How do you prepare / Endurance training for LD
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you prepare / Endurance training for LD

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you prepare / Endurance training for LD

I've got my first major LD trip on the Wing coming up next week - riding by myself from TX to CA, and then with my buddy from CA up the coast to WA, and then by myself from WA through CO to TX. To save time I will be taking highways when riding just by myself, although I will be spending 2-3 nights in CO (Aspen, Estes Park, Denver) and hit all the twisties and take it easy those days.

I have done four 400-500mi days last year in Oct on my first bike, a Vulcan 900 which was WAY less comfortable than the Wing, and heck I survived that. So I figure with the right mindset, proper preparation, endurance training beforehand, I can do this. Despite a lot of negative feedback and scare tactics from (some) friends & family.

How do you prepare for a LD trip like this? I appreciate any tips or suggestions y'all have, as here is what I have done / been doing to prepare.

The bike is equipped with an awesome F4+4 windshield, which I am able to see barely on top of. Airhawk R cushion. Kury ISO grips. Cowl fog lights. Kury luggage rack + Kury bag on top. And kury pegs. And I have Honda's custom fit bags that go into the trunk case and saddlebags. I also have a compressible thermarest pillow and cheap zebra pattern fleece I'll be toting in case I need a 15-20m nap somewhere and there's no Mickey D's around, etc to nap inside. I'll also have a $40 cooling vest. Dress wise, I'm wearing FF Shoei, Tourmaster Air Intake 3 jacket and Tourmaster Flex pants. And very comfortable ankle boots. Also will be wearing drifit shirts and LD Comfort shorts.

For endurance training, I have been riding 75 or 100-150mi daily to get used to the feel of "being on the road" for the last 4-5days. So that means I'm going up from Dallas up to Gunter or Sherman and back, to get up to 100mi. And then I'll ride again in the eve.

I've got a 70oz Camelbak that is amazing - really helps fight fatigue and gives me something to do to avoid drowsiness issues. Although I haven't been taking them now, I do plan to hit a 5hr energy shot in the mid a.m. and again in the mid p.m. once I'm on the road trip. Also I would (go easy on them) but will have caffeiene pills.

I quit drinking coffee (I hated not having a high-end coffee maker at home for the weekends) so I wouldn't get withdrawal headaches over the weekend. So taking caffeiene pills or 5hr energies will definitely have a kick for me, since I'm not used to caffeieine regularly any more.

I'll also create a thread just before I start my trip and then start blogging \ posting pics \ ride reports throughout the journey.

I'm looking for tips on how to "survive" and stay motivated and stay the course, once you're deep into the trip.

One little "tip" I just discovered today that I wanted to pass along \ share \ talk about is, using the Trip meter on the dash. I like setting it to Zero and then driving to 100 miles, and then getting off the bike, walk around, stretch etc., and resetting to 0. Sure, if there is an opportunity to "stand up" at the red light at 70 miles into the 100 miles, then yes, I'll take it. But the 100 number gives you something to shoot for, and feels like you're getting closer. It avoids the feeling half way through the day of "oh crap, I'm riding 500 miles today".

Thanks
    Max
    Last edited by mrao108; 07-19-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    2012 Honda Goldwing Level 2 NAVI

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't say how many miles you plan on doing each day. I find if I set goals, my fatigue seems to coinside with that goal. Also, a cross-country trip is just a bunch of smaller trips put togther. Every day is a new day. I wake up in the morning refreshed and ready to go again.
    KEN.....................Duct tape can't fix stupid.....but it sure can muffle the sound.

2003 GL1800 Durango Red
    2000 Champion Colorado trailer
    1981 Yamaha XT 250 bought new, still have
    1967 Honda scrambler 90 bought new, still have
    1976 Honda CB750K bought new, wish I still had
    GWRRA http://www.hondagw1800.com/contactlist.pdf

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like you are pretty well set. I get the feeling that you are not on a tight schedule so will be able to stop if you get too tired or sleepy. You are prepared for hydration with your Camelback, and you have a means of staying cool. Your LD Comfort shorts and the riding pants will be a great comfort addition. I'm not familiar with the jackets you mention so I can't comment. I haven't tried the energy drinks you mention, but nothing takes the place of a 20 minute powernap.

700 to 800 mile days are really pretty easy on a Wing. Lots of times that is the result of just going for a nice ride. 1000 mile days are not difficult once you've done one or two and get over the mindset of "1000 miles on a motorcycle is crazy!". I'm a wimp compared to lots of my riding buddies and 1000 mile days don't require a second thought other than "When are we leaving?"

