Pacific Coast Highway RIde
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pacific Coast Highway RIde

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pacific Coast Highway RIde

I live in LA and am planning to take PCH North as far as I can with total of 14 days round trip. For those that have done this should I take same route round trip? where are some of the nice places you have stopped or stayed?Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Well, with 14 days, I am assuming you are going Hwy 1 all the way to Washington. Some of the best riding anywhere. You didn't mention if you were camping or staying in a motel. lots of state parks along the way but this is peak season, so they fill up fast. Motels can be pricey along the coast, but if you don't stay in Monterey of San Francisco, they are more reasonable. The best parts of the ride are between Morro bay and Monterey, which includes Big Sur. Then north of San Francisco on up. The entire coast of Oregon and Washington are fantastic. As far as round trip, if you have the time, why not. It beats that boring slab I-5.
    Last edited by flyerq68; 07-14-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    KEN.....................Duct tape can't fix stupid.....but it sure can muffle the sound.

2003 GL1800 Durango Red
    2000 Champion Colorado trailer
    1981 Yamaha XT 250 bought new, still have
    1967 Honda scrambler 90 bought new, still have
    1976 Honda CB750K bought new, wish I still had
    GWRRA http://www.hondagw1800.com/contactlist.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

When you say "as far as I can", do you mean as far as the road goes, or as far as time allows?

Like any road, there are a variety of changing vistas in both directions! If you have 14 days and plan to go to the CA/OR border, I'd suggest taking something like 9 days going up on Hwy 1 and 5 says coming back mostly on 101.
    there are so many places where you can travel through the hills between 1 & 101, especially north of Bodega Bay. Hwy 128 & Hwy 20 (before 1 & 101 merge at Leggett) are beautiful. Take as much tike as you can in the Redwoods, watch the Tule Elk at Prairie Creek, eat at the Samoa Cookhouse north of Eureka, stop lots to soak in the mind-blowing beauty of Del Norte, enjoy the harbor at Crescent City (sometimes called The Tsunami Magnet).
    Then, either continue up the Oregon Coast to Florence (as far as I've gone on 1/101) or begin the trek south, riding 299 to Weaverville or Shasta (and back the next day?)...

Dayum, the road is calling!

Keep in mind that, if you are planning on doing this before Labor Day, a good plan and reservations are strongly advised.

Enjoy!
    B. Gross
    IBA #57164
    '02 GL1800ABS "Rose"
    '03 FJR "Lucille"

"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"Be Polite. Be Professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet." - General James N. Mattis, USMC

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." ~ Linji Yixuan

Darksider # 764
    Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP ~ "You'll shoot your eye out, kid."
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich." ~ Warren Zevon

Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing this same trip in 2ws --- in 5 days (1 way)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Level 2 NAVI

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyerq68 View Post
    Well, with 14 days, I am assuming you are going Hwy 1 all the way to Washington. Some of the best riding anywhere. You didn't mention if you were camping or staying in a motel. lots of state parks along the way but this is peak season, so they fill up fast. Motels can be pricey along the coast, but if you don't stay in Monterey of San Francisco, they are more reasonable. The best parts of the ride are between Morro bay and Monterey, which includes Big Sur. Then north of San Francisco on up. The entire coast of Oregon and Washington are fantastic.
    wrong
    The highway goes all the way up to Lund BC
    "Great Ride"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccsailor View Post
    wrong
    The highway goes all the way up to Lund BC
    "Great Ride"
    Just taking his time frame into account. I could spent 14 days in Oregon alone. I agree with bgross, the Samoa cookhouse is not to be missed.
    KEN.....................Duct tape can't fix stupid.....but it sure can muffle the sound.

2003 GL1800 Durango Red

Post Thanks / Like

it is on my Bucket List. Hope you enjoy your trip.

2005 GL1800
    Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.
    USMC 1962-1966

Post Thanks / Like

14 days should allow you plenty of time for exploring sites and road recommendations. We've ridden North and South several times including all the way to Victoria, BC and the ferry ride to and from the mainland. It does not disappoint, the road between Fort Bragg and Leggitt is a must ride both ways, the lost coast portion of the California cost that you may have heard about is best left to adventure touring bikes so I suggest staying on 101 and perhaps making a side trip through some of the redwood sections around Garberville and Eureka. Don't have my map out but there are so many scenic roads that need to be explored in that area so make sure you follow the green dots whenever possible. Ride Safe and be prepared for cooler temperatures and foggy mornings followed by sunshine afternoon.

