl. Mine was pretty filthy after 5 years on the road, so I took it upstairs and cleaned it pretty well with a magic eraser before I took it down to the workbench to get started. I find it’s easier to work on clean parts rather than parts caked up with years of grime.

Step 3. Cut out the blanks that block the openings to the holes for the lights. I tried a couple of different ways…the first just being a good set of sidecut pliers. This worked, but left some ragged, jagged bits of plastic sticking up. I then went and got my dremmel tool out since I wanted to clean up those ragged edges and decided it would cut through them just as well which it did. If you don’t have a dremmel, then just use whatever you like to cut through the plastic tabs and then use a file to clean up the remaining edges. It’s not terribly important to get these 100% perfect, but if you’re like me, you’re not going to want to leave jagged tab edges showing either.

Click for larger image
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blanks Removed.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	56424

Step 4. Ok..now that you have the blanks cut out, take a look at the gussets that help support the fog light hole openings. On each side, there will be three large gussets and one small one surrounding each hole. Get something to use as a straight edge and guesstimate a center line and then use a small marker to draw a vertical line from the bottom to the top. It doesn’t have to be exact. Just somewhere close to the centerline will work nicely. Now – estimate 3/16 of an inch down from the edge and make a cross mark. EC tells you 3/16 of an inch and that’s a perfectly good measurement but don’t worry about making sure it’s exact. All you’re doing here is making a mark to push a soldering iron through. I thought maybe more dead center would be better given that leaving more “meat” in the gusset would be desirable, but all that did was make it hard to hook the springs into. I also found that unless you’re equipped (unlike most of us) with about 6 hands, trying to measure in that small space AND mark a cross mark was just about impossible. Like I said…all you’re doing here is creating a hole to hook springs into, so don’t get carried away and waste your time trying to be exact.

Name:	Holes Marked.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	56425

Step 5. Now that you’ve got your marks where you want to push your holes for the springs through, plug in the iron and give it about 3 or 4 minutes. Then, just carefully push the iron into those marks and melt yourself a nice little hole through each gusset. Be careful not to get carried away and melt a hole clear through to the front of the cowl. Apparently that’s been done before. The small gusset is the trickiest as there’s really not a lot of it to begin with so just aim for the middle and start small to make sure you don’t burn through the top edge of the plastic. You can always go back and make it a little bigger if you need to, but you can never go smaller. I found that it helps to have a file on hand to knock away the melted plastic “slag” for lack of a better term. Do all 8 gussets and then try very hard to NOT burn yourself or the house down with that smoldering iron. Take the springs and slip one into each hole you just made and set the cowl aside.

Step 6. That wasn’t so bad now was it? Ok..now look at those brackets again and note where the legs do a 90 degree turn into the big circle in the middle. That’s where you insert one of the 8 cotter pins and then bend the tabs out to keep it in there. Don’t get too carried away here either with the measurements. I think the EC instructions said inch which is good, but it’s not going to matter a whole heck of a lot so don’t kill yourself trying to get it exactly right. Let’s say…halfway up the cotter pin is what you want to leave on either side. If you’ve got eyeballs – use ‘em and just approximate halfway. Why would a blind guy care about fog lights anyway? I think what happened was that EC gets perfectionists asking that question all the time so they put measurements in the directions just to satisfy those folks. Here again…all you’re doing is hooking a spring into the cotter pin so exact measurement don’t help you here. Also – you may find it easier (I did) to grab the hoop end of the cotter pin and hold it in place with a good pair of regular pliers and then bend the tabs on each end with needle nose. That or you might be able to put it in a vise to bend the taps (which I didn’t try).

Name:	Cotter Pin Install.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	56426

Step 7. You’ve got your cotter pins installed so now it’s time to attach the light to the bracket. There will be 4 nylon spacers, 4 screws and 8 washers in your kit. Take the screw and drop the lock washer on first and then one of the flat washers. Now put the nylon spacer in between the light and the bracket and push the screw through and secure it loosely to the light. *** There may be some residual metal left over in the hole from the tapping of the threads in the light. No biggie…just work the screw in and out a few times and it’ll be fine *** Remember – the lock washer goes on the outside and then flat washer on the inside next to the bracket hole. This slightly larger flat washer will keep the lock washer from going through the hole. Now here is where I differ from the “official instructions”. The official instructions say to leave the light loose and tighten it later. Except – when it’s mounted into the cowl, it’s almost impossible to get a screwdriver in there and completely impossible when it’s on the bike. My advice? Use those eyeballs we talked about earlier and square the light up in the bracket so it’s not pointing in any direction other than straight on and snug those screws down - EVENLY ON EACH SIDE. That will give you the best chance of not having to adjust these things later on.

