GL1800Riders Forums banner

Who is still around?

19K views 177 replies 109 participants last post by  itsawgood 
#1 ·
I haven't been on this board in many years. Was talking to Galute earlier today and he brought back so many pleasant memories (and one not so great) that it made me want to see if any of the 2004-2010 gang are still participating.
I heard that cancer made Becky pass, sad to hear. We had so much fun teasing her about her yellow "shoes." She was always fun, regardless.
Some names that stick out in my swiss-cheese memory include Galute (Ricky,) Yellow Wolf (Rick,) Tonyb, the jet pilot from north Birmingham, and so many others. Who is still participating? We all went to Falls Creek Falls a couple years, to the Dragon multiple times. (yay,) small group rides (a bunch of those,) and just all around had a great time.

David Merchant

#31 · (Edited)
Still Going Strong

I've been a member on this board since 2004 when I purchased my first Goldwing. On my second one (2013) now. I've always loved this board and forum discussions and it's been a great source of information and instruction for my Goldwings. I've also made some tremendous friendships here that I would not have made if it had not been for this forum.

People have made claims about the ups and downs of this board and offensive members but I've never gotten mixed up in that too much. I'm of the opinion you choose what you read and if you don't like it you shouldn't read a particular thread or deal with certain people if you don't want to. It's your choice.

I contribute when I can to a thread if I have something to say that I think will help someone. My main contribution I feel are my Road Trips stories I write and pictures I take to share when I take road trips. I like to share them here for any that are interested.

I am thankful to the people and admins that established this forum and support it. It's a tough job I'm sure and one that doesn't get much attention or appreciation. It is free after all. It is what you make of it as it is with most things in life. I'm also thankful for everyone that has contributed to the knowledge base that is the foundation of this forum.

I hope it will always be here for us to share our thoughts and express our opinions.

Let's be careful out there.

Donnie

#32 ·
Not sure if it actually means anything but when I signed up on the original 1800 board in the fall of 2000 I was member number 103. Been on here almost everyday since, wow the information learned And friends I have made here is amazing !!! I'm a member on a bunch of other forums but the truth is none of them even come close to as good as this forum that was started by Hal and Lamont. I have never checked into the Facebook Goldwing stuff but maybe I should take a look sometime.

#34 ·
This is a longshot I know, but with all these oldtimers posting in I have to ask.

A former member Helmetdance once posted a ride report about going all through the Rockies and up to Alaska. Because I'm planning to do this I've been looking and can't seem to find his report anywhere. I know he posted it here and also with a forum called Pashnit, but think it was all archived as I can't find an active link. So the question to the oldtimers is : does any of them have the ride report bookmarked?

Allen

#40 ·
I never posted much here but did check in every day or so...Lot of names here really bring back memories of why I enjoyed this site...One I haven't heard mentioned is Chuck211 or was it 211Chuck...either way, as controversial as he was, I really liked his style and prose. I do still enjoy and appreciate the effort and words of wisdom shared by the members of this site.

#41 ·
I once thought if this forum as an escape from reality as I know a few have mentioned to me that they do or did the same. When my friend Chuck Elliot (211) passed away , it made this forum and its members very very real. Thanks for noting him . He was a character and 3/4. Pretty glad I was not a mod than , or Chuck and I would have had a few words behind the scenes , just sayin.
Even some of our weekly phone calls would have been classified as bring banned here >:)
Man I do miss Chuck in my life .

#42 ·
I've only been on here since 2008 or so. Started out using a different name but got logged out and couldn't remember the password so signed up again as Herbike,, can't even remember the original name:surprise:

I don't try to post much anymore either, not smart enough to contribute anything that hasn't already been said.

Usually check the Wisconsin "bored", haha, have to check in and see what Rail32 is doing. Met him at his house, supposed to have gotten Darkside cookies but got Darkside cake instead. That was fine, great guy and wife is better than him.

G
#44 ·
A Dunnie would certainly last me a long time because I wouldn't go to the end of the block on one if it was raining .

I have the E4s and love them.
Riding in the rain doesn't bother me at all with them.
I will say when they are cold and the weather is cold they will loose traction quickly if you get on the throttle.
That is the only negative I have found so far.
oops, got off topic for a second.
Back to the original post.

Doug

#45 ·
I'm still here since 2004. I post some and some members don't like what I write and go out of the way to let me know about it. I've got 2 words for them. Perhaps they are just pot stirrers-----their problem not mine!

I still own my '01 but enjoy my spirited rides on much faster bikes that I own.

Was warned once by a moderator for using abbreviated foul language directed at no other than a person that served in the Army with me in the same unit, back in the early 70s for no other reason other than dissing me to get a rise from his own comments. Go figure! Yes, there are members like that that prey, to this day, on other unsuspecting contributors.

Me, I try to help members when I see that they need help. Recently, when someone had a spongy clutch problem, but, in retrospect, I wasn't acknowledged for my contribution to rectify his problem.

I read this forum every day, when I'm not riding and find this place very entertaining to pass the time.

I hope that this forum will be around for many more years.

#108 ·
Hello, big ole' Fred! You and I talked a LOT. :) I'm still tinkering (off and on) with the <censored> Honda GPS stuff but never did get it figured out. Even bought the $100 auto gps that the bike one was cloned from to try and get some code differences but that didn't work either.

TWENTY discs now? Dang. There are only 15 in my set. What's in the new version? :)

Didn't we finally meet face to face at the Dragon or FWF? I forget. :)

David

#49 ·
Still here

I'm still here to. I never post much Becky {Queen B}0:) did all the posting an chating. But we made so wonderfull friends from this form. I check in weekly but never post.

#51 ·
Nope...I'm not around here nearly as much as I used to be; seems that there's still some members annoyed, bothered or bugged because of things long in the past who frequent this place.

Happy Holidays!

#53 ·
No bike, no time to ride, and for the time being because of my recent accident with my wrist not able to ride anyway but I still check from time to time!

#55 ·
Don't check in nearly as often as I used to. FB makes it so easy, I can keep on the GW news without going to a separate website. But I enjoyed seeing all the old familiar names (and even a little bit of the old familiar drama). Still riding my illusion blue '03, though I haven't been riding nearly as much since my long-time friend Rick Kagamaster passed away. But I fondly remember the time when this was THE place to come for all the latest on what was going on with the 1800. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

#63 ·
I joined up in 2003 with the screen name Buford T got away from the bikes for a few years in 2008 then came back in 2012 but I couldn't remember my login so I came up with a new account would love to have my old account though. ride a 2008 black wing and a 2014 Indian Chieftain this is a great site I get a lot of great info from many of the experts here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.