Michigan Fall Color ride
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Michigan Fall Color ride

Post Thanks / Like

Default Michigan Fall Color ride

I am going to do a Fall Color ride to Michigan and think this year it should be the best with all the rain that has fallen this year and the Temperatures being lower so the question I have is not how the colors will be in Michigan but rather for Michigan riders to help plan the time to visit? I am thinking about coming up the 4th of Oct. to the 13th, I will be riding from Kansas City area and riding up over Mackinaw Bridge back around Wisconsin. I have a brother who lives in Oscoda, Mich and turns 60 this year so it has a dual purpose but the colors should be good and needs eyes on the ground for reconnaissance. Thanks for any help on this matter..

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member fredfirefighter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in Tawas, just South of Oscoda. Your time frame seems to be good and I hope you have good travel weather for your color tour. We do have some spectacular colors here in Northern MI. It is a great time to take a tour. Enjoy your ride and if I can help give me a shout. The ride up US 23 to the bridge is a good one. I'll be doing that tomorrow on my way to the Davis rally.

Fred
    US Navy 63-69
    07 Dark Blue Goldwing
    1994 Kwik Kamp camper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fredfirefighter View Post
    I live in Tawas, just South of Oscoda. Your time frame seems to be good and I hope you have good travel weather for your color tour. We do have some spectacular colors here in Northern MI. It is a great time to take a tour. Enjoy your ride and if I can help give me a shout. The ride up US 23 to the bridge is a good one. I'll be doing that tomorrow on my way to the Davis rally.

Fred
    my brother lives in Oscoda and will be coming up there for his 60th on Oct. 6th if it works out. Dad lived in Houghton Lake and was a retired DPAO lieutenant (he passed away about 4 years ago. you can read my story at http://www.tarnishedwings.com/id73.html we did like to ride together back in the late 70's up there and I try and make it up whenever possible.
    Last edited by cgroh360; 09-03-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cgroh360 View Post
    I am going to do a Fall Color ride to Michigan and think this year it should be the best with all the rain that has fallen this year and the Temperatures being lower so the question I have is not how the colors will be in Michigan but rather for Michigan riders to help plan the time to visit? I am thinking about coming up the 4th of Oct. to the 13th, I will be riding from Kansas City area and riding up over Mackinaw Bridge back around Wisconsin. I have a brother who lives in Oscoda, Mich and turns 60 this year so it has a dual purpose but the colors should be good and needs eyes on the ground for reconnaissance. Thanks for any help on this matter..
    Are ya dragin' you new camper or motelling it?
    thecruiser
    DARKSIDER #317
    Tennessee Traveler # 15
    Florida Prowler #85

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page

Whenever we safely Ride home we promise God a little something.

(quote attributed to
    Tony...........Chicago
    2001 Black 1800

Seasoned Member 1800 06 Champion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a nice ride.
    We live in eastern Wisconsin and like the Munising area in the UP.
    Been riding motorcycles and snowmobile up there since 1979
    T.A. Jens
    The Pizza Man
    06 White Goldwing Champion Trike
    05 Bunkhouse Camper
    06 Breeze Cargo Trailer
    Life member of GWRRA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thecruiser View Post
    Are ya dragin' you new camper or motelling it?
    thecruiser
    thinking about taking the camper, I would be using it on the way up there and then after I leave my brothers would use it again going up through Mackinaw and back.

Post Thanks / Like

Still no reports about the leaves, does it look like an early fall leaf run or normal this year? I know it would be a question that might be hard to answer this early but I thought I would ask
    Last edited by cgroh360; 09-05-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cgroh360 View Post
    Still no reports about the leaves, does it look like an early fall leaf run or normal this year? I know it would be a question that might be hard to answer this early but I thought I would ask
    Our weather guy says a warm Sept, right up to the end of the month. Who knows but it looks like maybe a late fall. Of course the UP may be different.

Your mileage may vary and batteries are NOT included.

thecruiser
    DARKSIDER #317
    Tennessee Traveler # 15
    Florida Prowler #85

(quote attributed to
    Tony...........Chicago
    2001 Black 1800

Post Thanks / Like

I was just "Up North" all the way to Brimley (west of Sault Sainte Marie) over the week end and saw no signs of color changes yet. But hey, it's Michigan, anything can happen in the next 3-4 weeks. If you Google Michigan Color Tour you will see several sites that will help you keep track of what is happening where.

Post Thanks / Like

I will watch that site thanks, I have always found that boots on the ground is this best way to find out what the colors are doing. I will probably be the weekend between the 4th to the 12th right now so here's hoping I can see a little fall color

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default UP

I live in the northwest corner of the lower and just spent the weekend in the eastern half of the Upper, and I don't see much sign. I suspect that because of the higher than normal moisture this summer, that colors might be later than normal. Even if you don't hit it "perfect", there will be areas that are perfect before and after peak color. A bigger issue often is wet and windy conditions blowing the leaves off before we even reach peak. I would center my trips around river valleys and be fairly sure that the color will be there longer than in most other places. For forecasting purposes, I would schedule the first week in October, but I could be 2 weeks off in either direction.

