Dreading what they are going to do to my street!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dreading what they are going to do to my street!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dreading what they are going to do to my street!

I don't know if they do this in your area but in recent years instead of repaving local side streets, they lay a thick layer of pea gravel on the road and let the residents work that in. I have ran across it unexpectedly and for that first week or so, it is super unstable to ride in, especially turning. We live in a cul du sac and there are only a handful of residents here so not a lot of traffic to work that gravel in.
    --
    Jeff
    Twin Cities, MN
    '08 1800, Pearl White, Level 3
    Last, '01 Kaw Nomad 1500FI
    '02 Honda Sabre, sold 5/13

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MN-Winger View Post
    I don't know if they do this in your area but in recent years instead of repaving local side streets, they lay a thick layer of pea gravel on the road and let the residents work that in. I have ran across it unexpectedly and for that first week or so, it is super unstable to ride in, especially turning. We live in a cul du sac and there are only a handful of residents here so not a lot of traffic to work that gravel in.
    They do the tar and chip treatment on many roads down here. Spray a coating of asphalt down, then a layer of crushed granite. The crushed rock has sharp edges that is tough on tires, and even after it is run in and all the loose stuff is off the road, it is still rough and noisy to ride on. Depending on traffic it can take a month or more until there is no loose stuff on the road. Overall a real PITA.
    Paul & Jodi
    Lake Caroline VA
    2000 Concours #1 Killed a Deer 2000 Concours #2 Sold for downpayment on Wing
    2008 White Goldwing
    Full Traxxion Mega Monte
    DS# 905

Seasoned Member Texas Black Bird's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite common here in TX... Keeps you on your toes.

"The 'Wing is my wife's bike - I'm just the driver."

"It's a motorcycle, not a lifestyle."

Some Pics. ... Trip'n with Tom

Texas Blue -Tom Lowry
    ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry
    05 R1200GS Yup!...
    02 GL1800A Hers!
    05 DR650SE When the going gets tough...

Please Press '1' for English.
    Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English

Post Thanks / Like

They don't use pea gravel in my neck of the woods, they used to do the chip seal. As was stated above, sharp edges and hard on tires. The last couple years the state of California has been doing alot of capping with asphalt. I'm sure not complaining about the roads that they repave, very nice. Paying for it with all that printed money though.
    KEN.....................Duct tape can't fix stupid.....but it sure can muffle the sound.

2003 GL1800 Durango Red
    2000 Champion Colorado trailer
    1981 Yamaha XT 250 bought new, still have
    1967 Honda scrambler 90 bought new, still have
    1976 Honda CB750K bought new, wish I still had
    GWRRA http://www.hondagw1800.com/contactlist.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

It will be a little tricky for awhile, but in the long run is cost effective.
    John

2001 GL1800 base

IBA # 25535

"Could you explain that to me as if I we're a particulary gifted child or a golden retriever?"

Post Thanks / Like

The do it here in Arkansas as well...People won't slow down in the temp posted zones and it's hell on windshields. Be careful and watch the turns for a month or so.
    Silly Rabbit…Trix are for Kids.

KTM Super Duke R - MotoHooliganized

www.superduke.net
    US Navy 69-73
    FASOTRAGRUPAC - SERE Instructor
    USS Chicago CG-11

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what's worse, chip sealing or streets whose condition is like the Road of Bones. That seems to be the choice in my neighborhood once the frost heaves have done their damage (i.e., some are too bad to chip seal but not enough money to fix properly).

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Be very careful!!
    DS #343

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It's even worse here, there leaving the road alone and taking away my meadow and gonna build houses... bummer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jburd View Post
    It will be a little tricky for awhile, but in the long run is cost effective.
    Yes, it's COST EFFECTIVE for the state, local jurisdiction or who's ever in charge of that operation. They really don't give a rats a$$ about the people, the tires, the floating gravel pieces that get picked up and lodged in tires only to be thrown out at higher speeds into windshields and chip up the paint on hood edges and grill, bumpers etc. They "The government" states that it's a "longevity" thing. It lasts a lot longer than standard paving does. The reason, you're driving on "Rocks" not sand and oil with a glue in it.

Well, we too live on a cul-de-sac and, there was no reason in hell that they needed to do it. The pavement was flawless that was already there. But, after a few phone calls, I finally got to a high enough supervisor who stated that the "computer" said it was time for a coating on the road and that no one had actually sent an inspector out to see what condition the existing pavement was in. They simply ordered up the "Crap" coating based on the computer telling them to. Great system huh? They hadn't started just yet and that supervisor came out for a look. He was a bit embarrassed. He said there's no way our road needed any coating or maintenance but, THE GEARS WERE IN MOTION and there was nothing he could do about the install of the chip coat.

Our neighbors were so pissed. They had kids falling off bikes, kids running and slipping and falling because the "glue" did not hold the chips. We all called again and, they came out and re-coated the entire street again.

