+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Purolator PL 14612 Oil Filter GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    HUH???
    No way Jose!!

Attachment 61972
    WAY! Your picture clearly shows the puro can is nearly flush with the mating ridge while the honda is not quite as flush. Since you have both, measure around the can of the Puro and the Honda and see what you get. Puro will be fatter. I didn't have a honda but did have a Mobil and the puro can was "WAY" (to quote an onl friend) bigger, Jose. I might try to dig the mobil out of the trash if it's still on top and measure. I'm not big on diggin in the trash tho.

To clarify, I am not talking about the mating ridge that has the gasket. That's the same. I'm talking about the CAN, which is fatter.
    Last edited by Waldo; 07-07-2012 at 12:10 AM.
    KD8OVH
    '06 GL1800 Black Stealth F-117
    Progressive monotubes & Traxxion tree
    Vietnam Vet - Infantry Recon 69'-71'
    Daughter serves as LoadMaster CJ Elvis USAFr

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    WAY! Your picture clearly shows the puro can is nearly flush with the mating ridge while the honda is not quite as flush. Since you have both, measure around the can of the Puro and the Honda and see what you get. Puro will be fatter. I didn't have a honda but did have a Mobil and the puro can was "WAY" (to quote an onl friend) bigger, Jose. I might try to dig the mobil out of the trash if it's still on top and measure. I'm not big on diggin in the trash tho.

To clarify, I am not talking about the mating ridge that has the gasket. That's the same. I'm talking about the CAN, which is fatter.

Okay.here's just the cans.(Both Purolator cans are the same OD)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7050010.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	62024

Even the GL1500 Honda filter can is the same OD and it has a better constructed filter in it too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7050009.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	62025

Seems like Purolator knew what they were doing when they built the Best Rated Filter out there you can buy!.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok,JosŤ!

The Puro is 21mm in circumference. The Mobil is 21mm in circumference and the OEM (I assume - have not seen one since 2003) is 21mm in circumference. The Puro, on the other hand is 2.75 inches long while the Mobile is 2.25 inches long. What prevents the nifty wrench from fitting is the evap canister and not the motor. So it is of the long family.

Grrrr I hate it when you're right. I was not aware the Puro was a half inch longer. I was going by the list I have saved on filters which lists it as a "shorty" not a "longy." Set those filters on the bench side by side and pic it. Puro is half inch longer.

Now, this has guaranteed that I will never post in an oil thread again.
    KD8OVH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    Ok,JosŤ!

The Puro is 21mm in circumference. The Mobil is 21mm in circumference and the OEM (I assume - have not seen one since 2003) is 21mm in circumference. The Puro, on the other hand is 2.75 inches long while the Mobile is 2.25 inches long. What prevents the nifty wrench from fitting is the evap canister and not the motor. So it is of the long family.
    Grrrr I hate it when you're right.

I was not aware the Puro was a half inch longer.

I was going by the list I have saved on filters which lists it as a "shorty" not a "longy." Set those filters on the bench side by side and pic it. Puro is half inch longer.Now, this has guaranteed that I will never post in an oil thread again.

You obviously missed post #26.
    Current rides:
    73 Yamaha RD 350
    85 Yamaha RZ 350
    79 Yamaha Daytona 400
    82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
    08 Honda Goldwing Airbag-Full Monty Traxxion
    03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
    82 Yamaha YZ 250
    02 VTX 1800C
    06 Yamaha YZF-R1
    06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
    02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluestreakrem View Post
    You obviously missed post #26.
    Yup. I skipped it because I already did the oil change by the time this thread was created. My list delineates it by 3.5" and 2.5" and I didn't even know there was one that was just 3" long. Live and learn.
    KD8OVH

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dn View Post
    Does anyone have experience using this filter? Is it an acceptable substitute for the Honda filter? It can be purchased at Advanced Auto Parts.

Purolator PL14612
    This is the brand I use. Media refills are free at most restrooms .

http://www.frantzoil.com/TOILETPAPER.html

How I replace the filter media .

http://www.frantzoil.com/OilFilterConstruction.html

I use the half size on my Wing. See link below :

http://www.frantzoil.com/catalog/ite...17/8640527.htm

I wonder how many hundred times oil filter threads have been posted here with the same old content over and over. Hey where is Tim with his Amsoil or Tom with his Fram filter .

