F6B Exhaust sound
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F6B Exhaust sound

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default F6B Exhaust sound

For anybody that has one or has ridden a F6B, can you tell the difference in the exhaust sound between the Goldwing and F6B? The mufflers have a different part number.
    Last edited by wing-man; 03-23-2013 at 04:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

None

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, they sound the same.....very quiet.
    Texas TC
    2013 F6B
    Vin#0539

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why we're making these...

Post Thanks / Like

Will these fit a 2010 Gold Wing?
    EzyEric
    IBA # 47479
    2010 GL1800 Navi/ABS Yellow, it's faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezyeric View Post
    Will these fit a 2010 Gold Wing?

They would fit but they would be too long, they are made to accommodate the longer saddle bags of the 12, 13 and the F6B.
    2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S Tricolore

06 Wing ABS, Dark Red, Fully Traxxionized

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CobraUSA View Post
    That's why we're making these...

Sorry, not for me. After owning 10 LOUD Harley-Davison motorcycles, I really enjoy QUIET. Many will buy those pipes. They look great. Just not for an old guy like me.
    Texas TC
    2013 F6B
    Vin#0539

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wing One View Post
    They would fit but they would be too long, they are made to accommodate the longer saddle bags of the 12, 13 and the F6B.
    How much would they stick out?
    Paul & Jodi
    Lake Caroline VA
    2000 Concours #1 Killed a Deer 2000 Concours #2 Sold for downpayment on Wing
    2008 White Goldwing
    Full Traxxion Mega Monte
    DS# 905

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bug's Zedi View Post
    How much would they stick out?
    They would stick out roughly 2-3 inches past the bags.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds Like Money!
    Do Away with Welfare and You Won't Need A Minimum Wage and Then Let's see how the consumer makes out.

IBA # 40576

1974 Honda 550
    1979 GL 1000
    1998 Valkyie
    1999 GL 1500
    2001 HD Ultra Classic
    2002 ABS GL 1800
    2006 CVO Ultra Classic SE
    2008 ABS L3 GL 1800
    2012 ABS L3 GL 1800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

On my last two HD`s I had to put in a stage 1 kit when the pipes were changed----will the f6b have to be re-programed with custom pipes---

Contributing Member Yeahoo Whoyah's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy QUIET

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question to Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by xregandyx View Post
    On my last two HD`s I had to put in a stage 1 kit when the pipes were changed----will the f6b have to be re-programed with custom pipes---
    As this man asked, I too would like to know that. I bought Cobra pipes for my last Goldwing and loved the sound, but the bike backfired on deceleration, which I think indicated a need for a tune. I will be quick to get these pipes as soon as they are available if that issue is addressed properly.
    Will those pipes have removable baffles? I once (years ago) rode a valkyrie with those pipes unbaffled and still think about and discuss that experience frequently... I would LOVE to have that for my F6B, but want the bike to be in perfect state of tune. I've already seen a pic with a set of TorqueMasters that looked real nice in dark chrome. Are you planning on producing them in a darker chrome also? I prefer to not have that bright chrome like the stock pipes. Maybe even titanium... just something not as "blingy " as the stock pipes.
    So,... COBRA peeps... do what I know you can do well and speed up the process... I want mine as soon as possible.

I would also like to thank the guy who posted the pics of his wife's F6B with the Torquemaster pipes. Very nice!!

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dgman2 View Post
    As this man asked, I too would like to know that. I bought Cobra pipes for my last Goldwing and loved the sound, but the bike backfired on deceleration, which I think indicated a need for a tune. I will be quick to get these pipes as soon as they are available if that issue is addressed properly.
    Will those pipes have removable baffles? I once (years ago) rode a valkyrie with those pipes unbaffled and still think about and discuss that experience frequently... I would LOVE to have that for my F6B, but want the bike to be in perfect state of tune. I've already seen a pic with a set of TorqueMasters that looked real nice in dark chrome. Are you planning on producing them in a darker chrome also? I prefer to not have that bright chrome like the stock pipes. Maybe even titanium... just something not as "blingy " as the stock pipes.
    So,... COBRA peeps... do what I know you can do well and speed up the process... I want mine as soon as possible.

I would also like to thank the guy who posted the pics of his wife's F6B with the Torquemaster pipes. Very nice!!
    Alright guys. You will not need to reprogram your bike with this slip-on exhaust system. I have put roughly 500 miles on both the F6B and Gold Wing with this 6 into 6, without cores in, and it runs fantastic. The cores will be removable, and we are working on a matte black option, although chrome will be the first thing released. They sounds pretty insane without baffles!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CobraUSA

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reprogramming

Alright guys. You will not need to reprogram your bike with this slip-on exhaust system. I have put roughly 500 miles on both the F6B and Gold Wing with this 6 into 6, without cores in, and it runs fantastic. The cores will be removable, and we are working on a matte black option, although chrome will be the first thing released. They sounds pretty insane without baffles!

That makes perfect sense. So, if it needs programming and the test bike runs perfectly, y'all must have done the reprogramming. The question is, will you make available to us what exactly is needed to get it right? In other words, will the pipes be sold with the necessary equipment or precise info to get the bike tuned properly?
    Thank you for the quick response to our questions. I am looking forward to the release of your product and will refrain from buying until I have seen yours. Please do consider having the darker chrome available. Many of the black bike owners would jump on those in order to match that with the smoked blinkers and smoked windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

That makes perfect sense. So, if it needs programming and the test bike runs perfectly, y'all must have done the reprogramming. The question is, will you make available to us what exactly is needed to get it right? In other words, will the pipes be sold with the necessary equipment or precise info to get the bike tuned properly?
    Thank you for the quick response to our questions. I am looking forward to the release of your product and will refrain from buying until I have seen yours. Please do consider having the darker chrome available. Many of the black bike owners would jump on those in order to match that with the smoked blinkers and smoked windshield.
    Impossible, no one can do that, there's nothing available on the market.

