Goldwing Wings

View Poll Results: What would you recommend?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Baker Hand Wings, Hands down the only choice.

58 82.86%
  • Chrome World Air Deflectors, the best choice.

0 0%
  • I've used both, and they both work equally well.

1 1.43%
  • They are both ugly, they don't work and they are both a complete waste of money.

11 15.71%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goldwing Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Goldwing Wings

Looking for input and a comparison between the Baker Hand Wings and the Chrome World Air Deflectors. Which does a better job? #1, How are each of them for Passenger buffeting, #2, General wet and cold protection and #3, How do they work for redirecting air on Hot days. For #3, I assume that the Baker Wings do well, but not so sure about the Chrome World ones.

Current Bikes:
    * 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag
    * 2010 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail
    * 2003 Harley-Davidson Low Rider
    * 1971 Triumph Bonneville

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What about including the National Cycle hand wings in the survey?

Seasoned Member
    Morganville, New Jersey / Naples, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehighways View Post
    Looking for input and a comparison between the Baker Hand Wings and the Chrome World Air Deflectors. Which does a better job? #1, How are each of them for Passenger buffeting, #2, General wet and cold protection and #3, How do they work for redirecting air on Hot days. For #3, I assume that the Baker Wings do well, but not so sure about the Chrome World ones.

With the Chrome World Air Deflectors the plastic strips covering the screws to remove the top shelter have to be notched, while with the Baker Hand Wings you don't need to notch out anything since they mount to the mirrors by using longer bolts supplied by the manufacturers. Having had both, my vote is for the Baker Hand Wings.

Post Thanks / Like

All ugly !!!
    Last edited by Wing One; 05-25-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S Tricolore

06 Wing ABS, Dark Red, Fully Traxxionized

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like my Bakers. With the side wings being split the upper portion will give you plenty of air. The lower part can be left closed to divert hot air from the radiator vent away from you. In winter you can bring hot air from radiator on you.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used the Baker Wings since 04 and I like them.
    The Hand wings seem to do the most good for passengers.
    I also have the foot wings BUT only use them in the winter. They have a very big impact on gas mileage. Why that is I'm not sure but the do. 3-4 mpg

Post Thanks / Like

While I've never had the Chrome World Air Deflectors I have had the Honda brand air deflector which are basically the same shape and style.

I have to say the Baker Built smooth out the air flow better likely due to its shapes. I happen to like the way they looks and the SO does too. In my unofficial testing, the air seems to be moved out farther that with the Honda brand. The other thing I like is that the acrylic used seems to be more damage/scratch resistant - harder. The Honda brand is clear ~ after just a few years of use, it looks terrible, hazed and the chrome is peeling too.

Installing either can be a bit daunting for the average person since you have to either drill large holes for the Air Wings or cut into plastic trim strips for the Air Deflectors. It was an easy task for myself having aircraft structure repair and machinist experience ~ measure twice (or thrice), cut once.

I'd suggest just diving in and getting the Baker Built Hands Wings and Air Wings with lowers and be done with it. I was that impressed I ordered the Leg Wings too. In Alaska, riding can, at times, be cold, wet and gusty. I want my wife to be as comfortable as possible. If you are a solo rider, it is still a great upgrade that the driver benefits from as well.
    Last edited by bjcarter2; 05-25-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the Tulsas also. They look like they would do a good job of directing air away from the rider, but can't be turned to direct air to the rider.
    While the Bakers don't look as good, they can be turned in to provide cooling air on a hot day.
    <font size=3><font color=#333333><span style=font-family: Verdana>If you don't watch the news or read the newspaper, you're uninformed; if you do.... you're misinformed.</span></font></font>

Chard Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Stallion View Post
    With the Chrome World Air Deflectors the plastic strips covering the screws to remove the top shelter have to be notched
    Nothing has to be notched!

Those are Big Bike deflectors in the pic shown..... Been using them since '01.

Post Thanks / Like

Baker hand wings only

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Seasoned Member 1800 06 Champion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use only the Bakers (mirrors, fairing and leg wings) on my Goldwings. On my Trike I use the Trike Leg wings( larger then the ones for a 2 wheeler). JMO, I use the clear one because they don't stand out like the colored ones do.
    T.A. Jens
    The Pizza Man
    06 White Goldwing Champion Trike
    05 Bunkhouse Camper
    06 Breeze Cargo Trailer
    Life member of GWRRA

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the Baker air wings with lowers ..love them ugly things
    1968 175 Honda
    I969 650 BSA Spitfire
    1972 650 Yamaha
    1973 900 Kawasaki Z1
    1974 900 Kawasaki Z1
    2002 750 Honda Shadow ACE
    2001 1800 (red..the fastest color) 150,000+ miles
    Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry 3rd Battalion 1969-1975
    South Galiano V. Fire Dept -20 years (Captain)
    EX-GWRRA 350677
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...03#post3693903

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Hand Wings (the one's attached to the rear view mirrors). They were on the bike when I bought it. I added leg wings.

For me, it's about function first...but I will agree there are limits--I couldn't put the regular Air Wings on. Bought them, and then returned before installing. Just too much.

I was going to say the issue with the Hand Wings is getting them to stay at a given position at speed, but noticed while verifying I was using the right terminology that Baker has an update kit to address the stop/friction issue. This forum can be expensive!
    -Howard

'06 Titanium ABS
    Purchased 10 Sep 12 w/16K.
    Michelin Alpin PA3 ZP Run Flat (Rear), Dunlop E3 (Front)
    Added (since purchase):Windbender Windshield, Utopia Backrest, Flash2Pass, SpeedoHealer, Brake Light Modulator, Tail/Trunk Light Conversion Harness, Kisan Headlight Modulator, Bushtech hitch, Progressive Monotubes, All Balls steering head bearings, Harbor Freight "Tag Along" Trailer, Signal Dynamics Heads up Voltage Monitor, Tire-SafeGuard TPMS, +misc "Farkles"!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wings

I have had both of those shown. The Chrome World ones do NOT direct air towards you when hot. Baker does. Best of both worlds would be the Baker's in the heat and Chrome World in the cold.
    Dan Drew IBA 49343
    If 10% is enough for Jesus then it should be enough for Uncle Sam

www.truelife.org

Post Thanks / Like

Bakers, I don't care how ugly they are. they do what they are meant to do and do it well!!
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed"
    --Thomas Jefferson

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laen View Post
    Baker hand wings only
    Have you ever tried the Tulsa? Everyone always thinks that what they have is the absolute best. It's just human nature. I like the Tulsa: I like the way they look. I've never tried the others but I'm certain that the Tulsas are the best.

Jeff...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, first of all, thank you so much for everyone who took the time to vote and even more for those who shared their experience and insight. With an 84% approval/recommendation as well as the comments which support that kind of a number I took a ride over to Wingstuff and picked up a set of the Baker Hand Wings. Very nice. I went with clear to try and minimize the visual interruption, and I got the current version which has the "Open Stops" . . . which they definitely need. Installation took all of maybe 10 or 15 minutes. A quick test drive says that I made the right choice (with your guidance) . . . when the GF goes for a ride we'll (I'll) get the final ruling on this of course . . . . but in the mean time . . . . I'm a very happy camper with the selection.
    Current Bikes:
    * 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag
    * 2010 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail
    * 2003 Harley-Davidson Low Rider
    * 1971 Triumph Bonneville

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Bakers, My wing is an 03 Red. The Bakers are dark in color, great color contrast.

Mike
    2003 Wing
    2005 Bushtec
    Darkside #1091
    Michelin Primacy

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.