My new love bug removal method
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My new love bug removal method

Post Thanks / Like

Default My new love bug removal method

I took a car trip to S. Florida last weekend and the car was loaded with love bugs. After checking into the motel it started to rain during the night sometime. The next morning the car had no love bugs at all. Seemed extended soaking with water did the trick. So, after a ride this Sunday on the trike to Sebring I returned home with lots of love bugs. Not feeling like washing the trike I used an empty windex bottle and filled it with water and sprayed all the bugs. I came out to the garage after a couple hours and did it again and repeated whenever I thought of it, trying to keep them wet. The next morning the bugs were gone. The only thing left was water spots where the water had dried.
    I've tried dryer sheets and hydrogen peroxide before but to me this worked the easiest and was the most effective. I got to admit I may have not let the peroxide set long enough and didn't give it a good chance but what could be easier then water? Try to keep them wet.
    Les

PROWLER #67
    IRON BUTT ASSOCIATION #33529
    U.S. Naval Cryptologic Veterans Ass'n
    RETIRED AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, you are on the right track. To clean the bugs off of the windshield or nose of the bike, , I usually just use a large cloth diaper or towel soaked in hot/hot/hot water. I simply wet the cloth and lay it on the windshield or nose. After about a 10 minute soak/steam, they wipe right off.

Post Thanks / Like

I AGREE I USE BIG BEACH TOWEL N IT GETS MIRRORS N NOSE N WINDSHIELD USE CLOSEPIN ON SHIELD SO TOWEL WONT SLIDE OFF

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of weeks ago Vicky went on one of her horse competitions in south Florida. When she got home the front of the truck was crusted with hundreds of bugs. I told her not to worry, peroxide would dissolve the little critters in no time. I sprayed them down and waited...NOTHING. I looked a little closer and realized these weren't love bugs. I don't know what they were. They were black and about the same size, but they were impervious to peroxide. It took about an hour of soaking with soapy water and a scrub brush to get them off. Glad we don't have them in north Florida. What the heck kinda bug ya'll got down there anyway?
    Prowler 4

Picking up the Wing, October 5th, 2007..I don't have it anymore but afraid you'll throw stones at me
    if I post the Beemer...besides I look better, younger, and slimmer in this picture

Prowl with pride

2013 BMW K1600 GTL

http://www.towjax.com/

Post Thanks / Like

While pondering worldly questions I wondered just how far up love bugs go and why we dont get to share them with our northern neighbors. Hmmmmmm. Heres some almost interesting info. One other thing ; do not use pam on the front of your vehicle. Its hell getting it off.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg068
    Last edited by anotherone; 05-08-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    ​prowler 71 larry

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The best stuff I've found for taking care of love bugs is a formula I got from Cal Sci's website:

Makes 1 quart = 1 liter windshield washing fluid

• 1/2 cup = 100ml ammonia (double this if you have a lot of bugs)
    • 2 cups = 400ml isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
    • 1.5 tsp = 8ml car wash detergent (don't substitute dish soap or laundry detergent)
    • 2 cups = 500ml water

This stuff works great for removing bugs from the bike, as well as being an excellent solution for cleaning windshields. Just use a micro fiber towel.

Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes and the bugs wipe right off!

Post Thanks / Like

.. hummm... I'm not sure about this.

..most every place else I've read suggests that anything with alcohol is not good for Lexan
    (i.e. the GL1800 windshield ?)

more info here CLICK HERE>>

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeboy View Post

Makes 1 quart = 1 liter windshield washing fluid

• 2 cups = 400ml isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
    Life.. what a ride
    DS #99 .. Prowler #0
    A word to the wise, is infuriating.(H.Thompspn)
    The needs of the many outweigh the fears of the few.
    corvus oculum corvi non eruit

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fairing.html#Cleaning

Lexan and polycarbonate are basically the same material. Lexan is a trade name.

I've been using this formula for years and years on numerous bikes (Harley's, Hondas, BMW's, Suzuki's, Yamahas, et al., that I've owned, with zero problems. It's too bad Calsci doesn't make a windshield for the Wing.

This is a pretty cool web site. Hit the "Home", button and surf around on it when you have time.

Seasoned Member craig alumbaugh's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeboy View Post
    http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fairing.html#Cleaning

Lexan and polycarbonate are basically the same material. Lexan is a trade name.

I've been using this formula for years and years on numerous bikes (Harley's, Hondas, BMW's, Suzuki's, Yamahas, et al., that I've owned, with zero problems. It's too bad Calsci doesn't make a windshield for the Wing.

This is a pretty cool web site. Hit the "Home", button and surf around on it when you have time.
    Thanks Jakeboy, added that site to my fav's, will look at it more closely from time to time. looks like a fountain of information in the quick scan I have
    given it so far.

Bye, Bye

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.