2004 GL1800
    2004 Bushtec Quantum GL Sport
    154,000 miles of smiles...all mine or ours!
    MSF RiderCoach ID #134890

Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat...if only it was that easy.

Post Thanks / Like

if camping oregon has fantastic parks all up the coast - check out old towne - can see the seals at the dock n fishing village/ restaurants are great - also in tillamook is dairy / cheese factory n little north of them is smoke house for all there jerky- 2 ft stick for $1- state park sand dunes also - have a great trip
    LIFE AINT ALWAYS BEAUTIFUL - BUT IT'S A BEAUTIFUL RIDE PROWLER # 62 DS #683 DUNNIE (1)3000 -18,500MILES (2 )5000 -27,000 MILES -GOT ALPIN 3 -23,500 - WANLI RF (16,300)-BT45 FRONT - YOKOHOMA ENVIGOR 195/55/16 RF - 2005 JUST TURNED 100,000 MILES

Post Thanks / Like

We went north on PCH from Thousand Oaks as far as Reedsport and then took 38 over to I-5 and north to Blaine. If we could have, we would have circled over to Bend, 97 down to Klamath, probably 39 over to 395 and gone down to Yosemite. Yosemite was the only thing in California we didn't get to see (that we wanted to see) and this route would have done it for us.

Having said that, a lot of folks talk about PCH being better southbound. In that case, I'd reverse the previous paragraph.

Short answer - why do both ways only on PCH when there are other good choices for great variety?
    2008 Red GW1800
    NRA Life Member
    American Legion PUFL
    American Legion Riders
    GWRRA member
    First and last - USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
    http://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/ US Four Corner Ride
    http://mid-states.blogspot.com/ 2014 Mid-States Ride

Post Thanks / Like

I am doing a Hotel and camping combo. I figure 14 nights is too many without a good hot shower, bed and TV. But love to camp also. I have Bushtec trailer that will help with camping stuff. I went up to Eureka with my Honda VTX 1300 5 years ago, it took me 4 days to get to Eureka and I was tired and feeling pain which I won't have with the Goldwing but still think I won't be riding all of 14 days. As the 5 Fwy I will stay away from as Two years ago I came back with the Goldwing on FWY 5 from San Fransisco in 105* weather. that was not fun at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m45mcdan View Post
    14 days should allow you plenty of time for exploring sites and road recommendations. We've ridden North and South several times including all the way to Victoria, BC and the ferry ride to and from the mainland. It does not disappoint, the road between Fort Bragg and Leggitt is a must ride both ways, the lost coast portion of the California cost that you may have heard about is best left to adventure touring bikes so I suggest staying on 101 and perhaps making a side trip through some of the redwood sections around Garberville and Eureka. Don't have my map out but there are so many scenic roads that need to be explored in that area so make sure you follow the green dots whenever possible. Ride Safe and be prepared for cooler temperatures and foggy mornings followed by sunshine afternoon.
    What are green dots to follow?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clayusmcret View Post
    We went north on PCH from Thousand Oaks as far as Reedsport and then took 38 over to I-5 and north to Blaine. If we could have, we would have circled over to Bend, 97 down to Klamath, probably 39 over to 395 and gone down to Yosemite. Yosemite was the only thing in California we didn't get to see (that we wanted to see) and this route would have done it for us.

Having said that, a lot of folks talk about PCH being better southbound. In that case, I'd reverse the previous paragraph.

Short answer - why do both ways only on PCH when there are other good choices for great variety?
    You are right, don't know what I was thinking. what better road than PCH to do both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bgross View Post
    When you say "as far as I can", do you mean as far as the road goes, or as far as time allows?

Like any road, there are a variety of changing vistas in both directions! If you have 14 days and plan to go to the CA/OR border, I'd suggest taking something like 9 days going up on Hwy 1 and 5 says coming back mostly on 101.
    there are so many places where you can travel through the hills between 1 & 101, especially north of Bodega Bay. Hwy 128 & Hwy 20 (before 1 & 101 merge at Leggett) are beautiful. Take as much tike as you can in the Redwoods, watch the Tule Elk at Prairie Creek, eat at the Samoa Cookhouse north of Eureka, stop lots to soak in the mind-blowing beauty of Del Norte, enjoy the harbor at Crescent City (sometimes called The Tsunami Magnet).
    Then, either continue up the Oregon Coast to Florence (as far as I've gone on 1/101) or begin the trek south, riding 299 to Weaverville or Shasta (and back the next day?)...