You'll do fine. Stop and rest when you get tired. Ride safe and have fun.

Glen
    Glockjock

2006 Titanium GL 1800, ABS
    2008 Tailwind trailer
    IBA #33072
    Darksider #163
    Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy Member #1
    RAT PACK 2013

I ride too fast, too far, and too often to ride anything but a Goldwing rolling on a car tire pulling a Tailwind trailer because friends don't let friends vote Democrat.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get up, walk around, and stretch once in a while, you should do fine. I find that the highways are more difficult to ride long distances than a trip with lots of turns and 'excitement'. I've found that Redbull gives me 'wings' when I'm feeling a bit distracted or drowsy on long boring stretches. I suspect the 5 hour energy drinks will work much the same way. I don't think you would need to break it up by 100 mile increments, but I like the idea. Sometimes you may be able to ride almost a full tank before you need to get off and stretch, others it may be only 50 miles. Let your body tell you what you need, and listen to it. Everyone is different, but I would think a 500 mile day should be very doable day after day, especially on slab at 75-80MPH.
    Costa Mesa, CA
    2012 Red level 3

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I appreciate the encouragement. Yes I'm looking at 4 days from Dallas to San Fran at 450-475mi a day. Then I'll have a few days rest. Then 4 days of, the same distance up the west coast. Then 6 days riding back to TX.

Also if I feel like the slab is making me drowsy etc I'll get off and take access roads until I'm feeling up to slabbing it again...

Wow @ the prospect of working up to a day's run at 1000mi. I was laughing to myself this morning thinking one day I can apply for the iron butt club...
    Last edited by mrao108; 07-19-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're not really on a tight schedule, GlockJock hit it on the head. Stop and rest when you get tired. Once you get on the open road, 100 miles is nothing, but saying that, don't push yourself over your limit. Never had a 5-hour energy drink. Do you have a energy drop after five hours? Something else, take some energy (protein) bars with you. Start hydrating yourself 3 or 4 days befor your trip, especially since it's gonna be hot on your trip. Good luck!

David
    '06 Titanium Navi Goldwing
    IBA# 37560 DS# 591

Get Your FREE TEXAS Travel Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David. It's not a tight schedule but I need to cover 1700mi from Dallas to San Fran in 4 (worst case 5) days.

Interesting about the hydrating days in advance of the trip....hadn't thought of that.

Max

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Energy drinks bad idea, if your that tired take a nap

sounds like you have serious seat issues, probably to late now but I would start looking for a custom seat that actually allows you to ride all day comfortably for your next trip, very expensive but if it works it will be worth it, i am lucky the stock seat works perfect for me.

tired while riding is rarely an issue for me but the other day in a state park I sat down to watch a short video about the park and the next thing I knew some forest ranger lady was trying to wake me up, but that's pretty normal for me almost anytime I watch TV lol
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

Post Thanks / Like

The seat is fine....the Airhawk makes it perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glockjock View Post
    Sounds to me like you are pretty well set. I get the feeling that you are not on a tight schedule so will be able to stop if you get too tired or sleepy. You are prepared for hydration with your Camelback, and you have a means of staying cool. Your LD Comfort shorts and the riding pants will be a great comfort addition. I'm not familiar with the jackets you mention so I can't comment. I haven't tried the energy drinks you mention, but nothing takes the place of a 20 minute powernap.

700 to 800 mile days are really pretty easy on a Wing. Lots of times that is the result of just going for a nice ride. 1000 mile days are not difficult once you've done one or two and get over the mindset of "1000 miles on a motorcycle is crazy!". I'm a wimp compared to lots of my riding buddies and 1000 mile days don't require a second thought other than "When are we leaving?"

You'll do fine. Stop and rest when you get tired. Ride safe and have fun.

Glen

Glockjock takes naps while he is riding

you will do fine and enjoy each new adventure every day, 500 miles is a piece of cake on a goldwing
    Kevin

IBA# 55527

GWRRA # 372298

Rat Pack 2013

2010 Old Yeller Level 2

Windbender HPS with rake kit

DS: Running yoko's and mich primacy's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrao108 View Post
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the encouragement. Yes I'm looking at 4 days from Dallas to San Fran at 450-475mi a day. Then I'll have a few days rest. Then 4 days of, the same distance up the west coast. Then 6 days riding back to TX.

