How to tie down on a trailer
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to tie down on a trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to tie down on a trailer

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but I couldn't find it by searching. I am planning a motorhome trip to Sequoia National Park soon. I plan to put my Wing on a trailer and tow it behind me. What is the best way to strap it down? Engine guards....front forks....through the rims? etc... Should I compress the forks at all? Should I put it on the center stand, side stand, or on its wheels? In gear or neutral? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

I remove the side covers and use a soft wrap strap around the frame....then use rachet straps and connect to the soft wraps and pull towards the front of the bike and connect the straps to the trailer. I use two rachet straps on each side of the bike for safety........put the side covers in safe spot in the truck while trailering the Wing......no worries about touching any painted parts doing it this way.

Frank
    Bear, Delaware
    03 Candy Orange

Post Thanks / Like

Condor Chock for the front wheel, drive right in....Soft Ties on the triple tree, DO NOT USE REAR ENGINE GUARD....learned that the hard way....
    Best advise remove side covers and soft tie to the frame as already stated......this system works great in my toy hauler.....Sheared 1 bolt on the rear engine guard, it was a very cheap lesson, cost me 2 new bolts and no damage to the wing......
    Bill Sivori
    Aviation Consultant
    Captain Hawker 800XPI/400XP
    Sikorsky 76
    Iron Shields LE MC
    2008 Goldwing
    2005 Electra Glide FLHT Police Issue
    1982 CB900 Custom
    2010 Forrest River Toy Hauler
    God Bless My Marine
    Semper Fi

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I also remove the side covers and use the soft loop straps around the the round frame tubes straight out to the trailer with ratchet straps. Then I use loop straps on each side of the lower tripple tree and go down to the front corners of the trailer and ratchet them down about half of the fork travel.I also have a chock on the front of the trailer for the front wheel. I also tape any connections of the straps that could pop off from bouncing around.

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LauraVisit12 030.jpg 
Views:	799 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	84952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LauraVisit12 026.jpg 
Views:	717 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	84953

Here's how i tie mine down, which is how the previous poster have stated. After you travel a hundred miles or so, check your straps for tightness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LauraVisit12 030.jpg 
Views:	799 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	84952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LauraVisit12 026.jpg 
Views:	717 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	84953

Here's how i tie mine down, which is how the previous poster have stated. After you travel a hundred miles or so, check your straps for tightness.
    Pics are worth a thousand words! But is it ok to use the rear crash bars? thanks

~~Texas Embassy~~ Hunterdon County, New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted this in another thread on the same topic, so I thought someone reading this one might need some of these soft straps. I ordered from HERE.

-- Jim --

................'05 GL1800 - '06 Piggy Backer
    ...........................USN '68 - '78

"When life throws you a curve, lean into it."
    ..................(I had it before the shirt.)

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

DO NOT use the rear crash bars for tie down points. Several people have broken the mounting bolts. Side frame and triple tree and leave room for the suspension to work. Blown seals are the result of cinching it down to hard.
    RIP BEVERLY
    2008 Titanium
    2005 Bushtec Quantum GL
    Darksider #62
    AMA Life Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    Florida Honorary Prowler #70

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't ever tied the wing down for a trailer haul, but you will realy love the national park . Just got back from there couple of weeks ago, another great place to visit while out there would be the San Berdinio mountians , and Big Bear lake area . Nice roads going into there ,and beautiful mountians and ski resort type towns . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VAC APRIL 2013 309.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	84956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VAC APRIL 2013 259 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	84957 Sorry didn't notice you where living in that area , so I'm sure youv'e been to those places already .
    Last edited by deerhunter61; 05-17-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    primacy alpin rear 30 psi , battleaxe bt 45 front 40 psi
    darksider #1029

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Obviously a front wheel chock!
    2. Soft ties (one each side) around the lower triple tree plate. Ratchet straps to these soft ties to some anchor points forward of and somewhat outboard of the tree plate. Yes, you should compress the forks but, no more than 2"s!
    3. On the 1800's the best tie-down points to stabilize the rear of the bike is the frame, under the side covers. Soft-ties around the frame and ratchet straps to points that are outboard of and rearward of the point where the soft-straps are wrapped around the frame. These should just be snug with no real "force" applied.
    Front straps should be attached first to insure the bike is "pulled" into the front wheel chock.
    A condor(or similar)wheel chick that "stands" the bike up is a excellent choice. However, if you have a front fender extension, make sure you have clearance to the wheel chock!
    Check the straps often while towing! Have a extra handy, just in case!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Always park in first gear. Never leave it on center stand, tie down kickstand side first. Use the frame and triple trees to tie to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wingleader09 View Post
    I posted this in another thread on the same topic, so I thought someone reading this one might need some of these soft straps. I ordered from HERE.

