Pros & cons of towing boat with 1800?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros & cons of towing boat with 1800?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pros & cons of towing boat with 1800?

Shopping around for a trailer to stow gear and found they all come in at least about 200/350 lbs and cost $thousands$ and dont store that much; so came up with this approach. why not tow a boat? Bought brand new aluminum jetski trailer, brand new Honda 3.2 outboard motor and a used Sears 12' rowboat. Tossed a 120 gallon storage box in boat for gear and covered all with boat cover. Total weight before adding fishing & camping gear under 275 lbs: cost under $2,000. Since the Wing is outfitted with a Towpac with a 5 ft wheelbase I feel pretty safe underway but have to allow more space between car ahead of me. Gave it a go on the interstate & it towed AOK @ 65mph. Dont know how this is going to work out on a boat ramp with only one drive wheel, so made up portable wheels so i can roll it into the water. What Say You?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wing & boat 005.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	88601  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

On the one hand, you get props for being very original.

On the other, I've done a lot of boat towing (behind my truck) and have found that boats don't pull that great as they are pretty high off the ground and the covers are horrible about catching wind and crosswinds.

I think pulling that in a heavy crosswind would be very difficult and not a lot of fun. If you were only going short distances or lower speeds, you'd probably be fine, but I wouldn't take off cross country pulling one.
    ----------------
    2013 GL1800 ABS
    2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track)
    2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
    2012 Niner Air 9
    2013 Specialized Roubaix
    "Street or Dirt, Motor or Pedal, riding 2 wheels is fun"

Post Thanks / Like

I would suppose as long as the weight were kept in check, (with all that room, it would be easy to overload), I think it works with a trike. I don't think I would try it with a two-wheeler, although I pulled a log splitter once, (not very far).
    KEN.....................Duct tape can't fix stupid.....but it sure can muffle the sound.

2003 GL1800 Durango Red
    2000 Champion Colorado trailer
    1981 Yamaha XT 250 bought new, still have
    1967 Honda scrambler 90 bought new, still have
    1976 Honda CB750K bought new, wish I still had
    GWRRA http://www.hondagw1800.com/contactlist.pdf

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also be leery of high speed long trips; no real concern about lower speed short trips. Maybe smaller cooler just bunged/ tied in boat without the "wrapping". Otoh, it may work great. I'd be cautious until I had some towing miles behind me.
    DS #343

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pros: None.
    Cons: You might get yourself killed.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't see why not.
    Just watch the weight distribution and keep 15-25% on the tongue.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Fouquette View Post
    But other than that, do you anything wrong?

Glen
    Glockjock

2006 Titanium GL 1800, ABS
    2008 Tailwind trailer
    IBA #33072
    Darksider #163
    Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy Member #1
    RAT PACK 2013

I ride too fast, too far, and too often to ride anything but a Goldwing rolling on a car tire pulling a Tailwind trailer because friends don't let friends vote Democrat.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny...that's pretty much what my Dad says about riding motorcycles at all.

I realize the OP asked for our opinions so I don't think your's is out of line at all, but Im also glad we live in a country where we can weigh the pro's and con's ourselves and make our own decisions.
    ----------------
    2013 GL1800 ABS
    2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track)
    2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
    2012 Niner Air 9
    2013 Specialized Roubaix
    "Street or Dirt, Motor or Pedal, riding 2 wheels is fun"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rick1800 View Post
    Shopping around for a trailer to stow gear and found they all come in at least about 200/350 lbs and cost $thousands$ and dont store that much; so came up with this approach. why not tow a boat? Bought brand new aluminum jetski trailer, brand new Honda 3.2 outboard motor and a used Sears 12' rowboat. Tossed a 120 gallon storage box in boat for gear and covered all with boat cover. Total weight before adding fishing & camping gear under 275 lbs: cost under $2,000. Since the Wing is outfitted with a Towpac with a 5 ft wheelbase I feel pretty safe underway but have to allow more space between car ahead of me. Gave it a go on the interstate & it towed AOK @ 65mph. Dont know how this is going to work out on a boat ramp with only one drive wheel, so made up portable wheels so i can roll it into the water. What Say You?
    Quote Originally Posted by flyerq68 View Post
    I would suppose as long as the weight were kept in check, (with all that room, it would be easy to overload), I think it works with a trike. I don't think I would try it with a two-wheeler, although I pulled a log splitter once, (not very far).

