Dunlop 250 Tire question
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dunlop 250 Tire question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dunlop 250 Tire question

What are the problems that people have with the tire? I have heard a few that like the tire, but the vast majority do not............why? Is it a harder tire, too soft and wears to quick, too slick?
    Thanks for the info.
    Msgt Ray Parker (Ret)
    2005 Hot Rod Yellow and Beautiful
    DS #863

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

I like the rear D250 it is a harder tire and I get about 14000-15000 out of it . I do a lot of slab driving back and forth to work and this tire wears good for me. It is a harder tire and I think that is what most that ride the curves hard don't like about it.
    No matter where I go here I am.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

D250's were on my 08 from factory, got 17K out of the front and 18K from back. Most of my driving is on two lane roads with one up. Watch your air pressure and you will be fine. Many flame Dunlop tires but I never had any problems with them. I currently have E3's installed.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't like them much at all, wasnt real happy with the wet weather performance and the noise/cupping, mine were replaced at 9k and man were they junk! However its like anything and everything else, some love them and some don't , I just happen to not like them and tried Metzelers, Stones and Avon Cobra and thanks to Bulldog at www.shinhopples.com. He convinced me to try the Avon Cobra's and that's now my tire of choice, I have had great luck with them, rode on a set to Alaska,12K plus miles in 39-106 degree weather, many different road conditions and made it round trip with them and no issues, actually when I went for new tires the installer could not believe I rode that far in those conditions on those tires.Anyway its personal preference and what makes you feel confident and comfortable, I also use Dynabeads and have Racetech front suspension and traxxion rear shock.

2008 Audio/Comfort/Navi
    AMA Member
    GWTA
    Windbender HP/ST15
    Ultimate Midrider Seat
    Bike MP3

Rode to Alaska July 2012--One FANTASTIC RIDE!!!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyellow1 View Post
    What are the problems that people have with the tire? I have heard a few that like the tire, but the vast majority do not............why? Is it a harder tire, too soft and wears to quick, too slick?
    Thanks for the info.
    The 250 is one of the best tires I ran until I went to a car tire. Got around 22K, but got over 40K from the Kuhmo runflat I ran after that. Now I'm a double dark sider. I think you will be happy with the 250.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a good enough rider to quantify "why" I do not like the E3 I currently have on the front of my bike. All I can say is the feedback I get from the tire does not inspire confidence when I try a spirited ride on a twisty road. Could definitely be a symptom of the Michelin CT on the rear, too. The bike just does not want to lean (and stay leaned) through corners. "Nervous and active counter-steering" is the best way I can think to describe bombing a corner. On the Bridgestones the dealer installed when I bought the bike used it was just, well, fun to hit the twisties.
    -Howard

'06 Titanium ABS
    Purchased 10 Sep 12 w/16K.
    Michelin Alpin PA3 ZP Run Flat (Rear), Dunlop E3 (Front)
    Added (since purchase):Windbender Windshield, Utopia Backrest, Flash2Pass, SpeedoHealer, Brake Light Modulator, Tail/Trunk Light Conversion Harness, Kisan Headlight Modulator, Bushtech hitch, Progressive Monotubes, All Balls steering head bearings, Harbor Freight "Tag Along" Trailer, Signal Dynamics Heads up Voltage Monitor, Tire-SafeGuard TPMS, +misc "Farkles"!

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the D250 is a harder grade of rubber. I just know it slid around when pushed hard in the rain. I suspect if you just go in straight lines and slow they are OK

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost1950 View Post
    The 250 is one of the best tires I ran until I went to a car tire. Got around 22K, but got over 40K from the Kuhmo runflat I ran after that. Now I'm a double dark sider. I think you will be happy with the 250.
    Who cares..........LOL...Don't ya think if he wanted to hear about car tires he would go to the darkside forum..

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyellow1 View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    Back to the question: They seem to wear really good but hard rubber and wet roads do not mix...Only ever ran one set they came on the bike stock...Never again...Just my 2 cents...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by howsonIII View Post
    I'm not a good enough rider to quantify "why" I do not like the E3 I currently have on the front of my bike. All I can say is the feedback I get from the tire does not inspire confidence when I try a spirited ride on a twisty road. Could definitely be a symptom of the Michelin CT on the rear, too. The bike just does not want to lean (and stay leaned) through corners. "Nervous and active counter-steering" is the best way I can think to describe bombing a corner. On the Bridgestones the dealer installed when I bought the bike used it was just, well, fun to hit the twisties.
    ... it is what it is.
    KD8OVH
    '06 GL1800 Black Stealth F-117
    Progressive monotubes & Traxxion tree
    Vietnam Vet - Infantry Recon 69'-71'
    Daughter serves as LoadMaster CJ Elvis USAFr

Post Thanks / Like

Worst tire I have ever ridden for wet pavement!
    Nokian WR D3 R/F
    Vredestein Quatrac 3 REAR 195 55 16 R/F
    Bridgestone G 709 Front
    December 27, 2010 - 102 posts
    JPINPA my friend forever

Michigan...................................... In The Thumb
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman911 View Post
    Worst tire I have ever ridden for wet pavement!
    John
    If Riding A Wing Is A Mid life Crisis....Bring It On!
    2006 Dark Red GL 1800
    Gold Wing, Adopted 4-21-06 Premium Audio/Comfort

R.I.P. Beverly, You'll be Missed!
    R.I.P. Harry
    R.I.P. Chuck
    The "Black Pirate" has left us a message.

Did you get it?

DS 1020

Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 ZP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wgreen12 View Post
    Who cares..........LOL...Don't ya think if he wanted to hear about car tires he would go to the darkside forum..
    No I don't

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wgreen12 View Post
    Don't know! But would sure be a good place to start.
    Nokian WR D3 R/F
    Vredestein Quatrac 3 REAR 195 55 16 R/F
    Bridgestone G 709 Front
    December 27, 2010 - 102 posts
    JPINPA my friend forever

Post Thanks / Like

My original tires were 250's, the front wore out at 9000 miles, the rear at 11000 miles, terrible mileage, went to bt 45 front and ct rear.

Post Thanks / Like

The set that came on my 08 were cupped badly and down to the wear bars at 8K. I did not like the way they handled in the corners.
    2008 Airbag, ABS, Comfort, Navi, Pearl White
    IBA #45699
    SS 1000 Certified 1-1-11
    SS 1000 Certified 10-22-11
    RAT Pack Certified 3-27-13

Darkside #841
    Michelin Primacy Alpin 195/55/RF16

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with the D-250 is that when compared with other MC tires, such as Dunlop's own E-3 or the Bridgestone for the GL1800, they come up short in both overall mileage and grip/turn-in performance. My OEM D-250's seemed "ok" in both dry and wet, and gave me approx. 13k. The next two sets of E-3's definately gripped the road a little better, and gave me approx. 18k in overall mileage. I think the issue here is that the D-250's tread pattern was designed as a compromise; mostly emphasizing stability for the Wing. The more agressive tread pattern on the E-3 is a step better on curvey roads, although it still has some limitations. The Bridgestone (in my opinion) is WAY ahead in agile cornering, smooth transitions, light/easy turning feel, and even tire quietness... all due to the sportbike-like tread design employed. I won't go back to anything else for the GL1800! My last set gave me almost 17k on the front tire and a whopping 20k on the rear to boot! My new (2nd) set of Stone's just feel much more athletic, smooth/quiet, and agressive than the Dunlop's... especially the OEM's.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

D250 lasts pretty well, my only complaint is when riding on wet roads they seem to slip a little easier than some other tires, not really a big deal if u use a little common sense
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.