Dayum, the road is calling!

Keep in mind that, if you are planning on doing this before Labor Day, a good plan and reservations are strongly advised.

Enjoy!
    thanks. I looked up the Samoa and will visit there for sure.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLAX View Post
    thanks. I looked up the Samoa and will visit there for sure.
    Just did the Samoa Cookhouse on 7/2. Yummy and LOTS of food!

Then went up to Gold Beach, OR and took the short trip (group consensus, I would have sprung for the long one) on Jerry's Jet Boats http://www.roguejets.com/ Had a blast and saw some wildlife including eagle (nesting and fishing) and osprey.

Last September, went with another group to Bellingham, WA and took the ferry out to the first of the San Juan Islands (Beautiful!) and then rode back down to San Francisco over the next 4 days. Got wet for a whole day while in WA (they claimed it wasn't raining).

Ridden Highway 1 from Eureka to Stinson Beach several times and explored many of the side roads. Still find something new every time. As you get closer to SF, weekdays are better as far as traffic and bicycles.

Have to stop at the Roadhouse in Gualala for BBQ!

Jennifer
    Darksider # 1387
    Dixon, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLAX View Post
    What are green dots to follow?
    Scenic byway designations on maps.

2003 GL1800 Durango Red

Post Thanks / Like

The ride up the PCH is well worth the time, the ride along the Northern California coast is awesome all by its self but don't just stop there take the ride all the way to the Olympic National Park. You can then follow it over to Port Angeles and then down to Shelton and reconnect up with it at Aberdeen, WA., then take it back south. There are plenty of places to camp and motels to stay in on the way. I've always like staying in the little Mom and Pop Motels on our travels.

Once you cross over the Astoria-Megler Bridge take the left and go into Long Beach, WA, it's a little touristy but fun.

Vietnam Veteran 68-70 (9th Infantry Division)
    Member of MOPH (Military Order of the Purple Heart)
    GWTA Oregon Chapter A

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

With 14 dys... how about going up on the 395 past Mt Whitney, June Lake, Lee Vining, and up to Yosemite? You could continue to Lake Tahoe then cross over to the coast and Northward. Return run could go down PCH and Big Sur. That would make a nice scenic loop.
    However I cannot disagree with both ways up and down PCH. 60 miles North of San Fran gets really beautiful through CalY and Oregon, Washington..

Corventure Dave
    Extremely Inquisitive

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face pch

Quote Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
    The ride up the PCH is well worth the time, the ride along the Northern California coast is awesome all by its self but don't just stop there take the ride all the way to the Olympic National Park. You can then follow it over to Port Angeles and then down to Shelton and reconnect up with it at Aberdeen, WA., then take it back south. There are plenty of places to camp and motels to stay in on the way. I've always like staying in the little Mom and Pop Motels on our travels.

Once you cross over the Astoria-Megler Bridge take the left and go into Long Beach, WA, it's a little touristy but fun.
    you will love the bay area. make sure you detour to alices resturant in bay area. nice ride up the hill through the mountains, and lots of bike of the weekends. also stay on highway one through devils slide, just reopen with a tunnel through the mountain, and stop and eat at gorilla bbq on highway 1, in pacifica. alot of food. so have your apetite. have a good ride

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corventure View Post
    With 14 dys... how about going up on the 395 past Mt Whitney, June Lake, Lee Vining, and up to Yosemite? You could continue to Lake Tahoe then cross over to the coast and Northward. Return run could go down PCH and Big Sur. That would make a nice scenic loop.
    However I cannot disagree with both ways up and down PCH. 60 miles North of San Fran gets really beautiful through CalY and Oregon, Washington..

Corventure Dave
    +1

The Orygun coast -- particularly just north of the CA border -- can be a slow ride. I'd do it one way, but not necessarily both directions.

