Installed a CB radio and antenna today
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installed a CB radio and antenna today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Installed a CB radio and antenna today

I installed a CB radio and antenna in my 2012 Wing this afternoon. The instructions are fairly straight forward and easy to follow. The biggest headache was gettting the seat bolts started. It took me almost as long to do that as it did to install everything.

After disconnecting the negative battery cable I was expecting to have to reset everything. The only thing I had to reset was the FM stations preset buttons. The clock and the XM must have memory because I didn't have to reset either one.
    Last edited by kikker; 11-13-2012 at 04:16 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Be prepared for issues with " cb error" etc. happens off and own on 2012's. I finally corrected it by wrapping cb with tin foil...
    Bob Weatherford
    Acworth, Ga

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmw700 View Post
    Be prepared for issues with " cb error" etc. happens off and own on 2012's. I finally corrected it by wrapping cb with tin foil...
    I corrected mine by moving the coax around until I found a spot that worked..That was after the swr was set ...problems I had were squeal in transmit mode,cb error message and tx message would stay on even when I was not transmitting..I think the squeal was back feed from another electrical unit on the bike or my cb coax .....i tried not to cross the coax over itself also...it works great now except the guys in my group say its to loud compared to the honda cb...mine is a bike mp3...I have tried to tone it down by programming as per pete at mp3 but it dident work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redsled View Post
    I corrected mine by moving the coax around until I found a spot that worked..That was after the swr was set ...problems I had were squeal in transmit mode,cb error message and tx message would stay on even when I was not transmitting..I think the squeal was back feed from another electrical unit on the bike or my cb coax .....i tried not to cross the coax over itself also...it works great now except the guys in my group say its to loud compared to the honda cb...mine is a bike mp3...I have tried to tone it down by programming as per pete at mp3 but it dident work
    I bought some magnets from radio shack for $3 to put on the coax to take care of the squeal.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cb install 2012 vs 2010

Gonna help a friend install cb and antenna tomorrow on his new 2012. I did my 2010 in April 2012. Any significant changes or tricks that will help make an easy task?

Thanks

Steve

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shaking my head!

I want to instal a CB on my 2012 and after reading all these issues am having second thoughts! What's going on with Honda. Their CB is expensive and it should work flawless. Foil wrap? Taking the seat off a 2012? I thought the 12 model just plugged in under the radio unit in the top case ? Drill two holes, instal the antenna and away you go?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kikker View Post
    IThe biggest headache was gettting the seat bolts started. It took me almost as long to do that as it did to install everything.
    This is the resolution from Wingstuff to avoid this aggrevation next time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seat bolts.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	76096

http://wingstuff.com/products/33306-...?from_search=1

and if you want to strap something on the passenger seat with bungees, use this combo. These get a better fit for the bungees and will also avoid that you will damages the handles.

Name:	Seat bolts + bungee holders.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	76097.
    http://wingstuff.com/products/33309-...?from_search=1
    Harry Nelissen
    Venray
    The Netherlands
    2013 GL1800 Airbag Graphite Black
    1976 GL1000 LTD European Spec
    1976 GL1000 LTD American Spec

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CB

Installed my HONDA CB in my 2012 a couple of weeks ago. No seat removal, no battery disconnect, etc. Darn easy install and works just fine. Just go with the flow?

Rich

The answer is always "NO" unless you ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2012 install

Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    I want to instal a CB on my 2012 and after reading all these issues am having second thoughts! What's going on with Honda. Their CB is expensive and it should work flawless. Foil wrap? Taking the seat off a 2012? I thought the 12 model just plugged in under the radio unit in the top case ? Drill two holes, instal the antenna and away you go?
    Newby is correct. Honda oem. I just run the antenna cable in the trunk over to the radio. Not like instructions said. Only three holes for antenna and they were marked on the inside of the trunk. Also did another for a guy with a 2007 with the gl2way. Not bad to install either just took a little more time. No problems with either unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    The CB is fine the problem is the bike radio the CB radiation was just not considered when the radio (basically a modified car unit) was designed, however the majority of bikes work just fine, 2001-2003 there were many issues with CB they are now resolved so for the 2012+ go ahead and install whichever CB you buy and in the unlikely event of issues they are at least well documented and fixable.
    Last edited by pedro66; 01-24-2013 at 08:42 AM.
    Pete

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake

Post Thanks / Like

Mine seems to be working fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I put OEM cb on my 12, and have Nolan Bluetooth helmets, after installation and upon keying the mic, I would cause a squeal into listeners ears. The fix was a $2 magnet from radio shack that clamps onto the helmet cable on helmet side at the bike plug in. Nolan had no idea how to fix it, I learned the fix on the forum.
    Nothing is perfect and with a little tweaking will work as needed.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please dont flame me....but

So........what use do you guys have for CB.....are you talking to each other or truckers......?
    My last use of a CB was in 1973 when the craze was to ride the freeways and converse with 18 wheelers.
    that has been 40 years....geeez......anything changed?

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Communication

I have used a CB for years now, between cars in club runs and bikes as well. Driving in groups, communicate! Driving by yourself, no need.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

okay CB guy's, curious iff you can help me out here...
    First this :

On a European 2012 model it is NOT possible to order one with a cb configuration, so **** happens they say...