If the adjustment needed is not within the range of the ECM on the bike, theres nothing anyone can do.
    Last edited by Wing One; 03-30-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by Wing One View Post
    Impossible, no one can do that, there's nothing available on the market.

If the adjustment needed is not within the range of the ECM on the bike, theres nothing anyone can do.

Thank you...Hopefully Cobra comes up with a better answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you...Hopefully Cobra comes up with a better answer.
    I think the only thing they can do is to stay within an exhaust flow rate that the ECM would be able to cope with.
    Last edited by Wing One; 03-31-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I went for a nice ride this morning down a back windy road not a whole lot of people know about. It was really nice until we came up on a pack of Other Brand riders going five miles an hour under the posted limit and all with "F Word" pipes.

i really feel bad for people that live along the more popular riding roads. Buy a house on a back road out in the country and have idiots roar by all weekend.

i am no longer looking to change my exhaust. Quiet is nice.

Post Thanks / Like

They would stick out roughly 2-3 inches past the bags.
    The length of the new pipes doesn't look like much of difference from many aftermarket exhaust tips for the GL1800, The new pipes look great! I don't think I've seen that style since the 1500 Valk! Now all we need is six straight pipes that run all the way to the head!
    2005 GL1800A Bright Blue Metallic
    GWBBA #58
    Darkside #527
    195/55R-16 Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP RunFlat
    A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be...
    -Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gumpy--ain`t about loud noise--I just enjoy hearing the motor---even on my HD`s, always ran baffles in my custom pipes--will do the same with the Cobra pipes---ran Torq Masters on my other Wing and it sounded good without being too loud---the "sewing machine" sound of the Wing does nothing for me---

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yep

Gumpy--ain`t about loud noise--I just enjoy hearing the motor---even on my HD`s, always ran baffles in my custom pipes--will do the same with the Cobra pipes---ran Torq Masters on my other Wing and it sounded good without being too loud---the "sewing machine" sound of the Wing does nothing for me---
    Can't wait to have them on my bike. I love the bike, but I need to hear that awesome sound; I heard it on the old Valkyrie and fell in love with that sound when I rode the bike. Finally, I'll have it on an even nicer bike....
    I promise...I will keep a steady cruise if i'm on any quiet populated country road on a Sunday morning, and I'll keep the sound to a minimum when doing so. That would be a rare occurrence, though... most of my riding is in areas where the sound would not bother anyone... I bet it would even put a smile on most faces of the people in my subdivision. I enjoy hearing some of their very loud, nice cars.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default APOLOGIES to COBRA

So sorry for my lack of attention. I just reread the Cobra post and realized that I missed the one word: NOT.
    You said the bike will NOT need reprogramming. That is GREAT!!!
    I still would like to know if there is backfiring on deceleration like I had with my last Cobra pipe on my previous GL1800 Goldwing several years ago. I'm assuming that such isn't the case, but would like to hear it from y'all (Cobra). I will be calling and pre-ordering mine Monday morning if our conversation during the call confirms my assumption.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for my lack of attention. I just reread the Cobra post and realized that I missed the one word: NOT.
    You said the bike will NOT need reprogramming. That is GREAT!!!
    I still would like to know if there is backfiring on deceleration like I had with my last Cobra pipe on my previous GL1800 Goldwing several years ago. I'm assuming that such isn't the case, but would like to hear it from y'all (Cobra). I will be calling and pre-ordering mine Monday morning if our conversation during the call confirms my assumption.
    Hey no worries! I guess I should have capitalized NOT

With the baffles removed you will get some gurgling on deceleration, but with them in you shouldn't have any. This exhaust meets the sound test for California as well as the rest of the country, and it does not interfere with an emissions, making it 50 state legal!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey no worries! I guess I should have capitalized NOT

With the baffles removed you will get some gurgling on deceleration, but with them in you shouldn't have any. This exhaust meets the sound test for California as well as the rest of the country, and it does not interfere with an emissions, making it 50 state legal!

Will they have an EPA stamp?

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RodFarmer View Post
    Will they have an EPA stamp?
    As of now I am not sure, but they are after the cat's so technically that isn't necessary. If anything we would look into a CARB stamp.
    Cobra Engineering

Post Thanks / Like

As of now I am not sure, but they are after the cat's so technically that isn't necessary. If anything we would look into a CARB stamp.
    The question pertains to noise ordinances. I believe NYC and Denver can look for EPA stamps. No EPA stamp = ticket.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for Cobra

Hello there Cobra peeps,

I'm almost ready to pre order my pipes, but have one dilemma left. I'm not sure weather to get black or chrome. On one hand I want the black, because I like the blacked out look of my black F6B; on the other hand, I'm worried that the look of the bike from the side would become bulky due to the optical effect of seeing all black. The chrome draws a clear line under the saddle bags, possible looking leaner than it would with the black pipes. Unfortunately, thats just theory and the black pipes might not have that effect at all.
    So, the bottom line is that we (FB6 owners) need a pick (side shot) of the black and the chrome so that we can make a choice. Is there any chance of you posting a pic of each so that we can start ordering? Also, will the black be a matte or shiny finish?... hopefully matte.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Those look homemade to me. I wouldn't put that crap on my lawn mower. If I wanted sound, I would buy a Harley!.... Oh yeah, I did that!
    2013 Streetglide
    2005 Gl1800
    2005 Electraglide CVO
    2006 Streetglide
    2004 Gl1800
    1998 Heritage Softail
    more Honda and Yamahas than I can remember

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.