Also if I feel like the slab is making me drowsy etc I'll get off and take access roads until I'm feeling up to slabbing it again...

Wow @ the prospect of working up to a day's run at 1000mi. I was laughing to myself this morning thinking one day I can apply for the iron butt club...
    450 to 475 should be easy riding if you stay hydrated on slab, but if you're taking the coast, this is a different ride. 475 miles of coast riding could take you a LONG time, and might be a bit ambitious. e.g. 60 miles of slab can get me to Santa Monica in an hour. If I take the coastal route, it could be 3 hours or more. Of course the coast is different in the north, but you may want to consider how long you will be riding instead of counting in miles.

Here in So Cal we don't measure commutes by distance, we measure by time. It usually goes something like this. How long will it take to get from A to B? Response is... What time are you leaving?
    Costa Mesa, CA
    2012 Red level 3

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexanTrail View Post
    If you're not really on a tight schedule, GlockJock hit it on the head. Stop and rest when you get tired. Once you get on the open road, 100 miles is nothing, but saying that, don't push yourself over your limit. Never had a 5-hour energy drink. Do you have a energy drop after five hours? Something else, take some energy (protein) bars with you. Start hydrating yourself 3 or 4 days befor your trip, especially since it's gonna be hot on your trip. Good luck!

David
    mrao108, pay no attention to TexanTrail even though he lives close to you in Kaufman. He'll get you in over your head. He talks about going to do a little sightseeing ride but when you agree to go with him he makes you ride 3200 miles around the perimeter of Texas in 65 hours just to keep him in sight. Come to think of it, the whole Dallas area is infested with hoodlums like that.

Glen

On edit- I see that one of the hoodlums I mentioned showed up. MisterK is a ringleader of the gang. He has Dosxxs, Steve Gold, Brian Hand, and i Big Skeeter as henchmen. They are all troublemakers who will make you start buying auxilliary tanks LD Comfort, and GPS's.

Last edited by Glockjock; 07-19-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Glockjock

2006 Titanium GL 1800, ABS
    2008 Tailwind trailer
    IBA #33072
    Darksider #163
    Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy Member #1
    RAT PACK 2013

I ride too fast, too far, and too often to ride anything but a Goldwing rolling on a car tire pulling a Tailwind trailer because friends don't let friends vote Democrat.

Post Thanks / Like

What I have done is, if I know the next day is going to be hot and humid I try to get a earlier start for riding so I don't have the sun beating down as much. Then as the afternoon sets in, I tend to take more frequent stop breaks, cool off, rest in A/C at resturants and maybe catch a small nap. Later in the day I finish out that days mileage and rest up at the hotel. Have a great trip and take some pictures.

Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.
    Current ride:
    2007 GL1800 Goldwing Trike (yellow)
    2007 Lehman kit
    Former rides:
    1994 GL1500 Goldwing (blue)
    2002 VT750 Shadow Ace (black)
    1978 KZ750
    1977 KZ650
    1972 CB750

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glockjock View Post
    mrao108, pay no attention to TexanTrail even though he lives close to you in Kaufman. He'll get you in over your head. He talks about going to do a little sightseeing ride but when you agree to go with him he makes you ride 3200 miles around the perimeter of Texas in 65 hours just to keep him in sight. Come to think of it, the whole Dallas area is infested with hoodlums like that.

Glen

On edit- I see that one of the hoodlums I mentioned showed up. MisterK is a ringleader of the gang. He has Dosxxs, Steve Gold, Brian Hand, and i Big Skeeter as henchmen. They are all troublemakers who will make you start buying auxilliary tanks LD Comfort, and GPS's.

