Example of Service Manual short comings
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Example of Service Manual short comings

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Example of Service Manual short comings

Hopefully, everyone uses the Maintenance Schedule as described in the Honda Service Manual and doing all the scheduled recommendations as listed. However, in some cases the maintenance schedule falls short. Below is an example of this. Anything that comes in for a 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24k, etc service always gets its brake, clutch lever and side stand lubed, as well as the battery connections cleaned. These are not listed but are an important part of servicing a GL1800.

Below is a picture as to why. That Wing had 78k on it and most likely the clutch lever, pivot bolt, brass bushing, and push rod were never lubed. As a result, its clutch lever, pivot bolt, and brass push-rod bushing was replaced. As an FYI, the levers are to be lubed with silicone grease, and side stand with lithium based grease (white lithium grease).

In green is the tip of the clutch push rod that has worn through the pivot bushing and worn into the clutch lever. In blue is a worn pivot bushing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2802.JPG 
Views:	362 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	72270

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

That's very good information. I made a note of that in my owner’s manual. Would a Teflon or Nylon bushing help in those applications?

Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by kikker; 11-19-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that does look dry. Thanks for pointing that stuff out.
    OC
    '07 Goldwing
    '94 Heritage Softail Classic
    Linda
    '05 Goldwing
    Orrin DS #1642
    Linda DS #1641

Post Thanks / Like

Common maintenance procedures that apply to any motorcycle or quad are covered in Honda's Common Maintenance Manual. Very few people have that manual sitting on the bench. I am on the road this week and can't quote a page number, but I am positive that it covers the cleaning and lubing at the lever pivot points. Model specific maintenance manuals usually cover unique maintenance procedures for specific models.
    Larry Price
    Edgewood, WA

I run Hybrid Tires....
    Front: Bridgestone Exedra G709 130/70R-18
    Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R-16

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to the PDF file for the manual

http://goldwingchrome.com/Manuals/GL...e%20Manual.pdf
    Darkside #1195
    Michelin Primacy PA3 Alpin 195/55-16
    2003 Illusion Blue GL1800
    Milton, Ontario Canada
    Bushtec Quantum GL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kampinguru View Post
    Here is a link to the PDF file for the manual

http://goldwingchrome.com/Manuals/GL...e%20Manual.pdf
    Awesome--thank you!
    -Howard

'06 Titanium ABS
    Purchased 10 Sep 12 w/16K.
    Michelin Alpin PA3 ZP Run Flat (Rear), Dunlop E3 (Front)
    Added (since purchase):Windbender Windshield, Utopia Backrest, Flash2Pass, SpeedoHealer, Brake Light Modulator, Tail/Trunk Light Conversion Harness, Kisan Headlight Modulator, Bushtech hitch, Progressive Monotubes, All Balls steering head bearings, Harbor Freight "Tag Along" Trailer, Signal Dynamics Heads up Voltage Monitor, Tire-SafeGuard TPMS, +misc "Farkles"!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Greg, the Honda Service Manual was not written for end users. Like all Helm manuals, they are written for OEM servicers. There are many basic items in all of these manuals that are left out. If your read the beginning of these manuals, it states that the procedures are intended for professional technicians.

If a professional tech needs to be told that the pivots need to be lubed, then there is something very wrong with his training.

FWIW, I remember reading somewhere in the factory manual where it shows lubrication points and the type of Honda grease to use for each point. It was not in the maintenance section.
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For this topic the common manual is OK, but be careful when you dig into it for a specific item, there's big differences in the model year break between 05 and 06 and the common manual will definitely have some things wrong because of the changes.
    GO UK Wildcats, C.A.T.S. Cats! Cats! Cats!
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
    Greg, the Honda Service Manual was not written for end users. Like all Helm manuals, they are written for OEM servicers. There are many basic items in all of these manuals that are left out. If your read the beginning of these manuals, it states that the procedures are intended for professional technicians.

If a professional tech needs to be told that the pivots need to be lubed, then there is something very wrong with his training.

FWIW, I remember reading somewhere in the factory manual where it shows lubrication points and the type of Honda grease to use for each point. It was not in the maintenance section.
    It's in the General information section under "Lubrication and Seal Points."

Silicone grease for all of these

Clutch lever pivot
    Clutch lever joint piece-to-push rod contacting area
    Clutch master piston-to-push rod contacting area
    Anti-dive plunger tip
    Front brake lever pivot
    Front brake lever-to-master piston contacting area
    Rear master cylinder push rod boot groove
    Rear master piston-to-push rod contacting area
    Secondary master cylinder push rod boot groove
    Secondary master piston-to-push rod contacting area
    Brake caliper pad pin stopper ring
    Brake caliper pin boot inside
    Last edited by techdude2000; 11-19-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    GO UK Wildcats, C.A.T.S. Cats! Cats! Cats!
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Techdude.

I agree with Greg from the standpoint that the levers need lube once in awhile. Minor things like this should be done by a shop whenever a bike is in for service. It is such a quick and easy job that it is a nice goodwill gesture.

But I never really bought into the every 4K routine. I think I have done mine once or twice in 70K miles, and they are fine. I don't know about most people, but I can feel when the levers need lubrication because they get sluggish and don't easily move back into the rest position.

To me, this is one of those items that I figure if they ever wear out, that will be a good excuse to buy a nice set of chrome levers.

Most people don't follow service manuals when doing regular maintenance. They use T-CLOC
    Last edited by LarryM; 11-20-2012 at 04:47 AM.
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.