cb radio squealing
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cb radio squealing

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cb radio squealing

I am wondering if anybody with a honda oem cb radio has any squealeng issues...I have the gl2way and am fed up with the issues...I have tried the tin foil which worked for a couple of months but is now back to the same old problems...I would like to hear from you guys if you have a honda cb unit (not a gl2way) before I buy a honda unit.. Thanks for your input

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

no problems.
    Proud owner of a 2012 Ultra Blue Level 4 from Schroaders Honda.

Post Thanks / Like

Default CB

I purchased and installed the Honda CB on my 2012. No problems. Has more range than I expected. Seemed like a lot of money but worth it on the road. hth

Post Thanks / Like

Mine works great, even dialed in the swr for optimum performance.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaGold View Post
    I purchased and installed the Honda CB on my 2012. No problems. Has more range than I expected. Seemed like a lot of money but worth it on the road. hth

bbc

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems you're about 2 1/2 hours from Pete's location.
    Maybe a call for an appointment and a nice Florida ride will cure your problem
    Phone 702-465-4066

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Honda cb on my 2013 and had one on my 2012. I wanted to get a GL2way for my 2013,
    but the reported squeal problems scared me away.
    Pete has stated that some Honda cb's have also had a squeal problem.

I know Pete has reportedly worked with every one with a problem and has stated he has a fix for the squeal problem
    in most cases. He seems to respond to every complaint and works to make customers happy.
    I would talk with Pete.

I probably will try a GL2way next time, but I have not had any problems with my oem cb.
    Ray N.

2013 Red ABS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redsled View Post
    I am wondering if anybody with a honda oem cb radio has any squealeng issues...I have the gl2way and am fed up with the issues...I have tried the tin foil which worked for a couple of months but is now back to the same old problems...I would like to hear from you guys if you have a honda cb unit (not a gl2way) before I buy a honda unit.. Thanks for your input

Its not the GL2WAY radio that squeals its most likely something simple on the bike/install allowing the bike radio to pick up the CB transmission and squeal, squealing is indicative of a high output transmission so while not desirable is an indication of a working CB, installing an OEM in the same situation will most likely produce the same results come to the shop we will resolve it for you, we can also add the amplifier you wanted for louder output.
    Last edited by pedro66; 02-21-2013 at 07:43 AM.
    Pete

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem with mine, Pete and Mike worked on it and it has been working great ever since. It is worth the trip to go and see them.
    Florida Prowler #82

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cb squeal

Have you tried aluminum tape? Easier to roll it on so it sticks. Can be bought at lowes or home depot. I have the honda cb. Had an opportunity to buy other brands but chose it. Install easy and zero problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Having worked in the RF communications industry for 30 years as a design engineer the CB antenna system on the Goldwing is very poor at best. Honda uses a "counterpoise" antenna, the problem with this type of antenna is it requires a good ground plane and the Goldwing doesn't offer a good ground plane. On a counterpoise antenna the ground plane needs to be "under" the antenna, there lies the problem, so a compromise is reached, poor rf propagation and this can cause problems like you have described, it is called RFI (radio frequency interference). One solution to this problem is to go with a non-ground plane antenna design, however, this creates another problem, what to do with all that coax line because on a NGP antenna the coax is matched to the antenna and can not be shortened. The other solution is to make sure everything that is associated with the radio shares a common ground point, this helps prevent ground loops.

Vietnam Veteran 68-70 (9th Infantry Division)
    Member of MOPH (Military Order of the Purple Heart)
    GWTA Oregon Chapter A

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
    Having worked in the RF communications industry for 30 years as a design engineer the CB antenna system on the Goldwing is very poor at best. Honda uses a "counterpoise" antenna, the problem with this type of antenna is it requires a good ground plane and the Goldwing doesn't offer a good ground plane. On a counterpoise antenna the ground plane needs to be "under" the antenna, there lies the problem, so a compromise is reached, poor rf propagation and this can cause problems like you have described, it is called RFI (radio frequency interference). One solution to this problem is to go with a non-ground plane antenna design, however, this creates another problem, what to do with all that coax line because on a NGP antenna the coax is matched to the antenna and can not be shortened. The other solution is to make sure everything that is associated with the radio shares a common ground point, this helps prevent ground loops.

