Purolator PL 14612 Oil Filter GL1800
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 75

Thread: Purolator PL 14612 Oil Filter GL1800

  1. #1
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    alexandria, alabama
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Purolator PL 14612 Oil Filter GL1800

    Does anyone have experience using this filter? Is it an acceptable substitute for the Honda filter? It can be purchased at Advanced Auto Parts.

    Purolator PL14612

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Seasoned Member goinssr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm using them on my Wing and my FJR. The 610 is the long one and the 612 is the short one, or the other way around, I forget. I'm getting them at WalMart. These are filters that WalMArt has started carrying since they stopped selling the SuperTec.

    Stephen
    2008 Black GL1800
    DS #246
    He is, therefore, I am.
    Cancer Sucks!

  4. #3
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
    Posts
    9,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If it is a PureOne, I wouldn't use it. Here is the warning about that filter at the bottom of Purolator's web page.
    http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/pages/powersportsfilters.aspx


    What About PureONE
    If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

  5. #4
    Seasoned Member bamadave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hartselle, Al
    Posts
    997
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My last SuperTech is on the Wing and will be doing an oil change soon.
    Since the one on now is short, I will be using the Purolator L14612...not sure about the difference in it and the Purolator PL14612?
    bamadave
    2006 Goldwing 1800




    "Pass the taters"





    "Tat my baby's daddy...I thinks"!

  6. #5
    Seasoned Member timjoebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Posts
    1,292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I used the Pure One shorty filter, whichever number that is, with no issues whatsoever, but after reading the warning posted by Greg above, I switched back to OEM about a year ago. Why risk such a big investment?
    Tim
    2013 Honda F6B HR "Signature Series" (born 7/17/13)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone)
    2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858 Kumho Ecsta SPT 195/55/16. (Run-flat)
    IBA #47379
    www.FaithOnTheRoadAgain.com


  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Watching Karma unfold
    Posts
    11,439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes I have experience with the Pure One filter. I been using them on my 1500 & now for over 6 years on this current 1800.
    The L designates Purolators White regular filter.
    The P designates Purolators Yellow pure one filter.

    Both will get the job done filtering particulates, Both are constructed better than the OEM filter is.

    Purolator Pure OnePL14612 (Short)
    Purolator Pure OnePL14610 (Tall )
    Purolator L14612 (short)
    Purolator L14610 (Tall)


    Here is a recent thread that proves there is no significant advantage in any of the filters that will fit the GL1800. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...r-PSI-Test-Res

  8. #7
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I use it, also use puloator on my lawn mower, there is a cross reference purolator # for a lawn mower, that is a car filter, they don't make a lawn mower filter. Just saying.
    2006 1800

  9. #8
    Seasoned Member bamadave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hartselle, Al
    Posts
    997
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYJ View Post
    I use it, also use puloator on my lawn mower, there is a cross reference purolator # for a lawn mower, that is a car filter, they don't make a lawn mower filter. Just saying.

    Same here, got one on my John Deere LA105 riding mower.
    bamadave
    2006 Goldwing 1800




    "Pass the taters"





    "Tat my baby's daddy...I thinks"!

  10. #9
    Seasoned Member 01 winger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    big rock va.
    Posts
    1,386
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYJ View Post
    I use it, also use puloator on my lawn mower, there is a cross reference purolator # for a lawn mower, that is a car filter, they don't make a lawn mower filter. Just saying.
    JUst like the oil difference's everyone will have to use there own judgement.I used the super-techs for years people downed it i bought the L14612 will use it on the next oil change.

  11. #10
    Seasoned Member Bowtie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tryon, NC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    To say the a car filter should not be used on a motorcycle is nonsense. The characteristics are almost identical; bypass pressue and anti backflow. Also someone recently did a pressure test and showed that the PureOne was within 2 psi (2.6%) of the OE honda filter.
    The link below is interesting and shows the quality and characteristics of different filters. THe Purolator PureOne is one of the best filters on the market.

    http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

    If it will not work directly you may need to copy and paste the URL into your Browser.

    Jeff...

  12. #11
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
    Posts
    9,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
    To say the a car filter should not be used on a motorcycle is nonsense.
    Jeff...
    Kind of the same thing as saying anti-freeze is anti-freeze. Sometimes things we can't see or make sense of have real differances. That's when we have to read and pay attantion to warning the most.

