AM/FM Radio Boosters
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AM/FM Radio Boosters

Post Thanks / Like

Default AM/FM Radio Boosters

Has anyone ever used an AM/FM radio booster?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Just Curious....why? If you have poor reception check the antenna connection under the seat.

Mark
    Ride On!
    '08 Titanium Wing Comfort/Navi
    '07 Trekker DL185 Trailer
    AMA & NRA Member
    DSi # 563
    Hankook Ventus V4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dukeswing View Post
    Has anyone ever used an AM/FM radio booster?
    Quite a long time ago...in a different application.

The concept is to amplify the Radio Frequency (RF) signal from the antenna to the receiver to help it process signals better.

The issue on the Wing is that the antenna system itself seems to have the majority of the issue. There are others out there that can vouch that the radio itself isn't too bad.

Does that explain it?

● DS #512 ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Search Problems? Try this with Google: <search term> site:gl1800riders.com

Post Thanks / Like

Used to use one back in the 70's when traveling from Denver to Dallas quite a bit, and some cross-country runs. It's just a standard signal booster, boosts the weak signal --- and everything else. Was an auditory pain in the ear. It did help and work with getting a weak station out in the boonies. Around civilization it brought in a lot of cross-channel inteference that was painful to listen to.

Nowadays, really not much of an issue to needing one. More stations out there, I personally don't have a "favorite" station that I have to listen to the extra 50 - 100 miles worth, and have the mp3 player if I want to listen to some tunes.

End result - while you can still find them available, I don't think they're worth it.
    Double Darksider #847
    IBA #54767 BB1500+
    Patriot Guard
    "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
    President John F. Kennedy

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's hit or miss, usually miss. There are many things that cause poor reception, and an amp can't fix most of them. There are also some really junk RF amplifiers out there.

The antenna is not the problem. It's the radio. The tuner in our radio has very poor sensitivity. And even with a strong signal, separation is not very good.

If you want to give it a try, stick with a name brand amplifier, and accept right from the start that it could end up being wasted money.

The general rule of thumb is that for an RF amp to be successful in clearing up the reception, you have to start with a decent quality tuner. RF amps are designed to pull in far away stations, or stations that are low power, not to help compensate for a poor quality tuner. If you are having trouble picking up strong local stations, it probably won't work.
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We were just curious if anyone had tried an antenna booster. Our radio goes in and out of stereo mode which is very annoying and we were wondering if there was anything that can be done about it. We have been looking at the J&M New Digital Music Player/Changer with Bluetooth and would like to know if anyone has tried this system and is it worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We were just curious if anyone had tried an antenna booster. Our radio goes in and out of stereo mode which is very annoying and we were wondering if there was anything that can be done about it.
    Make sure that situation is only happening on a few stations - or, if you are "out in the boonies", you may need to get closer to a populated area & see if it's the same.

If your antenna is disconnected or damaged electrically, the same symptom could occur. Does it work at all on AM?

As Larry stated, the radio itself really isn't that great...but, it is what it is.

We have been looking at the J&M New Digital Music Player/Changer with Bluetooth and would like to know if anyone has tried this system and is it worth it.
    I have the one without BT, and it works well. There are plenty of other threads out there that discusses this device.

Luck to ya!

● DS #512 ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Search Problems? Try this with Google: <search term> site:gl1800riders.com

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I HAVE ONE WORKED WELL UNTIL HID LIGHTS HOW ABOUT 15 BUCKS SHIPPED . IT IS A GOOD UNIT REC AMENDED BUY A ELECTRONIC REPAIR GUY

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.