Engine Side Covers: What's happening here?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Side Covers: What's happening here?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engine Side Covers: What's happening here?

It sort of looks like there's some thin plastic covering on them, like when you get a new large appliance, and now it's just peeling off.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7193.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	173282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7195.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	173290 Is that what it is, or is it something else? What do I do to "fix" this eyesore? Thanks.
    I'm John, and my rides are:
    2007 Black Metallic Goldwing
    2007 Black Yamaha FZ1
    2001 Black Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71
    "There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns there are things we do not know we don't know."
    - Don Rumsfeld, circa 2002

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Geography

It's a byproduct of where you live. Floridas humidity and salt air takes it's toll on metal. Professional polishing and maybe clear powdercoating will restore your covers. Check to see if powdercoating will stand up to engine heat.

Post Thanks / Like

They powdercoat exhaust so that shouldnt be any problem . Where they clearcoated before and thats whats peeling off or is the aluminum ?
    LIFE AINT ALWAYS BEAUTIFUL - BUT IT'S A BEAUTIFUL RIDE PROWLER # 62 DS #683 DUNNIE (1)3000 -18,500MILES (2 )5000 -27,000 MILES -GOT ALPIN 3 -23,500 - WANLI RF NOW -BT45 FRONT -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEJOHN View Post
    They powdercoat exhaust so that shouldnt be any problem . Where they clearcoated before and thats whats peeling off or is the aluminum ?
    John, that appears to be from salt. We get the same thing up here, hence we usually try to wait until the roads ae clear up here. That is, unless we jus get tired of waiting!

LD Rider since '75 and still going.
    AMA 672853 (Life)
    IBA 8846 Premier
    NRA 0415685108 (Life, We really do vote)
    Present Rides:
    2007 Metallic Orange Gold Wing (#4)
    195/55R-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP RF

2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Yeah, baby!!!)
    2000 Honda VTR1000F
    Past Rides:
    Who cares?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It could be from salt, but it could also be just from the exposed aluminum corroding. Corroded aluminum can leave white powder like that. I imagine that you might fair worse with it if you live near the ocean with all that salt spray.

Honda paints the head covers, and it can peel with time, with or without salt. I don't know if it is from engine heat or what, but the right side seems to be the most common one to peel. Mine is peeling on that side too, but it's not nearly as bad as yours. Same thing happened with my Honda Magna after a number of years.

I don't have a good answer as to how to fix it unless you are really good at refinishing. I kind of like the look of the OEM finish, and I doubt that I could duplicate that brushed finish look. I am not going to buy those stick on chrome aftermarket covers to hide it. They make it a pain to remove the head covers.

I may look into just replacing them with a new set from Honda. The first set lasted 12 years. I have seen some actual head covers that have been chromed, but the prices are pretty high.

I have also been waiting for a viable alternative. Hopefully somebody will post something.
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

Can also be caused by using a "strong" soap, like dish detergent, when washing the bike and not getting it all rinsed off.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

They are clearcoated from the factory. You could pull them off, strip the remaining clearcoat, polish and recoat them. That would be MUCH cheaper than new ones. Powder coating is also an option but the cost would be about the same. Actually I think that they make clear powder coat and that may be the best approach.

Jeff...

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest looking into getting them powder coated. Many have gotten it done and the results look great. Many different colors are available and even silver and clear. The ones that had black powder coating done look really nice in my opinion.

Here is a picture of a black bike with black valve covers owned by goinssr. He also had the wheels, lower cowl and exhaust covers done. I think this looks great.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...=1#post3928342

Post Thanks / Like

I had the valve covers on my 2005 billet silver powder coated last fall to match. The cost was $100. From your avatar it appears your motorcycle is black. The cost for black powder coat would have been less. I removed the center chrome trim and all of the sealing washers (which I was able to reuse). I replaced the valve cover gaskets, but I could have reused them as well. The powder coat shop used a fine sandblast to remove the original paint. I am not concerned about the powder coat holding up to the engine heat.

Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG9692S.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	173481  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Fuller View Post
    I had the valve covers on my 2005 billet silver powder coated last fall to match. The cost was $100. From your avatar it appears your motorcycle is black. The cost for black powder coat would have been less. I removed the center chrome trim and all of the sealing washers (which I was able to reuse). I replaced the valve cover gaskets, but I could have reused them as well. The powder coat shop used a fine sandblast to remove the original paint. I am not concerned about the powder coat holding up to the engine heat.