I think it's really a four wheeler with a single wheel drive, the side wheels were added to the Wing leaving the Wing basically intact.
    Last edited by Wing One; 07-08-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S Tricolore

06 Wing ABS, Dark Red, Fully Traxxionized

Post Thanks / Like

Sir, I can summarize this thread up in three words....DON'T DO IT !! I learned the hard way pulling a too large camping trailer behind a Wing can start oscillations with the trailer swinging from side to side. This WILL dump you on your keester.....guaranteed !! When the load is TOO large, balancing the tongue weight doesn't help....

Small trailer designed to tow behind a motorcycle work very well. I've done if across the continent several times. But they are weight balanced to the Wing.

A bloody boat is a sail behind you designed to catch a crosswind and dump you on your butt. Road rash hurts....

At the risk of repeating myself....DON'T DO IT...it isn't worth the risk (but every man to his own poison....)
    There are only three things in life that are certain - death, taxes, and poorly thought out gun laws !
    There are also three kinds of people in this world - those who make things happen; those who watch things happen, and those who don't have a clue what happened !

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wing One View Post
    I think it's really a four wheeler with a single wheel drive, the side wheels were added to the Wing leaving the Wing basically intact.
    You are correct Walter, after looking at the pic again, it is a bike with outriggers. But my point refers to the stability of pulling a high profile trailer with a trike (or outriggers), as opposed to a bike. Although, this version would not have the extra braking like a true trike. As has been said already, don't think I would pull it down the intersate.
    KEN.....................Duct tape can't fix stupid.....but it sure can muffle the sound.

2003 GL1800 Durango Red
    2000 Champion Colorado trailer
    1981 Yamaha XT 250 bought new, still have
    1967 Honda scrambler 90 bought new, still have
    1976 Honda CB750K bought new, wish I still had
    GWRRA http://www.hondagw1800.com/contactlist.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyerq68 View Post
    You are correct Walter, after looking at the pic again, it is a bike with outriggers. But my point refers to the stability of pulling a high profile trailer with a trike (or outriggers), as opposed to a bike. Although, this version would not have the extra braking like a true trike. As has been said already, don't think I would pull it down the intersate.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Pros: You can fish and ride on the same trip.

Cons: I have to agree with the side wind issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Would make me a little nervous backing into the water ... especially if the ramp is very steep. But a little adventure is what keeps us young ... right!!
    Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2008
    Michelin Primacy Alpin AP3 ZP 195/55/16 35 PSI
    Traxxionized by Paul Bihm
    Darkside #623 - 120,000 miles and counting
    IBA # 42128

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have experience pulling a trailer with a bike but one thing I can see happening is the outriggers holding your rear tire up enough so you can't get traction on a boat ramp. I used to drive for a propane company & the truck I drove came with a lift axle behind the drive axle. I was making a delivery on a dirt road to a place with a steep driveway & backing in the lift axle picked the drive tires off the road to where I had to have a wrecker come & pull the front end around because I was blocking the road & couldn't move. Had it not had the unpowered lift axle I would have made the delivery & been down the road, can see a similar scenario happening with your setup

Darkside #750

Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195-55-16 ROF @28 PSI
    Bridgestone 709 Front @ 36 psi
    Centramatics
    F4+4 with vent
    Baker Wings full monte

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pros & Cons on towing boat with 1800.

Thanks guys for your opinions and pointers. Going to lower boat on trailer by 3 inches and reduce height of storage box from 24 inches to 12 inches which give a lower center of gravity. Also looking into same lightweight trailer but with surge brakes rather than electric brakes. as they are "Brakes for Dummies" who may not have time to activate electric brake switch. As to the contributors who thinks I am go to get killed: I am 75 and have survived 56 years of Lake Michigan boating, 49 years of biking, 8 years of cancer one attempt on my life. My personal adage "would rather die on a bike than in a bed".