The roadway conditions on the coast highway can be a bit dicey, as well. Like sections in California, the roadway pavement is slipping down towards the ocean because of the hillside slope and geology, so, it can be an uncomfortably bumpy ride at times. The prevailing winds, in my experience, are out of the north -- and can make a a northbound trip a little bumpy, as well, as you ride around a corner into a strong headwind.
    Ms. K A "Daylight" Langley
    Marine Mom
    2008 Dk Met. Red "Flame" NAV/AUDIO/COMF/ABS
    Women on Wheels' mileage contest
    (1 Apr to 1 Nov) winner:
    1400cc+ category: 2nd place
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
    IBA34190:MT-1000/24, MT-1500/36,
    BBG 1500/24 and SS2000/48
    B2B2B Insanity (16th certified by IBA
    WA-1000, 2012 Shoalmire 1000

http://goo.gl/maps/LnnQ

Daylight's first IBA LD ride
    http://goo.gl/maps/YpZ1

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at American best value in redding cal and aberdeen washington. they are hotels that have been delisted from best western and other chains or the owners have decided not to meet the crazy standards that some chains place on their hotels. you want to use their name you must do this. some feel it is not worth the price but they are just as good. lots of mom and pop places are good. i usually find the tourist information office, go in and ask what motel or hotel they would stay at if the had to in their own home town. if you want b and b's try this web site. airbnb.com. it lists b and b in the places where you want to stay used it for staying in san fran.
    You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist's office
    Less Is More Non Chrome Society #1'000'000
    2003 Metallic Silver Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken the Highway from the Mexican border all the way to Lund, BC, and it is definitely a bucket list trip. Especially this time of year. Some quick thoughts (there's just too much to cover here):

-From San Luis Obispo to Santa Cruz - great scenery but especially crowded. I was glad to get past San Francisco.
    -Take a 2 hour side trip to Shelter Cove.
    -The scenery really becomes epic north of Eureka all the way to the Columbia river.
    -Be sure to get off Hwy 101 and take the small local coastal roads (especially in Bandon, Oregon). Nice beachfront motels too.
    -Take the side roads over to Cape Arago and Sunset Bay.
    -Captain's Choice fish house for a great lunch/dinner in North Bend Oregon on Virginia, Ave.
    -Don't miss Fort Stevens State Park at the mouth of the Columbia.
    -Washington State coastline is a bit disappointing as it's tough to see the beach as the highway is in the trees and there are many private property's between the road and the coast.

With 14 days be sure to make lots of stops. Have fun!
    John
    ------
    2007 Goldwing ABS

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out the ultimate California Motorcycle roads guide. Pashnit.com

Ride safe,
    Rich

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Really

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke View Post
    i usually find the tourist information office, go in and ask what motel or hotel they would stay at if the had to in their own home town.
    Interesting. I'd rather know where they party, if they know what the best motel is in their home town.

Richard
    DS#809

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As you get to Santa Cruz, take highway 9 to Highway 35 (Skyline), turn left and head north for beautiful scenic views of Pacifuc Ocean on your left and SF bay area on your right. A stop at Alices restaurant, then continue north to 92. A left turn runs you thru Half Moon Bay and back to highway 1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwalls1500 View Post
    As you get to Santa Cruz, take highway 9 to Highway 35 (Skyline), turn left and head north for beautiful scenic views of Pacifuc Ocean on your left and SF bay area on your right. A stop at Alices restaurant, then continue north to 92. A left turn runs you thru Half Moon Bay and back to highway 1
    I agree with skyline and that stop at at Alices. I just discovered it on a trip last month to Big basin redwoods . Great place.
    I live on Morro Bay (and like you guys that get to do the Dragon in the east) I get to ride highway 1 to carmel and Monterey just for a lunch run! I know it tuff living here but what can i say.

My only argument about not running up and down the same route is those inland routes in july or august is it gets damn hot! Plan on running in temps over 100deg. Now with the discovery of Ld Comfort skivies that probably wont be a problem anymore for me. Our mode of operation was to run up the coast for lunch and dilly dally aound till dark and run back down 101.

We have done hwy 1 many time all the way to washington and canada and believe it or not the same ole beautiful ( and foggy) scenery can get boring by the time we got to washington so several times we have moved over to hwy 5 in washington and were surprised with how pretty and tree lined it is up there too. Highway 5 in california is a dusty hell hole most of the way.

Jack in Los Osos, Ca (On California's Central coast)
    2012 Blue goldwing Level 3
    Front G709 41 psi
    Darkside #1546 Alpin ZP 31 psi

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.