Thank you!!
    Kevin
    2004 Goldwing
    2001 Escapade SE

Post Thanks / Like

No, don't use the rear crash bars.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Tulsa windshield site has (still there I suppose) an excellent tutorial/pictures of how to tie down your wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think it has been mentioned but I woundn't tow while strapped down without putting bike in nuteral. Take the stress off the tranny.
    May Jesus Christ bless us all.
    Double Darkside #672; General G-Max / Battleaxe
    Prowlers #672

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Always park in first gear.
    I would be in neutral when I snugged up the front straps to insure the bike was being pulled into the front wheel chock and there was no stress placed on the tranny gears!

Post Thanks / Like

I towed my Wing on a trailer from Clarksville, TN to Salt Lake City, Utah and back (about 3400 miles) when I rode it to Alaska. I used soft ties around the front forks (forks compress about 1 1/2 inches), front wheel in a chock, and two ties to the rear crash bars. Note: I see what has been written about the rear crash bars, but you only need to tighten these enough to prevent side-to-side movement. The bike is secured by being tied down from the forks forward to prevent it from coming out of the chock. (regarding the rear crash bars; If you use ratchet straps and tighten them down till they smoke, you probably will break something, but since you're tying down a bike you really like, take it easy and you shouldn't have any problems.) If they are strong enough to support a 950 lb. bike laying on it's side, a few pounds of pull to keep the bike from moving isn't going to stress them.
    rogedmonds

I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
    but I'm not sure you realize that WHAT YOU HEARD is NOT what I meant!

Darkside (#773) - Bridgestone Potenza 195/55/R16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bnordt04 View Post
    DO NOT use the rear crash bars for tie down points. Several people have broken the mounting bolts. Side frame and triple tree and leave room for the suspension to work. Blown seals are the result of cinching it down to hard.
    +1

Be careful not to over tighten anything that causes pressure on the suspension. Ideally you want the suspension of the bike to be able to work rather than be beating against a strap on every bump. Tying to the rear or front crash bars will definitely do this.

You can tie to the frame, but you want to make your tie point to the trailer something that goes out and not down or the bike will pull against the straps on every bump.

I always just tie down my front triple tree in a chock and then just tie down the rear tire so the bike can't move side to side. Have towed a few thousand miles like this without isse.

(although I'm embarrased I've towed it that much....you're supposed to ride it, not tow it.)
    ----------------
    2013 GL1800 ABS
    2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track)
    2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
    2012 Niner Air 9
    2013 Specialized Roubaix
    "Street or Dirt, Motor or Pedal, riding 2 wheels is fun"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shojac View Post
    Always park in first gear. Never leave it on center stand, tie down kickstand side first. Use the frame and triple trees to tie to.
    I hope your are not suggesting to tow it tied down on the side stand. I think that is extremely bad advice for a 900 pound bike bouncing on a trailer and the side stand.

No center stand, no side stand. Use a front wheel chock and use the triple tree to pull the bike into the chock and compress the front shock 1-1/2 to 2 inches and the bike will be fine. Use another set up straps to secure the rear from moving. (I personally strap down the actual rear wheel to a floor mounted D ring on my trailer but other methods may work as well)
    ----------------
    2013 GL1800 ABS
    2012 Niner Air 9
    2013 Specialized Roubaix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2WheelNut View Post
    I hope your are not suggesting to tow it tied down on the side stand. I think that is extremely bad advice for a 900 pound bike bouncing on a trailer and the side stand.