  13. #12
    Seasoned Member Bowtie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tryon, NC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldWingrGreg View Post
    Kind of the same thing as saying anti-freeze is anti-freeze. Sometimes things we can't see or make sense of have real differances. That's when we have to read and pay attantion to warning the most.
    On offense intended Greg but it is not the same thing. However antifreeze can be antifreeze when its components are the same. As you said "you have to read and pay attention".

    Jeff...

  14. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Watching Karma unfold
    Posts
    11,439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The same can be said of a guy who preaches the Honda Service Manual and only using OEM parts, yet installs altered gears because he can make money off of these people against the Manuals guidance or using only OEM parts. Funny how that works out huh?


    Back to the topic at hand with common sense thrown in.

    Clearly Purolator wrote this literature as a CYA policy. Any mechanic worth his salt knows that all engines are not created equal. many have different Oil pressure requirements at various RPM levels. Without my educating the not so bright one.

    The GL1800 engine isn't to be confused with any other motorcycle engine. Theoretically the GL1800 engine is a Car engine in a Motorcycle (Think Subaru/Porche boxer style). If your head can absorb this fact then you'll see through the nonsense posted.

  15. #14
    Chromeaphobe laen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    16,861
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What About PureONE

    If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator filter over a PureONE oil filter.


    Even the manufacturer above states in writing not to use their oil filters on bikes. I agree with Rocky that the GL1800 engine is more like a car and there probably would NEVER be any problems. I personally stick with the OEM.Why take a chance?

    2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

  16. #15
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
    Posts
    9,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laen View Post
    What About PureONE

    If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator filter over a PureONE oil filter.


    Even the manufacturer above states in writing not to use their oil filters on bikes. I personally stick with the OEM.Why take a chance?
    Not to mention that at least 2 used ones failed the required PSI test on a GL1800 while all the other used ones passed (at least so far). Further evidance that the warning can be real.

  17. #16
    Seasoned Member Pigeon Roost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Logan, WV
    Posts
    12,174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I use OAE filters NOT because I think they are best, although I think they are totally adequate; but because I have a sh1t load of them from a bulk order. I agree with the logic set forth by the autor of the work Rocky cited, that the manufacturer of the Pure One filter was worried about motorcylces in general and not GoldWings with the more robust automotive oil pumps. Not only is fouled media a problem in restricting filtes, but more importnt is cold thick oil. If I were to change now, I would get Wix or Napa Gold due to easy availability. I do not think I would use the motorcycle specific Purolator. I would have no problem with the Pure One.

    What ever flips your boat, if you get an oil related or oil filter related failure, be sure to let us know the details.

    prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

    DARKSIDER #1249

    "Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

  18. #17
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    405
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default PL vs L

    Quote Originally Posted by bamadave View Post
    My last SuperTech is on the Wing and will be doing an oil change soon.
    Since the one on now is short, I will be using the Purolator L14612...not sure about the difference in it and the Purolator PL14612?
    The Pure ones (PL) are made in the USA. Their standard filters (L) are made in China by a sub contractor. I've used the PL14610 on my Valkyrie for the last 80K miles. It now has 128K on the ODO. No problems. Now I use the PL14612 on the Wing. My feelings on Purolator's website is that they sell a much more expensive filter that says MC on it. I'd put a disclaimer on one filter to get folks to buy the one where I made more profit. It's just good business sense. Is it true? I doubt it.

  19. #18
    Seasoned Member Larry Price's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Puyallup, WA
    Posts
    4,078
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldWingrGreg View Post
    If it is a PureOne, I wouldn't use it. Here is the warning about that filter at the bottom of Purolator's web page.
    http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/pages/powersportsfilters.aspx


    What About PureONE
    If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

    EXCEPT when the Purolator application chart list as acceptable an L series filter. Hmmm... I guess an car filter is ok when they don't make a specific ML filter for the application. Marketing speak at its finest don't you think?
    Larry Price
    Edgewood, WA

    I run Hybrid Tires....
    Front: Bridgestone Exedra G709 130/70R-18
    Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R-16

  20. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Watching Karma unfold
    Posts
    11,439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    The Pure ones (PL) are made in the USA. Their standard filters (L) are made in China by a sub contractor. I've used the PL14610 on my Valkyrie for the last 80K miles. It now has 128K on the ODO. No problems. Now I use the PL14612 on the Wing. My feelings on Purolator's website is that they sell a much more expensive filter that says MC on it. I'd put a disclaimer on one filter to get folks to buy the one where I made more profit. It's just good business sense. Is it true? I doubt it.

