GL1800Riders Forums banner

Darkside Installer in the Austin, TX Area

676 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Volcano Kyle 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm looking for a local shop that will install a DriveGuard tire on my spare Goldwing wheel. Please let me know if you know of a place that will do this in the greater Austin area.

I actually live in Georgetown, TX (just north of Austin) and I have been to every shop in town. No one wants to touch it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did a search on the forum and couldn't find anything so I thought I would ask.

Have a great day and thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Are you going to a motorcycle shop?

I just went to a local tire shop and asked if they'd mount it. $10 later I was on my way.

PS... I hear most Walmarts will do it as well for $5.

#3 ·
Shops I've Tried

Hello 2WheelNut,

Thanks for the reply. I've been to all of the (car) tire shops in Georgetown and all of the motorcycle shops too. I went to all the Mom and Pop shops, the motorcycle dealer in town and all the big tire chain stores that I could find. None of them would touch it.

I haven't tried Walmart yet but will try in the morning. I'm trying to get the Driveguard mounted on my spare wheel. My fear is that since my spare wheel has a motorcycle tire on it they are uncomfortable with the situation. I couldn't even get someone to break the bead for me so that I could try and remove the motorcycle tire on my own.

Hopefully Walmart comes through in the morning.

Thanks again for the reply.

#4 ·
Tell them you are building a custom trailer and want to use those rims. You already have one done but just now found a mate that happens to have a MC tire on it. What ever you do, never tell them the true application. If you do, then you put them in a spot they feel they could be liable.

Push comes to shove, cut that MC off the rim before taking it to the installer.

#6 ·
Discount Tire wouldn't sell me the Bridgestone Driveguard when I told them the true application (DFW Honda installs mine in the Dallas area). I ended up ordering online. For future reference I looked up the below info. It's just an idea, but you could tell them it's for a spare for one of the cars below. ???

List of cars with P 195/55 R16 tire size
Honda tire size. CR-Z (2011-2016)
Kia tire size. Rio (2012-2017) Rio5 (2012)
MINI tire size. Clubman (2016-2017) Convertible (2013-2017) Hardtop (2013-2017) ...
Nissan tire size. Versa (2007-2017) Cube (2009-2014) Sentra (2000-2006)
Toyota tire size. Corolla (2003-2008) Prius (2004-2009)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.