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for your opinions and pointers. Going to lower boat on trailer by 3 inches and reduce height of storage box from 24 inches to 12 inches which give a lower center of gravity. Also looking into same lightweight trailer but with surge brakes rather than electric brakes. as they are "Brakes for Dummies" who may not have time to activate electric brake switch. As to the contributors who thinks I am go to get killed: I am 75 and have survived 56 years of Lake Michigan boating, 49 years of biking, 8 years of cancer one attempt on my life. My personal adage "would rather die on a bike than in a bed".

Welcome to the board and congratulations, hope to still be riding if I ever reach your age but thought it.

I like to Kidd around, so don't take everything I post too serious, this is in reference to my post above.
    Last edited by Wing One; 07-08-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not do it.

You are hereby officially PROWLER #83.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rick -- since you asked, and this is only my uneducated opinion, but I've never liked the idea of towing anything behind a bike. I know LOTS of folks do with NO problems. But seems to me if the s**t hits the fan, you don't want to be towing anything. Just seems a trailer would severely compromise the bike's comprehensive handling. But again, never done it so I could be totally wrong. And honestly, I'm not even thrilled about riding with a passenger for that reason. (There might be other reasons for leaving my wife at home, too...)

But I do like your style!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Bob Evans
    Indiana Dunes
    (~Chesterton, IN)

Post Thanks / Like

been known to tow a few things, local though..20 miles one way tops on the heavy stuff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	322.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	88634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	221.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	88635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	440.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	88636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	907.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	88637  
    Last edited by BIG AL 57; 07-08-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    Birds of a feather flock together

Halogen headlights suck!
    Prowler #13
    Darksider #707
    Want to play a game of f.ck off?! You go first

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wing One View Post
    So...that is where most of my stupid ideas originate? I'll never hold in another ONE! Too funny.
    Retired, love my bride, camping
    and riding the Wing
    08 GW
    Central Kentucky

Post Thanks / Like

NO

Post Thanks / Like

What Say You?
    Lemme see:

A bastardized four wheel Gold Wing contraption towing a boat with (apparently) a CG about four feet off the ground.

I'm guessing of the six wheels only two have brakes?

Would really like to see a panic stop at about 65mph just for grins....

What could possibly go wrong?
    ​Rob in Maine
    IBA # 17985

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Then I take it you know better than to tow a boat with a cover on it. The covers for when it's sitting parked not for when it's being towed.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

what ever floats your boat..

Post Thanks / Like

I think what would worry me would be the dynamic load that the boat would generate when underway (on the road). A boat hull is designed to work in a fluid . . . and air has fluidic properties; particularly at higher velocities. You will notice that even Cars, Trucks and some Buildings (or large parts of them anyway) will become airborne when the air velocity is high enough. A boat hull is designed to be lifted, by the bow when under way . . . also known as going up on plane. The last thing I'd want is a boat . . . on a trailer . . . trying to get up on plane . . . . as will happen . . . . when I'm trying to tow it with a motorcycle. A car, even a small one will break the air flow in front of the boat . . . unlike a Goldwing. Which I mention with all due respect to the sport bike types who may believe that Wings are synonymous with Barn Doors. In any case I suspect that Darwin will have the last word in this adventure!
    Current Bikes:
    * 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag
    * 2010 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail
    * 2003 Harley-Davidson Low Rider
    * 1971 Triumph Bonneville

Post Thanks / Like

Can you see past the boat in the mirrors on the bike? I kind of like to see what's behind me.
    Robert Neal
    Kathy
    81 CB 750 Honda Custom (Sold) --- 84 Gl 1200 Goldwing Interstate --- 88 GL 1500 Goldwing
    06 Titanium Wing
    07 Lehman Trike kit (Second Childhood)
    Cyclemate 2000 LTD Black Trailer with a
    "HOOKED UP AND RUNNING" sign on the back.
    When you find yourself in the ditch Ezzz off on the throttle shift down two gears and GAS it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.