Tracking method
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tracking method

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tracking method

In light of recent occurances how many use a tracking device when they ride alone. I have been using the free app Life360 to track my movements along with my kids. I can see where they are and they can see where I am. May not be as accurate as some of the dedicated units but seems to work pretty good, and at the right price.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Glympse (an android phone app) works for me. Sends my wife an ongoing track she can pull up on the home computer. WARNING: this app also transmits your current speed. She can slap me long distance. I get MANY texts. "SLOW THAT THING DOWN!"

Nope.
    Steve and Mel... over 25 great years together, 39 in all.

1800 states and provinces................. 1500 states
    Darksider #433
    Michelin Alpin

(3)Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 205/60/16
    Finished off at 41.5k, 40k, 39k
    Battleax BT45's (over a dozen and counting)
    Started really ignorant, getting smarter for over sixty years... long way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Aprs

There are times when my "track" will appear on aprs.fi - it works OK, but I do not always use it... just every so often. Click on the tracked vehicle/person's icon and the speed and altitude will be displayed.
    "Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis"

Post Thanks / Like

I run a SPOT, works great.
    James

01 Illusion Red GL1800 Race Tech
    2003 Hannigan Europa

Dunlop 175/60/16 Wintersport
    ATGATT Because walking away in disgust is better than riding away in an ambulance!
    www.grahampage.info

Post Thanks / Like

It's not "satellite", but you can also just turn on "Latitude History" in Google MAPS...

It's free and tracks you 24x7

I have a record of everyplace I've been for the past three years.

Dennis
    ..the bike that turns any twisty road into a theme park..

Life
    what a ride. DS #99. Prowler #00.
    What's better than chrome?
    Chromecast!

​"In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
    The needs of the many outweigh the fears of the few.
    All truth is at first ridiculed, then opposed, and finally self-evident.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wing-renter View Post
    I wonder who else can see where you're at? Government? How private are these things?
    I don't use tracking devices; however, I wouldn't care who was looking at me if I did. I'm not paranoid and have nothing to hide.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right.
    ~ Robert Hunter

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and have used an app on the iPhone that worked OK. The worst part is you have to manually transmit ever so often. It was OK but not perfect.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a "SPOT" that I use sometimes so my wife has the peace of mind to know I am not in the ditch somewhere
    Never be afraid to ride past the last stop light at the edge of town

07 Newport Blue Metallic Navi
    LIMNCS #73eh
    ITAJOB #3
    IBA 54324 Premier Member

The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?

R.I P. Bev, you will be sorely missed.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default All Depends,

If I were traveling with a small plane or boat the need for a fast rescue might be high. As for a car or motorcycle I think Spot or other aps on your cell phone is good enough for me. I have read that many back packers are using Spot. Another way is to call when you arrive safely. I don't show up to place at a given time send out the cavalry, but they still have to figure where I am and thatís the big problem. Also this takes out the last minute changes of routes that I like to do. Kind of like the missing biker thread. I think I will use Spot when I go to Rockies Gold this year from Ca. because I like to travel alone and my wife can see where I am and that I am safe. Regards Eldon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SC-Wing View Post
    If I were traveling with a small plane or boat the need for a fast rescue might be high. As for a car or motorcycle I think Spot or other aps on your cell phone is good enough for me.
    I'm a pilot and live in an "air ranch" community.
    All my neighbors are pilots.

We are all required to carry in the plane and have inspected once per year an "emergency locator transmitter" (ELT).
    If you ask ANY of these pilots what their NUMBER ONE safety device in the airplane is, they will all say without hesitation..
    "my cell phone".

One of my neighbors just went down in the swamp last week.
    While still hanging upside down in the straps he pulled out his cell phone and dialed 911..
    within minutes they said "we've got your location".. and dispatch was on the way.
    The ELT would go off on impact and you MIGHT see help in (at best) a few hours or (worse) a few days.

Dennis

Life
    Chromecast!

Seasoned Member
    Morganville, New Jersey / Naples, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingwing View Post
    I'm a pilot and live in an "air ranch" community.
    All my neighbors are pilots.

We are all required to carry in the plane and have inspected once per year an "emergency locator transmitter" (ELT).
    If you ask ANY of these pilots what their NUMBER ONE safety device in the airplane is, they will all say without hesitation..
    "my cell phone".

