Goldwing Reverse Trike
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldwing Reverse Trike

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Goldwing Reverse Trike

I have made a couple post on here about my reverse trike conversion I was building and some of you wanted to see some photos of the trike when I finished it. Well it is not finished yet but close enough to show a couple photos.

I have been doing some riding to test everything out and so far everything looks good. I have never had a trike before so I am getting use to the new feel of not leaning the bike. It rides very smooth and takes very little effort to steer it. I went on a short 200 mile ride in the mountains Sunday and did not notice any tiring of my arms.

I started the conversion with a 2005 ABS model and built a complete new front end with coil over shocks, a-arm suspension and Wilwood disk brake on the front. I hand crafted a complete bolt on new front fiberglass body that bolts to the stock Goldwing dash and shelter. I also built some short running boards to help keep the water off my feet if I get caught in the rain. Everything from the dash and wind shield back is all stock Goldwing.

One of the things I did with this kit is to make it a complete bolt on system. No welding, drilling or grinding on the stock frame. If you ever get tired of the trike, all you have to do is unbolt the kit and bolt all the stock front bike parts back on and you are back to two wheels again.

I still have some body work to finish on the front and more testing this winter. Not sure I like the front body design yet but I had to start with something. Let me know what you think of the basic concept.
    What would you change if you were going to buy one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 048.jpg 
Views:	1892 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	96369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 031.jpg 
Views:	5079 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	96377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 034.jpg 
Views:	2862 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	96385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 039.jpg 
Views:	1195 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	96393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 042.jpg 
Views:	2458 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	96401

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Very well done indeed. Honestly the front wheel design leaves little room for storage compared to a conventional rear wheel design. But as a custom again very well done and different. My concern as I use my trike to commute on would be its driving characteristics and how it rode and handled. You have a talent many of wish we had even a small percentage of.
    2010 Honda GoldWing with Motor Trike kit
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar
    1999 Honda Valkyrie Sold

Seasoned Member 1800 06 Champion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a good looking trike.
    Please keep us posted about it.
    T.A. Jens
    The Pizza Man
    06 White Goldwing Champion Trike
    05 Bunkhouse Camper
    06 Breeze Cargo Trailer
    Life member of GWRRA

Post Thanks / Like

This thing looks GREAT !!!! We honestly think the Gold Wing lost more storage than it gained when the saddlebags were removed to accommodate the new trike/trunk rear-end. We have always missed having the saddlebags. With this design, you've got it ALL even if the forward trunk is somewhat small. You are very talented and brave to have gone forth with this project by yourself. As to buying one... no. Just simply because we already have 2 Gold Wing trikes we are happy with and don't intend to invest any more money in bikes and trikes. But if this thing had come along PRIOR to our purchases - weeellllll....the wife would have had to make a big decision between the standard Gold Wing trike and this reverse-look trike. She really likes the look of the Spyder - its eye-catching. But she chose the Gold Wing trike as we are familiar with, and appreciate the reliability of, the Gold Wing. When I bought my trike - there was no decision between a Spyder and a Gold Wing... I already knew I was sticking with the 'Wing. Enjoy your creation.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the looks of it. I think it looks better then a conventional trike.
    Never be afraid to ride past the last stop light at the edge of town

07 Newport Blue Metallic Navi
    LIMNCS #73eh
    ITAJOB #3
    IBA 54324 Premier Member

The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?

R.I P. Bev, you will be sorely missed.

Post Thanks / Like

WHAT YA TALKIN $$$ ?? COMPARED TO REAR TRIKE ??
    LIFE AINT ALWAYS BEAUTIFUL - BUT IT'S A BEAUTIFUL RIDE PROWLER # 62 DS #683 DUNNIE (1)3000 -18,500MILES (2 )5000 -27,000 MILES -GOT ALPIN 3 -23,500 - WANLI RF (16,300)-BT45 FRONT - YOKOHOMA ENVIGOR 195/55/16 RF - 2005 JUST TURNED 100,000 MILES

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice Looking

I wish I had half the talent that you do I like it very much. Put a Kumho rear tire on it make all tires run flat and it would be bulletproof . My Hannigan I gained storage space with it some of the other conversions the trunk is not all that large. Sonney
    Money Pit

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your comments and kind words. This project started out as just a fun project with the thought of maybe going into full production if it works out to be a safe and reliable trike and if there is enough interest in it. I still have a lot of testing before I make that happen. The cost to produce the trike is another issue. I want to make it affordable without compromising quality.