Step 8. Ignore the part in the official directions that says there is a “TOP” somewhere on the lens. I looked for it for 15 mins and finally called EC who told me that isn’t there anymore and to ignore that part. If yours says “TOP” on it…well…don’t be an idiot and put it on the bottom. If it’s not there…then ignore that part. Take your assembled lights and brackets and fit them down onto the gussets so that the notches in the legs rest squarely on the edge of each guesset. Now grab a good pair of needle nose pliers and pull the springs up and hook them onto the cotter pins. Easier said than done I know, but you’ll get there. I managed to loose grip on the springs about a dozen times so there was a bit of grumbling on my part while doing this.

Name:	Lights installed 1.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	56430

Name:	Lights Installed 2.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	56432

Step 9. Now take the assembly to the bike and plug in the connectors on the lights to the connectors on the bike. There’s one on each side and they may be taped up. Oh – and the bike connectors have plugs that you have to remove first. The trick to that is to press down on the thumb tab towards the back of the connector (on the exterior of the connector) and just pull out the plug and discard. If you’re pushing on anything with a screwdriver, you’re doing it wrong. Now just screw the cowl back on and you’re almost home.

Step 10. The last step is to remove the left side glove box by pushing in on the centers of those push pins we all know and love. Now remove the left side hazard light panel and the blank that is filling the hole for the OEM switch. Screw the switch in, fish around behind the lower cowl to find the aux lighting connector and pop out the plug. Plug in the switch. Now test to make sure the lights come on before you put it back together and if so you’re good to go. Button it back up and get someone to give you a pat on the back. Preferably not someone who doesn't like you like the cat.

My Thoughts: This is a pretty well made kit and though I initially cringed at BURNING HOLES into my OEM cowl…it really was a pretty good design. The burning holes part was probably the easiest thing of the whole install and once I thought it, it is a nice, simple way to install these lights. My hats off to Lewis and the folks at EC for figuring out what really is a good way to mount these things in there. The lights themselves are very well made and although the directions could really use some tweaking (what OEM directions couldn’t?), hopefully, this little writeup will make it a little easier for the next guy.

Now stop screwing around on the Internet and go log some miles on that awesome bike of yours!
    Last edited by GA_Rainman; 04-17-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Correct something I misspelled
    "Um..I'm a vwery good dwiver. Yeah. "
    Jeremy Whitehead
    Iron Butt Association # 49219

Traxxion Mega-Monty

The photo is of me standing in the radio operators compartment of a B17G bomber while in flight over Oshkosh, WI.
    The top hatch was stowed and that's my head sticking out through the top of the aircraft.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Great directions Rainman. This sure would have come in handy about a month ago when I installed my led lights. I had to do a little "trial & error" but got them in and didn't destroy my cowl.

I too love the lights. Brightest I've seen.

Dan
    2007 dark blue Navi
    Traxxion "Mega Monty"
    IBA #54656

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Great directions Rainman. This sure would have come in handy about a month ago when I installed my led lights. I had to do a little "trial & error" but got them in and didn't destroy my cowl.

Dan
    Thanks...I love them!

Where at in Central Indiana Dan? I'm originally from Fairmount
    Jeremy Whitehead

Traxxion Mega-Monty

The photo is of me standing in the radio operators compartment of a B17G bomber while in flight over Oshkosh, WI.
    The top hatch was stowed and that's my head sticking out through the top of the aircraft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Rainman View Post
    Thanks...I love them!

Where at in Central Indiana Dan? I'm originally from Fairmount

Shelbyville area which is about 25 miles SE of Indy.
    2007 dark blue Navi
    Traxxion "Mega Monty"
    IBA #54656

Post Thanks / Like

GA Rainman,

Thanks much for taking the time to document and photograph your experience with installing the EC LED lights and sharing with us. I would appreciate seeing a pic of the finished job from the front. Exactly which of the EC kits did you install? Did you order directly from EC?