One of my neighbors just went down in the swamp last week.
    While still hanging upside down in the straps he pulled out his cell phone and dialed 911..
    within minutes they said "we've got your location".. and dispatch was on the way.
    The ELT would go off on impact and you MIGHT see help in (at best) a few hours or (worse) a few days.

Dennis
    Dennis,

Great idea! I carry a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) when I travel. I'm sorry I didn't get to show it to you at the SMRI 4 this past June. I undestand about cell phones and I agree that the response is a lot quicker, but what happens in areas of the country where cell service isn't available? I know a bunch of areas where I/we've traveled that this is common. If you don't have a PLB or an ELT then you're SOL. Agree?

Post Thanks / Like

Agree..

And / but

And:
    The area where they can "see" your phone is larger than the area you can actually talk on it.
    ..for most of the U.S., a cell phone is enough.

But:
    If we ever take that ride to Alaska,
    I'd get a plb to bring along.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Stallion View Post
    Dennis,

Great idea! I carry a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) when I travel. I'm sorry I didn't get to show it to you at the SMRI 4 this past June. I undestand about cell phones and I agree that the response is a lot quicker, but what happens in areas of the country where cell service isn't available? I know a bunch of areas where I/we've traveled that this is common. If you don't have a PLB or an ELT then you're SOL. Agree?

Life
    Chromecast!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Your response time on an ELT depends on what ELT you have.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Google Laitude app on my iPhone and my friends/family can track my travels on Google (if I invite them as a friend).

It does depend on a cellular signal; however, it has worked well on my last four trips.
    D J
    '06 VTX 1300S
    '85 Goldwing GL1200
    '95 Goldwing GL1500
    '78 Goldwing GL1000

Visit me at: http://www.dennisjoyner.net

storm

Quote Originally Posted by bkdraft View Post
    I run a SPOT, works great.
    Yep the SpotII does work well and uses ony GPS sattilites not cell towers so coverage is virtually 100%. Google tracks is a free app but you need cell coverage for that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering this one. Does anyone know anything about it...pro or con?

http://www.pocketfinder.com/gps-locator/gps-vehicle-tracker/

"In motorcycling, the journey is the destination."
    TrikeDaddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doctoss View Post
    In light of recent occurrences how many use a tracking device when they ride alone. I have been using the free app Life360 to track my movements along with my kids. I can see where they are and they can see where I am. May not be as accurate as some of the dedicated units but seems to work pretty good, and at the right price.
    I have over 123,000 miles on my 01 and a lot of those miles were put on, solo. For a few years, I used my Blackberry for location services, then an Iphone for a while. The various programs worked MOST of the time, but sometimes in the deep south and far west, I would go days without any cellphone service, so no location services. I am located in Canada and sometimes cellphone service in the states is still spotty for me.

A few years ago now, I bought a Spot Messenger 2 and have been using it (without fail) for my loved ones to keep an eye on me. The cost is not too much and everyone that cares where I am, are happy too. I use SpotWalla for tracking my trips and my family loves following me on it.

I recently had a replacement unit sent to me (fluke failure of original unit), free, as I have the $14.00/yr replacement insurance too.

The Spot Tracking Service is a good deal for me. I'm quite happy to recommend its use to anyone.

Rick (Ol'Cruiser) Crawford
    Anti Chromer # 92, Darksider # 1021

See you out there....

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by wing-renter View Post
    I wonder who else can see where you're at? Government? How private are these things?
    The APRS maps and info can be viewed by anybody with access to the Internet... never intended to be private. I use mine for fun and occasionally when working with some of the bike rides/races in the area. The station at the start/finish line can track those of us who use APRS, making it easier to contact particular stations for specific tasks.
    "Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis"

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the SPOT II device and Spotwalla. It works well and gives anyone that cares about me some peace of mind. Plus it's a great record of all my trips.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to use Glympse on my Verison Droid Razr during a trip out west. BearTooth Pass and other places throughout Montana and Wyoming its worthless because theres no signal.
    2010 Goldwing 1970 383cu 4-speed Cuda 2012 Harley FatBoy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."Holy Cow!! What a ride!!"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.