Another ignorant CT post in a motorcycle magazine - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another ignorant CT post in a motorcycle magazine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerrieric View Post
    As I asked the Darksiders before, can you get 1, that is one, industry respected mc professional to state that CT's are no issue on a Goldwing and do not pose a danger. Still waiting.....
    This argument has never held any water to me whatsoever. So what you are saying is, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that had I the available funds, and could bribe some "industry respected mc professional" to make the statement that "CT's are no issue on a Goldwing and do not pose a danger." that you would then mindlessly as you do now accept that ransomed endorsement and believe that CTs are now safe and an acceptable alternative to MTs?

Are you not mentally able to make an intelligent decision on your own? Any statement you want to hear can be bought and paid for with all the graft and selling out that goes on today. It all boils down to money. Follow the money. The motorcycle manufacturers are in bed with the tire guys to sell us all inferior product at inflated prices that are designed to wear out prematurely and provide us the lowest form of protection they think they can get away with.

So what if one of their tires blows out on you in the middle of a nasty turn and you go down and kill yourself and possibly others as well. They can afford a few lawsuits. Did you learn NOTHING from the Ford Pinto? When the accountants convinced Ford that the price of fixing the problem was higher than the potential lawsuits over the faulty design, so they did NOT fix it. Its all about the money.

The CT is a safer tire, period. The cost has nothing to do with why most (yes of course there are some that only seethe savings) of us run the CTs, especially those of us running the Run Flat designs.

Darkside Rider #1094
    Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195-55-16 32psi
    Front: Bridgestone G709 38psi

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmojo View Post
    Does anyone know of any other bikes where CT's are routinely being used?
    There's quite a number of Royal Star Venture riders running C/T's

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/fo...play.php?f=106
    "every time you bend your principles - whether because you don't want to worry about it, or because you're afraid to stand up for fear of what you might lose - you sell your soul to the devil"
    DS#1241
    Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    so, if I'm sitting on the fence trying to decide if a CT is right for me, I should look to a "respected industry professional"? Exactly WHO determines who is "respected"? No one I know would be willing to put their paycheck on the line or be willing to invite liability by saying so in a national publication. They are thinking of CYA, but really it's MY ass on the line here--not theirs--correct?

I can think for myself and weigh my options on my own. Any ramifications of my decision are mine to bear. I don't need you or anyone else thinking for me.

Ronski...you are on that fence a lot of us were on at one time. Then one day we just had to say what the hell and took the leap and really loved it. That is the great thing about this forum is all the riders and their experience with all sorts of tires. (MT and CT) I think a lot of us would say if they came out with a MT that was also a run flat there would be a lot of people buying them.

2008 GL1800 Back in BLACK!
    Pirelli Eufori 195/55 R16 RF (32 psi)
    Bridgestone G709 front (41 psi)
    Centramatic balancers
    Darkside rider #1036!
    Previous bikes: 2006 FJR1300, 2001 Yamaha FZ1, 2001 GSXR1000, 1999 Kawasaki Concours(first street bike), Yamaha 175MX dirt bike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rustydust View Post
    It was quite obvious that the responder (Harry Deitzler) knows nothing about what he is talking about and certainly had never ridden any kind of motorcycle let alone a GL1800 with a CT on it, but he has the audacity to condemn them.

If ignorance is bliss, this guy must be one happy dude
    That's the kind of person I call LOT-SOK Long On Theory - Short On Knowledge

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."
    Double Darksider #0005
    Photos of Alaska and other pretty places: http://alaskajack.smugmug.com/
    '03 GL1800 - Winter: FR: (Looking for a new one), RR: Michelin X-Ice 195/55-16 35 psi
    Summer: FR: ME880 130/70R-18 @ 44 psi, RR: Michelin Hydroedge 205/55-16 30 psi
    When my pegs are scratchin, I still got traction!
    '02 KLR650 7x Prudhoe Bay veteran (including BB1500)
    '94 Concours "Alcan Annie"

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

He has a point..He just does not know it because he is guessing...But little does he know that all C/T's are not created equal...Some are not worth a dam on a bike..But on the other hand there are some that do a very good job...Learned long ago the more one talks about being an expert the less they really know...Just ask anyone that writes for this magazine they are all experts...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm am definitely not a respected professional from the MC industry but, I did go down on the highway & totaled my bike with 7,400 miles after the rear MC tire blew out, and I had a sidewall blow out a 6" hole on a stock Bridgestone with 8,500 miles. You can argue safety all you want, as for me I will practice safety on my ROF CT!
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

-Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MR_WING View Post
    Ronski...you are on that fence a lot of us were on at one time. Then one day we just had to say what the hell and took the leap and really loved it. That is the great thing about this forum is all the riders and their experience with all sorts of tires. (MT and CT) I think a lot of us would say if they came out with a MT that was also a run flat there would be a lot of people buying them.
    Well said.
    Iron Butt # 25888

SS1000
    SS2000
    SS2000K
    SS5000

DS # 1178

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I fear the MC- and MC-tire industry will counter darksiding in the future by introducing odd rim diameters, like 16 inches. Effectively killing two birds with one stone.

When they started making run-flat tires, they also used odd rim sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wgreen12 View Post
    He has a point..He just does not know it because he is guessing...But little does he know that all C/T's are not created equal...Some are not worth a dam on a bike..But on the other hand there are some that do a very good job...Learned long ago the more one talks about being an expert the less they really know...Just ask anyone that writes for this magazine they are all experts...LOL
    A truer statement I have never seen. Just because a tire is the proper size does NOT make it an acceptable tire for motorcycle use.

Darkside Rider #1094
    Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195-55-16 32psi
    Front: Bridgestone G709 38psi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.