    That's not correct. I just took this picture of the regular filter I bought to keep on hand two days ago.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6300081.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	61645

    The pure One filter comes in a yellow box.

  21. #20
    Contributing Member DavidinKy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Beaver Dam, Ky USA
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Yes I have experience with the Pure One filter. I been using them on my 1500 & now for over 6 years on this current 1800.
    The L designates Purolators White regular filter.
    The P designates Purolators Yellow pure one filter.

    Both will get the job done filtering particulates, Both are constructed better than the OEM filter is.

    Purolator Pure OnePL14612 (Short)
    Purolator Pure OnePL14610 (Tall )
    Purolator L14612 (short)
    Purolator L14610 (Tall)


    Here is a recent thread that proves there is no significant advantage in any of the filters that will fit the GL1800. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...r-PSI-Test-Res
    +1 I too use the Pure One and have for several years, no problem whatsoever, will continue to do so. I use the long one, a little snug but not too hard to get on. David
    David / 2002 Stream Silver / Darkside # 1300 - American Legion Riders Post 55

  22. #21
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs down

    Look folks,
    by trying to save a buck it ends costing you 2. My recommendation is stick to the manufactures recommendation and sleep well at night.

  23. #22
    Contributing Member DavidinKy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Beaver Dam, Ky USA
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmiller View Post
    Look folks,
    by trying to save a buck it ends costing you 2. My recommendation is stick to the manufactures recommendation and sleep well at night.
    I sleep like a baby, Thank you. David
    David / 2002 Stream Silver / Darkside # 1300 - American Legion Riders Post 55

  24. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Emmett, Id
    Posts
    1,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmiller View Post
    Look folks,
    by trying to save a buck it ends costing you 2. My recommendation is stick to the manufactures recommendation and sleep well at night.
    I find it comforting (and helping my sleep) by knowing that I am using one of the best oil filters on my Goldwing that money can buy. And that means that I am not using the OEM one.

    Rather doubt that my engine is going to hand grenade by using the OEM one, but when you can do better at half the price of the OEM, why the heck would you not want to?

  25. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Watching Karma unfold
    Posts
    11,439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmiller View Post
    Look folks,
    by trying to save a buck it ends costing you 2. My recommendation is stick to the manufactures recommendation and sleep well at night.

    It always amazes me why people say the things they do when they should ask for the correct answer instead of saying something stupid that is uncalled for..

    You want to explain what is in bold above. I know I'd like to hear what you have to say about that part.


    Reasons why I use a Pure One Filter:

    1) It's the best filter I can buy for my bike.
    2) I can walk into just about any parts store and find one on the shelf.


    Try doing that with an OEM filter.
    1) You try and walk into a Honda dealer and get an oil filter when you need one. Good luck with that!
    2) Local dealers don't stock the simplest of maintenance items so we don't have to shop online for them.



    Here is something to think about as you sleep at night.

    If you can decipher what you are looking at that is.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2200032[1].jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	61648

  26. #25
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    As the new way, somewhere
    Posts
    13,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    All I know is Confucsus says.........if dummy one does not install filter oil will end up on garage floor.

  27. #26
    Seasoned Member bluestreakrem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Filter Facts
    Filter Comments Supplier/Cost Over All Length Particulate Size
    Filtering
    Filter Eff.
    %
    Bosch Distance Plus
    D3300
    Short Version
    Made by Champion
    WalMart
    $11.97
    3" 15 micron 99.9
    Bosch Distance Plus
    D3323
    Longer Version
    Made by Champion
    WalMart
    $11.97
    3-9/16" 15 micron 99.9
    SuperTech
    ST7317
    Longer Version
    Product of USA
    WalMart
    $ 2.84
    3-3/8" ? ?
    Purolator
    ML16817
    Power Sports
    Motorcycle specific filter.
    Made in China
    PepBoys
    $ 9.20
    3-1/16" ? ?
    Purolator Pure One
    PL14612
    Short Version
    Made in USA
    PepBoys
    $ 6.49
    3" 20 micron 99.9
    Honda
    OEM
    15410-MFJ-D01
    Short Filter Honda
    $ 9.99
    2-5/8" ? ?
    Purolator Pure One
    PL14610
    Long Version
    Made in USA
    PepBoys
    $ 6.49
    3-9/16" 20 micron 99.9
    Mobil 1 M1-108
    Extended Performance
    Short version
    Product of USA
    PepBoys
    $ 13.99
    2-9/16 10 micron 99.2
    Mobil 1 M1-110
    Extended Performance
    Long Version
    Product of USA
    PepBoys
    $ 13.99
    3-1/2" 10 micron 99.2
    Yamaha/Denso
    5GH-13440
    Short Filter Yamaha
    $ 12.20
    2-7/8" ? ?
    Notes:
    - A question mark denotes no data could be located for this value.
    - The Mobil 1, Bosch and Pure One filters have been shown to have the same synthetic filtering media by vertue of disassembly.
    - The claimed particulate filtering size and efficiency stated are from the manufacturers website.


