Heel / toe shifter
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heel / toe shifter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heel / toe shifter

I'm having trouble getting my foot under the shifter. I have the iso-wings. Should I just add
    add the heel /toe shifter or get the kit with the boards?
    RANDY

2003 Goldwing/2010 Motortrike Adventure

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have wings, but I do have Kuryakyn boards and heel and toe shifter and I love it. Took a little to get used to, but I would never go back.
    Mike

PGR # 175344
    08 GL1800 Pearl White ABS Hannigan
    02 Lowrider - K&N, V&H, Mustang, Headwinds, bling
    06 Heritage - SE Stage 1, V&H 2:1, PCV, Dyno'd
    07 Mustang GT California Special Convertible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rrscott View Post
    I'm having trouble getting my foot under the shifter. I have the iso-wings. Should I just add
    add the heel /toe shifter or get the kit with the boards?
    I had the Kuryakyn boards and heal toe shifter on my Wing when I triked it. I have bad knees and hip and the boards raised my foot up putting even more of a bend in my knees. It was not very long after triking it I took them off. I liked the wing better in stock form. The wing does not give you much room to move feet around. With the engine being so wide when I put my feet on Hyw pegs it makes my hip hurt. I removed the stock foot rest and ran without them that helped a lot but I like having my feet near the controls when riding in heavy traffic. So put them back on. I am going to make some changes this winter to see if I can improve the feel of the wing. If anyone has a set of stock foot rest I would like to have them to modify. I want to get my feet even lower and still keep them close to the foot controls.

Added: I had more missed shifts with the heal toe and didn't realize it till I went back to toe shifter.
    Last edited by Grog; 08-27-2012 at 06:53 PM.

05 Goldwing Motor Trike, Second place Asian Full Custom Trike. Abate Bike Show Feb 17, 12
    I rode Moto Guzzi motorcycles for years, Am a friend of Bill W.
    All though life I've had to make choices and sometimes I make the right one.
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2392
    Jesus is the reason for the season.
    I now also have a 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

Post Thanks / Like

When I had my right hip replaced, found out that my left leg is shorter and have my left shoe build up. So it is thicker and I have a hard time getting under the shifter.
    RANDY

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Randy. I admire all you guys who've continued to ride with replacement knees, hips, etc. I've got a North Carolina friend, "Old Fred" on the board, who doesn't have a right leg, and then of course, there's "Wheels" and "rollingthunder". I know there are others and you're all my heros.

I'm an old Harley rider and got used to the heel-toe-shifter. Once we purchased our Wing in '08, the first thing we did was add the H-T shifter. Hope you find a solution to your issue.

Ride safe,

Wayne
    Wayne Sawyer
    Nashville Road Kill Ride-In Co-Host
    Blue Knights TN V (Past-President)
    U.S.A.F. 1967-1971
    '08 GL Hannigan

If you died today, would you go to Heaven? Would you like to know?
    Romans 3:10, 3:23, 5:12, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13, 10:9-10, 1 John 5:13

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wayne! I been thinking do I want to add it to my Iso-wings (mini boards) or go with the full board kit.
    I will add the rear heel extension.
    RANDY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rrscott View Post
    Thanks Wayne! I been thinking do I want to add it to my Iso-wings (mini boards) or go with the full board kit.
    I will add the rear heel extension.
    When you say, "rear heel extension," I believe you mean to widen the heal toe shifter so that your boot will fit between the shift points on the heal/toe shifter. That was another problem I had with them they or to close together and why would they build them that way. It meant that I could not set with my foot flat on the boards. I had to turn my left foot out to fit between the shifting points. I don't miss the heal/toe shifter. I still have lots of problems with pain while riding. I had hoped that Triking would fix this but it did not. So reason I want to change the lay out of the foot supports on the Wing, they are still to high and to far back.

05 Goldwing Motor Trike, Second place Asian Full Custom Trike. Abate Bike Show Feb 17, 12
    I rode Moto Guzzi motorcycles for years, Am a friend of Bill W.
    All though life I've had to make choices and sometimes I make the right one.
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2392
    Jesus is the reason for the season.
    I now also have a 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

Post Thanks / Like

Grog, a friend has the board kit on his roadsmith trike. Every time I put it in first gear, then slide my foot back I would put it back in neutral.
    The extension moves it back 1 or 1 1/2 inches. I have been looking at that comfort control kit of Roadsmith, but at $700.00 I don't know. It
    moves them forward 3" and down 1".
    RANDY

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heel Toe Shifter on Trikes......

Sept 1, 2012

I just purchased a 2005 GL1800 Trike with Lehman kit. I am very happy with it. It only had 4,000 miles and looked like new with ALL the chrome goodies. I added the Kuryakan heel toe shifter and also had the stock foot pegs put back on. I don't want the floorboards, they would just get in the way. The stock footpeg is higher up then the floorboards and I am much happier with this setup.

Motogordo

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a 1953 or 4 belt drive Servicycle with a factory installed heel/toe shifter. It was OK (in that application) but I haven't had the desire or felt the need for one since.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the Kuryakyn boards on my 2012. They are a little further back than they were on my 2006 Wing. I've been considering the Roadsmith Comfort Controls that move the floorboards down 1" and forward 3".