This little mod has increased the range within the realm of reality of a CB set. I have a base unit at home that I test with. The audio is much better from known points per my navigator (Wife) . We know we can't add radials and the only ground plane we have on the rear of the Wing is the sub-frame & swing arm. Of coarse one can't expect adding miles of range but every bit of gain is worth it for group riding. I think the most gain is forward and to the right of the bike.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3109

2012 Level III metalic blue Goldwing - 42K trouble free miles
    2009 metallic silver Goldwing - 43K trouble free miles

2005 VTX 1800N - 33K trouble free miles
    2005 VTX 1300R - 16K trouble free miles
    1975 GL1000 red with chrome fenders & Vetter Windjammer faring
    1941 Tank shift Harley Davidson painted light blue with house paint

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

It is a short ride up the turnpike to Yeehaw Junction then west across 60 and a right on 17 for a short ride to Pete's place at the airport. I had a minor volume issue with the volume being low. He and his humble assistant Mike had my unit fixed up in less than 15 minutes. I don't have any foil wrapping on my 2012 CB and no squeal or noise except what is normal noise on the band. I think Pete or Mike can do a filter fix in a few minutes . Don't give up on Pete's unit as each bike has its items that can radiate unwanted noise.

2012 Level III metalic blue Goldwing - 42K trouble free miles
    2009 metallic silver Goldwing - 43K trouble free miles

2005 VTX 1800N - 33K trouble free miles
    2005 VTX 1300R - 16K trouble free miles
    1975 GL1000 red with chrome fenders & Vetter Windjammer faring
    1941 Tank shift Harley Davidson painted light blue with house paint

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tfdeputydawg View Post
    Seems you're about 2 1/2 hours from Pete's location.
    Maybe a call for an appointment and a nice Florida ride will cure your problem
    Phone 702-465-4066
    thanks for the response from the guys that own honda radios ..I have not talked to anybody that said they have the problems that i have with the gl2way...I will give it another chance by wrapping it with aluminum tape...I am planning on going to bike week in daytona and the fla district gathering in kissimmee (right in petes bsck yard)

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the response from the guys that own honda radios ..I have not talked to anybody that said they have the problems that i have with the gl2way...I will give it another chance by wrapping it with aluminum tape...I am planning on going to bike week in daytona and the fla district gathering in kissimmee (right in petes bsck yard)

Redsled, exactly what problems are you having, when I first got my GL2Way it squealed so bad it hurt even without the helment on, it took Pete and I about three hours on the phone and still could not isolate it..try hooking your helment in the passengers headset outlet and see if it squeals in that connection, if not then you may have and unfiltered front connection, also if you have ANY aftermarket items (electrical) on the bike unhook them all and see if the squealing stops, if it does then start replacing the items one at a time until it starts back up, then you have your culprit, I will tell you nine times out of 10 it is a darn ground or loose connection somewhere that allow the RF signal to bleed..
    HIS: 2005 Dark Metallic Grey 1800/A
    SONS: 2010 CBR600RR LayLa Edition

"You do not get too old to ride, you get old because you don't"
    Riding a great Motorcycle with a MOTORCYCLE TIRE
    All things are possible, just ask!
    Another Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    Redsled, exactly what problems are you having, when I first got my GL2Way it squealed so bad it hurt even without the helment on, it took Pete and I about three hours on the phone and still could not isolate it..try hooking your helment in the passengers headset outlet and see if it squeals in that connection, if not then you may have and unfiltered front connection, also if you have ANY aftermarket items (electrical) on the bike unhook them all and see if the squealing stops, if it does then start replacing the items one at a time until it starts back up, then you have your culprit, I will tell you nine times out of 10 it is a darn ground or loose connection somewhere that allow the RF signal to bleed..
    I have done that...thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try it with someone elses helment, impeadance of the mic varies and this can cause problems, would still like to know what exactly yours is doing??

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
    Thanks for that info...I have 2012 LEVEL4 california side car trike with an attenna from sierra with a splitter for the cb/fm radio ...a number 10 ground wire from the antenna base to the frame..swr 1.2 output 4.0 watts..gl2way black ground wire is not not connected because it squealed and I was told to leave it disconnected that the cb got its ground from the honda wiring...any suggestions?...Thanks

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    Did you try it with someone elses helment, impeadance of the mic varies and this can cause problems, would still like to know what exactly yours is doing??
    I have 4 helmets 2 nolan with nolan headsets and 2 schubert with jm elete headsets..does it with all...I have experienced squealing,compaints of over modulating, the tx (transmit) message staying on and cb radio error message..have great grounds on all componets except the black wire from the radio had to be left disconnected as per pete ..I wonder if your black wire is connected....Thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I think if you have the time I would go to Petes shop and let him have it for a look, he can either fix it, give you a replacement radio, or some form of compensation, I know he will make it right. I had a buddies 2012 who Pete had to send him another radio an it fixed the problem, BTW my black wire is not connected..