Great work. It builds my confidence that I can tackle the job myself.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bob....yep...this one is certainly doable by just about anyone. No real special skills needed and just plan on taking your time and looking it over (know how it's supposed to go BEFORE you begin in other words) and you should have no problem. This one is fresh in my mind so if you need help, just hollar. These lights plug into your factory Honda wiring harness (the plugs are already there) so it's REALLY simple in terms of electrical. EC also provides an OEM style switch that mounts in your dash where the factory Honda switch goes. Really nicely done kit and worth what they're asking in my opinion. The light is very white and "crisp" so it kind of stands out.

To answer your questions - yes, I ordered directly from EC and got their LED high output cowl mounted kit. http://www.electricalconnection.com/...800-led-ho.htm

Here's a couple of photos. Please excuse the bugs, it's just back from a 300 mile ride earlier today and I haven't cleaned her up yet.

Name:	fog1.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	56582 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fog2.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	56583
    Jeremy Whitehead

Traxxion Mega-Monty

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why Lewis doesn't have the installation instructions online, but with yours, who needs his? You did an excellent job describing the installation, and I really appreciate it. I'm replacing my cowl, and moving the lights to the new one, so I needed only a portion of your instructions. Thanks for taking the time to help you fellow Goldwingers.
    Yellow '05 GL1800A "Full Monty"
    Black '12 BMW F800ST

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fog Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post

Dan
    Great Job on the directions I have one question? If you already have OEM lights will you have to go through all of these instructions or is it going to be more of a plug and play of a job?
    Built by tonystrike.com

Be proud to be AN

AMERICAN Vietnam War Vet 1969-74

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roky View Post
    Great Job on the directions I have one question? If you already have OEM lights will you have to go through all of these instructions or is it going to be more of a plug and play of a job?
    Hi Roky,

Well...I've never actually seen how the OEM's mount on there firsthand but I heard that they actually bolt to the engine heads and not the cowl. Maybe someone else could comment on that. If that's the case, then yes, it would be exactly as described here except I bet if you called EC and told them you already had the switch, they'd cut you a bit of a break as I think those switches aren't exactly cheap. (The switch would remain the same as this kit uses an OEM switch and the factory wiring harness)

Oh..and one other bit - MAKE SURE when you order the kit, you tell them if you have an Airbag or not. The switches are different.
    Jeremy Whitehead

Traxxion Mega-Monty

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks Rainman for your step by step instructions for the cowl lights. They helped me in my install. Now I have an email into EC regarding radio interference. Radio goes completely dead and the headsets are straight static. I'll wait for there answer
    09 Black Cherry with Nav
    09 Bushtec GL trailer
    09 Aspen Classic
    Double Dark Sider #1006
    Primacy Alpin PA3
    Battle axe on front

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job!

Post Thanks / Like

Great writeup...now if you could only buy them. They've been on backorder with EC and Wingstuff forever.

Canaman...please report back on the problem you're having with static.
    Last edited by Nine29; 06-11-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    My Honda history:

'70 Z50
    '75 CB400
    '75 CB750
    '98 VFR800
    '01 CBR929
    '02 VTX1800
    '07 VT750
    '10 GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

I wired up my own lights but did not like the them so I bought these from EC and thought the mounting was genius. These are wired independant of the rest of the bike. I love these! I now have about 25,000 miles on them and they still look great.

Rob

PROWLER #105

2008 Pearl White Navi GoldWing
    2008 Kawasaki Nomad- SOLD

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

With radio on I turned on the cowl lights and then the radio goes totally dead but the head sets are totally full of static.
    Check this out. Just went to the bike to verify and to double check how did I got the radio to go off etc. everything now works 100%, no static in headsets and the radio stays on. All I did was park the bike in garage last night after I found the issue. Now I went to verify the problem and all works. Go figure
    09 Black Cherry with Nav
    09 Bushtec GL trailer
    09 Aspen Classic
    Double Dark Sider #1006
    Primacy Alpin PA3
    Battle axe on front

Post Thanks / Like

The static I had with the High Output LEDs was in the CB not the AM/FM. The static was present only when the engine was running and the alternator on line. My problem was that the only way to defeat the static in the CB was to turn the squelch up to 18. Unfortunately, that limited the range that I could carry on a conversation. I sold them to another forum member and he had no problems. Possibly an issue with the airbag model only.
    Last edited by jhughes556; 06-12-2012 at 08:06 PM.

