J&M Music Player
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: J&M Music Player

Seasoned Member fredfirefighter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default J&M Music Player

Just bought one from a fellow board member and getting ready to install. The instructions call for a 1 1/4" hole to be drilled. Is this necessary or is there an alternative to routing the connector. Mounting of the player is called for in the well where the CD player would be installed. This seems to be cumbersome and I was thinking of mounting to the sideway of the trunk using Velcro. What say you that have installed this system or a similar one? Thanks for responses. Fred
    US Navy 63-69
    07 Dark Blue Goldwing
    1994 Kwik Kamp camper

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fredfirefighter View Post
    Just bought one from a fellow board member and getting ready to install. The instructions call for a 1 1/4" hole to be drilled. Is this necessary or is there an alternative to routing the connector. Mounting of the player is called for in the well where the CD player would be installed. This seems to be cumbersome and I was thinking of mounting to the sideway of the trunk using Velcro. What say you that have installed this system or a similar one? Thanks for responses. Fred
    Hi Fred - can speak from personal experience on this one. If you are going to use the lower-power Honda CB, then use the CB hole method and put it in the CB trunk space. Not an issue, other than getting to it when you want to change your play lists.

However, if you are going to use the higher-power GL2WAY CB system, velcro it the side of the trunk. Works great there, easy to get to, and the removes it from the immediate area of the GL2WAY. I was getting a squeal in my CB system. Worked with Pete at BikeMP3, we found the MP3 player was picking up the RF from the CB and giving me a squeal. Mounted the unit on the side of the trunk, squeal is gone. Enjoy the player - I do mine. Be aware a NAV equipped bike handles less music folders than a non-Nav bike, as the nav system takes up memory space in the radio system.

Alternative to the big hole is at the top right or left corner of your trunk is a black pan-head screw. Remove the screw, and lift the side of the trunk plastic up and outward from the back panel (there's a recessed lip the side panel sits in in addition to the screw). Now drill a small channel in the back wall down from the top edge that will allow the cable to slide down into. Put the side wall of the trunk back in place, and now the cable is into the trunk without the need for a large hole for the connector to fit thru. Also, no worries about water intrusion.

Send me an email if need to talk on this. I hope the description helps.
    Last edited by ssncob; 04-13-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    Double Darksider #847
    IBA #54767 BB1500+
    Patriot Guard
    "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
    President John F. Kennedy

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MP3 Install

Quote Originally Posted by fredfirefighter View Post
    Go here and watch the install video. http://bikemp3.com/GL1800-Digital-Mu...GW-IPD-V03.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssncob View Post
    Hi Fred - can speak from personal experience on this one. If you are going to use the lower-power Honda CB, then use the CB hole method and put it in the CB trunk space. Not an issue, other than getting to it when you want to change your play lists.

However, if you are going to use the higher-power GL2WAY CB system, velcro it the side of the trunk. Works great there, easy to get to, and the removes it from the immediate area of the GL2WAY. I was getting a squeal in my CB system. Worked with Pete at BikeMP3, we found the MP3 player was picking up the RF from the CB and giving me a squeal. Mounted the unit on the side of the trunk, squeal is gone. Enjoy the player - I do mine. Be aware a NAV equipped bike handles less music folders than a non-Nav bike, as the nav system takes up memory space in the radio system.

Alternative to the big hole is at the top right or left corner of your trunk is a black pan-head screw. Remove the screw, and lift the side of the trunk plastic up and outward from the back panel (there's a recessed lip the side panel sits in in addition to the screw). Now drill a small channel in the back wall down from the top edge that will allow the cable to slide down into. Put the side wall of the trunk back in place, and now the cable is into the trunk without the need for a large hole for the connector to fit thru. Also, no worries about water intrusion.

Send me an email if need to talk on this. I hope the description helps.
    I mounted my mp3 on top of my gl2 way cb is this squeal when you transmit? I do get what I thought was interference noise occasionally but not when I transmit.. Maybe that is it
    1968 175 Honda
    I969 650 BSA Spitfire
    1972 650 Yamaha
    1973 900 Kawasaki Z1
    1974 900 Kawasaki Z1
    2002 750 Honda Shadow ACE
    2001 1800 (red..the fastest color) 150,000+ miles
    Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry 3rd Battalion 1969-1975
    South Galiano V. Fire Dept -20 years (Captain)
    GWRRA 350677
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...03#post3693903

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hondadiver View Post
    I mounted my mp3 on top of my gl2 way cb is this squeal when you transmit? I do get what I thought was interference noise occasionally but not when I transmit.. Maybe that is it
    Not sure I understand your question. If get squeal when transmit, then could be the player on top of the GL2WAY. If get static when not transmitting, just riding down the road, then either squelch is too low, or getting some bleedover from another cb or othersource. You should have some ferrite filters on the power lead into the radio and the antenna cable heading out of it.
    Double Darksider #847
    IBA #54767 BB1500+
    Patriot Guard
    "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
    President John F. Kennedy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssncob View Post
    Not sure I understand your question. If get squeal when transmit, then could be the player on top of the GL2WAY. If get static when not transmitting, just riding down the road, then either squelch is too low, or getting some bleedover from another cb or othersource. You should have some ferrite filters on the power lead into the radio and the antenna cable heading out of it.
    I do not get static when I transmit but most likely as you said squelch is to low .. Interestingly I did get a constant low static noise before mp3 install after mp3 install it was gone there were filters in place before I added the mp3 player..electrical stuff .. Go figure
    1968 175 Honda
    I969 650 BSA Spitfire
    1972 650 Yamaha
    1973 900 Kawasaki Z1
    1974 900 Kawasaki Z1
    2002 750 Honda Shadow ACE
    2001 1800 (red..the fastest color) 150,000+ miles
    Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry 3rd Battalion 1969-1975
    South Galiano V. Fire Dept -20 years (Captain)
    GWRRA 350677
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...03#post3693903

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.