I currently have two artist doing several concept drawings of different body designs. I will then post these drawings to see what design is most popular. Still not sure if I will use ABS plastic like used on the standard wing or use fiberglass. I will be looking for reliability since weight is not a real issue. The kit only adds about 65 lb to the total weight of the bike. JaysGone mentioned the lost storage area of the front wheel design but with the side bags, trunk and front storage area you still have lots of storage. The front storage area is larger than the Can Am Spyder. I could have made it larger but did not want to have a area that could get very heavy on the nose of the trike. Need to keep the front to rear weight bias in check.

Thanks again for you comments and keep them coming. I want to know what you think!

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry that is outstanding! You possess a lot of talent my friend. Tom
    Her body may be a temple. But mine is an amusement park.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks very nice. I,m wondering how much weight does this kit add. Also would be traction on the rear wheel when it rains. Some people pulling trailers could have a problem getting power to the ground. But you have done a fantastic job. I,d buy it.

Post Thanks / Like

This Looks great!! I have pondered this very same Idea but I am far short on the fabrication ability. I have seen another Rev Trike but think yours looks much better and I would bet its lighter too. The other kit had moved the cooling to the front, how is your bike cooling? Dose it use the OEM rad/ fans and flow scheme? I would love to get a peek under the hood at the set up but I guess that would be full of secrets till you get it to market.

Well Hats off.

S

06 white Level 3 Traxxion

Eastern Tennessee in the shadow of the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

You got some crazy skills and design talent....I hope you can go forward with this.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! I would think one of the conversion mfg's would jump on the idea.

PGR # 175344
    08 GL1800 Pearl White ABS Hannigan
    02 Lowrider - K&N, V&H, Mustang, Headwinds, bling
    06 Heritage - SE Stage 1, V&H 2:1, PCV, Dyno'd
    07 Mustang GT California Special Convertible

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that is amazing. as someone who was looking at a spyder before going with the wing I think this would be my best of both worlds. Plenty of storage, wife could drive it, and reliability of a goldwing. Very nicely done. Definitely let us know when you have an idea on the pricing comparison.
    Eric
    2012 GL1800 ABS White (lighter color for less weight )

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Excellent!! As others have said, I wish I had half of your talent. I'm very impressed with your design. Please keep us all posted regarding your progress!
    Rich / Rock-N-Roll 4 Ever ~ Lost In The 50s
    -------
    2005 GL1800 / 2012 Roadsmith conversion / Metallic Portland Gray

Post Thanks / Like

Beautifully done sir ......swap out the windshield garnish for a late model piece to tie in the angles on the nose and I would call it done. The first I have seen (by looks alone) I would entertain buying

2008 Metallic Red Airbagger Hannigan Trike
    2010 Triumph Street Triple RR
    2006 ST1300

Post Thanks / Like

Default RevTrike

Love the look and idea of this. Since I just got my Wing I have been thinking about what to do if / when I would go to three wheels. Was leaning towards the Spyder but this would be a prefered option.

Post Thanks / Like

Very well done, you ARE a fabricator !! The body looks great as long as it cools okay, here in Texas it gets really hot and maybe I would consider opening the lower air dam area so some air could flow thru and under the bike to help cool the underside, but not so much it would make the front end to light. Maybe an opening with a slight down pressure and get the air flowing. Yea it complicates your design and maybe could be an add - on if needed... just thinking out of the box. Or maybe a damper that could be adjusted for summer and winter.. But it looks great. Now lets see that front-end fabrication!! Nice job, keep testing and keep us informed!!

IBA#5831
    Life Member NRA, HOG, AMA

"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Post Thanks / Like

Looks Great!

07-black and red - Suzuki VL800 Boulevard (C50), 03-candy red - GL1800 ABS w/08 CSC Trike kit.
    Past: 98-Valkyrie Tour, 75-Honda CB750 K5, 67-Yamaha 200, 57 Cushman, 49-Cushman - Inverted Bath tub

> I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury. - Groucho Marx

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. I like it. One thought have you run it thru water? Wondering if short front finders will keep the water from spraying up?
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like

excellent, i like it.
    Kevin

IBA# 55527

GWRRA # 372298

Rat Pack 2013

2010 Old Yeller Level 2

Windbender HPS with rake kit

DS: Running yoko's and mich primacy's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Liner View Post
    I have made a couple post on here about my reverse trike conversion I was building and some of you wanted to see some photos of the trike when I finished it. Well it is not finished yet but close enough to show a couple photos.

I have been doing some riding to test everything out and so far everything looks good. I have never had a trike before so I am getting use to the new feel of not leaning the bike. It rides very smooth and takes very little effort to steer it. I went on a short 200 mile ride in the mountains Sunday and did not notice any tiring of my arms.

