Flashing brake lights help needed
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flashing brake lights help needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flashing brake lights help needed

I ran into a Candy Red GL1800 with a nice flashing brake light setup. Not the normal brake light on the spoiler.

The fellow said he had gotten it at Americade but doesn't know vendor and/or brand.

The setup alternates the two brake lights located on the trunk.
    Each of those lights has two sections. The electronics alternates between the outer most lights and inner most pair.

I was a little more impressed with the effect than the normal flashing spoiler brake light.

Hope I made myself clear and that someone could give me a hint to find a supplier.

Thanks
    Don Swanburg
    Nashua, NH
    2012 Red ABS

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Default tailBlazer

Don,

After getting rear-ended at a stoplight years ago, I needed something to prevent another accident. I use the tailBlazer product on my 1800. Works great! Easy to install too.

http://www.kisantech.com/kisanWeb3/frameSample.htm

Look at the Demo - http://www.kisantech.com/kisanWeb3/tailDemo.htm to see how the lights flash.

The brake light graphic is somewhat accurate, however, not exactly. My brake lights flash very quickly on & off, a few seconds, then slowly flash until they stay on.

I have had very good results with the tailBlazer. Motorists following a bit too close for my comfort back off quickly when I tap the brakes for a second or two. Seems to wake them up when they see the flashing brake lights.

"Only Motorcyclists Can Appreciate Why Dogs Love to Put Their Heads Out the Window"
    Lean it and Mean it!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default trailblazer

K3WR
    Are you a HAM, no I dont mean the miss piggy kind either.
    roger/orangestreak
    kg6ond

Post Thanks / Like

Default flashing tail lights

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.
    2012 Red ABS

Post Thanks / Like

Don, there are 3 good units I know of, the Kisan (whiich I have and am very pleased with) Back-oof brake light modulator (which is sold by HDL) and The Brake Dancer, (sold by V&P accessories). It's this tird unit that sounds like what your looking for. look it up at http://www.vpaccessories.com
    Closetchef... but the clothes don't mind

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default alternating brake lights

FWIW
    You might want to check on legality of alternating brake lights. I seem to remember some thing about all flashing at same time is ok but any alternating side to side or up and down is illegal (somewhere).
    The bad guy/s is/are winning.

The ONLY HOPE4CHANGE is 2VOTETHEINSOUT!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reply to Roger/Orangestreak

Roger,

QSL, yes I am a "hamateur"

73's de K3WR
    Lean it and Mean it!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooops...... not sure which brand I ended up buying.....it flashes all the brake lights simultaniously for a few seconds and then stays on constantly....I got it from Lewis at Elect. Connections. It was extremely easy to install.....5 min in the parking lot at Americade and it surely makes those behind really pay attention.......joy
    HWG
    the other joy
    02 pearl orange
    13 F 700 GS
    MSF Rider Coach
    GWRRA
    Red Knight

R I P Beverly....

The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Closetchef
    Don, there are 3 good units I know of, the Kisan (whiich I have and am very pleased with) Back-oof brake light modulator (which is sold by HDL) and The Brake Dancer, (sold by V&P accessories). It's this tird unit that sounds like what your looking for. look it up at http://www.vpaccessories.com
    Hey Chef, if you don't like a product, you don't have to call it a tird. ROTFLMAO.
    Lucky Phil
    2007 GL1800 Level 3
    LIMNCS #5
    Buy to ride.
    You CAN get there from here!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can't be legal?

I don't believe they are legal. They would too closely emulate the law. Most officers are quick to pinch violators on this type of infraction.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Brake flasher

Not to muddy the water, but I purchased a strobe-modual from "Radiantz" - a Google searchwill take you to their site, (or, e-mail me and I'll look for their address). I hooked it in-line with Lewis' (EC's)rear reflector replacement LED. I went this route as it's my opinion flashing too many lights can be both irritating and confusing for the cagers. My low-on-the-rear-fender LED is now a running light, and a strobing brake-light. Upon brake application it strobes for 1.5 seconds, then stay's bright, steadily, until I release both brakes levers and re-apply. You can set a variety of strobe-sequences. When stationary at stop-lights, etc. this rear-light is typically below the hood-level of the cager behind you, but I'm told it's very obvious when I'm on the brakes in traffic. Another option - nothing more. I subscribe whole-heartedly with the theory "lotsa lites, saves lives". Too many near-rear enders in my career.
    Chad - Phoenix
    Yellow '02 non-ABS
    '98 Foretravel U320
    '62 Boeing 720B

"Talk is cheap because supply far exceeds demand"

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kriss

Sounds like you are looking for Kriss brakelight flashers.

http://kriss.com/

Peter...

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I run the Kriss spoiler unit with a cut-off switch to kill the flashing, if needed. Works fine for me. Usual disclaimers apply...not affiliated with anyone, at anytime, at anyplace.
    Pappy

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a 4th alternative. The 'Integrator' that's used by chetswing:
    http://www.rattlebars.com/chetswing/integrator.html
    This one is different in that it also makes the trunk lights act in
    conjunction with the turn signals, essentially moving the turn signals up more in the cagers line-of-sight. It can be mounted with a switch to
    disable the flashing in those states which outlaw flashing taillights.
    2004 ABS - Candy Black Cherry

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh, brake light modulator legality finally comes up. Several states have adopted legislation in regards to this, with CA being the first. They allow up to 4 seconds of modulation, then the lights must go steady. All the lights must flash at the same time, no back and forth action as that can be confused with an emergency vehicle. The Kisan Pathblazer (available from our sponsor) meets the requirements, is about a 5 minute install, and is what I have on my bike.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.