and windbenders
    Kevin

IBA# 55527

GWRRA # 372298

Rat Pack 2013

2010 Old Yeller Level 2

Windbender HPS with rake kit

DS: Running yoko's and mich primacy's

Post Thanks / Like

Just made my first LD ride since I started riding again a year ago, 650 from Boise to San Fran. Used to ride I-10 across from Charlotte to Tucson straight through (couldn't do it now), but the fun now is in the journey. If you start rested and well fed and hydrated you'll find layering and delayering what you wear as the real inconvenience. Heat and dehydration will be the issue until you stop. I found I could ride out a tank but when I pulled over my legs were almost worthless to hold up the wing and myself, so flex a bit while you ride. Doing this by yourself you may find talk radio, and Satelite Comedy/news stations help a bit to keep you're mind active. If you haven't a Sat radio be sure to bring along a variety of music you can play. I find when alone these help prevent getting white line fever. If anyone tells you the desert is cold at night, believe them; especially if you've been riding in the Sun all day. Don't forget sunscreen and chapstick. I found in CA you won't make very good time, traffic slows down horribly at times, unlike most of I-10 avoid rush hours there and Pheonix AZ. Just riding up to SF from SoCal will take a day, less you lane split like the locals (God forbid!). You have plenty of time to relax and enjoy this opportunity, make a point to do so. If it hasn't been mentioned yet, you want to consider checking bike mx... oil, tires, brakes, coolant, etc.; you want a trusty stead indeed. Have a blast, wish I could join, the coast can be a wonderful ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Put a set of LDComfort, a pair of shorts, a couple pair of socks, a t-shirt, a tooth brush and razor, and flip flops in a knapsack put the knapsack in the trunk along with the iPad. Fill the bicycle water bottles and the CamelBack. Put my riding suit on over LDComfort, gas up the Dirty Fat Girl, then throw a leg over her and go.

BTW, anyone that tells you to start hydrating days before going does not know what they are talking about. Follow their advice and get in trouble. If you are drinking excessive fluid you are allowing your core temp to rise too high, it's a symptom that you are doing something wrong and you need to change what you are doing. If you control your core there is little need for greater than normal fluid intake. Take care of the problem not the symptom.
    Bubba1 & Ms.Bubba aka Ken & Pat
    IBA Member 33312
    '08 Titanium ABS, 06 VTX 1300S, V500LT

There are no simple answers to complex problems, if there were, it wouldn't be a problem.

"Opinions without knowledge are shameful and ugly things" Plato

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Ear Plugs. They will reduce the rush of the wind and reduce fatigue. You can pick up a package of foam ones - 5 or 10 pairs - for a few bucks at most drug stores, truck stops or Wally World.

Sounds like you have the bike set pretty well for comfort. Here are a few things that I do on LD rides, or even on shorter rides of 400-500 miles:

* being long legged, I change position. Feet on the footrests for a few minutes, then back on the passenger footrests, then out on the pegs. This not only gives my legs a break, it does e same for my butt.

* about halfway between gas stops I (when I'm not in traffic!) stretch my arms: holding the bars with one hand, "reach" out to the side, forward, backward, etc. change arms and repeat. Do shoulder rolls. Lean forward and try to put your chest on the tank.
    Do this BEFORE you start to feel stiff or sluggish.

* take frequent 'inventories' of your bike, your surroundings and your mental state: temp, fuel, speedo, tach, TPMS, GPS, etc; mirrors, vehicles ahead & behind, road surface & shoulders, road signs, on ramps, etc.; am I relaxed AND focused? What is the name of the and distance to the next town/exit/service? What percentage of today's planned mileage have I already traveled? How many miles have I traveled since last fuel? How many until next fuel? If I hit rain, where is my poncho? Am I gripping the bars too tight?
    Who's on first?!

Relax you body, focus your mind, and most of all HAVE FUN!
    B. Gross
    IBA #57164
    '02 GL1800ABS "Rose"
    '03 FJR "Lucille"

"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"Be Polite. Be Professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet." - General James N. Mattis, USMC

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." ~ Linji Yixuan

Darksider # 764
    Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP ~ "You'll shoot your eye out, kid."
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich." ~ Warren Zevon

Post Thanks / Like

I just came back from a 3500 mi trip from FL to MI on the slab and back via the Natchez Trace Parkway. I usually plan trips by planning 8hrs of ride time each day if the goal for that day is getting somewhere as a rough idea. Stay hydrated. I rarely ride more than 1.5hrs without getting off the bike. I take beads & a sheepskin pad and alternate between nothing then beads then the sheepskin. When you stop, be sure to say high to the other motorcyclists. You'll be amazed at what nice and interesting people you will meet. I don't plan exact places to stop for the night so I don't book rooms in advance. Just figure out where you want to be for the night by late afternoon and hit orbitz from your smartphone. Pick a motel and they will match the Internet rate... Have Fun & bring rain gear!
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Post Thanks / Like

Default LD Prep

I agree with Bubba1 on pre-hydration. A father/daughter team on the latest Iron Butt Rally had to drop out because the young lady was too hydrated and her sodium levels dropped and affected her badly. Pee clear is the best indicator prior to leaving as well as while riding. As far as caffeine pills As far as the 5 Hour Energy drinks . Read the label on the Energy Drink and you will find it has the caffeine of ONE cup of coffee and approximately 8 to 10 times of the daily need of B12. For me, I do not find a let down after drinking one but as others have stated, a nap works wonders. I combine a nap and a 5 Hour Energy and am good for the rest of the day....and it doesn't affect my sleep that night.