No center stand, no side stand. Use a front wheel chock and use the triple tree to pull the bike into the chock and compress the front shock 1-1/2 to 2 inches and the bike will be fine. Use another set up straps to secure the rear from moving. (I personally strap down the actual rear wheel to a floor mounted D ring on my trailer but other methods may work as well)

I think he was just suggesting having the sidestand down just in case when you start tying the front down the bike tips, hence the suggestion to start on the left side. Once both sides are tied down with the bike straight up, put the kickstand back up. I do this as an added safety measure when I start tying the bike down.
    rogedmonds

I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
    but I'm not sure you realize that WHAT YOU HEARD is NOT what I meant!

Darkside (#773) - Bridgestone Potenza 195/55/R16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogedmonds View Post
    I think he was just suggesting having the sidestand down just in case when you start tying the front down the bike tips, hence the suggestion to start on the left side. Once both sides are tied down with the bike straight up, put the kickstand back up. I do this as an added safety measure when I start tying the bike down.
    Ok...that makes a lot more sense. I had this picture of a bike strapped down while leaned over on the side stand going down the road thinking....that would be a disaster.

My chock is pretty stout and once you set the front wheel in it, it pretty much holds it in place until you strap it down. However, I do realize not all chocks do this so it makes sense.
    ----------------
    2013 GL1800 ABS
    2012 Niner Air 9
    2013 Specialized Roubaix

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a few pictures of my set up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike on trailer 007.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	84961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike on trailer 008.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	84962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike on trailer 010.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	84963  

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor freight has a good wheel chock if you have one near you.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-69026.html
    Sergeant First Class, Army, United States of America, Retired.

LIMNCS #104
    Darksider #706

'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'

Post Thanks / Like

Correct way to tie down GL1800.
    http://www.allamericanprod.com/tiedown.html

1981 CB900C
    1987 GL1200I
    2004 GL1800
    2010 GL1800
    1970 Mustangs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
    I remove the side covers and use a soft wrap strap around the frame....then use rachet straps and connect to the soft wraps and pull towards the front of the bike and connect the straps to the trailer. I use two rachet straps on each side of the bike for safety........put the side covers in safe spot in the truck while trailering the Wing......no worries about touching any painted parts doing it this way.
    Agree with all said. I have only had to tow twice in 7 years. No center stand or side stand down. They will tear up the floor. I wouldn’t synch up the tie downs until you are ready to go and would release when stopped for an extended period of time. The front fork seals do not like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some good information. http://www.allamericanprod.com/tiedown.html

Post Thanks / Like

Default No hooks

1. I have seen hooks come loose two times, i cut hooks off straps and use a heavy fastener without an open side that cant come off, i have the loop on the trailer and both ends of the strap in the fastener! Will not come loose and dont have to compress springs much!
    2. ive geen doing it this way about 5 years and no probs, also i like pull straps, not ratchets!

Post Thanks / Like

Allot of good info here. I trailered my '87 helix behind my motorhome years ago. Still have it and it is an antique now. I bought a toy hauler that has popup wheel chocks imbeded in the floor that pop up http://www.rvguide.com/specs/forest-...play/20lk.html I was interested in what points to anchor the Wing if I ever trailer it. Wife and I have been riding together for 44 years not and don't believe in trailering. If we can't ride we don't go. I bought the trailer to use as Winter storage. Has heat and lights so I can work on it when the snow flies. Wife did not want a shed in the yard. But I wanted to know the best way to tie a Wing down in case I get a GoldBook call. Haven't had one in the 30+ years of being a member but you never know. Great info and thanks to everyone!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RLstangs View Post
    Correct way to tie down GL1800.
    http://www.allamericanprod.com/tiedown.html
    Ive looked at these photos, but Im not clear at all as to where the soft straps are wrapping around up at the forks?

~~Texas Embassy~~ Hunterdon County, New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fakum View Post
    Ive looked at these photos, but Im not clear at all as to where the soft straps are wrapping around up at the forks?
    The soft straps go around the lower clamps of the triple tree. There are two clamps at the top of the tubes and two about 8" - 10" down from the top. The straps go around the lower clamps.
    -- Jim --

................'05 GL1800 - '06 Piggy Backer
    ...........................USN '68 - '78

"When life throws you a curve, lean into it."
    ..................(I had it before the shirt.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.