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedro66 View Post
    Its not the GL2WAY radio that squeals its most likely something simple on the bike/install allowing the bike radio to pick up the CB transmission and squeal, squealing is indicative of a high output transmission so while not desirable is an indication of a working CB, installing an OEM in the same situation will most likely produce the same results come to the shop we will resolve it for you, we can also add the amplifier you wanted for louder output.
    Pete I have been told that you have a new design wiring harness for the 2012 application that solves the problems..If so I would love to know about it ..Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Pete I have been told that you have a new design wiring harness for the 2012 application that solves the problems..If so I would love to know about it ..Thanks
    Come down let us fix you up
    Pete

William Blake

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Come down let us fix you up
    Im going to be in Kissimmee for the fla goldwing gathering on march 22nd and 23rd....does that work?

Post Thanks / Like

Im going to be in Kissimmee for the fla goldwing gathering on march 22nd and 23rd....does that work?
    yes we will be there come by we will fit you in
    Pete

William Blake

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default GL2Way Squeal

My buddy Hammer has the same TX squeal problem ever since he installed the GL2way. I am so thankful I went OEM all the way. If this problem turns out to be a bad filter installation I'm guessing the installation instructions are bad. I watched him install this system twice going step by step meticulously ensuring he followed every step exactly. We normally ride together and I am the recipient of this loud squeal and personally have had enough of it. So you can imagine if I'm upset my big buddy is madder than a wet skunk. Reading this post and Pete's response seems to me the only way for repair is to take the bike and radio to him. That is just crazy talk! To all those looking at this post, run to the nearest post office and send the radio back to BikeMP3 and let them figure out how to fix this product. Spend a few dollars more and buy the OEM radio plus matched antenna you won't go wrong! Sorry Peter too many horror stories associated with GL2Way.
    Last edited by ptmaazx6; 03-10-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    Remember those who gave all!

Paul & Tammy Vrahiotes
    SMSgt (R) USAF 1977-2000

Post Thanks / Like

Now there's service! Way to go Pete!
    Mayor Hal
    Michelin Alpin Primacy PA3 ZP 195-55-16

Darksider#933 80,000 (s)miles & counting!
    08 GL1800 Pearl White
    12 GL1800 Pearl White
    Prowler #23

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

. Had it on receive only all the way down to daytona
    My gl2way has NOT worked since installed at wing ding.. I tried the tin foil thing and did not help.. I can receive,, but when trying to transmit everybody yells at me to stop using it because I blast everyones ear drums with high pitched squeal I could only listen all the way down to bike week

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if Pete will be in Daytona for bike week

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kniterider View Post
    Does anyone know if Pete will be in Daytona for bike week
    Sorry no I am not at Bike Week but if you want to take a ride over to the shop please give us a call to make sure I am in as there is lots going on at present.

That said the issue in you case is not the GL2WAY as such but its a 2012+ bike issues (squeals, phantom channel changes and CB errors) that is now well documented with both OEM and GL2WAY radios this often can be mitigated by revisiting the installation.

I have to admit that we do see the issue more with the GL2WAY due to the higher modulation over the OEM radio.

If you are getting squeal on pre 2012 bike then its 100% installation or installation situation meaning that either a step was missed or incorrect or there is something on the bike allowing the RF in.

In short squeal is believe it or not a good thing it shows the radio is pumping out a huge signal is not a faulty radio be it GL2WAY or OEM but it is installed on a bike that is allowing that signal into the audio system, in some cases this has been things as simple as a bad headset pigtail.

You will need to take my word for it but there are far more GL2WAY and OEM radios out there working with zero issues you never hear about those but you will also find plenty of examples of both radios misbehaving due to install circumstances on these links.

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10927

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...ghlight=gl2way

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...ighlight=error

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...ighlight=error

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...ghlight=gl2way

For those who wanted performance then the GL2WAY is the way to go but this sometimes requires some additional steps to get happy, for less install issues but lower performance go the other way but sometimes neither will give an easy result.
    Last edited by pedro66; 03-10-2014 at 05:54 PM.
    Pete

William Blake

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.