Ron
    That looks nice Ron. I may have to do that to my '05 someday.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine look like that and I have never used any harsh soap to clean the bike with. Salt air gets to them eventually. Anodized aluminum would have been a better choice for the covers as it holds up better down here.
    06, Dark Red GL1800
    Darksider #107
    Michlin Alpin 195/55/16 Run Flat (28psi) 5th one
    Bridgestone 701 bias ply front (36lbs)
    Rest in Peace, Beverly
    Florida Prowler #3

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They are just like aluminum auto wheels. The clear protective coating only needs a pin hole in it to start doing that. It let's moisture get under the coating and then the bare brushed aluminum starts oxidizing and corroding. Painting, powder coating, or stripping and refinishing the aluminum and resealing it is your options.
    GO UK Wildcats, C.A.T.S. Cats! Cats! Cats!
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine did that but not near as bad as the pictures from the original post. Got a good tip from Rocky to go to auto parts store and buy some clear coat remover in spray can, cost less than $10, I removed the covers and sprayed them, in a few minutes the clear coat wiped rite off with a rag, had to do it twice to remove all the clear coat, then I polished them with some aluminum polish, to me they look better than new and it's been a couple years since I did them
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip cycledude. I have never heard of clearcoat remover. That sounds like the hot ticket.
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
    Mine did that but not near as bad as the pictures from the original post. Got a good tip from Rocky to go to auto parts store and buy some clear coat remover in spray can, cost less than $10, I removed the covers and sprayed them, in a few minutes the clear coat wiped rite off with a rag, had to do it twice to remove all the clear coat, then I polished them with some aluminum polish, to me they look better than new and it's been a couple years since I did them

Cycledude: Did you recoat after the polish job?

Wayne
    GWRRA # 215175 since 05
    USAF 1960-1964
    2004 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry

I'm a geezer

Prowler # 45

A stranger is nothing more than a friend you havn't met yet

Post Thanks / Like

I powder coated mine. They weren't corroded, I just wanted them black.
    <font size=3><font color=#333333><span style=font-family: Verdana>If you don't watch the news or read the newspaper, you're uninformed; if you do.... you're misinformed.</span></font></font>

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ET Rider View Post
    Cycledude: Did you recoat after the polish job?

Wayne
    Nope all I did was polish each cover with aluminum polish for about 10 minutes and re install them, if you really were ambitious about polishing I think you could make them really shine

The brand of clear coat remover I happened to use is Aircraft, peeler base coat and clear coat remover
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
    Thanks for the tip cycledude. I have never heard of clearcoat remover. That sounds like the hot ticket.
    Until Rocky mentioned it I had never heard of it before, the stuff worked like magic, I never expected it to be that easy
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aluminum Corrosion

I have seen this before from being washed with water from a salt water softner system. Especially if washed & cleaned up for winter storage when the moisture doesn't evaporate off quickly in the cooler weather. The water born salt wreaks havoic on the aluminum whereever there is a nick inthe coar coat over the aluminum.
    The stripping of the clear coat & polishing sounds viable & the high luster of polished aluminum looks great.
    Farmer Jack

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope all I did was polish each cover with aluminum polish for about 10 minutes and re install them, if you really were ambitious about polishing I think you could make them really shine

The brand of clear coat remover I happened to use is Aircraft, peeler base coat and clear coat remover
    I will probably not recoat mine either.

A high polish is beneficial in more ways than just appearance. The higher the shine, the more closed the pores are in the metal. When the pores are closed, the finish resists corrosion and dulling better, and you can go much longer between polishing. Of course, it all depends on where you live too. It will not hold up as well in areas of high humidity, as opposed to arid areas like the southwest
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like

As probably most know already, the new Hondas have blacked out engine parts. I do not know whether they are powder coated or painted, but they do look good. I would probably go the powder coating route as that would be a lot more durable than paint and those heads are very close to the road surface.

LD Rider since '75 and still going.
    AMA 672853 (Life)
    IBA 8846 Premier
    NRA 0415685108 (Life, We really do vote)
    Present Rides:
    2007 Metallic Orange Gold Wing (#4)
    195/55R-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP RF

2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Yeah, baby!!!)
    2000 Honda VTR1000F
    Past Rides:
    Who cares?

Post Thanks / Like

A high polish is beneficial in more ways than just appearance. The higher the shine, the more closed the pores are in the metal. When the pores are closed, the finish resists corrosion and dulling better, and you can go much longer between polishing. Of course, it all depends on where you live too. It will not hold up as well in areas of high humidity, as opposed to arid areas like the southwest

Take them to a place that polishes wheels and gas tanks for 18 wheelers and in short time using various grits will buff it to a mirror finish if you wish. My son does that sort of thing and some of these show trucks look like they are chromed. I personally prefer a brushed finish.
    Les

PROWLER #67
    IRON BUTT ASSOCIATION #33529
    U.S. Naval Cryptologic Veterans Ass'n
    RETIRED AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Fuller View Post

Ron
    Wow Ron, those look nice!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
    Take them to a place that polishes wheels and gas tanks for 18 wheelers and in short time using various grits will buff it to a mirror finish if you wish. My son does that sort of thing and some of these show trucks look like they are chromed. I personally prefer a brushed finish.
    I prefer the brushed finish too, with clear coat over it, but how does an amateur do that without it looking like an amateur did it? I have tried to do a brushed finish on aluminum front panels of test instruments I built, and it looked ok, but it would not be good enough for a bike.

