Roadsmith Comfort Controls
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadsmith Comfort Controls

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Roadsmith Comfort Controls

Anybody know any more about these? They were advertised on the back cover of wingworld. I went to the website which says they'll be debuted July 4th and cost $699 plus installation. That seems pretty steep so I was wondering if anybody here had any more information.

Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

These What?
    BK
    07 Dark Orange ABS

Post Thanks / Like

I googled Roadsmith and it's still a mystery to me...

http://trikeshop.com/news/4192012/

Ah here we go...

the new controls actually move both foot pegs and the brake and shift levers forward 3 inches and down 1 inch using a collection of machined parts and linkages that bolt on to the bike and promise thousands of miles of trouble-free usage.

For $700.00 plus installation.... it had better be bullet proof.... for at least 100k miles.
    Last edited by Larry Price; 05-13-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    Larry Price
    Edgewood, WA

I run Hybrid Tires....
    Front: Bridgestone Exedra G709 130/70R-18
    Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R-16

Post Thanks / Like

Cool piece of equipment, but not for $700!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want the pegs lower they already scrape when cornering.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motor22 View Post
    I wouldn't want the pegs lower they already scrape when cornering.
    Not on a trike!
    2005 1800 Goldwing w/2008 Trike Shop Roadsmith

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the same ad, idea seems good. A little pricey, but sure would like to sit on a bike first before buying. After reading there web-site they acted like they would be at the GoldWing Wing Ding in Fort Wayne in July.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljk View Post
    Not on a trike!

The pic on the website doesn't show it on a trike but your statement is correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Default trailers

does anyone think or know if i could trailer my yamaha 1900 behind my 2012 1800 roadsmith

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

To each his own but for me the standard peg position is too far aft for me to stand on comfortably. I like to do so periodically to cool my posterior while riding though I quit standing on
    Gl1800 pegs after seeing a couple pegs that had sheared off.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Trike Shop had a trike with these on it at the Niehaus open house. These are very well made and its obvious that a lot of engineering went into them. I sat on the Roadsmith with them and found them very comfortable. I will be ordering a set for mine.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have big feet it would seem to me that you are going to be shoved against or crammed under the engine heads. Would be nice to have the knees straight instead of cramed up to the rear.
    Mike Anderson

2002 Illusion Blue 1800 w/ 2006 CSC Trike Conversion
    2006 Illusion Blue Escapade Trailer
    2005 Blue/Sliver HD FLHTCUI Ultra Classic

Post Thanks / Like

To see more details click here http://trikeshop.com/news/4192012/
    The Trike Shop
    Manufacturer of Roadsmith trikes

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The mechanism looks like the ticket for trike riders who like a more forward foot position. I am curious about lowered pegs on a 2-wheel goldwing as the lean angle is limited to begin with. In any case, I am confident of the quality (coming from Trike Shop) as well as that the company will stand behind the parts.

Seasoned Member Hollow Road Rider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Made for Trikes?

These should certainly be well machined and well made, and I am guessing these would feel good for anybody who wants to stretch out a bit more, but I think they are really intended for trikes. When I asked Roadsmith how they would perform on Wing that already scrapes the pegs in the corners, I was advised to "slow down".
    Anti Chrome # 142

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw a bike at a dealership that had this option on it and the gear shift/shaft bushing was completely trashed due to the short arm applying much more lateral force to it than the long OEM shift lever.

Just my observation.

CORRECTION: The bike I saw DID NOT have Roadsmith brand parts on it, although they looked just like the pics and worked exactly the same.

That bike was modified before the Roadsmith brand parts were available.

Apologies for the misinformation and to Roadsmith for mistaking what I saw for their parts.
    Last edited by jpooch00; 09-26-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: To correct bogus information and apologise for same.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Roadsmith Comfort Controls

I have these installed on my Wing/Trike.

They definitely do make a difference in that now I'm sitting in a more natural position. Having these made the difference in my choosing the Wing over a Harley as I never cared for the "foot down and tucked position" that the Wing has. These comfort controls, while definitely not allowing you to have your feet completely forward, did change my sitting position enough to make me more comfortable. Although a bit expensive, it was clearly worth if for me!
    Rich / Rock-N-Roll 4 Ever ~ Lost In The 50s
    -------
    2005 GL1800 / 2012 Roadsmith conversion / Metallic Portland Gray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpooch00 View Post
    I saw a bike at a dealership that had this option on it and the gear shift/shaft bushing was completely trashed due to the short arm applying much more lateral force to it than the long OEM shift lever.

