What's it worth - Honda VTX 1300
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's it worth - Honda VTX 1300

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's it worth - Honda VTX 1300

I've been "storing" the daughter's boyfriend's 2002 (or maybe it's 2003) VTX1300 for the past 3 years. Before that, it sat for a couple years in underground storage. I had it running 3 years ago but since then, not.

Uncovered it yesterday and found that the gas tank was quite rusty inside, carb is all gummed up as well as the petcock.

It's got rust on the spoke wheels and the buddy seat mounting bolts aren't original (somebody has been messing with this bike).

There's a few scratches in the paint on the rear fender. There's also a fair amount of oxidization on the tops of the cylinders and other smaller aluminum components that are under the gas tank.

It ran fine when I had it running. I'd changed the oil and spark plugs, put a new battery in it, fresh gas, and it fired right up and seemed to run fine driving it around the neighborhood ... (that was 3 years ago).

Anyhoo ... I figgure it needs a fair amount of TLC to get it back into roadworthy condition.

So, my question is, what do ya'll think it's worth as it sits? I'm contemplating buying it from him and fixing it up but I don't want to invest more than I can get back out of it.
    "every time you bend your principles - whether because you don't want to worry about it, or because you're afraid to stand up for fear of what you might lose - you sell your soul to the devil"
    DS#1241
    Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a super clean 2005 ( like it was just off the showroom) Very low mileage, Lot of upgrades. Sold it 2 years ago for $4500.00. I would start low around
    1k and work your way up. It is only worth what you will give him. You can do a lot with that bike. Very easy to work on and It is hard to hurt it. Check out the VTX Forum. Good forum and you will learn alot. Kinda like this one. Good Luck
    Plan ahead:
    It was not raining when Noah built the ark.

2008 Metallic Red Goldwing
    Kumho ECSTA RF 195/55/16,Bridgestone Front Tire,Kury grips powered coated black and Touring pegs and Turn down exhaust,Complete Progressive Mono Tube suspension upgrade. Alballs steering head bearings, Ultimate seat,HonUSBv3

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a motorcycle, we always invest more then we can ever get out of them.lol I know I didn't help with your question, but if I was buying something like that with the idea of flipping it to make money, you wouldn't want to pay very much for it. Polishing aluminum is easy if you can reach it, but if there are parts that can be reached it will look funny with it partly polished and partly not. The same thing with the rust, if you use chrome polish on it, does it restore to a polished chrome look, or does the chrome now have black colored pitted areas where the rust was removed? The the major factor in how much you pay would be whether or not you like the boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrT View Post
    I've been "storing" the daughter's boyfriend's 2002 (or maybe it's 2003) VTX1300 for the past 3 years. Before that, it sat for a couple years in underground storage. I had it running 3 years ago but since then, not.

Uncovered it yesterday and found that the gas tank was quite rusty inside, carb is all gummed up as well as the petcock.

It's got rust on the spoke wheels and the buddy seat mounting bolts aren't original (somebody has been messing with this bike).

There's a few scratches in the paint on the rear fender. There's also a fair amount of oxidization on the tops of the cylinders and other smaller aluminum components that are under the gas tank.

It ran fine when I had it running. I'd changed the oil and spark plugs, put a new battery in it, fresh gas, and it fired right up and seemed to run fine driving it around the neighborhood ... (that was 3 years ago).

Anyhoo ... I figgure it needs a fair amount of TLC to get it back into roadworthy condition.

So, my question is, what do ya'll think it's worth as it sits? I'm contemplating buying it from him and fixing it up but I don't want to invest more than I can get back out of it.
    Play it as it lies, if you can't, do what's fair.
    Red 2003 GL 1800A
    2005 BMW R1200GS
    2003 Yamaha TW 200
    2007 Piaggio Evolution 500 scooter
    Darksider #98 Dunlop Sport 5000 195/60/16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gdishman View Post
    I had a super clean 2005 ( like it was just off the showroom) Very low mileage, Lot of upgrades. Sold it 2 years ago for $4500.00. I would start low around
    1k and work your way up. It is only worth what you will give him. You can do a lot with that bike. Very easy to work on and It is hard to hurt it. Check out the VTX Forum. Good forum and you will learn alot. Kinda like this one. Good Luck
    I was contemplating offering him $2000 but no more. I just didn't want to insult him if that amount was out of line.

I've wrenched on bikes and vehicles most of my life so working on this scoot would be a nice winter project. Not totally sure if I'd flip it or not. Might even consider doing some "customizing" for my own solo riding.

Do you have a link for that VTX forum?
    "every time you bend your principles - whether because you don't want to worry about it, or because you're afraid to stand up for fear of what you might lose - you sell your soul to the devil"
    DS#1241
    Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose.

Post Thanks / Like

I would maybe offer him a grand for it and then enjoy restoring it. I've had 2 VTX1300's and also an 1800VTX. The 1300 is super easy to work on and really a new battery, tires, oil and filter and final drive fluid change, and a carb rebuild would fix it right up. The tanks insides will probably be easy to clean up too. Cosmetics may take time but will be an easy task.