"First Run Flat Tires on a Two Wheeler"
    2012 GL 1800 ABS
    2008 GL 1800 Airbag
    2002 GL 1800 Level 1
    1978 GL 1000 "Outrageous"
    1973 CB 750 Gold
    Darksider #443

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhughes556 View Post
    The static I had with the High Output LEDs was in the CB not the AM/FM. The static was present only when the engine was running and the alternator on line. My problem was that the only way to defeat the static in the CB was to turn the squelch up to 18. Unfortunately, that limited the range that I could carry on a conversation. I sold them to another forum member and he had no problems. Possibly an issue with the airbag model only.
    Odd....it very well MIGHT be an Airbag issue. I had ZERO problems with them when I installed them on my 07. I just got off the phone with Phillip at EC who told me they're on backorder again while they try and sort out the technical issue with this very thing you're talking about so apparently some have it and some don't. I sent a note to Lewis that I'll be willing to use my bike as a testbed if he wants to play around with some solutions. I'd like to get another set for this '06 I've got now.
    Jeremy Whitehead

Traxxion Mega-Monty

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks GA_Rainman for the write-up and pictures. I installed the EC Xenon High Performance lights today using your instructions along with the printed instructions from EC. Instead of measuring the holes to burn in the gussets, I just "eye balled" them and burned away. Overall not difficult, just take your time.

The lights are very bright. Now, if I could get some descent weather to road test.

2 Winter mods completed today.

The fog lights

Name:	ec_xeon fog lights1.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	76290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ec_xeon fog lights2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	76291

Dual USB power port installed under left rear speaker housing. (Thanks to Pepsx)

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	76292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb port.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	76293
    KJ
    2013 F6B Deluxe
    2007 Level III
    ~ sold
    Darkside #1418 - Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP 195/55/16 RF

Post Thanks / Like

After waiting three months for them to arrive, FedEx delivered my Electrical Connection High Output LED Cowl Lights today!

There are a couple of differences that I wanted to mention.

First of all, the cotter pins and lights were already installed in the mounting brackets but you'll still need to burn the small holes to attach the springs.

Secondly, it now includes a Horn Warning Feature that is really fantastic! When you sound the horn, the lights will quickly strobe 4 times which just provides another way of being seen in traffic.

Finally, the lights appear to protrude farther through the cowling than the previous version did. I've tried to show this in the photos.

Name:	securedownload-1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	83579 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	83580

If a car turns in front of me with my HID low beams, modulating high beams and these cowl lights.... the driver will be purposely trying to hit me!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by mobywing; 05-11-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Southeast Michigan

2010 GL1800 Level 3
    2013 Hayabusa Limited Edition

IBA #124

Post Thanks / Like

Default A great thanks Rainman

I wasn't sure how smooth things were going to go but your instructions are spot on! EC & yourself deserve a round of applause for how perfect your instructions are coupled with their parts. I love the lights and thanks again for taking the time and effort of putting this together!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Heading out to the garage to complete this today. I was putting it off till I read this thread. Looking like a rainy day here, so a good time to do it!

Great write up!

Now if I can just find a thread on where to route the 12v Powerlet wires from the instrument panel, next to ignition, back to the battery.... I'm still searching for that one!

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up GA_Rainman,

I've had the EC LED light for 2 years now and they work great! The only problem I had was about 1 month after installing them one of the LEDs went out, but a call to EC took care of that issue.

One little thing I did during my installation, I was having problems with the springs falling out of the hole in the plastic while I was fiddling around getting everything lined up and hooking up the springs. So I put a dab of glue in the hole and put the spring in place. The glue holds the spring in place so they don't fall out anymore.
    Keep the Shiny Side Up!

John

'06 White CSC Trike

Places I've ridden.....

The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.