Zumo 550 digitizer replacement
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Zumo 550 digitizer replacement

Seasoned Member Wayne from Alabama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Zumo 550 digitizer replacement

My zumo has kinda gone crazy and after doing some research I have learned the digitizer (touch screen) has lost it's mind and has to be replaced. Because of a tight budget, looks like my best option is to buy the part I need and do the repair myself. I'm hoping there is a member on the board that has done this and can give me some advise.... specifically: a reputable seller on ebay and any other tips that may be helpful.
    Wayne from Alabama
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

I did it a couple of months ago. I had bought one "just in case" off ebay and ended up using it on a friend's 550. Now I need to get another for myself "just in case". It was less than $15 including shipping from China. I don't remember who it was but there are several on ebay selling them.

The screws to open the case are in VERY tight. Use the correct size tool to remove them (we had to go buy one at Radio Shack) and don't strip the heads of the screws. Other than that it is a very simple job. Work over a towel or something so the tiny screws don't bounce onto the floor. Open it up, remove the holding frame, unplug the old one, plug in the new one, replace the holding frame and put it back together. And don't drop the rubber o-ring type gasket for the screen onto the floor when you fit the halves back together (or you'll just have to open it up again! ).

Our Favorite Roads, so far!

Bob & Kathy
    2003 GL1800A
    The Adventures of Lemonade

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advise Dragon. Makes feel a little more confidant about taking this expensive gadget apart. Makes me wonder if it might be a good idea to order two of the digitizers so I will have one for "just in case".
    I'll shop ebay and try to pick the best deal.

Thanks again
    Wayne
    Wayne from Alabama
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, this Summer while I was in Texas, my 4 year-old 550 touch screen went crazy too. I took mine apart to clean the digitizer because I remembered reading on the forum that dirt underneath the gasket around the screen can screw up the touch screen. After a careful cleaning with denatured alcohol I reassembled everything and no luck,it was still not working correctly.

I called Garmin Tech Support and a very knowledgeable Tech took me through some trouble shooting steps and determined that the unit needed to go back to Garmin to be repaired. I explained to the Tech that I was on vacation out of state and needed my GPS to finish my trip. He said that he would ship out a refurbished unit by overnight UPS and when I got it I could just ship my old one back to them. They charged me $150 on a credit card and said it would be refunded as soon as the old one was received by them. He told me how to transfer all my saved information and settings to the new one.

I sent my old one back after I got my saved routes, favorites, etc on the new one and about a week or so later the refund showed up on my credit card. I can't say enough about Garmin Customer Support. They sent me a refurbished unit with newer maps to replace a 4 year-old out of warranty unit and all it cost me was the shipping to send them my old one.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been using Garmin's for about 15 years (since the Garmin II). I have had some problems with a couple units. Garmin service has always been good to me and treated me well, whether I was screwing it up myself or it was the unit's fault. I currently have a Zumo 550 and a 600, both working well.

Our Favorite Roads, so far!

Bob & Kathy
    2003 GL1800A
    The Adventures of Lemonade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wingleader09 View Post
    Wayne, this Summer while I was in Texas, my 4 year-old 550 touch screen went crazy too. I took mine apart to clean the digitizer because I remembered reading on the forum that dirt underneath the gasket around the screen can screw up the touch screen. After a careful cleaning with denatured alcohol I reassembled everything and no luck,it was still not working correctly.

I called Garmin Tech Support and a very knowledgeable Tech took me through some trouble shooting steps and determined that the unit needed to go back to Garmin to be repaired. I explained to the Tech that I was on vacation out of state and needed my GPS to finish my trip. He said that he would ship out a refurbished unit by overnight UPS and when I got it I could just ship my old one back to them. They charged me $150 on a credit card and said it would be refunded as soon as the old one was received by them. He told me how to transfer all my saved information and settings to the new one.

I sent my old one back after I got my saved routes, favorites, etc on the new one and about a week or so later the refund showed up on my credit card. I can't say enough about Garmin Customer Support. They sent me a refurbished unit with newer maps to replace a 4 year-old out of warranty unit and all it cost me was the shipping to send them my old one.
    That's some good information, Wingleader. That would be an even better deal than fixing it myself. I ordered the part on ebay this afternoon so I guess I'll just have to go that route. Thanks for the info though. It's good to know garmin stands behind their products like that. (Especially since they don't come cheap) My zumo came with the bike when I bought it and I was pretty shocked when I looked at the cost of a new one.
    Wayne from Alabama
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike McElhannon
    FIRE&IRON MC ST.106
    Paramedic 3611
    GWRRA#142020
    Dark Sider#237[/color]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emsp3611 View Post
    Thanks, emsp. Those are some very good step by step instructions.
    Wayne from Alabama
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update.... I got the digitizer Friday and got it put in last night. The zumo is healthy again.... really even better than before. Before it took a heavy touch to use the screen and now it works with a much lighter touch.
    Thanks to the users who posted with some good tips and info
    Wayne
    Wayne from Alabama
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.