Bear in mind though that the VTX1300 of that vintage, even in rideable shape is worth very little, maybe $3 to $3,500 dollars. They didn't hold their value at all and new 'OLD STOCK' ones could be had for 6 to $7,000 in the states.

Sam
    Read John 3:16
    KF6GUW Extra

2012 BLUE Honda Goldwing
    2010 Honda NT 700
    2013 Kymco Xcting 500RI ABS Scooter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Carson View Post
    As for that rusty tank, I have been known to take them off, throw a big handful of gravel out of the drive into them, wrap them in a blanket and tie it well and put it in the cloths dryer.........let it tumble around for an hour then wash it out real good and let dry.......
    I've heard of this but wouldn't that beat the h3LL out of the dryer?
    DS#1241

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of this but wouldn't that beat the h3LL out of the dryer?
    Not to mention what it might do to the outside of the tank

Doug M.
    2007 Metallic Black GL1800
    2004 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS

Apparently, I don't ride too slow or too fast. Most folks tell me I'm the most 'half-fast' rider they've ever seen.

Post Thanks / Like

I would offer no more than $1K. He will be lucky to find anyone that is willing to pay him more than that. Most people won't touch a bike that has been sitting for 3 or more years.

JMHO

Be sure to wave back!

Post Thanks / Like

I was contemplating offering him $2000 but no more. I just didn't want to insult him if that amount was out of line.

I've wrenched on bikes and vehicles most of my life so working on this scoot would be a nice winter project. Not totally sure if I'd flip it or not. Might even consider doing some "customizing" for my own solo riding.

http://www.vtxoa.com
    2001 GL1800
    2003 VTX 1800c
    1976 KZ 900
    1970 H1 500
    1968 American Eagle 175
    1966 Honda Trail 90
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2202&pictureid=15233

Post Thanks / Like

I loved my 1300 vtx. Unfortunately it sounds like maybe it has seen better days and needs some real TLC. The market value will not be that great and if it was mine, I'd look around the neighborhood and find a good kid, maybe one that works at the local 7-11 or local gas station and let them have it. When I was growing up in a poor family and if someone offered me it I would thought I'd died and went to heaven.

Just a thought...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    "When your head get's bigger than your heart your in trouble" - Carlos Santana

2012 Candy Red Navi
    GWRRA Member

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What about the gas fumes and the ignition source...Boy I don't know..Just sounds like a bad idea to me..

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using steel wool grade 0000 on chrome for years. It really can bring chrome back to looking halfway decent. It does a fantastic job, does not damage it if you go easy and is real fast. Give it a try (I clean my wing's pipes with it all the time).

Here is a video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFlg6CatB6E
    "When your head get's bigger than your heart your in trouble" - Carlos Santana

2012 Candy Red Navi
    GWRRA Member

storm

Great way to make money - here is one I got for free last year. Fixed and repainted then sold for $1300
    http://www.kokes.org/MyMotorcycles/seca

I just did a 1981 CB650 which I paid $300 for then fixed polished and repainted - sold for $1575

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6372.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	64979

Yesterday I picked up 2 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD's for free - Plan on selling them for $1600-1800 each.

I also picked up a nice 34 foot Fleetwood Motorhome for $1000 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-11 13.17.47.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	64980 It's for sale $7500

If your willing to get down and dirty there is money to be made

Post Thanks / Like

2,000 and free storage for 3 years is a fair price I would think. Had an '07 VTX 1300 nice bike just the backseat and the wife's backseat weren't compatible. My '09 Wing solved that problem.

GWRRA #307515

'75 CB 360
    '78 400 Hawk
    '86 700 Magna
    '07 VTX 1300R
    '09 Silver ABS
    '09 Escapade

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

After sitting for 3 years, I wouldn't be so concerned about the outside rust as I would the inside rust. Cylinder walls.

Maybe pull the plugs, some oil on the cylinder walls before you turn it over.
    2007 Comfort/Nav/ABS

Prior:
    1993 ST1100
    1983 CX650

I'll go totally green and give up my GoldWing when Al Gore gives up his charter jet.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember that a lot of chrome on this bike is plastic. Be careful using chrome cleaner.
    The engine can be painted. Most people paint it black.
    Plan ahead:
    It was not raining when Noah built the ark.

2008 Metallic Red Goldwing
    Kumho ECSTA RF 195/55/16,Bridgestone Front Tire,Kury grips powered coated black and Touring pegs and Turn down exhaust,Complete Progressive Mono Tube suspension upgrade. Alballs steering head bearings, Ultimate seat,HonUSBv3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jschiner View Post
    I have been using steel wool grade 0000 on chrome for years. It really can bring chrome back to looking halfway decent. It does a fantastic job, does not damage it if you go easy and is real fast. Give it a try (I clean my wing's pipes with it all the time).

Here is a video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFlg6CatB6E
    Thanks for the tips guys ... I'm no stranger to fixing, cleaning, refurbishing vehicles. I was a mechanic once, owned/operated a body shop, did custom painting, operated a used vehicle detail shop, you name it, I probably done it including the OOOO steel wool with some good chrome cleaner.

I'm not so concerned on what or how to bring this scoot back to life as I am it's value as it sits.

That said, the info provided so far has given me what I needed to know.

Thanks ya'll!
    DS#1241

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.