Since that coating, our street has been recoated with a rubber/asphalt/micro chip high tech coating that, while seriously better, is not the smooth pavement it was when we moved in 19 years ago. Oh well. That's our government for you.
    Scott
    I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it

Scott & Karla
    Dark Sider 556
    KI6OND 73s
    Ramona, CA
    '08 Level II Caliente Red Metallic
    '02 Level I Stream Silver Metallic GW 1800
    '94 Glacier Pearl White SE GL 1500
    '85 1200 Aspencade
    '84 1200 Interstate
    RETIRED, 29.5 YEARS, SDFD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pea Gravel Road

Jeff,
    Find out what agency is doing the gravel. Explain your situation and see if they can make some passes with a rubber tire roller or even better a vibrating roller and this will go a long way to improving your motorcycle travels. If all else fails a case of beer to the site foreman may get you what you need!

Post Thanks / Like

In my area they use to tar and chip, now they tar and use ground mill slag. you wouldn't want to go down on it, roads are like 00 grit sand paper. The mill slag edges are very sharp and never round over.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

chip seal seems to work very good around here
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

Post Thanks / Like

Near me is a 1/4 mile stretch that has crushed glass in it. Man does that make the tires sing. And it sparkles in the head lights.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a 80-90 degree bend, marked at 40 mph (most folks are going faster) in the road I take to work. There is a gravel quarry nearby and the dump trucks always seem to leave stuff in that corner. In the early morning it blends in and you don't see it until you are slipping around on it. I did that one day with the wife on the back and she mentioned she noticed the loss in traction (usually she doesn't complain about my riding style).

I have learned to come up on that corner on the inside (at the apex as they say) which gives me room to slip to the outside if necessary. I also take it rather upright so I don't low side.

This company leaves this pea gravel in the road about 2-3 times a month...unacceptable!

As for the roads in Florida they used crushed sea shell. Since it is a living organism it still gets slimy when it rains and that is some slip sliding fun too so be aware when visiting near our coastal cities. Cheap stuff for the road crews to get however.
    Last edited by biggersm; 07-01-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here they lay down tar strips (tar snakes) to keep us on our toes until it gets really bad then "chip seal" or resurface with the grinder. All so much fun.

2004 GL1800
    2004 Bushtec Quantum GL Sport
    154,000 miles of smiles...all mine or ours!
    MSF RiderCoach ID #134890

Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat...if only it was that easy.

Post Thanks / Like

They did that to all of the side roads in my area several years back. After it is all worked in, we have some pretty nice roads.
    <font size=3><font color=#333333><span style=font-family: Verdana>If you don't watch the news or read the newspaper, you're uninformed; if you do.... you're misinformed.</span></font></font>

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They just started a new type of crack sealing in our area. They fill the cracks with a tar type sealant and then spread "black beauty silica" over it. It is very slippery when first applied. I complained to the DPW and it was swept up the next day. Apparently they had planned on leaving it down a few more days. Glad they were responsive and swept it up.
    Coop

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gravel and tar snakes suck!!! ride safe out there kiddos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MN-Winger View Post
    What a joke. The skiny wing wheels Will never like pea rock . You would be better on road base crushed rock

You are hereby officially PROWLER #83.

Post Thanks / Like

Chip and seal has been used in our area for quite some time with great results. I didn't see it mentioned in any of the previous posts but when the town does it here the company that does the chip and seal uses small limestone on top of the tar and then they roll it in using a large heavy pavement roller. When they are done which is rather quickly, there isn't any loose stone, no tar or anything to cause concern for drivers, bike or cage.
    I think it's a wise use of my tax dollars - imho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
    Chip and seal has been used in our area for quite some time with great results. I didn't see it mentioned in any of the previous posts but when the town does it here the company that does the chip and seal uses small limestone on top of the tar and then they roll it in using a large heavy pavement roller. When they are done which is rather quickly, there isn't any loose stone, no tar or anything to cause concern for drivers, bike or cage.
    I think it's a wise use of my tax dollars - imho

The process you mention above seems like it makes sense, but most places don't roll it with a pavement roller, they just let it sit until cars work it in, and rain and wind washes the rest of it to the shoulder. It's terrible when it first gets laid down. Here in MD, it's only done in really rural areas that I've seen, and they put up signs that say "Fresh Oil".
    Double Darksider # 417

Rear Michelin Pilot Sport... 130/70/18 Front
    Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 ....195/55/R16 87V Rear

Post Thanks / Like

You city people are funny.
    2010 Goldwing 1970 383cu 4-speed Cuda 2012 Harley FatBoy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."Holy Cow!! What a ride!!"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate the crap when I'm out riding and turn into a road with pea gravel for miles.

Also you guys that have it on your road/street in front of your homes, it gets into your lawn and settles in your grass.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.