Just my observation.
    Evidently who ever did the install must have screwed it up. I have no problems with shifting or the rear brake!
    -------

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmrc51 View Post
    Evidently who ever did the install must have screwed it up. I have no problems with shifting or the rear brake!
    I never said that it had any effect on the rear brake or the shifting. I said that the lateral forces imposed by the short linkage lever wore out the bushing.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I never said that it had any effect on the rear brake or the shifting. I said that the lateral forces imposed by the short linkage lever wore out the bushing.
    Sorry, I mis-understood your post. So far, all is working very well with mine. I'll watch even more closely now and also mention this to Roadsmith when I call them for some other information. Thanks for the correction.
    -------

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmrc51 View Post
    Sorry, I mis-understood your post. So far, all is working very well with mine. I'll watch even more closely now and also mention this to Roadsmith when I call them for some other information. Thanks for the correction.
    Please see my edited post. What I saw was not a Roadsmith product, although it looked just like the pics and worked the same way.

Apologies for the misinformation.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Please see my edited post. What I saw was not a Roadsmith product, although it looked just like the pics and worked the same way.

Apologies for the misinformation.
    That makes me feel alot better regarding my setup,,.. I was concerned there for awhile,,. Phew,, lol.
    -------

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering if any more of us have had this product installed on their bikes? I would love to move 3" forward w/feet and down an inch and if it works I would be happy to pay the $$$$, well maybe not happy but willingly. I really enjoy my wing but I do miss the forward foot position I had on my VTX.
    Jon

[

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I gues it's what onew gets used to. I find the pegs on goldwings too far forward for my taste. It's awkward for me to 'post' over rough surfaces and to stand in the saddle to stretch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Roberts View Post
    I'm wondering if any more of us have had this product installed on their bikes? I would love to move 3" forward w/feet and down an inch and if it works I would be happy to pay the $$$$, well maybe not happy but willingly. I really enjoy my wing but I do miss the forward foot position I had on my VTX.
    Jon,

My best description that I can give you is that with these Comfort Controls installed, you're no longer in that 'tucked' position you find on all Goldwings. (At least that's how I always felt) You're sitting in a more 'natural' stance with your feet slightly forward and down further. Granted, its not a 'foot-forward' position like the Harleys (I wish it was), but it's clearly a nice improvement over the stock setup. The main question is how much does the stock position bother you and are you willing to spend the money to improve it a bit. All I can say is I have no regrets and having these new Comfort Controls available tipped the scales in favor of the Wing over the Harley, as I always preferred the Wing "except", for the foot position!
    Last edited by rmrc51; 10-23-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    -------

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Those that have weight bearing foot fairings on your trikes should try removing your rider foot pegs and using the foot fairings!
    Shifting and braking takes a little getting use to but, many positions to move your feet around and gets you out of that uncomfortable, to me, leg "tuck" position.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tfdeputydawg View Post
    Those that have weight bearing foot fairings on your trikes should try removing your rider foot pegs and using the foot fairings!
    Shifting and braking takes a little getting use to but, many positions to move your feet around and gets you out of that uncomfortable, to me, leg "tuck" position.
    I think that's a great suggestion before you invest in the Comfort Controls. I never thought about trying that. If it does work for you, you've just saved a nice piece of change!
    -------

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, I enjoy hearing everyone's opinions, especially the posters who actually have this option on their bikes. I'm 6'2" and after 90 minutes my knee's do begin to ache and I'm not in bad shape so I'm looking for some options.

When I bought my Wing 3 years ago I looked hard at the Vision because of it's feet forward position, more than once in the last two years I have 2nd guessed my Wing purchase. I like everything about the Wing except the foot position and the front end wobble!
    Jon

[

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who have the Comfort Controls installed, did you install them yourself or did you have it done? The brake side doesn't look complicated, but the shifter side seems a bit more involved. I'm sure it's pretty straightforward, but I'd like to hear if anyone did this installation for yourself, and if so, what was your experience with the job? Is it something you'd recommend for the average wrench? Thanks very much for your help.
    So long ... Pudge
    Southeastern New Mexico'06 gold GL 1800 with Roadsmith trike kit"

Those who would give up liberty and freedom for safety and security deserve neither and will lose both" Benjamin Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

Default comfort controls

Had mine put on at Wing Ding, I was the first customer and had been waiting there for them to open. I love the Wing, except for the foot position, so this was the ticket for me. They feel great, better than stock position but still not as good as my forward controls om my old Nomad. I have a 2009 with a Champion SA kit with the Aqu Shields and MC floorboards with stock brake pedal but had to get a pedal pad added ( clamp on) to add some hieght. They are well made and strong. Big price, but my knees are now happy on any long runs......

2014 Tri Glide HD
    2014 RTS SE6Can-AM Spyder (wife's)
    RTS622 Spyder Trailer
    2003 Bunkhouse Camper
    1966 Mustang
    eefot@msn.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.