Harbor Freight Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harbor Freight Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harbor Freight Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand

Has anyone tried the Harbor Freight Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand on a Goldwing? It says it is rating for 500 lbs. Is that enough for either the front or rear tire?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you could drive onto it with your front tire and then put it on the center stand. The front will spin while you clean it and the back will spin while in neutural. Let us know how it works, I might go by and get one myself. Beats trying to turn it by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

If I need to spin the front wheel for cleaning I just use a scissor jack under the engine case with the bike up on the center stand. This works with the bike on the table lift as well. Easy peasy....

Getting the wing off the center stand with that HF device is a struggle.... not so easy peasy....
    Larry Price
    Edgewood, WA

I run Hybrid Tires....
    Front: Bridgestone Exedra G709 130/70R-18
    Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R-16

Post Thanks / Like

I had one and took it back. Had issues when putting on centerstand where tire was not in all the way between the 2 rollers. It would sit on only one roller. I have carpet in garage not sure if that has anything to do with it. I exchanged it for one of those little caster wheel seats to roll around on and clean the bike. Now that works great!
    Last edited by wingd1800; 04-30-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    2010 Titanium level 1 new 3/12/11 1981 GL1100S new 7/15/1981

States from both my 1981 wing and my 2010 wing
    I love these Wings!!!

Darksider # 1257 since May 2012 Michelin primacy alpin pa3 zp 195/55-16

Post Thanks / Like

Yes carpet is an issue, it sorta works ok on concrete getting it up on the center stand, but getting it off looks a little bit like a monkey and a football....

Of course you could always just leave in on the side stand to do the front wheel.... shrug...
    Larry Price
    Edgewood, WA

I run Hybrid Tires....
    Front: Bridgestone Exedra G709 130/70R-18
    Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R-16

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I seem to remember a post several months ago on this same item. The poster said that the rollers were very hard to turn with weight on them as if they had very poor bearings. Maybe they have improved since then.

Joe in Modesto
    '05 Blue 1800 ABS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingd1800 View Post
    I had one and took it back. Had issues when putting on centerstand where tire was not in all the way between the 2 rollers. It would sit on only one roller. I have carpet in garage not sure if that has anything to do with it. I exchanged it for one of those little caster wheel seats to roll around on and clean the bike. Now that works great!
    Carpet?? You have a fancy garage ey' I cant keep concrete clean how do you keep that nice?
    06 white Level 3 Traxxion

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

get a lift, Pitbull is a popular lift but expensive, most of the cheaper ones will work just as well for polishing wheels, then u can sit on a chair and be comfortable
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have said, the rear spins in neutral on the centerstand. For the front I grab the wheel and pull up (while on the centerstand) and it picks the front end up enough to turn the tire so I can keep cleaning it. Although, generally, I let the good lord clean it for me when he waters the earth.
    Learn to ride the bike, so the bike doesn't ride you when and if you ever need to use it to its full potential. Learning doesn't end when the MSF ridercoach hands you the BRC completion card.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one, never use it. It's not a bad tool really, bearings are plenty OK for goldwing on the centerstand. The problems are lifting the front of the goldwing high enough to slip the wheel stand under. The goldwing is heavy to lift the front 2" off the floor while on the centerstand to slip the wheel cleaning stand under. It can be done, I did it, but then if the stand is not positioned just 100% perfectly perfect, the wheel when turned will walk off to one side or the other of the stand and make turning the wheel a chore rubbing on the frame of the cleaning stand. Much better to use the jack as mentioned or improvise some other means of lift.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stumpbucket View Post
    Carpet?? You have a fancy garage ey' I cant keep concrete clean how do you keep that nice?
    John

2001 GL1800 base

IBA # 25535

"Could you explain that to me as if I we're a particulary gifted child or a golden retriever?"

Post Thanks / Like

This works really well for me.And much steadier than a scissor jack under the engine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08-3321_400.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	57485

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by USNRider View Post
    Like others have said, the rear spins in neutral on the center stand. For the front I grab the wheel and pull up (while on the center stand) and it picks the front end up enough to turn the tire so I can keep cleaning it.
    You don't have to spend $30. With the bike on the center stand, it's easy to spin the front wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep your money...

It's a good concept but I found that the thing is probably meant for smaller bikes. it's not substantial enough to handle the Goldwing's weight. It supports the weight ok but when you spin the tire on it, the thing moves around and will not stay in a straight line. I give it a solid .
    2007 GL1800 Comfort Package

"Congress is a cesspool,it needs to be drained."-Charlie Daniels

Post Thanks / Like

Works OK for my trike!
    So long ... Pudge
    Southeastern New Mexico'06 gold GL 1800 with Roadsmith trike kit"

Those who would give up liberty and freedom for safety and security deserve neither and will lose both" Benjamin Franklin

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one of those front wheel rollers. Took it back. It might work for a lighter bike, but the GW1800 puts way too much weight on the rollers for it to work.
    2007 Comfort/Nav/ABS

Prior:
    1993 ST1100
    1983 CX650

I'll go totally green and give up my GoldWing when Al Gore gives up his charter jet.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of those and it works great. To get the bike on the rollers, I put the bike on the center stand, have the wife push down on the back of the bike and slide the rollers under the front wheel.
    Jim

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you wait a while, it often goes on sale for about $19-22.
    BK
    07 Dark Orange ABS

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

I have one and never use it. Like Fluke189 said, the wheel will walk to one side and its hard to deal with. Spend your money on something else.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.