volume increase on it owns
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: volume increase on it owns

Post Thanks / Like

Default volume increase on it owns

I have a 01 and all of a sudden the volume increases on it own. I have to keep turning it down. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Turn off the AVC.

prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default increasing volume

Are you sure that the auto volume control is not set to maximum sensitivity?
    Does this happen when sitting still or when riding? If it happens sitting still it probably isn't the AVC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimeg View Post
    Are you sure that the auto volume control is not set to maximum sensitivity?
    Does this happen when sitting still or when riding? If it happens sitting still it probably isn't the AVC.
    It happens both driving and sitting

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Switch problem in the left pod or the audio unit itself. Maybe Larry M has seen this before.
    GO UK Wildcats, C.A.T.S. Cats! Cats! Cats!
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this on FM radio.......or on Aux............... I have to constantly adjust the volume on my digital music player because all the downloads are not recorded at the same level.

If anyone out there knows an easy way to "normalize" the volume level on my downloaded music, I'd sure like to know how.

Better yet...........Anyone have an SD Card full of late 50's-60's music for sale...........

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen it yet on the Wing radio, but I have seen volume control circuits lose their mind on many aftermarket car stereos and home receivers over the years.

I assume that the OP is able to detect a mismatch in volume levels between different songs.

There are two possible causes for this.

1. bad volume control.
    2. shorted audio processor

Since the handlebar control is just a toggle switch, it is unlikely for that to become shorted. But the volume control on the radio is what is called a rotary encoder. It is not just a simple potentiometer. When encoders get dirty. vibration can send incorrect signals to the processor, causing the volume to either go up or down. (for some reason, it usually goes up.)

With the ignition turned off, turn the volume control repeatedly for a couple of minutes to try and clean the contacts. Then test it. If it has no affect, the encoder could be bad, or the processor could be shorted. I can fix that problem for you. PM me.

There is one more possibility I just thought of. If you have handlebar risers, the cable from the switch pod could be pinched. (It happens a lot.) That could cause the volume to go up if the correct wires got shorted together. It would have to be one helluva coincidence for the exact wires to get shorted together however.
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

When it gets louder-does your display show increase in numbers or no? Just being knozzey.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smart people in this thread. Many good questions, that all need to be answered.

Turbine Surgeon. download a copy of mp3Gain from Source Forge. It's free, and it will only alter the music that you download onto the card. It won't adjust the gain of your library unless you want it to.

Note that some players do not respond to normalization. I don't know which ones do and don't.
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Larry.....................that might be my prayers answered............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine surgeon View Post
    Is this on FM radio.......or on Aux............... I have to constantly adjust the volume on my digital music player because all the downloads are not recorded at the same level.

If anyone out there knows an easy way to "normalize" the volume level on my downloaded music, I'd sure like to know how.

Better yet...........Anyone have an SD Card full of late 50's-60's music for sale...........

Google what you said. It works. Try it!

google: mp3 volume normalizer

Buncha free ones out there. If you have iTunes, turn on Sound Check on both your computer and your device. It helps, but not ideal. Besides, it does NOTHING for songs you have already imported, you have to re-import them all again. By default it is turned off. People at Apple are stupid. Yup, you heard me. The programmers there are from another planet that's not friendly with earth folk.
    KD8OVH
    '06 GL1800 Black Stealth F-117
    Progressive monotubes & Traxxion tree
    Vietnam Vet - Infantry Recon 69'-71'
    Daughter serves as LoadMaster CJ Elvis USAFr

Post Thanks / Like

I had the problem on my 2012. I discovered that I had mounted my cell phone too close to the volume control switch. I moved my phone to the right handlebar grip area and that solved the problem. A cell phone "pings" towers to let them know the phone is in the area. These ping signals can apparently be interpreted as volume up signals sent from the thumb switch on the bike.
    http://www.joejinky.com

Darkside Rider # 1238

Patron Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the GOA
    Proud Member of the 3%

Sandy Hook was STAGED. I will pay $25,000.00 to the first person who can PROVE otherwise.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.