    Current rides:
    73 Yamaha RD 350
    85 Yamaha RZ 350
    79 Yamaha Daytona 400
    82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
    08 Honda Goldwing Airbag-Full Monty Traxxion
    03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
    82 Yamaha YZ 250
    02 VTX 1800C
    06 Yamaha YZF-R1
    06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
    02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

  28. #27
    Seasoned Member goinssr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like it when some here staunchly defend the use of OEM product with the idea that it is the best for the bike just because it is OEM and Honda would not use anything but the best available for their bike. Do they not realize that Honda does not make these products? They source the manufacture of these products to the cheapest bidder who can build it within the specified guidelines (and believe be when I say that the guidelines are very vague and broad as I worked in manufacturing for 27 years) They would rather fight than admit that there are better substitutes for fluids, filters, etc. yet these same people would rather hit a fence post than run a Dunlop 250 on their bike saying that it is the worst piece of rubber that ever hit the road, yet it is an OEM item. Surely Honda would NEVER use a tire for which there is no better substitute. Bottom line is that there are better oils, filters, etc. but regardless of that fact use what gives you a warm fuzzy and have a great ride. For some reason mine just rides and runs better with Rotella worming its way through a Purolator filter. Go figure!
    Last edited by goinssr; 07-02-2012 at 12:47 PM.

    Stephen
    2008 Black GL1800
    DS #246
    He is, therefore, I am.
    Cancer Sucks!

  29. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Watching Karma unfold
    Posts
    11,439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goinssr View Post
    I like it when some here staunchly defend the use of OEM product with the idea that it is the best for the bike just because it is OEM and Honda would not use anything but the best available for their bike. Do they not realize that Honda does not make these products? They source the manufacture of these products to the cheapest bidder who can build it within the specified guidelines (and believe be when I say that the guidelines are very vague and broad as I worked in manufacturing for 27 years) They would rather fight than admit that there are better substitutes for fluids, filters, etc. yet these same people would rather hit a fence post than run a Dunlop 250 on their bike saying that it is the worst piece of rubber that ever hit the road, yet it is an OEM item. Surely Honda would NEVER use a tire for which there is no better substitute. Bottom line is that there are better oils, filters, etc. but regardless of that fact use what gives you a warm fuzzy and have a great ride. For some reason mine just rides and runs better with Rotella worming its way through a Purolator filter. Go figure!

    You want to laugh.

    The OEM Honda Preacher. Stated yesterday that he uses a Fram filter in his Toyota! I guess that's all right for a toyota huh?? LOL

  30. #29
    Seasoned Member Pigeon Roost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Logan, WV
    Posts
    12,174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit Carson View Post
    All I know is Confucsus says.........if dummy one does not install filter oil will end up on garage floor.

    Mistakes are great teachers. I am well schooled, too.

    prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

    DARKSIDER #1249

    "Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

  31. #30
    Seasoned Member goinssr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    You want to laugh.

    The OEM Honda Preacher. Stated yesterday that he uses a Fram filter in his Toyota! I guess that's all right for a toyota huh?? LOL
    I am SO ashamed....I must admit that I too am guilty of using a Fram filter....on my Goldwing though. I'm sorry! Please forgive me!

    On second thought; forget it! I may even use another one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Roost View Post
    Mistakes are great teachers. I am well schooled, too.

    prs
    Hey PR..I doubt that you are any better schooled than I am...
    Last edited by goinssr; 07-02-2012 at 01:36 PM.

    Stephen
    2008 Black GL1800
    DS #246
    He is, therefore, I am.
    Cancer Sucks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •