How to connect a Garmin Zumo 660/665 Motorcycle Cradle with Integrated Power Cable
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to connect a Garmin Zumo 660/665 Motorcycle Cradle with Integrated Power Cable

Post Thanks / Like

Question How to connect a Garmin Zumo 660/665 Motorcycle Cradle with Integrated Power Cable

I need some assistance as to how to integrate my new Garmin Zumo 660/665 with Motorcycle Cradle with Integrated Power Cable into my GL1800 OEM communication system which I have connected to our EdSets 3G helmets.

I want to hear the Garmin 660 navigation audio alerts as well as be able to make phone calls through the GPS 660 Bluetooth to cell phone feature. I have the OEM GL1800 Aux male cable in the left pocket as well as a Kennedy/CellSet MC/SP4, which I used to connect my cell phone to the GL1800 communication system before I purchased the Garmin 660.

Now that I have the Garmin 660, I can bluetooth my cell phone to the Garmin 660, and remove the MC/SP4 device. That leaves me just the one male OEM AUX Cable in my left pocket.

My questions:
    1. Where do I hook the Aux and Mic In cables shown below on the Garmin Zumo 660/665 Motorcycle Cradle with Integrated Power Cable? They are both a female end?
    2. How would I also add an extra AUX cable for a MP3 player but still have the Garmin Zumo 660/665 Motorcycle Cradle with Integrated Power Cable using the AUX male? I have looked at a Microphone Splitter/Isolater Cable from Edsets, but it only has one male cable end and the Garmin Zumo 660/665 Motorcycle Cradle with Integrated Power Cable has two inputs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-29 at 8.34.27 PM.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	82834
    Kurt's World of Cycles
    2008 GL1800 ABS/Nav Ruby Metallic Red
    2008 Bushtec Quantum Sport (Mid West Region)
    2009 BMW K1200 LT Night Sky Blue
    (West Coast Region)
    Where I've Been &
    Where I need to go!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You definitely need that mike splitter from Edsets. It's a straightforward hookup.

As far as the aux goes, many people use a headset splitter that you can get from Radio Shack for using two devices. I recommend against it, but I only know of two people who ever had a problem with that kind of hookup, and they were both splitting with a radar detector if I remember correctly.

(Using a splitter with no isolation feeds the audio output of one device back to the output of the other device. It has the potential to damage one of the devices. The risk is low, but it's still a risk. )
    Last edited by LarryM; 04-29-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

Default Still Confused

Quote Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
    You definitely need that mike splitter from Edsets. It's a straightforward hookup.

As far as the aux goes, many people use a headset splitter that you can get from Radio Shack for using two devices. I recommend against it, but I only know of two people who ever had a problem with that kind of hookup, and they were both splitting with a radar detector if I remember correctly.

(Using a splitter with no isolation feeds the audio output of one device back to the output of the other device. It has the potential to damage one of the devices. The risk is low, but it's still a risk. )
    Thanks Larry for the quick response, but I am still slightly confused.

Do I only need to hook the GL1800 OEM AUX in (Male) to the Audio Out (Female) lead of the Garmin Zumo 660/665 Motorcycle Cradle with Integrated Power Cable? What goes into the Mic In lead of the Garmin Zumo 660/665 Motorcycle Cradle with Integrated Power Cable for making phone calls? See the pic above for the cables on the Garmin Zumo 660/665 Motorcycle Cradle with Integrated Power Cable.
    Last edited by kurtsanders; 04-29-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the mic is for ear buds.If you use the buds make sure to turn the volume down before plugging in it will be very loud.Ask me how i know!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Found the answer

Quote Originally Posted by stmike View Post
    I believe the mic is for ear buds.If you use the buds make sure to turn the volume down before plugging in it will be very loud.Ask me how i know!!!
    Thanks Larry, you are right! I need the Microphone Signal Splitter to create a male microphone connection and use the GL1800 OEM AUX in male lead for the AUX connector on the Garmin female harness connections.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kurtsanders View Post
    Thanks Larry for the quick response, but I am still slightly confused.

Do I only need to hook the GL1800 OEM AUX in (Male) to the Audio Out (Female) lead of the Garmin Zumo 660/665 Motorcycle Cradle with Integrated Power Cable? What goes into the Mic In lead of the Garmin Zumo 660/665 Motorcycle Cradle with Integrated Power Cable for making phone calls? See the pic above for the cables on the Garmin Zumo 660/665 Motorcycle Cradle with Integrated Power Cable.
    I guess sometimes things seem so simple that there must be something wrong. But you are correct. That is all their is to it. The audio out from your Zumo plugs right into the aux input cable.

As far as the mike goes, the Edsets splitter will give your bike the necessary connector to plug in the mike from the Zumo.

Once that is done, you have everything you need to use your phone. All you have to do is pair the two.

Keep in mind that you do not have to have Intercom on to use the phone, but you will have to have Aux turned on.
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Larry

Quote Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
    I guess sometimes things seem so simple that there must be something wrong. But you are correct. That is all their is to it. The audio out from your Zumo plugs right into the aux input cable.

As far as the mike goes, the Edsets splitter will give your bike the necessary connector to plug in the mike from the Zumo.

Once that is done, you have everything you need to use your phone. All you have to do is pair the two.

Keep in mind that you do not have to have Intercom on to use the phone, but you will have to have Aux turned on.
    Thanks for the advice and tips.

I have heard that the Zumo 660/665 does not create high quality phone calls. But, if I can at least get some brief information to a caller about my location when I am on the superslab, it will suffice. I will let you know if this flaw is still evident on the Garmin 660 model I have.

According to information posted on the EdSets website:
    NOTE: Garmin 600 series GPS have limited outgoing cell phone call volume, meaning your voice will not sound as strong as with other GPS due to Garmin's automatic gain control (AGC) used on the microphone input jack in these GPS units. It is a design flaw in the system, not a random failure. We have engineered our splitter to isolate it better than other units, and the performance is better than lesser splitters.
    Kurt's World of Cycles
    (West Coast Region)
    Where I've Been &
    Where I need to go!

Post Thanks / Like

The issue is one of design - the Zumo design and the Goldwing headset design... The Zumo is designed with an electret mic in mind - in fact, it's internal mic is an electret... Most Goldwing headsets (actually all these days) utilize a dynamic mic which has much lower output than an electret...

I have interrogated many Zumo Bluetooth Cell/headset units for our club members and they all work... The caveat is the audio from the dynamic mic is marginal for the Zumo circuitry... After you get it installed and your going to make your first test call, I recommend taking the windsock off your mic and put that mic right up against your lips and talk very loudly and your party on the other end will hear you fine...

I recommend using a thin windsock if your going to regularly use the cell phone/bluetooth functionality of the Zumo with a dynamic mic...

In my personal setup on my 09 ABS, I use the old Airrider headsets which were designed around an electret mic element... The electret mic element in these headsets have more than enough audio output to drive the Zumo Bluetooth circuitry...They use a 9 volt battery stored in the front and rear fairing pockets to power the electret mic elements... The battery holder also has a few electronic components in it for matching and coupling and such... These headsets ( I have 3 of them) are still going strong after nearly 20 years of service...

The Airrider electrets have superior audio quality compared to anything that is available today, except maybe another electret mic... It is unfortunate that the electrets never enjoyed the popularity of the dynamic mics because they work so much better... I suspect that was because everyone was afraid of having to change the battery's... In fact, the 9 volt batteries will last nearly 2 years or more before they have to be replaced as the current draw of the electret mic element is on the order of microamps and battery life is essentially the shelf life of the 9 volt battery...

For me, I'll never use anything but an electret mic element in my headsets... IMC has some electret headsets but you'll have to build your own interface if you want to use them... Sadly, Airrider discontinued the electret mic many years ago and no one ever re-engineered the headset... Ed from Edsets tried a few designs but he could never get the noise out of the mic circuitry when using bike power as he didn't want to use an external 9 volt battery... As far as I know, no one else produces an electret mic headset for the Goldwings... That's too bad because they really offer far superior performance to any dynamic mic out there today...

Like Larry said, you can try a "Y" cable on the aux input - I have done that on one or two integrations and it has worked, but why not use the built in MP3 player on the Zumo 665 - that's what I do, and I also subscribe to XM Radio with Nav Weather and Nav Traffice - it's an unbeatable setup... I know some riders don't care for the SiriusXM company themselves and I must agree they are not the easiest people to deal with and their customer service leaves something to be desired, but once you get by that it, works very well, and it works very well for me in my setup and several riders in our club...

Les
    Last edited by dadztoy; 05-01-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you have your microphone types mixed up. The only type of mike that ever needed power was the piezoelectic type that required a bias voltage. If those batteries lasted two years, this was undoubtedly the type Air Rider used. Line powered telephones use piezoelectric mike elements.

Electret condenser mikes do not need power. However, their output is not very high compared to a dynamic mike, and because of that, many electrets have their own built in pre-amplifiers that require power to boost the audio signal.

The internal Zumo mike, and all the mikes in phones and other portable devices are chosen simply because the elements are so tiny and so inexpensive to manufacturer. In quantity, they are literally a dime a dozen, probably less.

Dollar for dollar, the dynamic mike still offers the best bang for the buck in sound quality. My Zumo sounds fine to callers with my Edsets headset. It seems to be a little lower in level than my Intercom, but that is a compatibility problem in the design of the Zumo, not the headset.
    Larry

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kurtsanders View Post
    Thanks for the advice and tips.

I have heard that the Zumo 660/665 does not create high quality phone calls. But, if I can at least get some brief information to a caller about my location when I am on the superslab, it will suffice. I will let you know if this flaw is still evident on the Garmin 660 model I have.

According to information posted on the EdSets website:
    The most common complaint I have heard about the Zumo is that some people experience an echo with callers, at least with the 550. I don't know if the new series still has that problem.
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Larry - well no, I don't think I have my microphone types mixed up... Electret types do use a bias voltage... I have a very extensive electronics background and I have built several of my own headsets and and even a custom CB Radio using an elecret mic that was published quite a few years back in Wing World... The dynamics sound good but the electrets sound better... Guess the Commercial Broadcast Industry can't be all that wrong as they all use electret mics in their broadcast studios...

A piezo mic , better know as a crystal mic, needs no bias supply and although higher in output than a dynamic, does not have the sound quality of a dynamic or electret...

You might want to read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electret_microphone

and this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microph...ric_microphone

Les
    Last edited by dadztoy; 05-02-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

get the ed set mike splitter that's the one that works .I tried the other it don't. Ed set works great
    better to be pissed off than pissed on. And when hell freezes over I'll ride there to

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Edset Mic Splitter

Quote Originally Posted by sasqach View Post
    get the ed set mike splitter that's the one that works .I tried the other it don't. Ed set works great
    The EdSet Mic Spitter just arrived in the mail. I will install over the next week and report back.
    Kurt's World of Cycles
    (West Coast Region)
    Where I've Been &
    Where I need to go!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.