I would suggest going to the Iron Butt website...www.ironbutt.com and read the "29 Tips for LD riding"...it is a wealth of knowledge from experienced LD riders that will add to your safety and thus to your enjoyment.

Have fun.
    Dan Drew IBA 49343
    If 10% is enough for Jesus then it should be enough for Uncle Sam

www.truelife.org

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have your trip all planned out. If it was me, I'd do the 1700 miles in two days and then have two more days to explore the twisty roads in CA. Be safe.

Iron Butt Association 8045
    Darksider #69

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I hydrate before going on long rides. I can tell when I don't. When I talk about hydrating is no alcohol starting a few days before and instead of ice tea or Dr Pepper, I have water. Maybe also 2 or 3 extra glasses a day. YMMV.

PS GlockJock did it in 65 hours, it took me 69. (Hours)
    '06 Titanium Navi Goldwing
    IBA# 37560 DS# 591

Get Your FREE TEXAS Travel Guide

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wear ear plugs to reduce fatigue. Drink LOTS of water.
    Lynn Dimick

07 Blue Airbag Darksider #137, IBA #33527, SS1000 BBG1500, AMA

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed LD ... both are HUGE, especially the earplugs.

Quote Originally Posted by LDimick View Post
    Wear ear plugs to reduce fatigue. Drink LOTS of water.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the MOTRIN and sunblock!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidray View Post
    Sounds like you have your trip all planned out. If it was me, I'd do the 1700 miles in two days and then have two more days to explore the twisty roads in CA. Be safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Default LD Prep

I hydrate but not too excess. Clear pee is the key
    Dan Drew IBA 49343
    If 10% is enough for Jesus then it should be enough for Uncle Sam

www.truelife.org

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the great suggestions. Yes I always ride with ear plugs. And I always ride with a full Camelbak when riding 1hr+

I've started a blog to daily record my trip report for this nearly 5000mi trip!

Http://maxwing2013.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ignore the discussion about mileage, but read this thread:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...n-Planning-Etc

That'll be a good start, no matter if you're doing 500 mile or 1500 mile days.

It's amazing how much of that information is worthy of consideration, no matter how many daily miles you're estimating.

● DS #512 ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Search Problems? Try this with Google: <search term> site:gl1800riders.com

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all that has been said. Also:

Consider leaving as soon as it is daylight; especially in this weather.

Keep the mind active, radio or Sirius XM programs that keep you thinking, count things in your head such as mile per gallon, etc.

Keep moving, torso forward to back, legs in different position, arms in different position (I rest a hand on the brake fluid reseviour to relieve should or back pain).

Hope you have both highway pegs and a back rest! (if not go somewhere and buy them quickly and bolt them on).

Some value a gel cushion seat covers, others value beaded seats, some like sheep skin covers, while still others can tolerate the stock seat.

The long days as you travel west will seem easier and never ending than your return east.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

EDIT: What a coincidence, I just said almost the same thing bgross said. Well it all does work.
    Last edited by biggersm; 07-19-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biggersm View Post
    I agree with all that has been said. Also:

Consider leaving as soon as it is daylight; especially in this weather.

Keep the mind active, radio or Sirius XM programs that keep you thinking, count things in your head such as mile per gallon, etc.

Keep moving, torso forward to back, legs in different position, arms in different position (I rest a hand on the brake fluid reseviour to relieve should or back pain).

Hope you have both highway pegs and a back rest! (if not go somewhere and buy them quickly and bolt them on).

Some value a gel cushion seat covers, others value beaded seats, some like sheep skin covers, while still others can tolerate the stock seat.

The long days as you travel west will seem easier and never ending than your return east.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

EDIT: What a coincidence, I just said almost the same thing bgross said. Well it all does work.
    Yes got the driver backrest and highway pegs... And Airhawk. I've turned on all the satellite channels, XM weather, traffic etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I just swing my leg over the saddle every chance I get and enjoy the ride. 400 miles is nothing on this bike day after day after day. Don't worry...be happy...enjoy the ride.

2004 GL1800
    2004 Bushtec Quantum GL Sport
    154,000 miles of smiles...all mine or ours!
    MSF RiderCoach ID #134890

Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat...if only it was that easy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.