How to install hyperlite brake lights on a 2012 Goldwing
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to install hyperlite brake lights on a 2012 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to install hyperlite brake lights on a 2012 Goldwing

I have seen other posts on strobe lights being installed on the Goldwing, and some reference hyperlites. However, I haven't seen a post on how they were installed on the Goldwing. My Goldwing is a 2012 Level 1 model. Here are the steps I took to do the install, followed by pictures of the install.

Steps:

1. Determine where you want to put the hyperlites. The brake lights come as a pair, and stick on the Goldwing with adhesive tape. You can also buy a bracket that goes on the license plate and it puts the lights on either side of the license plate. I have a bracket, but decided to install the lights just under the trunk; one light on each side of the trunk/saddlebag levers. In this position, the hyperlite wiring needs to be connected to brake wires inside the lower panel of the trunk.

2. Remove the left lower trunk tupperware. The left side lower panel comes off by removing the screws on the inside of the trunk. Then, gently pull the top of the cover back to disengage the grommets and slide the whole panel to the rear of the bike. Remove the right lower side panel. Removes in the same way. Remove the center lower trunk tupperware. Four screws hold this piece in. Once the screws are out, the lower panel slips to the back and off.

3. Find the location of the brake wiring to tie into. For me, I opened the outer covering of the wires toward the right side of the trunk. You need to know which wire is the ground (green), normal switched power (Brown/White), and brake light power (green/red). The hyperlites install with Posi-tap connectors, so no stripping of insulation, splicing, or soldering is necessary.

4. Install the hyperlite modulator. The modulator is a small rectangular component with five wires . The three wires that connect to the motorcycle as follows: (1) Modulator red to the brake light power (green/red); (2) Modulator gray to switched power (brown/white); and (3) Modulator black to ground (green). Note that there is a green wire that is looped on the modulator. Left alone, the modulator will continually flash the hyperlites. If you cut the wire, the hyperlites will flash for 5 seconds and then go solid red. I chose the second option. Note the picture showing the posh-tap connectors.

5. Attach hyperlites to bottom of center trunk panel. I placed the lights on the bottom of the trunk panel. If you choose a different location, you will need to route your wiring differently, but the connection is the same.

6. Route wiring from hyperlites through the center panel and connect to modulator with posi-tap connectors: All blue wires together and all brown wires together. I did not shorten the wiring because if you need to remove that center panel in the future, you need to allow slack to reach the connectors to disconnect. In the future, I will put quick disconnect plugs in to make it easy to remove.

7. Dress up the wiring and reinstall the trunk panels. I used zip ties to help hold wires in place.

Here is a video of the lights in action:

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how to get cover off

Quote Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
    I have seen other posts on strobe lights being installed on the Goldwing, and some reference hyperlites. However, I haven't seen a post on how they were installed on the Goldwing. My Goldwing is a 2012 Level 1 model. Here are the steps I took to do the install, followed by pictures of the install.

Steps:

1. Determine where you want to put the hyperlites. The brake lights come as a pair, and stick on the Goldwing with adhesive tape. You can also buy a bracket that goes on the license plate and it puts the lights on either side of the license plate. I have a bracket, but decided to install the lights just under the trunk; one light on each side of the trunk/saddlebag levers. In this position, the hyperlite wiring needs to be connected to brake wires inside the lower panel of the trunk.

2. Remove the left lower trunk tupperware. The left side lower panel comes off by removing the screws on the inside of the trunk. Then, gently pull the top of the cover back to disengage the grommets and slide the whole panel to the rear of the bike. Remove the right lower side panel. Removes in the same way. Remove the center lower trunk tupperware. Four screws hold this piece in. Once the screws are out, the lower panel slips to the back and off.

3. Find the location of the brake wiring to tie into. For me, I opened the outer covering of the wires toward the right side of the trunk. You need to know which wire is the ground (green), normal switched power (Brown/White), and brake light power (green/red). The hyperlites install with Posi-tap connectors, so no stripping of insulation, splicing, or soldering is necessary.

4. Install the hyperlite modulator. The modulator is a small rectangular component with five wires . The three wires that connect to the motorcycle as follows: (1) Modulator red to the brake light power (green/red); (2) Modulator gray to switched power (brown/white); and (3) Modulator black to ground (green). Note that there is a green wire that is looped on the modulator. Left alone, the modulator will continually flash the hyperlites. If you cut the wire, the hyperlites will flash for 5 seconds and then go solid red. I chose the second option. Note the picture showing the posh-tap connectors.

5. Attach hyperlites to bottom of center trunk panel. I placed the lights on the bottom of the trunk panel. If you choose a different location, you will need to route your wiring differently, but the connection is the same.

6. Route wiring from hyperlites through the center panel and connect to modulator with posi-tap connectors: All blue wires together and all brown wires together. I did not shorten the wiring because if you need to remove that center panel in the future, you need to allow slack to reach the connectors to disconnect. In the future, I will put quick disconnect plugs in to make it easy to remove.

7. Dress up the wiring and reinstall the trunk panels. I used zip ties to help hold wires in place.

Here is a video of the lights in action:

How many grommets are there on the side of the cover ? trying to get my cover of to do this wireing , afraid of brakeing cover ,dose not want to come off,

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond. I must have missed the notification email and it has been a while since I have been on the forum. I hope this is not too late. I don't recall how many grommets, but they are on the top of the cover, and it may be that one grommet is at the rear of the bike and other grommets are at the side. I have attached a picture with the left side cover off. If I recall, I just pulled gently at the top edge of the cover all around, starting at the back end of the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HL1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	155209  

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
    I'm sorry it took me so long to respond. I must have missed the notification email and it has been a while since I have been on the forum. I hope this is not too late. I don't recall how many grommets, but they are on the top of the cover, and it may be that one grommet is at the rear of the bike and other grommets are at the side. I have attached a picture with the left side cover off. If I recall, I just pulled gently at the top edge of the cover all around, starting at the back end of the bike.
    Thank , I got It off the other day , I have a 2012 and I only have one grommet on the rear and 3 screws on the inside ,I found that you just pull it out a little on the sides,pop the back grommet out and pull to the rear and it comes right off ,thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it off. I like having the extra flashing break lights in the back. Next, I'm going to check out replacing the stock bulbs with LEDs.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.