Fluid leaking from rear end
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fluid leaking from rear end

Contributing Member bigorangemd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fluid leaking from rear end

I have a 2001 that I noticed was leaking what appears to be dark gray to almost black fluid from the R side of rear end at the tire. Forgive my ignorance but not sure if a GW has a rear differential but if so it would appear to be coming from there. Drove it home (10mi) and seems to run fine but too a while to get it to go into neutral, would switch gears easily but not find neutral. Two questions: First is this a leaking differential - I'm sure I need to take it to be seen about so Second: Is it safe to drive it to dealer or should I arrange a tow. Thanks.
    Darkside #805

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First thing I would recommend is check the fluid in the final drive...may be time for a change out....

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not really a differential, just a shaft driven rearend. You probably have a leaking ring gear seal. Cheapest way to fix it, is to buy a trike take off rearend and swap it out. Takes about an hour and most trike take offs have 0 miles on them so it's almost brand new. I wouldn't ride it much, that gear oil is slick and it's getting on your tire, you don't want to go down.
    Last edited by techdude2000; 06-14-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    GO UK Wildcats, C.A.T.S. Cats! Cats! Cats!
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. Saw oil on the floor of the garage on the right side. Did my research and found that the seals inside were gone and best to change out the rear drive. Found a zero mile take off on Ebay and changed out the bad for new. Simple job if your handy. Nice and smooth and quiet now!!

Contributing Member bigorangemd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's worth my time to take to shop. Just trying to find if it's safe to ride. Rode when it was leaking badly and didn't get slick so not too worried just don't want to break something trying to get it there.
    Darkside #805

Post Thanks / Like

NO! It is NOT safe to ride in general. A 10 mile non cengested ride to the dealer AFTER wiping down the oil is something a nut like me might try, but I can't recommend it. I can understand having a pro shop do the work if you are not a mechanicaly inclined person and fairly well healed. Your dealer or independent shop is probably aware of trike take offs too. Good luck!

prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a new rear with brake disc and caliper with pads for $125. Just change it out. The big trike convertion dealers have plenty. Mine came from Sercy Arkansas.

Smitty
    2004 Suzuki Vstrommmmmmmm
    2012 Aluma MCT White
    2005 KTM 400 exc

Alaska 2011.. Trip of a life time..10,000 miles, two sets of tires, $2500. dollars, one deer strike,
    all in 14 day's.. Perfect !!!

Cheating death is the only thing keeping me alive!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

if you happen to have the Honda towing plan ($120 for 5 years) they will tow your wing to the Honda dealer for free
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!
    DON'T ride it.. I had the same thing on my '03.. it's most likely the rear seal, and that will blow oil all over your tire. Oily tires don't do very well at sticking to the road. Remember what happens to a car when James Bond sprays oil on the road in front of it... You don't want to go down just to save a tow... that would kind of spoil your whole day.
    A trike take off will solve your issue, and as others have said, they are pretty cheap.

Here's my story.. BT, DT
    http://www.ridersrally.org/bb3kit/ph...hp?f=1&t=22330

Good Luck..

=Dave=

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Roost View Post
    NO! It is NOT safe to ride
    ... and when you get to a dealer, already have a final drive assembly to hand them. Otherwise they may want to repair yours and that would be extreemly costly. That is what our rear ends are called ... a final drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Electroman View Post
    Had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. Saw oil on the floor of the garage on the right side. Did my research and found that the seals inside were gone and best to change out the rear drive. Found a zero mile take off on Ebay and changed out the bad for new. Simple job if your handy. Nice and smooth and quiet now!!
    get a trike takeoff from ebay and install it yourself. dont waste your time with a overhaul. these are selling very cheap.
    2005 turbo hayabusa

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rear end oil leak

I was lucky with my 02. Near the end of extended warranty I noticed it weaping oil. Took it to the dealer in Nov & got it back in Dec with rebuilt rear end covered under warranty. Cold ride home as I recall.
    Last edited by Farmer Jack; 06-20-2012 at 06:45 AM.
    Farmer Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Fixed mine for about $6.00

My 06 had a leak from day one, I would get a single drop on the right side wall of rear tire when I park it after running it hard.

When I took it in for warranty repair, the dealer's "top tech" took the bike for a "13 mile" ride came back and told me it was not leaking.

After putting up with constantly having to check the fluid level and toping it off every month for about a year, I decided to fix it my self, here's what I found.

Obviously a factory assembly boo boo.

Last edited by Wing One; 06-17-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S Tricolore

06 Wing ABS, Dark Red, Fully Traxxionized

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wing One for taking the time to upload the pictures and info. Very informative for those of us that may encounter this one day.
    USMC 1968 - 1970

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Thanks Wing One for taking the time to upload the pictures and info. Very informative for those of us that may encounter this one day.
    You're Welcome Too Tall.
    2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S Tricolore

06 Wing ABS, Dark Red, Fully Traxxionized

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.