Richard
    DS#809

Post Thanks / Like

thinking of riding up into the UP. When do u thing the leave will be at there peak. Thanks Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, I have a friend that was in Petoskey for the last couple of weeks. Petoskey is about 35 miles south of the bridge. My friend said the leaves are starting to turn already. No where near peak yet by it's on it's way. The UP will be, I imagine like Richard said,... the first part of Oct.
    thecruiser
    DARKSIDER #317
    Tennessee Traveler # 15
    Florida Prowler #85

(quote attributed to
    Tony...........Chicago
    2001 Black 1800

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, I have a friend that was in Petoskey for the last couple of weeks. Petoskey is about 35 miles south of the bridge. My friend said the leaves are starting to turn already. No where near peak yet by it's on it's way. The UP will be, I imagine like Richard said,... the first part of Oct.
    thecruiser
    Ok thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,
    If you go to the UP, either on your way up or back fell free to stop in for a chat or an over-night. We have a spare bedroom you and the Mrs. are always welcome.
    If you remember, we're near Grand Rapids.
    thecruiser
    DARKSIDER #317
    Tennessee Traveler # 15
    Florida Prowler #85

(quote attributed to
    Tony...........Chicago
    2001 Black 1800

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,
    If you go to the UP, either on your way up or back fell free to stop in for a chat or an over-night. We have a spare bedroom you and the Mrs. are always welcome.
    If you remember, we're near Grand Rapids.
    thecruiser
    ok will keep that in mind thanks my friend

Post Thanks / Like

does anyone know when the peak is on leaves in the UP, thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Wayne that no one seems to know.

Here in GR it was 50* last night. Actually, that's what it is now but I'm sure it didn't get anywhere near freezing here last night. A few nights ago it did frost starting abouct 50 miles north of us.
    Today is the first full day of Fall, so they say.

I'll keep watchin' and let you know Wayne.
    thecruiser
    DARKSIDER #317
    Tennessee Traveler # 15
    Florida Prowler #85

(quote attributed to
    Tony...........Chicago
    2001 Black 1800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default colors

Wayne,

The leaves here and all the to the bridge, have just started to turn. I'm not sure about above that, but when I was in the UP 2 weeks ago, it was the same as here. I'd guess that we're a couple weeks away from good color here. We've had a lot of wind and rain around here, but it hasn't knocked any leaves off. I'll keep updating, if you'd like.

Richard
    DS#809

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Clem View Post
    Wayne,

The leaves here and all the to the bridge, have just started to turn. I'm not sure about above that, but when I was in the UP 2 weeks ago, it was the same as here. I'd guess that we're a couple weeks away from good color here. We've had a lot of wind and rain around here, but it hasn't knocked any leaves off. I'll keep updating, if you'd like.

Richard
    Thanks for the information my friend

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,
    Is your bike rideable with your front fender like it is?

thecruiser
    DARKSIDER #317
    Tennessee Traveler # 15
    Florida Prowler #85

(quote attributed to
    Tony...........Chicago
    2001 Black 1800

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,
    Is your bike rideable with your front fender like it is?

thecruiser
    Yes it is found a used one Saturday looks good

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default colors

Wayne,

I would say we're getting close to 10-14 days out from maximum color. It's gone from almost no color a week ago to 20-25% today. I'm realizing that predicting this kind of thing is very hard. I've lived in Michigan most of my life and the last 20+ years up north, but I've never paid much attention to how long it takes to change, after it starts changing. I just waited for the colors to come and then for the sun to shine. I was going to be there anyway. All of that to say, it's not my fault if my prognostications aren't accurate.

Richard
    DS#809

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Clem View Post
    Wayne,

I would say we're getting close to 10-14 days out from maximum color. It's gone from almost no color a week ago to 20-25% today. I'm realizing that predicting this kind of thing is very hard. I've lived in Michigan most of my life and the last 20+ years up north, but I've never paid much attention to how long it takes to change, after it starts changing. I just waited for the colors to come and then for the sun to shine. I was going to be there anyway. All of that to say, it's not my fault if my prognostications aren't accurate.

Richard
    Thanks looks like I can get away monday or tuesday the 7th or 8th and head for the UP for the week hope the leaves do not all fall off before that. Thanks for all of the information. Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Default fall color

I just rode up to newberry to deer camp the color is just starting up there .But around gaylord were i live this coming week will be very colorful . It will be a couple week before M119 is good color .Or called the tunnel of tree.
    Enjoy your ride in northern michigan .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dangler View Post
    I just rode up to newberry to deer camp the color is just starting up there .But around gaylord were i live this coming week will be very colorful . It will be a couple week before M119 is good color .Or called the tunnel of tree.
    Enjoy your ride in northern michigan .
    Thanks my friend for the report we will be going up M119 also then, thanks Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

We rode over to South Haven on Sunday, and it looks like the colors are really beginning to pop! I hope this will be a spectacular year.
    2002 Stream Silver GL1800
    "We ride in the rain, we ride in the sun, we ride in the cold, we ride in the heat, it doesn’t matter because we all know that the journey is what makes us go." FrigN©bored

Post Thanks / Like

My brother was there this past weekend (Tunnel of Trees, Lake of the Clouds), he reported trees were just starting to turn. Hope they'll hang on for another week. We're taking a trip up there - October 10-13!
    "Life's not a journey where you arrive in heaven in a well-preserved body...
    but rather where you skid in sideways saying, "Wow! That was one hell of a ride!"

Laura Weeks
    Lake Mills, WI

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Colors

If you don't mind a little green in your colors, now is the time to get here. As I said earlier in this thread, weather is a big factor. I drove to southern Michigan and back yesterday and the colors range from 60% to 85% in some areas. Peak might be a week away, but we have some weather arriving this weekend. If it should get windy and stay windy for a while, it could blow a lot of the color off. If not, next week will be perfect. If we get a lot of wind, then look for the river valleys and the bottoms of other valleys (not like you'd see in mountainous places). The Ausable River road is one of the best. Leaf-peep safely.

Richard
    DS#809

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.