Jump start???
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jump start???

Seasoned Member
    Second right past the light, third house on the left. The dog is cool.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jump start???

A guy in my motel parking lot had a dead Harley battery.I considered jumping him.

I have a Gerbings cord from my battery fused in-line at 15a (15a is necessary for my Cycle Pump) + a coax - SAE adaptor (also for the pump).
    The motel owner has a set of clamps from a Battery Tender that needed the SAE connection.

Would this have worked ok? My gut said no, so I didn't offer...I think the BT clamps are real light-duty, and the adaptor may be a weak link.
    Any other reservations?
    Last edited by Justin K.; 06-09-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    Fighting for YOUR right to revise any post you don't like.
    '05 GL1800 Silver
    '87 HD FXR Low Rider
    '80 KZ750

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Default battery

The best thing to do was to grab some tools and help him check for a loose / bad connection. It that doesn't do it, give him a ride to the closest Harley shop or wally world to get a new battery.
    01 1800 / Yellow ( fastest color ) safety chrome
    Dunlop 3000GS 195x55x16 RF 32lb, Kuhmo RF 195/55/16 2nd bmt, Perelli RF 195/55/16,Michelin Alpine RF, centramatics

DS # 510

Does this tire make my butt look fat?
    May You always put your kickstand down as many times as you put it up!

Most of my life, I drank beer, rode bikes, and chased women..........the rest of it I wasted! ! !

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if I understood correctly you had one cable with an in-line 15 A fuse. Yes I believe your feelings were correct in not trying to utilize that set-up with the HD. The starter on air-cooled HD's can have a starting curent anywhere between 85-150+ Amps depending on make and model... Of course the battery on the HD would have provided some of this current but most likely you would have ended up with a blown fuse on your cable...

A possible solution would have been to connect your battery to the HD's battery and run your engine for about 5-10 minutes to try and get the HD's battery a bit of a boost (assuming the battery still has life left in it) then disconnect the cable and have the HD rider try it, but alas if the battery was dead after a run then it probably wouldn't have helped anyway...

safe riding...

e

2 down, 48 to go (or is that 50, 51 or 52, oh whatever, I need to do a lot more riding)!!!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gary4565 View Post
    The best thing to do was to grab some tools and help him check for a loose / bad connection. It that doesn't do it, give him a ride to the closest Harley shop or wally world to get a new battery.
    Connections were solid, though the terminals looked pretty bad. He said he ran that battery from new...the bike's a '99.
    He did catch a ride somewhere for a new one.
    '05 GL1800 Silver
    '87 HD FXR Low Rider
    '80 KZ750

Post Thanks / Like

Sometime with an old battery put a wire that size across the posts. Makes a good cigarette lighter. I will get red hot in seconds.

Takes a good or at least adequate sized wire to carry the battery current.
    " The GL1800 " A grand motorcycle it is. For touring,fun and to see the world there is no other like it. Big and powerful and comfortable for those cross country rides. Also perhaps the very ultimate ambassador to itself and to those who ride it and meet new friends at the many meets and activities this machine brings to the equation.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, you could do that to put a charge to his battery, but, not try to start it.
    "The worst of all fears is the fear of living.", Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

After checking the connections, if the battery had any fire at all in it and there is room in the parking lot, there's a chance you could have given him a push and he could have popped the clutch in 2nd gear. Once started, he could have found a battery somewhere. If not enough fire to activate the fuel pump and spark the plugs, he wouldn't have been any worse off from pushing the bike a few yards. My brother-in-law was told by a dealer that it took something like 30-40 miles for the alternator to recharge the battery on the Harley he had.

Anyhow, problem solved. Just a thought.

Ride safely,
    2W
    2Wheeler
    "I Won the Rat Race - 9/30/01"

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Wheeler View Post
    After checking the connections, if the battery had any fire at all in it and there is room in the parking lot, there's a chance you could have given him a push and he could have popped the clutch in 2nd gear. Once started, he could have found a battery somewhere. If not enough fire to activate the fuel pump and spark the plugs, he wouldn't have been any worse off from pushing the bike a few yards. My brother-in-law was told by a dealer that it took something like 30-40 miles for the alternator to recharge the battery on the Harley he had.

Anyhow, problem solved. Just a thought.

Ride safely,
    2W
    A push would have been a consideration, but there was no fire at all, and it would have been slightly uphill.
    My back would have seriously rebelled.
    '05 GL1800 Silver
    '87 HD FXR Low Rider
    '80 KZ750

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emcet View Post
    Well, if I understood correctly you had one cable with an in-line 15 A fuse. Yes I believe your feelings were correct in not trying to utilize that set-up with the HD. The starter on air-cooled HD's can have a starting curent anywhere between 85-150+ Amps depending on make and model... Of course the battery on the HD would have provided some of this current but most likely you would have ended up with a blown fuse on your cable...

A possible solution would have been to connect your battery to the HD's battery and run your engine for about 5-10 minutes to try and get the HD's battery a bit of a boost (assuming the battery still has life left in it) then disconnect the cable and have the HD rider try it, but alas if the battery was dead after a run then it probably wouldn't have helped anyway...

safe riding...

e
    Starting current on the 09 and above touring models is 200 amps at 68 deg F.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default jumping the battery

What do most people seem to have against a set of jumper cables?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Starting current on the 09 and above touring models is 200 amps at 68 deg F.
    That's a lot of juice...

2 down, 48 to go (or is that 50, 51 or 52, oh whatever, I need to do a lot more riding)!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmkrnh8012 View Post
    What do most people seem to have against a set of jumper cables?
    No problems with jumper cables, just that the tread mentioned what was available at the time, which was not suitable for jumping.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two pieces of 10ga. wire with a clamp on each end...does not take up much room and will get you going if need be. There only about 6ft long.

Post Thanks / Like

200 amps on a 10 gage wire - you would definitely want to be holding it with asbestos gloves when he hit the starter.

Darksider #833

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd have jumped him battery post to battery post. Don't try to bypass battery when attaching cables, or for that matter, a heavy gauge wire. About the worst that will happen is the cable or wire will burn up between the two batteries. As long as he only needed to crank it a few seconds to fire up, I doubt it would have gotten hot enough to even warm the cables. Been there done that many times, so far no problems. Trouble starts when you try to jump start someone and they have to crank it for quite a while: ie-full minute or more. Just my experience.
    2008 GL1800 Pearl White

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My bad, just reread the OP, wouldn't have worked with the light wiring at hand.
    2008 GL1800 Pearl White

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SnookWinger View Post
    200 amps on a 10 gage wire - you would definitely want to be holding it with asbestos gloves when he hit the starter.
    Just hook on and let it charge..have never held it while starting. Yes it does get hot but years ago I learned to not touch things that might burn.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.