2012 Level III metalic blue Goldwing - 47K trouble free miles
    2009 metallic silver Goldwing - 43K trouble free miles

2005 VTX 1800N - 33K trouble free miles
    2005 VTX 1300R - 16K trouble free miles
    1975 GL1000 red with chrome fenders & Vetter Windjammer faring
    1941 Tank shift Harley Davidson painted light blue with house paint

Post Thanks / Like

Question....if I use the yellow Purolator Pure One and paint it blue will it damage my engine?
    Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 42,000 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
    Central CA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAWing View Post
    Question....if I use the yellow Purolator Pure One and paint it blue will it damage my engine?
    No, but it might make the engine run "hotter" and the pressure relief valve inside the filter will open prematurely

if you put a Blue painted filter on a Black Goldwing, it will gallop like a horse and if you put a Blue painted filter on a White Goldwing, it will require an extra 2 quarts of oil.

This is comical. I'm not a mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishlips View Post
    No, but it might make the engine run "hotter" and the pressure relief valve inside the filter will open prematurely

if you put a Blue painted filter on a Black Goldwing, it will gallop like a horse and if you put a Blue painted filter on a White Goldwing, it will require an extra 2 quarts of oil.

This is comical. I'm not a mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night
    I would venture to say that half the folks on this board don't have a clue as to what oil/filter is being used in their $30,000 or more auto., but when the subject of oil/filter being used in a GW comes up the subject will go on for weeks at a time. Comical....oh yes, definitely.
    Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 42,000 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
    Central CA.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I would venture to say that half the folks on this board don't have a clue as to what oil/filter is being used in their $30,000 or more auto., but when the subject of oil/filter being used in a GW comes up the subject will go on for weeks at a time. Comical....oh yes, definitely.

What's really funny is one of the so called experts who insists you only use a Honda OEM filter on your Goldwing, Posted that he uses a FRAM on his Toyota. (Is there not a word that comes to mind for a person like this?) I guess we got no deal with toyota..Go figure huh..LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I like oil/filter, spark plug and tire treads. I find them entertaining. Not one has ever changed what I use, but it's always fun to read people's reasoning for what they use.

BTW, I bought a OEM filter from my local dealer, with tax it cost me $15.

Burt
    The Older I Get, The Faster I Was.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the best way to tighten the PL14612 filter. I cant get my filter wrench on it...
    Thanks,
    Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Yes I have experience with the Pure One filter. I been using them on my 1500 & now for over 6 years on this current 1800.
    The L designates Purolators White regular filter.
    The P designates Purolators Yellow pure one filter.

Both will get the job done filtering particulates, Both are constructed better than the OEM filter is.

Purolator Pure OnePL14612 (Short)
    Purolator Pure OnePL14610 (Tall )
    Purolator L14612 (short)
    Purolator L14610 (Tall)

Here is a recent thread that proves there is no significant advantage in any of the filters that will fit the GL1800. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...r-PSI-Test-Res

Post Thanks / Like

No wrench required, use your hand to tighten....

If you need help in gripping the filter, then this is the only tool required...

Available at any Home Depot, Lowes, hardware stores.....

Quote Originally Posted by tracyt View Post
    What is the best way to tighten the PL14612 filter. I cant get my filter wrench on it...
    Thanks,
    Tracy
    Last edited by Larry Price; 09-01-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    Larry Price
    Edgewood, WA

I run Hybrid Tires....
    Front: Bridgestone Exedra G709 130/70R-18
    Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R-16

Post Thanks / Like

Default tighten filter

Quote Originally Posted by tracyt View Post
    Thanks,
    Tracy
    I use my fingers to tighten and a plastic/rubber strap wrench to loosen.
    Andy
    PS I hate to derail an oil thread, but what about the crush washer????
    Wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat.
    03-1800 ABS, modulted headlights, Back Off brake lights,fog lights on all the time, PIAA driving lights, Muth signal mirrors,loud aftermarket horns.
    Awaiting crash and burn fiery death caused by runflat rear car tire.

IBA 41956 DS446

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cserny View Post
    I use my fingers to tighten and a plastic/rubber strap wrench to loosen.
    Andy
    PS I hate to derail an oil thread, but what about the crush washer????
    I got one of the new kryptonite amalgamated ported and polished crush washers.
    2012 Goldwing
    2001 Yamaha FZ1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.