Now i have ordered a small cb to install on my bike, its a venus lafayette model, verry thiny thing, with all the buttons on the mike, i have ordered this one because we don't have all the room we need ...

Cb is installed an directly connected to the battery, works fine UNTILL i fire up my engine !
    I hear a lot of noise and can't here the other person over the cb nomore, so what can i do to get rid of this noise ...
    Thx
    Stefan
    GL 1800 Black 2012
    Escapade trailer

Rune illusion blue 2005

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tooth View Post
    So........what use do you guys have for CB.....are you talking to each other or truckers......?
    My last use of a CB was in 1973 when the craze was to ride the freeways and converse with 18 wheelers.
    Citizens Band radio is not for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tooth View Post
    My CB has allowed me to take an detour and miss an accident or road construction that I otherwise would not have been able to miss.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a CB on all my motorcycles though out the years (Yamaha's, Motoguzzi's, BMW'S, Goldwings ect.. I think it makes the ride even better when traveling with Family or the couples we ride with most of the time just talking about the scenery or joking about the events on our ride. I know not everyone likes CB's and don't want to get in a dispute over goods or bad but it makes traveling with others easier and more pleasurable. I know Most are going to say (I ride alone and don't need one) and I agree when riding alone I don't use it very often but of the 34,000 miles I have put on this year probably two thirds are riding with Friends and we use the radio's a lot. That is my story and I'm sticking to it, no matter how a person rides or if they talk on the CB or not enjoy the ride and be safe. As far as the post goes it is a lot easier to install the radio on the 2012 than the previous years but either way it isn't that big of a deal. I did love the MP3 player that Pete sells for the 2001-2010 Goldwings and if you haven't looked into it you should.
    Last edited by cgroh360; 01-27-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wing67 View Post
    First this :

On a European 2012 model it is NOT possible to order one with a cb configuration, so **** happens they say...

Now i have ordered a small cb to install on my bike, its a venus lafayette model, verry thiny thing, with all the buttons on the mike, i have ordered this one because we don't have all the room we need ...

Cb is installed an directly connected to the battery, works fine UNTILL i fire up my engine !
    I hear a lot of noise and can't here the other person over the cb nomore, so what can i do to get rid of this noise ...
    Thx
    Stefan
    USA models dont come with a cb either, you have to add one either OEM or aftermarket. Sounds like you need a filter inline to fix the noise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wingmaster12 View Post
    USA models dont come with a cb either, you have to add one either OEM or aftermarket. Sounds like you need a filter inline to fix the noise.

Euro bikes don't have CB controls fitted
    Pete

William Blake

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by pedro66 View Post
    Euro bikes don't have CB controls fitted
    thats correct Pedro, thats why i installed a aftermarket one...

@ Wingmaster , you say "Sounds like you need a filter inline to fix the noise." what do you mean by that ??
    GL 1800 Black 2012
    Escapade trailer

Rune illusion blue 2005

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cgroh360 View Post
    I have used a CB on all my motorcycles though out the years (Yamaha's, Motoguzzi's, BMW'S, Goldwings ect.. I think it makes the ride even better when traveling with Family or the couples we ride with most of the time just talking about the scenery or joking about the events on our ride. I know not everyone likes CB's and don't want to get in a dispute over goods or bad but it makes traveling with others easier and more pleasurable. I know Most are going to say (I ride alone and don't need one) and I agree when riding alone I don't use it very often but of the 34,000 miles I have put on this year probably two thirds are riding with Friends and we use the radio's a lot. That is my story and I'm sticking to it, no matter how a person rides or if they talk on the CB or not enjoy the ride and be safe. As far as the post goes it is a lot easier to install the radio on the 2012 than the previous years but either way it isn't that big of a deal. I did love the MP3 player that Pete sells for the 2001-2010 Goldwings and if you haven't looked into it you should.
    "I know Most are going to say (I ride alone and don't need one) ..." I avoid riding in packs like the plague and do like the CB for a variety of reasons but primarily for safety and in case I need information from professional drivers and to share information.

Post Thanks / Like

thats correct Pedro, thats why i installed a aftermarket one...

@ Wingmaster , you say "Sounds like you need a filter inline to fix the noise." what do you mean by that ??
    but the pre 212 do have all the wiring you could change the radio to a US or Japan spec unit and the left handlebar control and use the GL2WAY or OEM units, your AM FM radio would be lost but you would have CB
    Pete

William Blake

Post Thanks / Like

First this :

Thx
    Stefan
    Did you try to install gound loop isolator, like available from Electrical Connection

http://www.electricalconnection.com/...filter-gli.htm

Otherwise contact Peter Derluyn of Peter Moto shop in Izegem in Belgium, he probably can solve it as electronics expert.

http://www.petersmotoshop.be/

So far the only solution which seems to work properly with an European Spec GL1800 is this one from Germany.

http://www.goldwingelectronic.de/GOL...FUNK/funk.html

Name:	a_Funkgruppe20202.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	76321
    Last edited by Dutch Harry; 01-27-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    Harry Nelissen
    Venray
    The Netherlands
    2013 GL1800 Airbag Graphite Black
    1976 GL1000 LTD European Spec
    1976 GL1000 LTD American Spec

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Hi Harry, i am going to contact peter, thx
    GL 1800 Black 2012
    Escapade trailer

Rune illusion blue 2005

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.