I can proudly say that I can do a lot of things, but refinishing isn't one of them. I have very little creative talent..
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Well Gang,
    I've polished aluminum for decades and, while sometimes it can be a real pain, it can turn out like a diamond, based on the process(s) being used. I would have done that to mine but, I opted for Chroming. We've had a Chrome shop in our town that's been here since God was a kid. They quoted me $130 for both of them or, I should say, for all FOUR pieces. So, I couldn't turn that down. It took them about a week. I couldn't be happier. But, I'm a chrome type guy. Many on here don't like Chrome and, that's OK. Everyone's different. No biggie. I polished my GL 1500 ones and they turned out like a mirror. So, if you're at all thinking about polishing them, it's quite a bit of work. Good luck.
    Scott

I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it

Scott & Karla
    Dark Sider 556
    KI6OND 73s
    Ramona, CA
    '08 Level II Caliente Red Metallic
    '02 Level I Stream Silver Metallic GW 1800
    '94 Glacier Pearl White SE GL 1500
    '85 1200 Aspencade
    '84 1200 Interstate
    RETIRED, 29.5 YEARS, SDFD

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
    Well Gang,
    I've polished aluminum for decades and, while sometimes it can be a real pain, it can turn out like a diamond, based on the process(s) being used. I would have done that to mine but, I opted for Chroming. We've had a Chrome shop in our town that's been here since God was a kid. They quoted me $130 for both of them or, I should say, for all FOUR pieces. So, I couldn't turn that down. It took them about a week. I couldn't be happier. But, I'm a chrome type guy. Many on here don't like Chrome and, that's OK. Everyone's different. No biggie. I polished my GL 1500 ones and they turned out like a mirror. So, if you're at all thinking about polishing them, it's quite a bit of work. Good luck.
    Scott
    I am not a big chrome guy. But in the right places, such as engine parts, it looks really nice. Those chrome valve covers look nice on your bike.

We have a lot of shops that do chrome in Cleveland, but not being up on who does the quality work and who to stay away from, I'm reluctant to just pick one and leave it to chance. I would be really pissed if it started peeling in a few years.
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like

It's a clear coat they put on them that is peeling off. You need to make sure you get powdercoat for high heat.
    Costa Mesa, CA
    2012 Red level 3

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a big chrome guy. But in the right places, such as engine parts, it looks really nice. Those chrome valve covers look nice on your bike.

We have a lot of shops that do chrome in Cleveland, but not being up on who does the quality work and who to stay away from, I'm reluctant to just pick one and leave it to chance. I would be really pissed if it started peeling in a few years.
    LarryM,
    I too would be pissed if that chrome started to peel. But, about the best I could say here is, we've had that little Chrome shop in that part of town for quite a while and, it's always done outstanding work. I've got pieces of stuff they did over 20 years ago and it looks as good now as it did the day I picked them up from the shop. I think that it's closed now. I think it was due to the NAZI rules of environmental agencies. When I had the valve covers done, they said it was getting painfully tough to stay in business here in CA and they didn't know how much longer they would keep working. It's really too bad.

They told me that it would be around $120.00 to do the front wheel. I should have jumped on that, back then. I really don't mind polishing aluminum. I've got a half dozen types of polish, paste, liquids, rouges bars (different colors for different stages of polishing) and more. My wheels have been mistaken for chrome by many. It makes me proud. I enjoy riding but, I also enjoy making my bike look nice too.
    Scott
    I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it

Scott & Karla
    Dark Sider 556
    KI6OND 73s
    Ramona, CA
    '08 Level II Caliente Red Metallic
    '02 Level I Stream Silver Metallic GW 1800
    '94 Glacier Pearl White SE GL 1500
    '85 1200 Aspencade
    '84 1200 Interstate
    RETIRED, 29.5 YEARS, SDFD

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope all I did was polish each cover with aluminum polish for about 10 minutes and re install them, if you really were ambitious about polishing I think you could make them really shine.
    I don't know what kind of aluminum polish you used but I use Bushes Aluminum Polish. Best polish I have ever used and it works quickly. I like the looks of polished aluminum over chrome but that is just me.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the brushed finish too, with clear coat over it, but how does an amateur do that without it looking like an amateur did it? I have tried to do a brushed finish on aluminum front panels of test instruments I built, and it looked ok, but it would not be good enough for a bike.
    The best way to give a professional brushed finish on aluminum is to use green Scotch Brite and rub it back and forth in the same direction. I prefer green but white could be used for a finer brushed look.
    Les

PROWLER #67
    IRON BUTT ASSOCIATION #33529
    U.S. Naval Cryptologic Veterans Ass'n
    RETIRED AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.