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I have the Roadsmith Comfort Controls and they really do make an appreciable difference for your leg/foot position. Much more comfortable. With the Comfort Controls, you're in a more 'natural' sitting position. Al least that's how I describe it. Are they worth the expense? I guess that all matters on what price you put your comfort at regarding the stock foot position. To me, they're worth every penny!

Now as for the heel-toe shifter, that's another story. My hip has been giving me sharp pains every so often when I try to use my heel to shift. I had wanted to install the Pingel electric shifter but after talking to Pingel and Roadsmith, the Pingel shifter will not work with (they won't line up correctly) the Comfort Controls. So at this point, I'm considering removing the heel-toe shifter and the Kuryahun floor boards and just use the wing boards as foot rests. That will definitely enable me to get my foot under the shifter with the Comfort Controls and also give me another 1 to 2 inch drop. We'll see.
    Rich / Rock-N-Roll 4 Ever ~ Lost In The 50s
    -------
    2005 GL1800 / 2012 Roadsmith conversion / Metallic Portland Gray

Post Thanks / Like

Being new to the GW and my Motor Trike as is.
    I hate the fact that it had the stock Honda foot pegs.
    In a word they plain stink!!!
    They were off the bike day one.
    I then took my Cobra floor boards off my Valk.
    Modified the floor boards and the GW brackets to make them fit and readjusted the brake pedal down a bit.
    I now ride with no pegs or floor boards at all.
    Im using the foor boards of the MT trike kite as they are.
    I got the large Kury slip over brake pad cover and lowered the pedal more.
    So the right sides now perfect and comfy.
    With nothing but the MT floor board on the shifter side.
    1 down isnt an issue at all.
    Up shifting Im still looking down every now and then for the dang shift peg but.
    Im over all much more comfortable with nothing but the MT floor boards.
    2010 Honda GoldWing with Motor Trike kit
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar
    1999 Honda Valkyrie Sold

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heel / Toe shifter

I'm also old Harley rider and always had a heel toe shifter (16+ years). When I got my Wing this summer I didn't think I would like the regular shifter, but I got use to it real fast. And now I don't miss it. The heel toe shifter for the Wing doesn't give you alot of room for your feet. I don't think its worth the cost.

Contributing Member Spirit-of-98's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Heel/Toe shifters are one of those things you either love or hate. Many folks love them, I'm just not one of them. The 1st thing we did when my wife got her trike, was get rid of the heel/toe thingy and go back to stock. This was at her request and is one of the few things we have ever agreed on ( ). If the only problem you have is getting your toe under the stock shifter arm, remove the arm, rotate it up one serration notch, then put it back on. Wha-la, problem solved.
    Last edited by Spirit-of-98; 12-22-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Mom's - '87 GL1200 - TriKing
    Pop's - '95 GL1500 - 2012 MT Phoenix IRS
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"Going places that I've never been, seeing things that I may never see again, and I can't wait to get on the road again." (w. nelson)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    I had the Kuryakyn boards and heal toe shifter on my Wing when I triked it. I have bad knees and hip and the boards raised my foot up putting even more of a bend in my knees. It was not very long after triking it I took them off. I liked the wing better in stock form. The wing does not give you much room to move feet around. With the engine being so wide when I put my feet on Hyw pegs it makes my hip hurt. I removed the stock foot rest and ran without them that helped a lot but I like having my feet near the controls when riding in heavy traffic. So put them back on. I am going to make some changes this winter to see if I can improve the feel of the wing. If anyone has a set of stock foot rest I would like to have them to modify. I want to get my feet even lower and still keep them close to the foot controls.

Added: I had more missed shifts with the heal toe and didn't realize it till I went back to toe shifter.
    As you have alot more miles and experience with the Motor tike kit then I do.
    I was wondering if you had tried what so far has been my solution to the shifter issue.

What I ended up doing was remove the OEM pegs on both sides altogether.
    Im using the running boards as my floor boards.
    I also lowered the brake pedal and added a Kury large brake pedal pad.
    That took care of the right side perfectly for me.
    The left side is another issue.
    Since I cant change the height of the shifer peg.
    I do find at times I do have to glace down to find it for the intial downshift to 1st.
    Other then that its been working well for me to just use the MT floor boards as a foot base.

Do you see any negatives long term as to wear and tear on the MT floor boards???
    The foot pad is there for a reason and I cant believe its for any other real purpose as its otherwise covered by any pegs or floor boards otherwise installed.
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar
    1999 Honda Valkyrie Sold

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit-of-98 View Post
    Heel/Toe shifters are one of those things you either love or hate. Many folks love them, I'm just not one of them. The 1st thing we did when my wife got her trike, was get rid of the heel/toe thingy and go back to stock. This was at her request and is one of the few things we have ever agreed on ( ). If the only problem you have is getting your toe under the stock shifter arm, remove the arm, rotate it up one serration notch, then put it back on. Wha-la, problem solved.
    You cant adjust the shifter peg on an 1800 as you can with a 1500.
    I moved the peg on my Valk and assumed I could do the same on the Wing.
    Sadly its not as simple as that.

Just another of the otherwise idiotic design of Hondas Flagship model.
    Non adjustability of the handle bars foot pegs and seat choices.
    Honda for whatever reason sees the Wing as a one size must fit all model as it is.
    Giving me enough thought to sell it after all of a month and get something else.
    Last edited by JaysGone; 12-24-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar
    1999 Honda Valkyrie Sold

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.