I started the conversion with a 2005 ABS model and built a complete new front end with coil over shocks, a-arm suspension and Wilwood disk brake on the front. I hand crafted a complete bolt on new front fiberglass body that bolts to the stock Goldwing dash and shelter. I also built some short running boards to help keep the water off my feet if I get caught in the rain. Everything from the dash and wind shield back is all stock Goldwing.

One of the things I did with this kit is to make it a complete bolt on system. No welding, drilling or grinding on the stock frame. If you ever get tired of the trike, all you have to do is unbolt the kit and bolt all the stock front bike parts back on and you are back to two wheels again.

I still have some body work to finish on the front and more testing this winter. Not sure I like the front body design yet but I had to start with something. Let me know what you think of the basic concept.
    What would you change if you were going to buy one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 048.jpg 
Views:	1892 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	96369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 031.jpg 
Views:	5079 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	96377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 034.jpg 
Views:	2862 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	96385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 039.jpg 
Views:	1195 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	96393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sep 12 motorcycle photos 042.jpg 
Views:	2458 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	96401
    Looks great! Waiting to hear how it progresses

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by orange winger2 View Post
    Very nice. I like it. One thought have you run it thru water? Wondering if short front finders will keep the water from spraying up?

Jerry,

Beautiful work! I had the same question as quoted above. I wonder if you've ridden the rig through standing water and rain and how the spray and splash from the front tires affect the rider and passenger. It would seem that there would be some movement of that water disturbed by the front tires, and that the aerodynamics of the air flowing in and around the machine as it moves down the road. Of course, we get wet when we are riding in rain regardless, but I have to wonder if the water might move into the cockpit area and affect vision. Water coming up from below would tend to possibly get underneath and inside the helmet visor.

I am not a big fan of reverse trikes at this point, but you have done a remarkable job thus far in both design (that can be seen) and fabrication. I think all of us are amazed at what you have accomplished. Good luck as you continue to move forward with this project.
    So long ... Pudge
    Southeastern New Mexico'06 gold GL 1800 with Roadsmith trike kit"

Those who would give up liberty and freedom for safety and security deserve neither and will lose both" Benjamin Franklin

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will try and answer some of the questions some of you have asked about the design of the trike without giving out too much info. I would like to keep some of the design quiet for now. One thing to remember is this trike is a first design portotype. This design was to just to get the concept on the road for testing.

To answer some of the questions;

@ orange winger 2......... You are right about the short front fenders. I was running out of time to get the trike on the road so I could do some testing before winter so I just made some thing that would take little time. The fenders are not the shape I would use on the finish product if I do go into production.

@ solidbob and stumpbucket..... As for the cooling. With the limited testing I have done the trike runs very cool. No cooling problems but that was in upper 80 to low 90 degree stop and go traffic. The radiators are stock oem and are in the stock location. I designed the front air inlets to force air through the radiators. The fans are also stock oem and are not reversed.
    There is a belly pan on the trike to keep trash out. I designed it to let some air flow around the lower engine area. Without giving away too much info on the design. Using some of my past Indy Car background, the lower pan also creates down force to help with the high speed stability.

@ airbear..... I agree with you that two wheels on the rear is better for pulling a trailer but you see lots of standard two wheel motorcycles pulling trailers with no problem. I think the only advantage the standard trike has over the reverse trike would be starting off in very slippery conditions. Two drive wheels will be better than one. As for braking, you still have three tires doing the braking. I designed the trike to keep the front to rear weight bias in check and that is one of the reasons I did not go any larger with the front trunk area. I did not want that are to get over loaded.

As for photos of the front sub frame. I may post some photos but would like to keep most of that under cover for now. I can tell you that it is a all 4130 tubular space frame design that was built in a jig and is all TIG welded.

I hope this has answered some of the questions and thanks again for the support.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry,

I was posting at the same time you were. I think you answered my questions at this point. No doubt there will be continued testing and trying to check out these kinds of things. You obviously have a pretty good idea where you are headed and how to get there!
    So long ... Pudge
    Southeastern New Mexico'06 gold GL 1800 with Roadsmith trike kit"

Those who would give up liberty and freedom for safety and security deserve neither and will lose both" Benjamin Franklin

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful trike. My sister had a Spyder and I thought it was pretty good looking and fun to ride. I like yours even more, proven engine, storage and looks too. Very talented.
    2003 Titanium GL 1800A

Post Thanks / Like

That is one bada## trike I hope you will be able to mass produce the kits

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks mighty fine to me, good work.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice job!!! Looking forward to seeing more on this trike style.....Ken

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.